Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Golbez posted:

Not sure which command(s) to do for this, which seems simple, but being a relative git neophyte I'm not sure:

We have a branch. I've since made two commits to it, mainly to store coding ideas, but they didn't pan out, so I want to revert it to where it was two commits ago. I don't want to nuke the more recent commits; I just want to do...

Commit A: Good stuff
Commit B: Bad stuff
Commit C: Worse stuff
Commit D: I want this to have the same state as commit A

How do I do this? I decided to throw hard and hit "git reset --hard" and that appears to have nuked commits B and C from history - there is no commit D, there is simply A. No real harm done, but I had wanted to keep them around as warnings to others. What would have been the proper way of doing this? Checking out A and committing it?

The specific command you're thinking of is git revert, which creates a new commit reverting the changes made by one or more prior commits. The main advantage of this is that it does not involve rewriting history and thus has an entry in the commit log and will work even if you've already pushed the branch or had it pulled by others.

That said, if you're only interested in commit A and not the branch itself, you can (as PiotrLegnica said) merge only A back in or create a new branch from it, and ignore B and C, possibly deleting this branch entirely once A is dealt with.

If you are specifically attached to this branch, revert or reset are pretty much your only options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
I think my local git repository just blew up. Any time I try to change branches it says "fatal: bad revision 'refs/heads/temp'". Any ideas on recovery?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
  1. What does .git/refs/heads/temp contain?
  2. What does .git/HEAD contain?
  3. What is the output of git fsck?

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Lysidas posted:

1. What does .git/refs/heads/temp contain?
  2. What does .git/HEAD contain?
  3. What is the output of git fsck?

1. There is no refs/heads/temp! There's a refs/heads/TEMP (not what the error says!) and that folder is empty.
2. git/HEAD is a file. It has a hash in it. This is the hash that is showing up in my prompt (that usually shows what branch I have checkedout).
3. git fsck gives that same error, then a long long list of dangling blobs, trees, and commits.

EDIT: All of this was using cygwin git. When I switched to msysgit I was able to change branches and clean things up. But it's still giving the error about refs/heads/temp, which has me pretty nervous.

Dromio fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 21, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dromio posted:

1. There is no refs/heads/temp! There's a refs/heads/TEMP (not what the error says!) and that folder is empty.

File systems in Windows** are not case-sensitive so they're the same thing.

** I mean, the traditional Windows file systems, I guess you could mount actual case-sensitive file systems in Windows though

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

No Safe Word posted:

File systems in Windows** are not case-sensitive so they're the same thing.

Maybe, but most things in Cygwin do care about the case. I think git under Cygwin does.

Anyway, the folder is empty. No idea what if anything should be in there.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Dromio posted:

Maybe, but most things in Cygwin do care about the case. I think git under Cygwin does.

Anyway, the folder is empty. No idea what if anything should be in there.

You shouldn't have a folder there, folders only exist in .git/refs when it's the beginning of another ref, such as refs/heads/TEMP/foo. Remove the folder, to see if that fixes it.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

Edison was a dick posted:

You shouldn't have a folder there, folders only exist in .git/refs when it's the beginning of another ref, such as refs/heads/TEMP/foo. Remove the folder, to see if that fixes it.

I seem to have quite a few empty folders in there. Deleting that one did get rid of the error. git fsck still complains about a lot of other dangling items.

I've made a new clone of the remote repository and copied over my local branches from the bad one. I don't trust it anymore.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there something fundamanetally wrong with doing source control in the following way:

-Git Init on the directory that countains my source
-Stage and commit my source to this "Source Repo"
-Create a folder on my Skydrive
-Add the Skydrive folder as a remote to my Source Repo
-Push from my Source Repo to the Skydrive Repo

In this way I end up with a "bare" git repo on Skydrive. Is there potentially some way to get a repo on Skydrive that actually has a working directory structure? I'd like to be able to take a look at my files in a pinch without having to clone the repo somewhere...

