Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well, I posted in this thread a month or so back asking about Vietnam - now I'm leaving for a trip just over 2 weeks tomorrow! Any thoughts on must sees / lesser known spots in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City? General advice or things to check out? I haven't booked anything past my first few nights in a hotel in Hanoi; planning to explore the city, take a trip to Halong Bay, then maybe to somewhere near the coast for a few days, then a few days in Ho Chi Minh City, but I haven't planned specifically yet. Very excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chocolate Milk posted:

Thanks guys, that's all very helpful. :) There's probably nothing to worry about, but being totally unable to get coverage for what seemed to me to be a reasonably risk-free pre-existing condition had left me a little panicked, so thank you for the practical advice. :shobon:

It does seem like costs are reasonable, so I should be okay for the medical care required post-anaphylaxis. I'll try to avoid riding motorbikes and anything else not covered under insurance, though.

My dad's theory (he's a doctor) is that the anaphylaxis was caused by a food allergy induced by exercise. If he's right, an allergic reaction will only be triggered by eating a specific food followed by strenuous exercise. No idea what the food might be - I got tested for wheat and it's not that, so maybe nuts. Obviously I'll avoid exercising after eating, so if he's right, I should be fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKhKpWx1Uc

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Does anyone know how strict Indonesia is about having a return ticket? I fly to Jakarta from Kota Bahru (Malaysia), but I don't know how long I'll want to stay in Indonesia so I find it hard to book a return ticket. I have a ticket from Kuala Lumpur back to Amsterdam though, is that enough?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Probably. I didn't even have to show one when I went through immigration a few years ago, although I'd taken the time to print everything up.

Honestly, a lot of it will probably depend on whether you look like a tourist, or if you look like someone who will be trying to stay in the country for economic opportunities.

Acid Jerk
Nov 7, 2009
I might be hitting up Chang Mai in Dec, and i was thinking of hitting up Eddy Elephant Care, because you can actually ride elephants through the jungle (according to the wiki) Anyone know if this is something I need to book way ahead of time? or is there a better elephant camp there that i am missing

Looks like there is another one called Patara Elephant Farm?

Acid Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 8, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's a shitload of those ride an elephant in the jungle things. It's a Chiang Mai "thing." Every guesthouse will be able to set that up for you when you get there, often they're packaged with a hilltribe visit and some river rafting on as handmade bamboo raft thing.

People usually don't like the elephant part because elephants are uncomfortable and the stopoffs / elephant activities are a little hokey. My advice is to go ahead and do it, but only once, and sit on the beasts head if you can instead of its back. It doesn't care and the head is way more comfortable. Also it's always fun to sit on a head.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I got a question for the Thai goons in this thread. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting her colonoscopy done in Thailand since she will probably be charged $5k for the procedure in the states. I don't really know anything about Medical vacations, but can she fly over to Bangkok and get the procedure done safely in less than a month and have it be cheaper than 5k? Any recommendations for a hospital too would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Rojkir posted:

Does anyone know how strict Indonesia is about having a return ticket? I fly to Jakarta from Kota Bahru (Malaysia), but I don't know how long I'll want to stay in Indonesia so I find it hard to book a return ticket. I have a ticket from Kuala Lumpur back to Amsterdam though, is that enough?

Well I am here now, I arrived in Bali on Jetstar and I had booked a ticket to Kuala Lumpur with Air Asia so as far as Jetstar and immigration were concerned it was one way flight to Bali. No one asked me to show proof of onward travel and the arrival card doesn't ask for what flight your leaving on so you should be fine.

Indonesia is pretty awesome and I am thinking about extending my stay. Right now I am in Pangandaran and it's pretty chill here. It's mid week so there aren't many tourists and I think the main tourists that come here are locals anyway.

Also the food here is delicious and cheap. I got Nasi Campur and some fresh juice for $1.50 and I had the tastiest Mie Goreng in Lembang from some random road side stall.

The funniest thing I have seen is a Wendy's - how can you have a Wendy's and no bacon, why would they even want to set up shop here. I guess you don't miss out because you get some fake bacon made of beef or something.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

GZA Genius posted:

I got a question for the Thai goons in this thread. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting her colonoscopy done in Thailand since she will probably be charged $5k for the procedure in the states. I don't really know anything about Medical vacations, but can she fly over to Bangkok and get the procedure done safely in less than a month and have it be cheaper than 5k? Any recommendations for a hospital too would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The answer to everything is yes. Inquire first with Samitivej Hospital and then Bumrungrad and then BNH Hospital. The general rule is that procedures are 50-90% cheaper on average, with about 70 as a baseline, so if it's $5,000 in the states, it's probably around $1,500 here. Airfare's going to run you between $1,500 and $2,000 probably, so basically you'll get a vacation for free an still save money.

