Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope that Smash Bros. U will have a lot of content out of the box. I know for a lot of fans trying to remember hearing the Brawl disc load in your Wii for the first time is like trying to remember your toddler years but holy poo poo, barely half the characters and stages are available to you at first.

To make things worse you had to do ridiculously grindy things or play through the whole ten hour campaign to unlock everyone/everything. I still have missing trophies and poo poo.

It's definitely part of the fun, but drat. Keep 5, maybe 10% of the game a secret and have simple ways to unlock the characters. Not a massive barrier between you and half the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope that Smash Bros. U will have a lot of content out of the box. I know for a lot of fans trying to remember hearing the Brawl disc load in your Wii for the first time is like trying to remember your toddler years but holy poo poo, not even half the characters and stages are available to you at first.

To make things worse you had to do ridiculously grindy things or play through the whole ten hour campaign to unlock everyone/everything. I still have missing trophies and poo poo.

It's definitely part of the fun, but drat. Keep 5, maybe 10% of the game a secret and have simple ways to unlock the characters. Not a massive barrier between you and half the game.

I wouldn't have minded unlocking the characters if Subspace Emissary was actually fun. It just felt like some shovelware Kirby game, which is ironic given the creator.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They should have all characters and stages available at the start like every other normal fighting game, then load it up with tons of trophies, unlockables, art gallery stuff, costumes, and so on. Unlocking characters is the worst.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

They should have all characters and stages available at the start like every other normal fighting game, then load it up with tons of trophies, unlockables, art gallery stuff, costumes, and so on. Unlocking characters is the worst.

I'd love to see them turn Smash into the greatest "Game Collection" by having it where you have to play a level of that character's game to unlock it. So you gotta play an Arwing level to unlock Fox and Falco, play a Dreamland level to unlock Kirby and DeDeDe, play a Mario World stage to unlock Bowser and Yoshi, etc.

I'm sure with a pretty decent engine that could be done. Plus they could create looping versions of the levels in case you're ever bored and just want to play a Star Fox stage forever for points (which would unlock a trophy or whatever).

Maybe that's too much.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'm not against unlockable characters. Just have it be more like MK where there's maybe 2~4 out of 30 characters you need to unlock, and you can unlock them in like the first hour or two of playing the game. I'd really miss "A challenger approaches" if they just gave you everything at the start.

quote:

I wouldn't have minded unlocking the characters if Subspace Emissary was actually fun. It just felt like some shovelware Kirby game, which is ironic given the creator.

It's a blast in co-op on the higher difficulties...for the first three or four levels. Then it gets really annoying really fast and you set it to easy so you can just unlock Wolf and Sonic already. Some of the enemies were complete bullshit.

I liked the Melee (Lord help me) design of like, dicking around with weak enemies from various game series (goombas, re-dead, etc.) and light platforming between various fights and boss battles. It was over quickly and ended with a secret awesome boss fight if you cleared it in good time with no continues. I don't know what they were thinking with Subspace. The only references to Nintendo games come from a couple of the bosses, everything else is weird kirby knock-off stuff.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 11, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Policenaut posted:

Unlocking characters in Brawl wasn't so great, but that was largely because the lack of discovery. Like, every character was spoiled before the game came out so it wasn't like in the previous games where you were like, "Who is Ness?*" or "Holy poo poo Ganondorf!"

*you know, if you were one of those poor unlucky sods who missed out on Earthbound. Ahehem. It would suck to be one of them. Not that I know this from experience.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Like, every character was spoiled before the game came out so it wasn't like in the previous games where you were like, "Who is Lucas?*"

gently caress you Nintendo. "Hey Americans, I know you didn't get Mother 3, but the main character is in Smash Bros! Just as good right?"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
In regards to other franchises on Wii U, here are a few things I'd like to see

3D Super Mario: A new, less plastic art style; new gameplay devices; maybe a new villain

F-Zero: Super fast but not overcomplicated tracks; modify your machine and give it a paint job on the GamePad; online tournaments

Star Fox: Make the characters look like the real puppets from the original box art; augmented reality for all range mode?