Also, how would this approach work if I were to decide to start doing development on two machines?

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is there something fundamanetally wrong with doing source control in the following way:

No, it's how you do this. If you don't want bare repo, git init the remote before pushing. Just note that pushing to repos with checked out working copy might crap out sometimes. It's generally better to keep the remote bare.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Also, how would this approach work if I were to decide to start doing development on two machines?

Push on one machine, pull on the other, repeat until you get bored of the project. Just regular DVCS usage.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I'm working on some CI stuff for a client using TFS. They necessarily have very large solutions with lots of dependencies, so we made the decision to do binary references instead of having solutions with hundreds of project references, with CI builds set up to automatically update the binaries on build, and then rebuild any projects using those binaries.

I just finished mapping out what-triggers-what, and there's one massive solution that's used by basically every other project. It triggers 65 additional builds. One particular build ends up being run 18 times. :froggonk:

Running all 66 builds would probably take 3-4 hours, thus entirely defeating the purpose of CI.

I don't have any questions, I just wanted to vent.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
We may be setting up integrated issue tracking & version control from scratch at work in the near future. Is there anywhere I should look that has a comparison of externally hosted systems for this (github, bitbucket, etc), and general reading I should do on this topic? For background I've used a mix of svn and git for personal stuff for years now, and a coworker has worked with cvs and perforce before at previous jobs, but neither of us has done much with bugtrackers and we have zero process in place at this time.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ithaqua posted:

I'm working on some CI stuff for a client using TFS. They necessarily have very large solutions with lots of dependencies, so we made the decision to do binary references instead of having solutions with hundreds of project references, with CI builds set up to automatically update the binaries on build, and then rebuild any projects using those binaries.

I just finished mapping out what-triggers-what, and there's one massive solution that's used by basically every other project. It triggers 65 additional builds. One particular build ends up being run 18 times. :froggonk:

Running all 66 builds would probably take 3-4 hours, thus entirely defeating the purpose of CI.

I don't have any questions, I just wanted to vent.

Jenkins also has this problem. A coworker solved this by writing a program to trigger builds such that it wouldn't redundantly trigger the same job multiple times.
Unfortunately this requires him to manually say he wants to run tests, so it doesn't
scale well to many developers.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Not doing much on that scale, but typically we include binaries for our libraries with the projects living independently with their own CI stack. The libraries in question are very stable though, perhaps one change a year. If you are on TeamCity you can have it make a nuget feed for you making this very painless.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

We may be setting up integrated issue tracking & version control from scratch at work in the near future. Is there anywhere I should look that has a comparison of externally hosted systems for this (github, bitbucket, etc), and general reading I should do on this topic? For background I've used a mix of svn and git for personal stuff for years now, and a coworker has worked with cvs and perforce before at previous jobs, but neither of us has done much with bugtrackers and we have zero process in place at this time.

I've done this pretty successfully with redmine. SVN integration is easy -- just point it at the server. DCVS is a little more involved as you need a local clone and you need a cron job to update it. But it worked out in our case -- we wanted a local copy of the repos anyhow.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Definitely don't use a cron job for syncing unless you have no other choice (and if you have no other choice you probably chose poorly when decided on a repo host). Post-receieve/changegroup hooks on the upstream work much better.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We have a bunch of scripts that have higher permissions than git, so we use an every-minute cron job to git pull, and then update the permissions. Probably not the best way of doing it.

A question of my own:

We have a website. In this website are various modules. Someone has expressed interest in buying one of those modules as a service. And of course, they might want features we don't want, but we may want to give bugfixes to both, etc. We're relatively new to git so we've been trying to figure out how to handle this.

Do we give that module its own git repository, and them their own repository, and our site keeps its own repository, and we simply merge between repos? Can you do that?

Or, do we give it its own repository and somehow have branches off master? So it would look like:
pre:
 * Their version
  \
   \   * Our version
    \ /
     * HEAD/master
and be able to merge patches to both branches? Or do we maintain these solely as branches of our main repo, which would seem to me to eventually cause a very large number of branches as we resell more parts of our site?

