Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lukano posted:

Ok, i'll admit i perhsps kneejerked to an offer that sounded too good to be true.

So i can buy an rPi, sd card, and sufficient power cable, and ship it to austria where it'll be hosted, in what i assume must be a reliable and trustworthy datacenter, for free, then shipped back to me when i say boo?

This DC would also have no issue if i were to set up FDE, as they aren't actually supporting my device?

Honestly, my sarcasm is beyond my control at this point, as i fail to see what benefit such a venture would net a rather innocuous host in Eastern-Europe.

Free international press during a time of company expansion for basically no cost to them. 100gb/mo, 1 IP, it's a low end plan and costs them maybe 5 watts per unit. That's my best guess as to their motivation.

Again, what is the risk? That this established international host will abscond with your hardware? Come on.

And sure, set up FDE, why would they care? It's unmanaged hosting. Also, Austria is Central Europe ;)

quote:

Edit - if you're advocating this as a slight shady, but still technically free, vpn/shell/proxy/tor-node, just come on out and say it and stop beating around the bush. We're all grownups itt.

Sure, those are all great examples of what this hardware and hosting is capable of doing easily. I don't know why you think it's so shady though.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

DNova posted:

Also, Austria is Central Europe ;)

Yeah, i know (now). :P

Edit -ok fine i'm mollified to an extent. Now i'm comparing this against the cost/risk of the current multi-user, fde, irc/etc shell i run for ~10+ folks.

Edit2 - i was born wearing tinfoil, what can i say ?! :P

Lukano fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 5, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The deal is sold out now, but I believe that many people who signed up will not follow through on sending in their hardware.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Xbian 0.8 was released the other day which includes the new firmware, kernel, modules and userspace.

Turbo mode (or High, as I prefer) is available.

http://xbian.org/downloads/

(incidentally, you can add all this to the previous version manually, but it's all wrapped up in a nice img file)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Jamsta posted:

Xbian 0.8 was released the other day which includes the new firmware, kernel, modules and userspace.

Turbo mode (or High, as I prefer) is available.

http://xbian.org/downloads/

(incidentally, you can add all this to the previous version manually, but it's all wrapped up in a nice img file)

So xbian is back? The raspbmc post calling them out on code theft or whatever is gone, it seems.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

We have an employee colo cab at work and we've joked about setting our pi in there. It's just a novelty, a vps for non mission critical stuff will be less headaches I imagine.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

So xbian is back? The raspbmc post calling them out on code theft or whatever is gone, it seems.

They had an argument over the installer software using a shared library from the other XMBC distro. It hadn't been acknowledged. Teenager infighting ensued until the toys were put back in the pram and the project restarted.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Speaking of XBian, anyone know how to make it so I don't see kernel messages in the background / black borders on 4:3 content? I didn't have this problem with Raspbmc, and while I knew it used to be an issue with XBian, I would have thought it'd be fixed by now.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Lukano posted:

Speaking of XBian, anyone know how to make it so I don't see kernel messages in the background / black borders on 4:3 content? I didn't have this problem with Raspbmc, and while I knew it used to be an issue with XBian, I would have thought it'd be fixed by now.

Not Xbian, but Debian:

http://forum.plop.at/index.php?topic=193.0

Worth a try?

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Jamsta posted:

Not Xbian, but Debian:

http://forum.plop.at/index.php?topic=193.0

Worth a try?

Ok thats just too simple. Slapfights between the xbmc-distros aside, thats so trivial to prevent/fix that I'm now also disgusted with the Xbian guy. Super-trivial things have no business on the backburner, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to win a popularity contest.

seanbr
Aug 18, 2007
:D

Lukano posted:

Ok thats just too simple. Slapfights between the xbmc-distros aside, thats so trivial to prevent/fix that I'm now also disgusted with the Xbian guy. Super-trivial things have no business on the backburner, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to win a popularity contest.

I can't think of the last time I watched 4x3 content. So I honestly would never have noticed.

Anyhow, I put in an order for 2 rpi from Newark/element14 about a week ago. To anyone telling people to purchase from Newark, you're sadly mistaken, as mine are on backorder until November 1st it appears.

I was lured in by the "I got mine in a week" and now I must wait for all time (a month).

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

seanbr posted:

I can't think of the last time I watched 4x3 content. So I honestly would never have noticed.

Anyhow, I put in an order for 2 rpi from Newark/element14 about a week ago. To anyone telling people to purchase from Newark, you're sadly mistaken, as mine are on backorder until November 1st it appears.

I was lured in by the "I got mine in a week" and now I must wait for all time (a month).

Maybe you'll get the made in Britain boards. At any rate I got mine within a week from Newark/element14, and someone followed-up with a pleasant phone message to make sure I was satisfied.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
I ordered one from Newark on launch day and got it a couple of months back, then I ordered a second one a few days ago. They called me up to thank me for my orders and gave me a 15% discount coupon code that's good through the rest of the year. They said to share it with my whomever I like, so goons get to benefit from it. The code is NEW2P.