Costa Rica's supposed to be a good option as well. I mention it as it's closer.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 9, 2012

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

imnotinsane posted:

The funniest thing I have seen is a Wendy's - how can you have a Wendy's and no bacon, why would they even want to set up shop here. I guess you don't miss out because you get some fake bacon made of beef or something.

A friend of mine just got back from the region and said he just had this big realization during his stay there that even in south east asia everything is looking more and more like home. You can find the same shops and restaurants, looking the same, selling the same in the same goddamn shopping malls all over the world. It's a pity :'(

Thanks for the reassurance on the return ticket.

Ziggy Piggy
Sep 25, 2006

Rojkir posted:

Landing in Jakarta with a one way the immigration officer on the left side queue told me to go to the airline desk and get a ticket out before he would let me in, the officer on the right hand side just stamped me right through… I think Bali would be less likely to care tho considering the volume of tourists.

Also just my opinion but Indonesia was my least favourite country in SE Asia with the worst food (by far) and the most hassle, especially with transport. Of course it’s a huge place with lots of good stuff too but…. does anyone have similar thoughts?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Travel is pretty subjective though - look at all the hate that was in the thread about Vietnam. I guess it all comes down to what you want. Some parts of Indonesia don't seem as geared towards tourists like places like Thailand which can take away from your experience but that can also be a plus too.

Personally I feel this thread needs more posts about Indonesia, it's cheap as chips, full of great beaches, attraction and has hardly any tourists (excluding Bali) like other countries in the region. When I was in Bandung I saw a total of 5 foreigners and that was only when I went to the most touristy mall in the whole city. Here in Pangadaran I have an entire beach to my self and at my hotel there is only one other couple staying here.

I think I might swing back here again soon. I haven't had the chance to check out Sumatra or Borneo.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Does anyone know of someone or has anyone done the Indonesian language scholarship programs themselves? I remember hearing about the government being generous with scholarships and not too strict about working outside your visa there. Apparently it's one of the easier languages to learn as a Native English speaker. Kick around Indonesia for a bit picking up a language to add to the Foreign Service resume. The Indonesians I have met in Korea seem way friendly than the Koreans so maybe I'll actually stick with learning it.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

imnotinsane posted:

Travel is pretty subjective though - look at all the hate that was in the thread about Vietnam. I guess it all comes down to what you want. Some parts of Indonesia don't seem as geared towards tourists like places like Thailand which can take away from your experience but that can also be a plus too.

Personally I feel this thread needs more posts about Indonesia, it's cheap as chips, full of great beaches, attraction and has hardly any tourists (excluding Bali) like other countries in the region. When I was in Bandung I saw a total of 5 foreigners and that was only when I went to the most touristy mall in the whole city. Here in Pangadaran I have an entire beach to my self and at my hotel there is only one other couple staying here.

I think I might swing back here again soon. I haven't had the chance to check out Sumatra or Borneo.

Sumatra is a different beast from Java. Travel is a lot more time-consuming. I don't say that to warn you off of it, I saw some pretty neat places, but plan ahead accordingly. Block off whole days for travel if possible; you're going to need them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

Sumatra is a different beast from Java. Travel is a lot more time-consuming. I don't say that to warn you off of it, I saw some pretty neat places, but plan ahead accordingly. Block off whole days for travel if possible; you're going to need them.
Pompous Rhombus is the man to ask on that stuff.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm one of the Vietnam apologists but I've been here for a while now so I can understand the critics people have.

About Indonesia, I've only been to Jogjakarta once (and I'll be going back once I can hire two competent guys, I've been looking for months!) but I really liked it. As someone said before, the food is bad compared to other parts of SE Asia but I did find a few nice places. I felt that touts were more aggressive there than in Saigon. Also, Saigon by night you will see cockroaches in the sidewalk, you get used to it. In Jogja, I was seeing big rear end rats fleeing in front of me all the time. I didn't mind it, it was just different.

