Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I thought Bag End was going to be MUCH bigger; I'm not sure if I'm glad it's only $60 or disappointed it's not the hobbit-hole version of a modular building. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Guys talk me out of selling my LEGO. I'm seriously broke and it is taking up a lot of space. At least give me some tips on storing it so it wouldn't be a huge pain in the rear end to dig out when I get wasted and want to build something.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
There's so much brown in those sets, it almost drowns out the set for me. I'm not really impressed by The Hobbit sets, as it seems a lot of them are so familiar to the LotR sets, like the Gollum set or Goblin king. Barrel and the wargs seem cool enough, but that's about it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Flavor Bear posted:

Guys talk me out of selling my LEGO. I'm seriously broke and it is taking up a lot of space. At least give me some tips on storing it so it wouldn't be a huge pain in the rear end to dig out when I get wasted and want to build something.

If you're about to lose your residence because of a lack of money, then sell. Hanging onto your lego is not worth being homeless. If things are not quite that dire and you just need to store them, then I'd suggest packing them into as few big, cheap rubbermaid/plastic bins from the walmart/salvation army/thrift store as you can manage. If you can't manage to buy any storage, then try to find some cardboard boxes and make sure you tape over all the cracks inside and out before loading them up with lego.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008

InfinEight posted:

If you're about to lose your residence because of a lack of money, then sell. Hanging onto your lego is not worth being homeless. If things are not quite that dire and you just need to store them, then I'd suggest packing them into as few big, cheap rubbermaid/plastic bins from the walmart/salvation army/thrift store as you can manage. If you can't manage to buy any storage, then try to find some cardboard boxes and make sure you tape over all the cracks inside and out before loading them up with lego.

I think this shows lego is too expensive at times, since I started reading the thread this is possibly the second time I have heard this!

Also is the B-wing set worth the money? I want something to go with R2.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Nazzle posted:

I think this shows lego is too expensive at times, since I started reading the thread this is possibly the second time I have heard this!

I think we can all agree Lego is a luxury, and not something that should be put ahead of basic living needs. Not that selling your Lego collection will assure you keep a roof over your head, but at the very least, money is easier to carry around than Lego pieces.

\/\/ I didn't know about that brickpicker site until you mentioned it, and apparently if all my sets were still new, they would be worth over $19,000 :staredog:

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 8, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
When I put my sets into that brickpicker website and it told me what my collection was worth I was amazed. It is funny how most of the stuff before star wars sets held at least retail value, the UCS star wars sets almost always seem to be worth a lot more. I was looking at the Y-Wing and Snowspeeder and to buy both would of cost me around $1000 USED. Both sets sold for $150.

Lego is defiantly a luxury and I try follow my 'lego' budget but if money is needed for anything else it is the first thing cut. It is mostly so I don't overspend.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Nazzle posted:

Also is the B-wing set worth the money? I want something to go with R2.

It wasn't what I expected personally, but now that it's together and on display, it's awesome. The only downside, and I don't know how this compares to other UCS, but it's not very swooshable.

e. To explain, the back half on the cockpit falls of easily, as does part of the lower gun pod.

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Where should I look to find out the appropriate price for used lego sets? And what's the appropriate state of disassembly to ship them in?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

muike posted:

Where should I look to find out the appropriate price for used lego sets? And what's the appropriate state of disassembly to ship them in?

I sold some of my Lego sets recently and I just searched for similar sets on my local eBay and craigslist pages and set the prices accordingly. http://www.brickset.com will also show eBay listings if you look up particular sets.

When I sold my sets I took everything apart and put the lego pieces in ziplock bags sorted roughly by colour and size. I then put the bags and the instructions in the original box, taped the box up and posted it in a padded bag. I have also bought used Lego in the past where all the pieces were tossed in one bag together and only half disassembled and I've bought other sets where all the pieces were meticulously sorted by colour and size and had been put back into the original Lego bags and taped up so it is really up to how much effort you feel like putting into the process.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="408333077"]
It wasn't what I expected personally, but now that it's together and on display, it's awesome. The only downside, and I don't know how this compares to other UCS, but it's not very swooshable.

e. To explain, the back half on the cockpit falls of easily, as does part of the lower gun pod.

UCS sets aren't usually very swooshable, if only because of the size and weight.

e: Obi-wan's Starfighter is an exception to that though. It's perfect swooshing size and the underside is very easy to hold. :3:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

muike posted:

Make a post here first and I am sure we will snag a bunch of those off of you really fast. I am always in the market for new Lego sets, especially any older City sets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

jeeves posted:

If anyone lives in the bay area, the dude that I bought the NiB $140 Haunted House set off of Craigslist reposted another one. They must be falling off the back of a truck for him or something because he also has the B-Wing and such for much cheaper than retail.
Reminds me of that guy who was swapping barcodes on Lego sets at Target to get them cheap and then selling the sets.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Helm's Deep is 30% off at Amazon.co.uk, down to £70. Thanks brick badger :D

In theory I'm saving up for the Haunted House... but then I see I could get Helm's Deep and the Vampire Castle for the same price and I'm just not so sure any more.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey fellas. Help a guy make a decision. With $180, what's better? The haunted house, or the vampyre castle + ghost train? I've seen a lot of talk about how the haunted house is a lot of little 1x1 parts and the like, and the inside of it seems kind of empty and lacking in places. Even throwing in the grandfather clock, it seems like the haunted house isn't very haunted.

I've wanted to grab both a castle and a train for awhile, and Halloween-y sets seem like the perfect time to go for it. Money's been fairly tight this summer, so I'm only just getting up to the 180 needed for the haunted house. But I started having my doubts. There's just something about it that seems kinda lackluster.

