Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Went dipnetting for reds on the Kenai this past summer for the first time. It was a good year for it. I didn't even limit out, I stopped at 10 fish because I basically had no freezer space to even put them in.

Next time I'm doing my own cleaning, my buddy left them kind of sandy.

Also take note of the home-made dipnet on the bed constructed entirely from an old walker and two different trampolines. Alaskan engineering at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
So with all the lures I've been caught up with trying this season it seems I kept overlooking the simple plastic worm. A guy at the boat launch passed me a pack after having a great day and I had a rather blah day despite fishing in the same area. The first time I went out with them (zoom finesse worms/watermelon seed) I caught 22 largemouth in about 4 hours by texas rigging them with a 2/0 gamakatsu hook and fishing along hydrilla/milfoil mats and some sunken lumber. Granted they were smaller fish, maybe a pound to a pound and a half and only one or two longer than 14 inches but they were still quite fun to pull in. Since then I've mostly been fishing with the finesse worms and occasionally a bone spook and regularly pull in 10 or more a trip, mostly on the worms but I get hits on the spook when they're feeling really rowdy.

So remember that when you feel lure-crazy. I bought quite a few this year but in the end a $5 pack of 20 finesse worms produced the most fun. I'll try not to forget about them again. :)

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Plastic worms, road runner and cheap lures like that are my favorites. They catch fish all day, easy to use and if you loose one who cares, it is like 60 cents worth of lure. I have a box full of cheap stuff like that I use way more than anything else.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Would this be an ok place to ask for a crab identification? I have no idea where else to turn, so am going to ask it here. There's a place on the Georgia Coast Line that I go to just about every chance I can. It's in a deep water creek, about forty yards across, and about twenty feet deep at mid-tide with an eight foot tide. It's in the middle of the marsh, about 100 yards from land. The crab traps that we set out we throw towards the center, and usually catch only Atlantic blue crabs with an occasional stone crab.
Usually, we catch around twenty good size blue crab within the first three or four days along with a couple of stone crab. Well, this year we set out the crab traps for around five days. For the first time ever, we managed to catch no blue crabs, but five stone crabs. Strangely, we found another crab that I had never seen before. It was an olive coloring with black tipped claws, with a lateral spine not as prominent as a blue crab, but still having the deep anterolateral teeth. I didn't see the underside, but I got a lovely phone picture.

e, vv I don't know whether or not it would be illegal to catch anything, but the crab did end up being able to crawl out
I forgot to add, we also managed to get an oyster toadfish in the same trap the next night

Boneitis fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Boneitis posted:

Would this be an ok place to ask for a crab identification? I have no idea where else to turn, so am going to ask it here. There's a place on the Georgia Coast Line that I go to just about every chance I can. It's in a deep water creek, about forty yards across, and about twenty feet deep at mid-tide with an eight foot tide. It's in the middle of the marsh, about 100 yards from land. The crab traps that we set out we throw towards the center, and usually catch only Atlantic blue crabs with an occasional stone crab.
Usually, we catch around twenty good size blue crab within the first three or four days along with a couple of stone crab. Well, this year we set out the crab traps for around five days. For the first time ever, we managed to catch no blue crabs, but five stone crabs. Strangely, we found another crab that I had never seen before. It was an olive coloring with black tipped claws, with a lateral spine not as prominent as a blue crab, but still having the deep anterolateral teeth. I didn't see the underside, but I got a lovely phone picture.

When it comes to identifing species of animals my first response is to call the wardens in your area, they will know within 100% accuracy what species you caught, legality of catch and if you can keep it. That quick call/trip can save you a lot of hassle and money if you caught something illegal.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Greenies are in my area and a ton of small black tips and bonnet heads followed them in. Some as big as 6 ft could be seen at the deeper edge of the cut. Threw green backs and shrimps under a popping cork and got trash: short trout, big needlefish. Buddy put a needlefish under a bobber and chucked it 7 feet in front of where we were wading. A shark took off with it within seconds and made his drag scream. We backed away and he ended up getting cut off, he had 40# flouro. I managed a 25"ish snook on a tiny green back as the tide started coming in. he put up a hell of a fight, no doubt inspired by the ton of sharks everywhere.