The language is also awesome, especially coming from Vietnam. I've been taking Viet classes for almost a year now and I still feel like I suck. But Bahasa/Indonesian is very interesting and much easier (no loving accents or tones!)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Senso posted:

Also, Saigon by night you will see cockroaches in the sidewalk, you get used to it. In Jogja, I was seeing big rear end rats fleeing in front of me all the time. I didn't mind it, it was just different.
In Baltimore, you see both of these things all the time!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Rats are cute :3:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Rats are cute :3:
Visit Soi Ari in Bangkok after 22:00. It's like a loving village of them.

Also, no mention of Vietnam should pass without eviljelly or I cursing Vietnam. CURSE VIETNAM.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Importance of language learning news now. I just hosed myself in a small-change Khmer transaction by insisting on "boon" dollars. I forgot that bai comes before boon. When the guy insisted and I hand-counted in front of him and sighed he was laughing his rear end off at me. Stupid barang indeed! No bargaining before 10:00 (AM).

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had to finally check out this thread because I just paid my first deposit for geography field school in Thailand, Bali, and Malaysian Borneo in May. I look pretty much like the girl in that photo right now!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Picnic Princess posted:

I had to finally check out this thread because I just paid my first deposit for geography field school in Thailand, Bali, and Malaysian Borneo in May. I look pretty much like the girl in that photo right now!
geography field school doesn't sound like a real thing.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Weird question, anyone know what channel ( if any) shows UFC fights in Bangkok ? Or if any bars near khaosan road show them? There's a fight this weekend I'd like to catch .

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Gulliver's always had some sport on when I was there. If you are in khaosan now you could ask them. It's been a while since I have been in Bangkok so I don't really remember anywhere else.

Edit. Googling UFC in thailand shows that this bar has shown live events in the past so maybe they will be showing this one?

HOME RUN BAR & GRILL BANGKOK, SUKHUMVIT SOI 31

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 11, 2012

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thai officials getting a post-mortem wrong why I never...

quote:

CBC
Dr. René Blais of Quebec's poison control centre said the DEET concentration reported by the Thai pathologist doesn't correspond to a concentration that would be toxic, "let alone a concentration that would be fatal."

It's still unclear what caused their deaths if it wasn't DEET poisoning.

Secondary autopsies were conducted in Montreal, but the results haven't been released.

Thai investigators haven't closed the case. They submitted their investigation report to the Canadian Embassy in Thailand without making the findings public.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The show Cold Case in Thailand would consist of a bunch of dudes in brown named Somchai scurrying about in a police station, trying to avoid inquiring parties when a cold case comes up. I can't imagine how many open investigations there are in this country that are purposely left that way because who wants to know the truth about the local police official who killed some tourists or the local Mayor's kid who raped someone or the muckety muck who owns the stolen Saudi jewels or what have you :iiam:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Questions for Thai Goons or any other SEA based Goons who want to give me their input. So yeah December going to Bangkok. What's the best place to go for New Year's Eve? Central World?

Also I want to make a side trip but am unsure what city to pick. Chiang Rai or Krabi? On one hand, Chiang Rai looks like it could be interesting because of the Golden Triangle but I kind of just want to relax on a beach. I'm traveling with other people too and it's about a 40/40 split because some could care less about which one we pick.

Can anyone tell me some must see things to do in each city so we can compare them and make our decision?

Oh yeah, another question. What carrier should I go with for a prepaid SIM for my iPhone? Is it possible to get unlimited data on a prepaid plan?

birds fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 11, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No on prepaid unlimited. True has the best 3G speeds by far, but you'll only get 3G in and around major cities. They list Krabi on their coverage map, but I never get it in Ao Nang, so it must be Krabi Town. In the sticks, CAT has a 3G data SIM that rocks (Chiang Rai included), but good luck figuring out how to get one.

If you care primarily about phone and slow data coverage in incredibly rural areas, get an AIS SIM.

EDIT: Here you go - scroll to the bottom. Even with the Thai language graphic you can probably make that out:

http://truemove.com/en/prepay-hispeed-net-sim-volumn-base.htm

Wireless infrastructure here is pretty poor and not exactly a great deal. Cambodia's much better, amazingly enough. So, for 699 Baht you'd get 3.5GB and unlimited Wifi (True has a lot of Wifi hotspots, even in public, but they're not that good).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 12, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Oracle posted:

Thai officials getting a post-mortem wrong why I never...

Woah, I'm from Montreal and didn't know these girls where from there too. Creepy!

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

imnotinsane posted:

Gulliver's always had some sport on when I was there. If you are in khaosan now you could ask them. It's been a while since I have been in Bangkok so I don't really remember anywhere else.