How are the castle and train builds like? Any interesting pieces or neat building tricks they throw in? I've seen a few time lapse videos for the haunted house, and it does seem pretty boring/repetitive.

Only reason I'd go for the haunted house is that it'd be easier building back up to 100 than 180. Get the most expensive one first and go from there, ya know? I'm conflicted! This is the silliest first world problem ever! What do you think, guys? What'd be more fun for sitting around putting together on Halloween?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey fellas. Help a guy make a decision. With $180, what's better? The haunted house, or the vampyre castle + ghost train? I've seen a lot of talk about how the haunted house is a lot of little 1x1 parts and the like, and the inside of it seems kind of empty and lacking in places. Even throwing in the grandfather clock, it seems like the haunted house isn't very haunted.

I've wanted to grab both a castle and a train for awhile, and Halloween-y sets seem like the perfect time to go for it. Money's been fairly tight this summer, so I'm only just getting up to the 180 needed for the haunted house. But I started having my doubts. There's just something about it that seems kinda lackluster.

How are the castle and train builds like? Any interesting pieces or neat building tricks they throw in? I've seen a few time lapse videos for the haunted house, and it does seem pretty boring/repetitive.

Only reason I'd go for the haunted house is that it'd be easier building back up to 100 than 180. Get the most expensive one first and go from there, ya know? I'm conflicted! This is the silliest first world problem ever! What do you think, guys? What'd be more fun for sitting around putting together on Halloween?

The haunted house looks awesome though once it's done. Grab some ghosts from the poly bags at target and it gets plenty haunted. :) Plus, I have it near the rest of the modular buildings I have and while it doesn't attach to them, it still fits in pretty nicely.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

ChibiSoma posted:

I only have the Haunted House, but I loved the decor. I added a few things here and there, but it was by no means necessary. Here's what I did with mine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lurch doing the Monster Mash :3:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gravy Jones posted:

Helm's Deep is 30% off at Amazon.co.uk, down to £70. Thanks brick badger :D

In theory I'm saving up for the Haunted House... but then I see I could get Helm's Deep and the Vampire Castle for the same price and I'm just not so sure any more.

What happened to your star?

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
My wife and I are super into Halloween (it's our anniversary as well) and we got the entire Monster Fighter line. I enjoyed building the house most of all. But I think the most "playable" aspect is the awesome cars that come with most sets, particulary the one from the Zombies set with the rotating hammers.

I feel like I should make a stop-motion movie of a humans vs monsters road race similar to the old Hanna-Barbera Wacky Races.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nice to see I am not the only one to put a skeleton in the closet on the Haunted House. You can easily make the Haunted House a bit more eye popping with the graveyard set and if you collect the minifures, you know have a home for all the monster figures that have been released, that alone will fill in the house nicely. Get some zombie heads and make a zombie black knight, tribal chief or any other characters to add some detail to the house. I added some spiders, rats and snakes I had laying around, for a few bucks extra you can really make the haunted house detailed.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I love the slime in the window, I'm going to have to try that out

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That is a martian looking out the window. I have a bunch of then, but I didn't want my haunted house too alieny.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This guy's flickr account has a bunch of photos of the 2013 Ninjago and City sets. He also has photos of something called the "Fabuland builder's guild", which terrified me for a bit until I realised they weren't official sets. Please notice that the Crabtank has what appears to be a second tank underneath it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Krazyface posted:

This guy's flickr account has a bunch of photos of the 2013 Ninjago and City sets. He also has photos of something called the "Fabuland builder's guild", which terrified me for a bit until I realised they weren't official sets. Please notice that the Crabtank has what appears to be a second tank underneath it.

Holy poo poo a temple WITH a ninja mech. I'm not sure I can resist that one. Not sure if I like the new City stuff, but the motorcycles look pretty awesome. Might have to get the museum heist one, too.

I saw these posted on Brickset, but the pictures were crap. Great find, thanks.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Holy crap, hey're switching from snakes to crabs? Crabs in tanks? I love ninjago, its absurd in the best way.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Can anyone from the UK buy me one of these ( http://legostig.co.uk/ ) and ship it to germany?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That seems like just the fire and police part of City, and usually they have more sub themes like construction or trucks or planes.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

TMNT just confirmed at NYCC:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yes. Yeeeeeesssssssssssssssss.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Holy poo poo

Where's my Casey Jones, I need him for a Lego Deadpool teamup

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Big pics via Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/5950814/lego-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-official-collection-people

They've gone full-on action figure now

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I totally understand the reasoning behind why they aren't doing it - but man I wish the series was based on the '80s version of the show.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of all the 'Lego-other theme' lines, but that Shredder is sweet.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Voodoo posted:

I totally understand the reasoning behind why they aren't doing it - but man I wish the series was based on the '80s version of the show.

I think you meant to say "but man I wish the series was based on the original Mirage Studios comic".

These are neat and I might pick up a tiny set that has a Raph mini-fig, but otherwise I will have to pass.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What is that van supposed to be based on? It doesn't look like I remember it at all.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

What is that van supposed to be based on? It doesn't look like I remember it at all.

I'm guessing that's the design from the newest TMNT cartoon that's airing now, but I'm not sure.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's their new mode of transport, the Shellraiser.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Lego nunchuks. There's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ika posted:

Can anyone from the UK buy me one of these ( http://legostig.co.uk/ ) and ship it to germany?

Can someone buy me one of theose and ship it to the US? I'll pay for shipping and such.