Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Size up the text a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

This is the one guys.

I'm serious. It's clear and it's funny.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the face in that one?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Do that but without the screen filled up on the gamepad

I started off trying to do this, but I couldn't get it to look good, so I ended up making a completely different one:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I tried one like that but it looks, at a glance, like the generic "on" symbol

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Liku posted:

What's the face in that one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92mFlANJ3Ew

And I agree with Bobnumerotres

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Size up the text a bit

big text doesn't facilitate the centered one, but how about

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like it a lot, it'll stand out compared to the other tags which are getting a little samey

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Teenage Fansub posted:

This looks perfect.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Liku posted:

This looks perfect.

Agreed, it's decent.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Teenage Fansub posted:

Voting for this one.

I was at the Nintendo World Store in NYC today and was able to try out the Wii U. The only game demo available was Rayman for some reason. It had two levels, one of which was a music level. It's reminiscent of the treasure chase levels in Origins. In other words it's fantastic.

The other level was a Murphy level. Playing it didn't alleviate any of my concerns about playing as Murphy. Rayman is controlled by the AI, while you play as Murphy which just includes swiping ropes and enemies, moving platforms, and tilting the gamepad to spin a wheel. Its very slow and plodding and just pales in comparison to the fluid platforming of the music level and everything level in Origins.

It was a tutorial level so maybe in the final product these levels with become more interesting.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

I like this one too, you don't have to read it to be able to tell what it is.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012
So in all the promotional stuff, they market it as working with the WiiMote+, aka the Wiimote with MotionPlus built in. It will still be compatible with my Wiimotes that just have the MotionPlus nub attached, right?

Also, what's the pricing on the Pro controller?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Please use this.

scottus posted:

Also, what's the pricing on the Pro controller?

$49.99

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just use this one so we don't waste another page squinting at teeny tiny thread tags that most people will pass over in lieu of "SEX" or something similarly inappropriate.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

I say we go for this one.

scottus posted:

So in all the promotional stuff, they market it as working with the WiiMote+, aka the Wiimote with MotionPlus built in. It will still be compatible with my Wiimotes that just have the MotionPlus nub attached, right?

I think they would work, but I'm not too sure.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

scottus posted:

Yes, definitely. Wii Remote Plus = Wii Remote with Motion Plus.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: oops

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Wii U, volume one! (click)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(Laughs)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
That was an interesting read. I didn't even think about the Wii U's GPU and CPU possibly being on the same chip like with the slim 360 (and I think one of the models of the slim PS2?) I guess that'll be the standard for future consoles?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even though they tested extensively that makes me worried about heat because I have so many god drat devices in my living room putting out heat and it's the one room without a vent and that's a small package for a lot of heat. But hell, if my 360s hasn't fried yet, this probably won't.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's fun to watch a bunch of old Japanese guys nerd out about the hardware design and fan placement.

(Laughs)

e: Especially because were were all just nerding out about font sizing and color schemes for tiny thread tags, right?

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Brawl was what sold me on the Wii.

Waiting until 2008 for it was... difficult. Finding that the online was often unplayable was worse.

Yeah the online gameplay was pretty terrible. I've seen a 2 minute match take about 3 minutes because the game kept freezing up. The games that had good connection were alot of fun. Hopefully they concentrate on the online aspect a little more in the next game.

They also need to make SSB4 able to be updated via downloadable patches so they can fix imbalances. Something that SSBB needed desperately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Super Camper posted:

Yeah the online gameplay was pretty terrible. I've seen a 2 minute match take about 3 minutes because the game kept freezing up. The games that had good connection were alot of fun. Hopefully they concentrate on the online aspect a little more in the next game.

They also need to make SSB4 able to be updated via downloadable patches so they can fix imbalances. Something that SSBB needed desperately.

Pbbt I don't think they would loving care. The way Sakurai did it, even if everyone moaned about Metaknight/Snake and he was able to patch the game he'd say "Well just use items to even out the odds! :downs:"

I am so glad Namco is working on it. Hopefully the game turns out to be more like Melee/Project M and less like the floaty-rear end brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYijHDzDXU The game could've been so much better.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 11, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Can we, like, not start in on the stupid-rear end Melee vs Brawl bandwagon? This is not the place for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, forget Brawl/Melee/Wii U SSB. The real question is whether or not Brawl Blog is gonna come back. That poo poo was the BEST!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ That poo poo was amazing. Got to see something new every day. I remember the amount of shits that were taken when Sonic was revealed.

Chaltab posted:

Can we, like, not start in on the stupid-rear end Melee vs Brawl bandwagon? This is not the place for it.

The entire melee vs. brawl "argument" is "Well Brawl introduced tons of new content and it's gorgeous but all of the fighting mechanics were so dumbed down that it's very shallow" vs. "but I don't care I just want to beat up Pikachu as Peach and whether or not the game is deep doesn't affect me so I don't see what the issue is :downs:"

And I think this is the right place for it because, before monster hunter, I think a lot of people were pushed over the edge on this console by the promise of a future smash bros. I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping it will be balanced and have advanced mechanics on the Wii U thread, especially since any Smash bros. threads are dead.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

Man, forget Brawl/Melee/Wii U SSB. The real question is whether or not Brawl Blog is gonna come back. That poo poo was the BEST!