I guess the main question is, how does this get done in more experienced houses? Thanks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Golbez posted:

We have a website. In this website are various modules. Someone has expressed interest in buying one of those modules as a service. And of course, they might want features we don't want, but we may want to give bugfixes to both, etc. We're relatively new to git so we've been trying to figure out how to handle this.

Do we give that module its own git repository, and them their own repository, and our site keeps its own repository, and we simply merge between repos? Can you do that?

Or, do we give it its own repository and somehow have branches off master? So it would look like:
pre:
 * Their version
  \
   \   * Our version
    \ /
     * HEAD/master
and be able to merge patches to both branches? Or do we maintain these solely as branches of our main repo, which would seem to me to eventually cause a very large number of branches as we resell more parts of our site?

I guess the main question is, how does this get done in more experienced houses? Thanks.

The first thing i would try to do is extract the shared code into whatever packaging/dependency format the language you're writing in uses, give it its own repo and versioning, and have the other sites consume it.

If you can't do that, there's git submodules, which you can read up on, but they seem a distant second.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
/home got nuked yesterday as part of a reinstall of Linux. Did we have backups? lol of course not. Which means ~git is gone, as is our gitolite installation. The last backup of ~git we have is from Friday morning.

A few questions:
* I just be able to put the ~git backup back where it goes and things work, right? After installing git and gitolite, of course.
* We should be able to view our commits locally with gitk, right? And then recreate them and push to the server?
* Or, would git simply see our commits as newer than what it has and happily accept them?

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

Golbez posted:

A few questions:
* I just be able to put the ~git backup back where it goes and things work, right? After installing git and gitolite, of course.
* We should be able to view our commits locally with gitk, right? And then recreate them and push to the server?
* Or, would git simply see our commits as newer than what it has and happily accept them?

If ~git is just a folder with repos, then yes, just put it back where it was and it'll work. (But I've never used gitolite, so it might not be just that.)

If you have a local clone, just push to the remote as usual. No need for recreating anything, and commit dates will not change. DVCS is called "distributed", because every repo is equal, there is no predesignated "main" repo. If two repos have the same changesets, they are identical in every respect.

Cat Plus Plus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 30, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone using GitHub ever made a commit with a file that included some sensitive information with merges, issues, and whatnot pointing to it?

I doubt anyone will ever see it, and it's nothing major, but I just wonder if it's even at all possible to purge files and information like that.

Especially if it ever happens with an important password or some something such.

molinari
May 13, 2005

ufarn posted:

Has anyone using GitHub ever made a commit with a file that included some sensitive information with merges, issues, and whatnot pointing to it?

I doubt anyone will ever see it, and it's nothing major, but I just wonder if it's even at all possible to purge files and information like that.

Especially if it ever happens with an important password or some something such.

https://help.github.com/articles/remove-sensitive-data

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wow, that's great. Thanks a bunch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Change your password. If you've pushed at all, especially in a popular repo (you said merges and issues point to it) consider it compromised.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Change your password. If you've pushed at all, especially in a popular repo (you said merges and issues point to it) consider it compromised.
It's just my e-mail. No changing that, and no one basically watches nor forks my repo.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Can you use that sort of thing to change the initial commit of a git repos? I've not gotten that to work in the past but I wasn't using github's instructions either.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
filter-branch works fine on the initial commit; it's just rebase -i that doesn't.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just ran their commands and got this for people interested:

Sh code:
ufarn$ git filter-branch --index-filter \
'git rm --cached --ignore-unmatch <myfile>' \
--prune-empty --tag-name-filter cat -- --all
Rewrite 123 (444/449)rm '<myfile>'
Rewrite 124 (445/449)rm '<myfile>'
Rewrite 121 (446/449)rm '<myfile>'
Rewrite 431 (447/449)rm '<myfile>'
Rewrite 541 (448/449)rm '<myfile>'
Rewrite 110 (449/449)rm '<myfile>'

Ref 'refs/heads/master' was rewritten
Ref 'refs/remotes/origin/master' was rewritten
Ref 'refs/remotes/origin/gh-pages' was rewritten
WARNING: Ref 'refs/remotes/origin/master' is unchanged
The line escapes were added after the fact to preserve tables here. <myfile> and the xyz hashes have been inserted afterwards, too.