I bought some 18" 30lb test wire leaders and 5/0 Owner live bait J hooks to be better prepared. Stopped by today and just got a big needlefish on a skitterwalk. Tide was incredibly low yet still saw a couple 3 ft sharks cruising the edge of a grass flat.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 11, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Thought I'd stop by and post this video I made on catching dungeness crab off a pier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fir9AlcWObw (Sorry for the random chatter in the background)

I suck at fishing. I know :(

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

This is my first "full season" of catfishing and really the first year I've catfished seriously, beginning in March. The fall turnover is in full swing here in NC, with water temps dipping into the low 60s. Aside from Labor Day when I caught my last big cat (and biggest cat of the year, I might add)and some light fishing when camping with a bunch of nonfishers lat weekend, I had my first trip yesterday.

I woke up at 6:30 ready to hit up the lake. This is really the first weekend I've been free so I just wanted to fish and didn't put too much thought into temps aside from "they'll probably be deeper" and everything else I've read about typical Fall patterns (which tends to be conflicting). Problem number 1: ambient temp was in the 40s. I know that for winter fishing, I'll need cold weather gear, but I didn't stop to think about it this early in the year. The first thing I did was order some scupper stops so in the future I don't have to worry about sitting in water (I've never really taken any on aside from paddle drip). I ended up waiting until the afternoon to head out.

It's obvious the summer holes are dried up and that's really no surprise, but I couldn't catch a fish anywhere. I hit up a less than 100 acre "lake" and fished just about every conceivable spot, from the dam to the creek, using cut chicken gizzards marinated in garlic and fresh cut sunfish. Could have just been since it was the middle of the day, but usually when I fish this thoroughly I catch something.

To top it all off, when I got in and was unloading my gear, I noticed my favorite little micro lite combo was MIA. Usually I keep it stored below deck, but it wasn't there. I must have left it at the camping spot last week :(. Not sure how I did that.

Gonna head out later this afternoon after I get some work done and try fishing more around dusk/sunset. It's a little warmer today, so we'll see what's up. We had a front come in on Sunday and a few rainy days, but weather has been stable since Wednesday, so it might just be that they're in that most active at night pattern. I was also thinking of trying another lake, but I imagine it'll be pretty busy in the afternoon today so I'll prob just fish the same place.

Anyway, any tips for cold weather clothes for kayak fishing? I did some looking and holy crap some of these clothes are expensive. Budget is an issue.

Also, I wonder if there are any other serious catmen around here? I've been checking this site out regularly for the past year: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php

The avatars in the NC forum alone are weekend web worthy. These guys look like what you'd expect a cafish guy to look like.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 14, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Any tips for cold weather clothes for kayak fishing? I did some looking and holy crap some of these clothes are expensive. Budget is an issue.

Also, I wonder if there are any other serious catmen around here? I've been checking this site out regularly for the past year: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php

I am not a super serious catfishing angler but with winter near I turn into a decent catman in my kayak, Ill help where I can.

When it comes to clothing for winter kayaking you want layers and layer since you will get warm from paddling and you want clothing you can move in. I use a nice set of 2mm neoprene breathable waders as my base for pants and a gortex/waterproof jacket up top. Underneath I normally wear a pair of thinsulated upper and lower thermals and a nice pair of warm socks. I have a nice hat that has a pull out nose and throat protector I got at Academy for cheap along with a pair of decent thin gloves for warmth/flexability.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Been fishing the Mississippi river near St. Paul/Minneapolis the last few weekends and we've been boating some really nice walleyes. I need to upload pictures later, but in the last three weeks I caught a 27.5", 25.5", 24", 23.5" and a few in the 19-22" range. The quality of fish in this stretch of the river is unbelievable, I've never seen anything like it. I would bet our average length is somewhere around 20", just unreal. I have only caught one fish under 20", and that was a 19 incher.

One of my buddies caught a 26.5" literally one cast before I caught the 27.5"(our casts were within about 4 feet of each other too. I doubt I'll ever see anything like that again.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

Hopefully this post revitalizes a great thread, perhaps with ice-fishing goodness now that Winter is coming on. Any veteran icefishers out there? I may give a go of it for my first time this year.