I'm not super likely to end up using the code, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Also the Pi I ordered a couple of days ago says it won't ship until the end of October, but I'll post back and say if that lead time is accurate when I get a shipping notification. I did specifically request a revision 2.0 board, though, so it's possible that my order will end up on hold for a bit.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

seanbr posted:

You see it if you watch wider-than-16:9 content, too (eg, 2.35:1 movies that are encoded w/out the bars).

Between that and the fact that it doesn't auto-add new removable drives (the system automounts devices, but xbmc doesn't), I jumped right back to openelec. I'm sure I could fix these things in xbian, but why bother?

seanbr
Aug 18, 2007

Prize Loser posted:

I ordered one from Newark on launch day and got it a couple of months back, then I ordered a second one a few days ago. They called me up to thank me for my orders and gave me a 15% discount coupon code that's good through the rest of the year. They said to share it with my whomever I like, so goons get to benefit from it. The code is NEW2P.

I'm not super likely to end up using the code, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

Also the Pi I ordered a couple of days ago says it won't ship until the end of October, but I'll post back and say if that lead time is accurate when I get a shipping notification. I did specifically request a revision 2.0 board, though, so it's possible that my order will end up on hold for a bit.

Hmm, maybe I'll cancel my order and re-order with the coupon code. I mean it's not like it will change my ship date of Nov 1st :\

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Well, yeah, it might... But then, whats a week or four or five for a ~$3.68 savings. (old model *may* still be more accessible than the new. Run both orders in parallel and cancel the laggard, in my opinion.)

If nothing else, Newark has long since demonstrated that their leadup dates are worst case scenarios meant to be broken for the better, or communicated and apologized for if not.

RS/Farnell on the other hand still doesn't seem to give a flying gently caress. Consumers? Psh, RS/Farnell only deals with large scale entities that don't care if their needs are pushed back indefinitely without explanation to lowly consumers.

seanbr
Aug 18, 2007

Lukano posted:

Well, yeah, it might... But then, whats a week or four or five for a ~$3.68 savings. (old model *may* still be more accessible than the new. Run both orders in parallel and cancel the laggard, in my opinion.)

If nothing else, Newark has long since demonstrated that their leadup dates are worst case scenarios meant to be broken for the better, or communicated and apologized for if not.

RS/Farnell on the other hand still doesn't seem to give a flying gently caress. Consumers? Psh, RS/Farnell only deals with large scale entities that don't care if their needs are pushed back indefinitely without explanation to lowly consumers.

Buddy that's $10.50 in savings. I go big and get 2 units. Either way, I haven't canceled anything since their customer service is M-F. I don't really care about the savings, but I mean, if it doesn't change my order (since it appears I'm waiting for the next batch) then why not!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Has anyone set one of these up as a webcam server? I basically want to set up a little web portal so we can watch our dog while at work.

I hooked mine up to a USB camera I have. I've gotten it working with 'motion', but only barely. It seems really flakey on when it'll capture images, and the control web server dies all the time. Occasionally it even hangs the entire system and it has to be rebooted.

I'm not terribly interested in motion detection, I'd be happy with a timed image snapshot. I'm not adverse to setting up Apache and building a web page around this, but I don't know what the best route is.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

syphon posted:

Has anyone set one of these up as a webcam server? I basically want to set up a little web portal so we can watch our dog while at work.

I hooked mine up to a USB camera I have. I've gotten it working with 'motion', but only barely. It seems really flakey on when it'll capture images, and the control web server dies all the time. Occasionally it even hangs the entire system and it has to be rebooted.

I'm not terribly interested in motion detection, I'd be happy with a timed image snapshot. I'm not adverse to setting up Apache and building a web page around this, but I don't know what the best route is.

Honestly, spend $60-150 on a cheap wifi camera. At the upper end of that range you'll get pan/tilt as well.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
i've already got the raspberry pi and a webcam that works ok, I just need to get the software figured out. If I were really interested in the best webcam solution possible, I'd go that route, but I'm more interested in custom building something.

The problem is I'm having spotty results with terminal-based webcam controls. Motion takes great pictures, but keeps crashing and provides a bunch of features I don't want. I tried mplayer, which seems to work, but takes terrible quality pictures and I don't know how to adjust it. I couldn't even get images to work with VLC. The problem is that I just don't know what options are out there.

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 8, 2012

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I'm using the stock debian distro... every time I restart my volume resets to 50% and I need to move it back up with alsamixer. Any idea how to permanently configure that?

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.
Have you been saving the settings by running "alsactl store" after altering the volume in alsamixer?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

syphon posted:

i've already got the raspberry pi and a webcam that works ok, I just need to get the software figured out. If I were really interested in the best webcam solution possible, I'd go that route, but I'm more interested in custom building something.