Does the last line just mean that I haven't pushed to my remote master at GitHub (which is true)? Or did something fail?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

We're migrating to git (from SVN) and we're having some issues with builds. (I'm a DBA, not a developer, every release we've had since migrating to Git has been a clusterfuck of late additions and "oh god why isn't this in the build augh", including one where we didn't finalise what was to be released until half a (business) hour before the release was due to go to production. We're currently a very process-driven risk-averse place, trying to become more "agile".)

Our developers work several weeks in advance of releases, and we're pushing for a two-week release cycle (used to be quarterly major releases and monthly minor releases). As far as I can tell, the process is:
- testers or external users raise issues
- BAs do their thing, create a bunch of Jira issues and sub-issues and documents and poo poo.
- Developers come along and develop that stuff, then commit it to a branch (which branch? :iiam:).

Every two weeks or so, we schedule a release:
- There's a meeting to decide what goes into the build for that release.
- A new branch is created.
- The development team leader sends out a list of those Jiras ordered by which developer worked on them.
- The developers commit the code for those Jiras to the release branch, which is built and then deployed.

Somewhere along the line, roughly half the poo poo for any given release goes missing, so the release fails functional and/or integration testing, so the developers send stuff directly to the infrastructure guys (DBA + applications engineers) to be manually integrated into the build.

Apparently, the weak point of this is identifying the Jiras that need to go for a build, because some of them aren't properly tagged as sub-issues and/or the dev TL doesn't chase all the way down the tree of issues.

Something tells me that using git and doing a build should not be this hard :sigh: What are we doing wrong? Alternatively, how should we be doing it?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Sounds like it is a "people not knowing how to do poo poo" issue -- no reason stuff should go missing except you've got git noobs at the help and/or people aren't pushing poo poo.

That said, your branching model should look something like http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ barring better input.

There is also an extension that supports said model in git or hg, it is called git-flow or hg-flow.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Personally, I dislike git-flow, I think it's overly complex.

I prefer the Github model where you have master, branch from master, do your work, deploy that branch, and if it goes well, merge it into master. They wrote about it here: https://github.com/blog/1241-deploying-at-github

I suspect, Thel that when you say branches or code are missing that developers aren't pushing them to the canonical remote?

What is your git server setup like? Do you use your own git server or Github/BitBucket/etc?

Deploying with Github is very easy, I think. I have an organization set up for my company. That's the canonical repository and all deploys are done from it's master branch. No other branches get pushed to it. Every developer on my team has a Github account. They fork the canonical repository, do their work, push as many branches remotely as they like to their fork. When their code is ready to be deployed, a pull request is opened, code review, run through CI/build server, everything looks good. Ok merge their code, one more CI/build server run though, and if that goes well, automatically deploy with Capistrano.

It requires good disciplined engineers, but it works amazingly well.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^Good points. If I were setting things up today, knowing DCVSes as well as I do now, I'd probaby look at more pull requests for workflow over branches. Now, I still think you need branching in the main repository depending on how many different production "versions" exist (we keep prod, qa and CI running for all projects).

quote:

Somewhere along the line, roughly half the poo poo for any given release goes missing, so the release fails functional and/or integration testing, so the developers send stuff directly to the infrastructure guys (DBA + applications engineers) to be manually integrated into the build.