Unrelated to that... I'm pretty sure this is a horrible idea (and possibly illegal) and kind of just want confirmation of that fact. How bad would it be to slowly stock say, one lake that is a few miles away from another lake, by catching in one and releasing in the other? Suppose all fish caught could legally be kept, and that they could be safely and quickly transported. I'm not sure how different the water is but would be more than willing to take pH readings or whatever is needed to make sure the fish would be okay in there.

I'm sure some people will say I couldn't possibly make a large enough difference to make this worth it at all but the target lake is really small, and I fish a lot so I think I could successfully stock it over time.

Why? I found this very small lake and am pretty sure not many people know about it. I was interested in getting it super stocked up over time with a variety of species so I have my go to spot when I want to take the nephews somewhere for guaranteed action. I get regular catches at the big lake and would be transporting them in large minnow buckets.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

EnsignVix posted:

Hopefully this post revitalizes a great thread, perhaps with ice-fishing goodness now that Winter is coming on. Any veteran icefishers out there? I may give a go of it for my first time this year.

Unrelated to that... I'm pretty sure this is a horrible idea (and possibly illegal) and kind of just want confirmation of that fact. How bad would it be to slowly stock say, one lake that is a few miles away from another lake, by catching in one and releasing in the other? Suppose all fish caught could legally be kept, and that they could be safely and quickly transported. I'm not sure how different the water is but would be more than willing to take pH readings or whatever is needed to make sure the fish would be okay in there.

I'm sure some people will say I couldn't possibly make a large enough difference to make this worth it at all but the target lake is really small, and I fish a lot so I think I could successfully stock it over time.

Why? I found this very small lake and am pretty sure not many people know about it. I was interested in getting it super stocked up over time with a variety of species so I have my go to spot when I want to take the nephews somewhere for guaranteed action. I get regular catches at the big lake and would be transporting them in large minnow buckets.

I would be worried if it is private or federal land the lake is on. I would say when in doubt ask the local game wardens about the legal issues on that, there could be a big penatly for introducing fish species to a lake and I would rather ask first from the law before doing anything that could get you into trouble.

I will be posting my catfish trips here soon, with the temperature in the lower 70s in south TX and the water temp colder I can swap to catfishing and stock the ole freezer for the spring fish fry.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been fishing from the SUP and doing pretty well on redfish. Sadly they left the beautiful sandy beach flats and are now posted up in the gator filled mangroves. Tis the life of a fisherman.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rythe posted:

I would be worried if it is private or federal land the lake is on. I would say when in doubt ask the local game wardens about the legal issues on that, there could be a big penatly for introducing fish species to a lake and I would rather ask first from the law before doing anything that could get you into trouble.

I will be posting my catfish trips here soon, with the temperature in the lower 70s in south TX and the water temp colder I can swap to catfishing and stock the ole freezer for the spring fish fry.

I know I'm way late on this, but definitely check your local laws. It may be legal in some places, but here in the Pacific NW it's a huge no-no. Not that people don't do it all the time (I even heard about someone getting caught trying to transplant a full grown Sturgeon), but it can cause major havoc with our local lakes. It will boggle the minds of most of you, but they don't even allow live minnows to be used as bait. I know there's at least one major Oregon lake that's had to be killed off multiple times due to people dumping bait minnows that take over the ecosystem.

That said, I fish tons of lakes with spineyback species that only exist due to "bucket biologists", but you really need to be careful.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Transporting anything from lake to lake is usually a big no-no in Minnesota, I'd be very careful doing anything like that.

I'm going ice fishing tonight and tomorrow, I'll report back with my(probably lack of) success.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The weather in north TX has been so bad the last few months, haven't had my kayak out on the water since Oct I think. I can handle the cold weather, the cold water and all of that, it is the 25+ mph winds that suck and make it so unsafe to go out.