The problem is I'm having spotty results with terminal-based webcam controls. Motion takes great pictures, but keeps crashing and provides a bunch of features I don't want. I tried mplayer, which seems to work, but takes terrible quality pictures and I don't know how to adjust it. I couldn't even get images to work with VLC. The problem is that I just don't know what options are out there.

I understand completely and I felt kind of bad about making that post as soon as I made it, sorry about that.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

syphon posted:

The problem is that I just don't know what options are out there.
A buddy of mine uses Zoneminder on an ubuntu laptop for this, but I found this guide on using it on a Raspi here.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Probably been asked already, but what are the chances of running a Minecraft server on an RPi?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AgentF posted:

Probably been asked already, but what are the chances of running a Minecraft server on an RPi?

I sincerely doubt it, especially for more than 2 people at once.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
Any word on which xbmc distribution is the best? I heard the recent updates made everything a bit snappier menu wise. I'm really excited about finally being able to use xbmc again. I was a heavy user back when it was just for the xbox, reluctantly switched to a WDTV once I upgraded to a hdtv a few years ago.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

syphon posted:

I want to do this too for my tortoises. You've got a lot further than me though because all I've done is think about it, so I can't really be of any help. Sorry.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

KrautHedge posted:

Any word on which xbmc distribution is the best? I heard the recent updates made everything a bit snappier menu wise. I'm really excited about finally being able to use xbmc again. I was a heavy user back when it was just for the xbox, reluctantly switched to a WDTV once I upgraded to a hdtv a few years ago.
I'm a fan of Xbian - RaspXBMC seemed sluggish, but it's been a while since I tried it.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

KrautHedge posted:

The RaspXBMC and Xbian distros are basically just XBMC thrown over a normal OS install, so neither is really "optimized". Plus the guys behind them both seem pretty juvenile with their little scuffle a while back and both sound like highschoolers quickly throwing something together for e-fame. This goes double for the Xbian guy though. EDIT: Nevermind, it goes double for RaspXBMC too.

From what I've heard, the OpenELEC distro is getting a lot better, so I would go with that. Or go full-Linux and get omxplayer and do everything from the command line :unsmigghh:

Toad King fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 11, 2012

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

chippy posted:

I want to do this too for my tortoises. You've got a lot further than me though because all I've done is think about it, so I can't really be of any help. Sorry.
Someone recommended zoneminder, but I haven't fully gotten it working. For some reason it can't seem to get any images from the camera and I haven't had much time to fiddle with the settings yet. However, it looks like it'll do everything I need!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

If you're in the UK, don't try to order your Pi from RS Components. I placed an order for three in July and the order confirmation at the time said they would arrive by mid-september. They still haven't arrived, and after phoning up all they'd tell me is the current lead time (end of November). They had no idea when the ones for my July order would come in.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Just do what i did and cancel your RS order and get one from Newark. They shipped mine same day and I had it by mid week.

So yeah...

Ordered 3 RaspPis from RS in mid-July, recieved all the accessories but still no sign of a Pi as of today. That's over 12 weeks so far.
Ordered 2 from Farnell on Oct 3rd, just now receieved an email saying they have shipped and should arrive Monday. That's 9 days.

gently caress RS forever.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

xtothez posted:

gently caress RS forever.
I got that same email from RS but they indicated it still may be a few months before I get mine. I signed up on the first day of pre-orders. I can't even remember if they have my $35.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I didn't see it in the OP. Where's the best place to pick one up in America?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Nybble posted:

I didn't see it in the OP. Where's the best place to pick one up in America?
right now, $80 on ebay... everywhere else will put you on a list

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I ordered a Pi a week ago from Newark and supposedly it's supposed to come 1st week of Nov.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dolex posted:

I got that same email from RS but they indicated it still may be a few months before I get mine. I signed up on the first day of pre-orders. I can't even remember if they have my $35.

? I signed up at RS like a week into preorders and got mine months ago.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We got the Pi for our vaporizer project from an Amazon seller in my state (AR) and it was here in two days. Check the smaller outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

syphon posted:

Someone recommended zoneminder, but I haven't fully gotten it working. For some reason it can't seem to get any images from the camera and I haven't had much time to fiddle with the settings yet. However, it looks like it'll do everything I need!
In case anyone is interested, I got Zoneminder working. My take from it is that Raspberry Pi is not very good with cameras.

I bought a Microsoft USB webcam, which advertises 720p video (and a hasty googling showed to work just fine on linux). Apparently, something to do with the Pi's USB port means that it won't do any better than 320x240. Even running a single camera at 1fps with Zoneminder sets the cpu load >1 quite a lot. You can forget about motion detection, recording video, or multiple cameras.

I hear that IP cameras might work better, since it offloads all the video compression onto the device itself. I'm gonna try it with one of them next to see how much it works. If anything, this experience makes me really want to build up a beefy linux box to run zoneminder with 5-6 IP cameras!