Metroid: Creepy atmosphere; gadgets always avaiable on touch screen; aesthic of "photorealistism"

Donkey Kong: 3D adventure; the poignant music of DKC; Dixie; minimal collection

Zelda: Items usable directly from touch screen, others mapped to buttons; sci-fi elements; gigantic bosses

Pokemon: Another Stadium, liked what I played of the first

Kirby: Some psychadelic thing with twisted effects; transformations into vehicles

Yoshi: Maybe a 2D platformer with puzzle elements

What do you think?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Uhhhhhhh okay.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What do you think?

I like everything except wanting to go the DK64 direction with the Donkey Kong series (just have Retro do another platform version) and sci-fi elements in Zelda (why!?).

I also want to see them try a different paper style with Paper Mario. Like maybe something more Okami style with water colours?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uhhhhhhh okay.

Just throwing everything out there in an attempt to stimulate some discussion on franchises that aren't Smash Bros. We might need a Smash Bros. thread just to stop it from resurfacing.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I like everything except wanting to go the DK64 direction with the Donkey Kong series (just have Retro do another platform version) and sci-fi elements in Zelda (why!?).

Not the setting, just some influences like old fashioned robots and vehicles and poo poo.

quote:

I also want to see them try a different paper style with Paper Mario. Like maybe something more Okami style with water colours?

If they wanted could just abandon paper and go for some other interesting visual motif. Wooden Block Mario. He reassembles himself into different objects as needed!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chaltab posted:

Unlocking characters in Brawl wasn't so great, but that was largely because the lack of discovery. Like, every character was spoiled before the game came out so it wasn't like in the previous games where you were like, "Who is Ness?*" or "Holy poo poo Ganondorf!"

I heard that they weren't actually planning to reveal every character but they'd screwed up the scheduling for the website so they ended up revealing characters like Snake and Sonic just to maintain hype.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Snake was in the very first trailer, but the Sonic announcement was thrown in to soften the blow of the game being delayed.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Japantime was awesome, if you're on European time it would update at 9am; it was like an advent calendar for nerds. :3: Bring it back.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Just throwing everything out there in an attempt to stimulate some discussion on franchises that aren't Smash Bros. We might need a Smash Bros. thread just to stop it from resurfacing.

Wouldn't be much of a point in one at this moment. There are no details out on the next Smash Bros other than Namco working on it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Casting my vote for this one as well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Condensed from that Iwata Asks: What's inside the Wii U?

"The Wii U motherboard - elegant, spartan, minimalistic - and the MCM module, containing the miniscule CPU and the rather more meaty graphics core. Our impression is of a ruthlessly efficient design, with benefits for both Nintendo and consumers."

I'm okay with this one.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 11, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If they announced "Star Fox 64 II", I'd buy a Wii U. Pretty insane that they never made one for the Wii... flying with the nunchuck and shooting with the wiimote would have been perfect.

I'm always vaguely interested in Smash Bros releases, but not sure where they'll go with the character roster. There aren't many more nintendo characters that will get people excited. Ridley and Waluigi would be great. If they could get rights to use Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, that would rule.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm always vaguely interested in Smash Bros releases, but not sure where they'll go with the character roster. There aren't many more nintendo characters that will get people excited. Ridley and Waluigi would be great.

They NEED to fill up the Metroid roster more. Dark Samus and Ridley are two obvious inclusions, and they also need to update Samus' moveset and appearance. Three games in and she's still in her Super Metroid Varia Suit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TaurusOxford posted:

They NEED to fill up the Metroid roster more. Dark Samus and Ridley are two obvious inclusions, and they also need to update Samus' moveset and appearance. Three games in and she's still in her Super Metroid Varia Suit.

So what, we should put her in the Other M Gravity Suit now? It would be cool to see the PED and Light suits as alternatives, I guess.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

"Dark" versions of characters are almost always really lazy cop outs for character slots, just make them alternate costumes or something.