I am going trough fishing withdrawals I think, at the least I need to get my kayak out on the water soon. Anybody else been stuck indoors lately or has there been a few good fishing trips this year?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well we didn't get to fish as much as I would have liked, a few other people came up that needed to be...babysitted. I probably caught a half dozen crappies and a couple perch in the few hours we fished. Not too bad really, not fast and furious by any means but I had a good time.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Anyone interested in an effortpost on how to run a net under a foot of ice? Net fishing is still fishing, right :)

edit: It isn't like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIs00QjiJZQ

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 21, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I know I'm way late on this, but definitely check your local laws. It may be legal in some places, but here in the Pacific NW it's a huge no-no. Not that people don't do it all the time (I even heard about someone getting caught trying to transplant a full grown Sturgeon), but it can cause major havoc with our local lakes. It will boggle the minds of most of you, but they don't even allow live minnows to be used as bait. I know there's at least one major Oregon lake that's had to be killed off multiple times due to people dumping bait minnows that take over the ecosystem.

That said, I fish tons of lakes with spineyback species that only exist due to "bucket biologists", but you really need to be careful.
Yeah, I imagine a lot of states have some verbiage in their fish and game manual like this:

1. It is unlawful to: transport live fish into, within or out of this state; hold any live fish in the waters of this state; or release or attempt to
release any live fish into the waters of this state; except as provided by OAR 635-007-0600(3)(a) for aquaria fish intended for aquaria
use and those holding a valid Fish Transport Permit.
2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when
taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
3. Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish and fish eggs may be used as bait. Goldfish may not be used as bait or in angler’s
possession while angling.
4. It is unlawful to use lamprey as bait in any recreational fishery.
5. Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody
in which they were taken.
6. Live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
There is some variance on the rules, however, which is why it's doubly important to find out for yourself. For instance:

coyo7e posted:

2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
6. Live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.
Both of these are legal in Wisconsin. Hell, bait shops keep the leeches right next to the tins of worms.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, tax return is in the bank, roof rack is here, and I just got a raise! Getting pretty close to kayak ordering time! I think I'm gonna go with the Jackson Cuda 12. They've made some pretty nice additions to all the 2013 models. I just hope it fits into what passes as the big elevator in my building...

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

Well, tax return is in the bank, roof rack is here, and I just got a raise! Getting pretty close to kayak ordering time! I think I'm gonna go with the Jackson Cuda 12. They've made some pretty nice additions to all the 2013 models. I just hope it fits into what passes as the big elevator in my building...

Nice kayak there, pretty good one to paddle and good amount of room for add ons and additional goodies. I can not remember but does that kayak come with a rudder add-on at all? If so I would highly recommend getting one, a rudder makes for a much more enjoyable fishing experience.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rythe posted:

Nice kayak there, pretty good one to paddle and good amount of room for add ons and additional goodies. I can not remember but does that kayak come with a rudder add-on at all? If so I would highly recommend getting one, a rudder makes for a much more enjoyable fishing experience.

It's an option for a couple hundred extra bucks. Can something like that be added later or is it best to just get it from the factory?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

It's an option for a couple hundred extra bucks. Can something like that be added later or is it best to just get it from the factory?

It is a doable on your own if you have some basic mechanical skills, you have to install the controls, the rudder and run all the cables though, would take a few hours and drilling into your kayak. Or you can bring it to a local kayak shop and have them do it.

After fishing with and with out a rudder on kayaks, I will never use a boat without a rudder, makes it a lot easier to keep on line when fishing a shore line without having to correct all the time with a paddle. A rudder has gotten me spoiled over time but I am ok with that.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reel men go wherever the wind takes them.

<desperately tries to develop rudder for paddle board>

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tesilential posted:

Reel men go wherever the wind takes them.

<desperately tries to develop rudder for paddle board>

lol guess I need to find a skirt to go with my board shorts then :). Do you fish off a paddle board? If so that is pretty bad rear end and have never seen that before, would be kind of neat if that was possible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are only 7 colors, why can't I figure out which one I want?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

lol guess I need to find a skirt to go with my board shorts then :). Do you fish off a paddle board? If so that is pretty bad rear end and have never seen that before, would be kind of neat if that was possible.

Oh it's definitely possible ;). Ive heard I'm not the only one but never seen anyone here in Tampa Bay do it..