I kinda hope it doesn't, but if it does the game had better live up to the hype that the blog provides.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ That poo poo was amazing. Got to see something new every day. I remember the amount of shits that were taken when Sonic was revealed.

The entire melee vs. brawl "argument" is "Well Brawl introduced tons of new content and it's gorgeous but all of the fighting mechanics were so dumbed down that it's very shallow" vs. "but I don't care I just want to beat up Pikachu as Peach and whether or not the game is deep doesn't affect me so I don't see what the issue is :downs:"

And I think this is the right place for it because, before monster hunter, I think a lot of people were pushed over the edge on this console by the promise of a future smash bros. I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping it will be balanced and have advanced mechanics on the Wii U thread, especially since any Smash bros. threads are dead.

I think one big problem with the Melee vs. Brawl argument is that folks who take the Melee side of the argument are apparently unable to make their points without coming off as a huge condescending dick in the process, as shown here.

Are you really unable to comprehend why someone would like Brawl over Melee outside of "WELL OBVIOUSLY THEY JUST DON'T LIKE ADVANCED MECHANICS"? It's garbage and basically GameFAQs level of discourse

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I agree. I remember going there each day like: "WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?"

And I also agree on not starting the big Melee vs Brawl debate again for the millionth time in this thread alone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

A cool drat horse posted:

I think one big problem with the Melee vs. Brawl argument is that folks who take the Melee side of the argument are apparently unable to make their points without coming off as a huge condescending dick in the process, as shown here.

Are you really unable to comprehend why someone would like Brawl over Melee outside of "WELL OBVIOUSLY THEY JUST DON'T LIKE ADVANCED MECHANICS"? It's garbage and basically GameFAQs level of discourse

I just saw the Master and I'm trying to remember how Hoffman put it, but it was basically, "How can we have a discussion if you've already made up your mind and it conflicts with anything I could possibly say?"

That's a Brawl vs. Melee discussion.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A cool drat horse posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said brawl vs. melee, more like people who don't think Smash bros should be a fighting game vs. people who think it can be both a fighter and a party game.

But yeah, let's end the discussion here. Sorry.

I wonder what kind of art style the game will adopt. Will it look something like playstation all stars? I've seen people playing it and I don't know, all the models look like they bathed in grease, and they sort of clash with the backgrounds.

Then again, it's insanely difficult to take all these different characters from different games and genres and make them all blend together. The people behind the art in MvC3 are geniuses.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said brawl vs. melee, more like people who don't think Smash bros should be a fighting game vs. people who think it can be both a fighter and a party game.

But yeah, let's end the discussion here. Sorry.

I wonder what kind of art style the game will adopt. Will it look something like playstation all stars? I've seen people playing it and I don't know, all the models look like they bathed in grease, and they sort of clash with the backgrounds.

Then again, it's insanely difficult to take all these different characters from different games and genres and make them all blend together. The people behind the art in MvC3 are geniuses.

I think they've done well with the art style since Melee and Original. It's kind of all over the place with Brawl. I hope this game returns to its roots better, that's all I'm saying don't turn this into a drat Melee vs Brawl / Casuals vs Tourney Player sort of thing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The bad part about the blog was when an update would be underwhelming. Is it gonna be a new character? No, just an item :negative:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Guess who's not a playable character?! loving Little Mac, bitches!

I remember when people were setting the internet ablaze for that. It was glorious. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Urdnot Fire posted:

The bad part about the blog was when an update would be underwhelming. Is it gonna be a new character? No, just an item :negative:

And it was on Japan time too, so if you were really hyped for it you'd be up at like 3 AM just refreshing over and over again. Hoping to get some awesome stage or something and THEN...!

An article about the fire flower. Better luck tomorrow.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

I remember being really, really excited when they revealed Ridley as a Boss, and this was his reworked theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHrdNI7yiY Just pure loving metal.

And then he turned out to be Master Hand in a Ridley dress.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I've actually been playing vanilla Brawl a bit recently, going through Classic Mode with the characters I hadn't completed it with to get their Trophies. Honestly, the art design there is really great. Like, I don't think you could make better looking Ice Climbers with all the GPU bells and whistles in the world, because the Brawl models are a perfect blend of their old school simplicity of shape with Wii-caliber textures. They really don't have to do anything but scale it up.

The design has the effect strange sort of quasi-realism: in terms of models, the characters retain their shapes from their own games while still having very realistic (by Wii standards anyway) textures. Toon Link is a good example of this.

The biggest misstep I think is when they stray from that--Zero Suit Samus for example, looks plastic compared to the rest of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I kinda wish he'd done the same thing for Kid Icarus, but at the same time the whole "by the way, this game is a million times bigger than we told you, enjoy!" thing was neat, too.

• Locked thread