Edit. Googling UFC in thailand shows that this bar has shown live events in the past so maybe they will be showing this one?

HOME RUN BAR & GRILL BANGKOK, SUKHUMVIT SOI 31

thanks for the info, i'll check them out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

DontAskKant posted:

geography field school doesn't sound like a real thing.

Crazily, it is. Ill be studying the long term effects of tsunamis, evolution of religions, how tourism impacts coastal ecosystems, and the effects of human encroachment on jungle habitats.

Geography is, funnily enough, more than just colouring different countries in on maps.

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

ReindeerF posted:

The show Cold Case in Thailand would consist of a bunch of dudes in brown named Somchai scurrying about in a police station, trying to avoid inquiring parties when a cold case comes up. I can't imagine how many open investigations there are in this country that are purposely left that way because who wants to know the truth about the local police official who killed some tourists or the local Mayor's kid who raped someone or the muckety muck who owns the stolen Saudi jewels or what have you :iiam:

I'd watch the poo poo outta that show!
It has gotta be better than that Thai show with the three John Edwards types who sit in a circle confirming to mothers that their children are possessed by poltergeists...

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Macintosh posted:

Questions for Thai Goons or any other SEA based Goons who want to give me their input. So yeah December going to Bangkok. What's the best place to go for New Year's Eve? Central World?

Also I want to make a side trip but am unsure what city to pick. Chiang Rai or Krabi? On one hand, Chiang Rai looks like it could be interesting because of the Golden Triangle but I kind of just want to relax on a beach. I'm traveling with other people too and it's about a 40/40 split because some could care less about which one we pick.

Can anyone tell me some must see things to do in each city so we can compare them and make our decision?

Oh yeah, another question. What carrier should I go with for a prepaid SIM for my iPhone? Is it possible to get unlimited data on a prepaid plan?

Don't do those Golden Triangle trips, its all bullshit. They bus you to a stupid statue, which they put there to get more tourists.

Go to Mae Salong instead, its a cool little place with history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santikhiri

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 12, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Macintosh posted:

If you head to Chiang Rai, check out this place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Rong_Khun

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.
Hey SE Asia goons,
I'm planning another trip to the region here in late January - late February, approximately 1 month total. I've decided that I would like to shake things up a little and try something different from my normal excursions. Rather than jump around to a bunch of different locations and countries as I normally would, I would like to stay in 2 to 3 cities during my vacation and take some time to really experience the places I'm going.

I've been doing some research and some of the places I'm looking at now include Bali and Cebu city. I'm a little discouraged on Bali because it will be the rainy season when I will be available. I'm really just looking for someplace to relax, enjoy some new cuisine and take in a few sights, historical or natural. If there are any recommendations for places that I should look into, I would really appreciate any input.

My only two requirements are that I need to have an active internet connection so nothing too remote and I need to be able to get a visa on arrival with a US passport as I won't be able to get any in advance. I have a budget of about $5000 for the entire trip if that makes any difference.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you're spending that much time in single cities tourist oriented ones aren't usually the most fruitful. Capitols or slightly out of the way hub cities usually offer more variety and more local flavor.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think I could survive Bali for that long, it's a nice island with some really nice beaches and things to do but its all catered towards tourists so the touts can get a little persistent. If you stay in Bali don't book your accommodation in Kuta unless you want to get drunk every day.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Speaking of Indonesia, does anybody here have any experience with climbing volcanoes in Java? I'm planning a tropical volcano based holiday (I love volcanoes okay) and this tour came up. It sounds amazing, but it will strip me of a third of my 3 month travel budget so it's something I need to consider carefully! They visit four volcanoes (Mount Semeru, Mount Bromo, Mount Ruang, and Mount Argopuro) in 16 days and though it's essentially a walking tour the days are long and the nights are rough, so it looks to be pretty demanding. I'm assuming that with all the driving and camping involved it would not be an easy trip to make alone (except Bromo), and for somebody without a car or driver's license, might not be possible at all (as well as dangerous for a woman travelling alone), but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Does this sound like a worthwhile trip to you guys? Has anyone even heard of KE Adventure before? Are there other volcanoes in the area (or somewhere completely different) that I could visit for a whole lot less money and trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

A friend of mine bagged a couple of vulcanoes just winging it without a real plan. From his story I gathered that most have a very basic hostel at the bottom. You can probably find more info here: http://www.gunungbagging.com/

Now this guy is male and 6'11 and safety didn't come up at all in his tales, so I don't know much about that.