I missed this. This is really your problem. You need dev/integration in the SCM. No code changes should go except via SCM in the correct channels. Period.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Github flow shines if you're doing continuous deployment. If you have versions and releases and the like, the complexity git-flow adds can be a help rather a hindrance.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^Exactly. Basically all we've got is continuously deployed webapps with too many cooks in the kitchen so maintaining concurrent development with concurrent QA with concurrent production is key. We were doing the same general sort of workflow with SVN. Which made me a badass svn merger with no fear. But it is so much better with HG or git.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Our flow, based on that webpage and modified for our needs, for our continually-updated website is:
* Time to code! Make a new branch off master named after the ticket for the bug/feature.
* Keep it local. We have development repos but I never merge into mine, since there's almost never any need for someone to view the code.
* When it's time to test, merge into test (which was branched off master some time ago) and wait.
* When it's signed off on, merge into master, tag it with a version number, push, then delete the original branch.

Sometimes, for whatever reason (a branch got merged into test but was cancelled before going live, etc), test starts to get out of sync with master, and we have to nuke it and rebuild it with all of our development branches.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

wwb posted:

Which made me a badass svn merger with no fear.

Did you write svn or something?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Golbez posted:

Our flow, based on that webpage and modified for our needs, for our continually-updated website is:
* Time to code! Make a new branch off master named after the ticket for the bug/feature.
* Keep it local. We have development repos but I never merge into mine, since there's almost never any need for someone to view the code.
* When it's time to test, merge into test (which was branched off master some time ago) and wait.
* When it's signed off on, merge into master, tag it with a version number, push, then delete the original branch.

I assume by "merge into master" you mean the feature branch? If you were instead just merging test into master, you'd never have to worry about it getting out of sync.

e: In that scenario, you'd also want to make your branches off of test, so you would know that you were caught up with the latest changes.

e2: Hey, wait a minute, why are you merging into test before testing? Why not just make sure your ticket branch is up-to-date and then test it directly? :confused:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 11, 2012

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you write svn or something?

Nope. But apparently I tried merges people thought not possible.

It really helped being on a gigabit connection to the svn server, made blowing things away relatively painless when merges got fubar.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I assume by "merge into master" you mean the feature branch? If you were instead just merging test into master, you'd never have to worry about it getting out of sync.

e: In that scenario, you'd also want to make your branches off of test, so you would know that you were caught up with the latest changes.

e2: Hey, wait a minute, why are you merging into test before testing? Why not just make sure your ticket branch is up-to-date and then test it directly? :confused:

Right, sorry, I meant merge the feature branch into testing. Test never gets merged into master.

We branch off master because of the aforementioned problems with test getting out of sync - I want to start with a 'pristine' copy of the code, not one that's been dirtied up with things in beta testing.

Merging into test is for when other people have to test it. I can test it just fine on my own development environment and what not, test goes to an actual server that other people than me can log in and view, and anyone can merge to it, not just me, so I might have a half dozen features being tested up there at any given time, and the other dev might have some too.

So, here's how a bill becomes law:

git checkout -b hd1234 master;
[coding, committing, tested by myself, and now ready for external testing]
git checkout test; git merge hd1234;
[if people want changes, these are made to hd1234 which is then remerged into test. if they sign off on it then...]
git checkout master; git merge hd1234; git tag -a -m "this is a feature" 5.0.1; git branch -d hd1234

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

• Why can't your feature branches also be tested by other people on this server you mention?
  • If test is just your feature branches merged together, which are then merged together again in master, why can't test just be merged into master?

e: This is turning into the vcs version of the "cobol in any language" joke.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Doc Hawkins posted:

• Why can't your feature branches also be tested by other people on this server you mention?
  • If test is just your feature branches merged together, which are then merged together again in master, why can't test just be merged into master?

e: This is turning into the vcs version of the "cobol in any language" joke.

We have three servers: Live, 'test', and 'dev'. They can't test on dev because it only has my current branch up at any moment, and I don't want people snooping around code I'm actively working on.

To answer the second question: 1) Because when I merge a branch into master, I'm just merging THAT branch. If I merged test into master, I'd be merging all 15 branches currently in active testing into master, which is obviously not what we want. 2) I would also be merging any branches that were killed after test but before master.