Nintendo has quite a few new friends they can play around with for a new Smash game though.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 11, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Artix74 posted:

So what, we should put her in the Other M Gravity Suit now? It would be cool to see the PED and Light suits as alternatives, I guess.

I'd prefer her Echoes/Corruption Varia Suit actually. I'm not holding my breath for Nintendo to give us proper alternate costumes for each character.

quote:

"Dark" versions of characters are almost always really lazy cop outs for character slots, just make them alternate costumes or something.

Nobody complains when Akuma keeps getting into Street Fighter/Marvel games despite Ryu already being there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Nobody complains when Akuma keeps getting into Street Fighter/Marvel games despite Ryu already being there.

Yeah I don't mind clones, and Brawl did a lot to divide clones. Different animations and particles, some moves are entirely changed. Ganondorf is almost nothing like Cpt. Falcon, wolf almost nothing like Fox, etc.

Clones are interesting to me. "Hey what would this character be like if he were more air and speed focused?" or "What would this char. be like if they were heavy and hard hitting?" etc., then they went the extra distance in Brawl and gave them distinct animations with a lot of personality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Except Akuma and Ryu are actually different dudes with more differing movesets? Ryu and Ken would be a more apt comparison.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

Except Akuma and Ryu are actually different dudes? Ryu and Ken would be a more apt comparison.

Samus and Dark Samus aren't? It's not Dark Samus' fault you can't be bothered to remember enough about Echoes/Corruption to give Dark Samus a different moveset/playstyle to Samus.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Samus and Dark Samus aren't? It's not Dark Samus' fault you can't be bothered to remember enough about Echoes/Corruption to give Dark Samus a different moveset/playstyle to Samus.

Well poo poo, alright. I haven't played any Prime game beside 1 in years so I'll go with you on that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
For Metroid I'd love to see Anthony Higgs or Armstrong Houston.

Hades from Kid Icarus would be fantastic.

Riki from Xenoblade. Also, instead of the classic beam sword, you get the Monado.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

Riki from Xenoblade. Also, instead of the classic beam sword, you get the Monado.

I'd prefer Reyn because his cockiness after a fight is always awesome.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'd like the Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I like the slow devastating hitters.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Hades' body as a stage.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Personally, I think maybe a Monster Hunter representative might be fun. Like a Felyne!

Speaking of Monster Hunter, enjoy this new Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U/3DS trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkQGEpRgL0

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Personally, I think maybe a Monster Hunter representative might be fun. Like a Felyne!

Speaking of Monster Hunter, enjoy this new Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U/3DS trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkQGEpRgL0

Ah gently caress I watched this on the bus and now I have to awkwardly hide my erection.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Chaltab posted:

For Metroid I'd love to see Anthony Higgs or Armstrong Houston.

Not having Riki in SSB4 would be an unforgivable mistake.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

TEKKEN BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!!!

The hypest of all Tekken mini-games: Tekken Ball, returns as an exclusive to the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I only have 2 wishes for the next Smash Bros.

1. A sequel to Subspace Emissary
2. loving Travis Touchdown

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Policenaut posted:

Except Akuma and Ryu are actually different dudes with more differing movesets? Ryu and Ken would be a more apt comparison.

Hell, even Ryu and Ken haven't been all that similar since Super Street Fighter II, and have gotten even more different with every successive game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rhythm Heaven and Punch Out stages.
Litle Mac and Batman playable.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What about a Mii character. Give it a distinct skillset and pick your Mii.

It could throw wiimotes, use nunchucks as nunchucks! Something like that?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Bombadilillo posted:

What about a Mii character. Give it a distinct skillset and pick your Mii.

It could throw wiimotes, use nunchucks as nunchucks! Something like that?

I was actually surprised when they didn't include Miis in Brawl. Maybe its attacks could be based on Wii Fit/Sports (Resort) activities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rake Arms posted:

I was actually surprised when they didn't include Miis in Brawl. Maybe its attacks could be based on Wii Fit/Sports (Resort) activities?

There you go, thats a good idea for it using ranged weapons. A bowling ball attack perhaps. It might get wonky with reach and height differences though.

• Locked thread