Lately been wading since I can do it after work.

I posted some more pics on the bottom of the last page. I have some new ones I'll post soon

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

fknlo posted:

There are only 7 colors, why can't I figure out which one I want?

When in doubt, go with a nice high visibility color (unless you plan on hunting out of it), that way boats at least have a slightly better chance of seeing you when you are on big lakes. Safety is always a concern on kayaks and a good, bright color boat is a good start to that, then again this is coming from a guy that has a olive green color kayak, but I do hunt out of mine though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fourth quater bonus: 7'6 4wt glass rod

Going to hit up the Shenandoah park this weekend to catch some brookies.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dik Hz posted:

Fourth quater bonus: 7'6 4wt glass rod

Going to hit up the Shenandoah park this weekend to catch some brookies.

Good luck! Never been fly fishing but I imagine it's a blast.

The other day I finally hooked my first bass of 2013 right before I trailered my boat. Been slow going bite wise on Guntersville for awhile now but it should start picking up here before long as the water warms up and the whole spawn activity stuff kicks in.

My birthday was in January and I decided to splurge and picked up a Lew's Tournament Pro reel. Now I can only compare it to my old $30 Pflueger Monarch but it blows that away and so far it has been an awesome and super smooth reel. So smooth that you really don't feel the gears at all when reeling or fighting a fish. I've heard a few people complain about the lack of feeling that but I personally like it. It's quite light and it casts lipless crankbaits a mile. The main draw for me is the fact that I can actually cast into the wind now and not get brutal backlash which is a big deal on Guntersville! :)

Something I learned after I bought mine of course, that might be of help to folks in this thread looking at reels: Tackle Warehouse offers a "demo reel" program. I guess you can pay for shipping (and depending on your order history with the store, a deposit) and demo a reel for a week. Seems like a cool way to try it out on the water before buying.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 12, 2013

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
The federal government has decided blowing up red snappers and their habitats is a good idea. Plus we're looking forward to the shortest snapper season ever this year! http://tinyurl.com/aqk7adl

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just worked out the details on my Lake of the Woods ice fishing trip today. I'm heading up next Thursday and staying through Sunday. Hopefully we'll catch some nice walleye and I wouldn't say no to a monster pike either :). Better throw in a few Tullibee for good measure, and hey, how bout a 50" sturgeon? One can only dream....

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 12, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Was out at Cabelas and bought myself a new rod today!

It was on sale for $60 and I liked how it felt so I grabbed the 6.5' one

Played with some reels too and really, really liked this one a lot. Anyone used it or have any other recommendations?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've only held the new Quantum Smoke reels but IIRC they were pretty smooth, all metal and heavy. Kinda like a more refined Penn battle. Don't like the look at all to be honest. Allow me to recommend a Shimano Stradic FJ. So sweet i bought 2. <$150 on ebay

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Stradics are the poo poo. I just love them.

Went spearfishing last weekend and caught a personal best Hog Snapper. Winter is awesome.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2013

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Went spearfishing last weekend and caught a personal best Hog Snapper. Winter is awesome.

That's pretty dang cool!

I'm leaving in one hour for a weekend ice fishing trip to lake of the woods, I'll try to post some pictures when I get back. Wish me luck!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Awesome picture, I miss spearing fishing a lot, that is by far one of the funnest variations on fishing I have had the privilege to do before. I haven't had a chance to hit the lakes yet this winter to chase the catfish around, between the wind being brutal and a new baby, time seems to not be on my side when it comes to fishing. On the plus side, Spring is almost here which means I can get me a lot of Crappie and Sand Bass for the dinner plate and some nice LMB, Carp and whatever else I can find for the photo books.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am moving to Baltimore soon. Any recommendations on fresh or saltwater? I have mainly fished freshwater, but since I'll be close to the bay, want to do some fishing there and in the Atlantic.

Any fishing goons in the area? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Braved possible-snow forecasts and rain and mud to go hit up the stocked ponds near my work yesterday, a few hours after they got stocked. Got hung up on something on my fourth retrieve, tied another spoon on, and on my next cast I found out that I only had about 15 feet of line left on the spool.

I'm a terrible fisherman.