Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Anyone in the UK had any experience buying WQHD monitors?

Specifically looking at the following options.
  • Achieva Shimian QH270-LITE PP Potentially the cheapest but not sure about import fees when using Amazon.

• Crossover 27Q. A little pricier, again unsure on import fees and some problems reported in this thread?

• Hazro HZ27WC. Glossy with a cheap case and the most expensive, no pixel perfect guarantee but it's UK stock.

• Hazro HZ27WB. Glossy again, a cheaper version of the above with the same limitations and mediocre build quality. Review here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The Hazro ones have long been considered a pretty decent monitor (that isn't available to anyone outside Europe, so it doesn't get much discussion), and the other two are just generic Korean IPS monitors of the style that've gotten so much discussion here of late. Is there something specific you wanted to know?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Specifically I was curious about the Hazro build quality vs risk of import charges on the korean ones. Been doing a bit of research and the Hazro seems pretty good combined with UK consumer protection.

£332 for overnight delivery pretty much seals the deal.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

The Hazro ones have long been considered a pretty decent monitor (that isn't available to anyone outside Europe, so it doesn't get much discussion), and the other two are just generic Korean IPS monitors of the style that've gotten so much discussion here of late. Is there something specific you wanted to know?

I think that the only difference between the Hazro and Shimian is the name on the front.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Verizian posted:

£332 for overnight delivery pretty much seals the deal.

You're looking at the price excluding VAT, it's £399 with it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

...! posted:

Any thoughts on the ASUS VE278Q?

I've got one. It's TN and so it wasn't well received in the thread but I went to exchange it and a side by side comparison I couldn't see much difference so I stuck with the bigger size and saved 100 bucks rather than exchange it for an IPS. I think it looks nice but ymmv.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is 120Hz IPS a thing that could happen in 2013 or is that technology unfeasible for whatever reason?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Paul Pot posted:

Is 120Hz IPS a thing that could happen in 2013 or is that technology unfeasible for whatever reason?

Have you read this yet?
http://www.overlordcomputer.com/Overclock_Overview_s/1825.htm

Those guys have a pretty good explanation as to what's holding it up. Sounds like it's just a matter of monitor manufacturers using PCB's that support it and most of them don't because most people don't have video cards that are prepared to handle it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I ended up buying a Dell U2312HM. I'm going to feel kind of sad boxing up my old Samsung Syncmaster 226; it's served me well. I remember being thrilled with it when I bought it because I somehow won the Syncmaster lottery and got one that was actually manufactured by Samsung themselves (most Syncmaster 226s were actually manufactured by AOC or (I think) Chi Mei and were inferior to the Samsung-manufactured ones). It appears to be fixable if you're comfortable operating on the monitor's PCB, which I am not. I can't decide if I'm going to try to fix it anyway, since I won't be using it otherwise, or trying to sell it as a $50 project to someone.

...! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 12, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

Could happen? Yes. In fact some have already been released (in Korea), and some of the popular Korean 27" IPS ones that've gotten pimped in this thread can be overclocked to 120Hz (assuming you have an ATI card--NVidia's cards generally cap somewhere in the 70-85Hz range).

Now, can we expect to see one? No. The market demand for it is pretty tiny, so even in the off chance that one was released in the US, expect that it would be outrageously priced.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
Wait what?

My Nvidia card supports 120 hz through the DVI-DL interface to my TN panel. (specifically an ASUS GTX 670-DC2-2GD5 to a Benq XL2420Tx)

Imodium AD fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 12, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Perhaps referring specifically to the Korean monitors? Monitor connections can be weird; I had an HDMI cable lock up a system when, and only when, trying to display HDCP content.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
I could see that. I could also see Nvidia disabling the option for 120hz on lower end chipsets if they know the hardware wont support it. My first thought was 'but almost anything can play CS1.6 at 120 FPS' but realized FPS != hz

My hardware is a bit goofy when it comes to interfaces. The GPU only sends audio out the HDMI and DP interfaces while the LCD supposedly also supports it from DVI. The GPU's HDMI is limited to 60hz and for 3d it's limited to 24 hz. So really my only option for PC use is DVI.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MMD3 posted:

Have you read this yet?
http://www.overlordcomputer.com/Overclock_Overview_s/1825.htm

Those guys have a pretty good explanation as to what's holding it up. Sounds like it's just a matter of monitor manufacturers using PCB's that support it and most of them don't because most people don't have video cards that are prepared to handle it.

I didn't realize 120Hz was that taxing on graphic cards even though I still don't understand the mechanics behind that. I only play Quake 3/CS 1.6 era games in PvP multiplayer and figured my hardware was powerful enough to run those at 1080p/120fps, but apparently that's only part of the story.

Guess I'll look for a nice 60Hz IPS with low response time after Christmas.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Imodium AD posted:

Wait what?

My Nvidia card supports 120 hz through the DVI-DL interface to my TN panel. (specifically an ASUS GTX 670-DC2-2GD5 to a Benq XL2420Tx)
Yeah, but your monitor is only 1920x1080, while the Korean ones are 2560x1440. Big difference. You're free to speculate as to why NVidia caps a lot of their cards' refresh rates at high resolutions, whereas ATI does not, but for the moment it's certainly something to consider if you're lusting after the concept of a 120Hz 2560x1440 screen.

Paul Pot posted:

I didn't realize 120Hz was that taxing on graphic cards even though I still don't understand the mechanics behind that. I only play Quake 3/CS 1.6 era games in PvP multiplayer and figured my hardware was powerful enough to run those at 1080p/120fps, but apparently that's only part of the story.

Guess I'll look for a nice 60Hz IPS with low response time after Christmas.
120Hz is twice as hard on graphics cards as 60Hz, but there's nothing really special there--if your card can run game X at 120FPS, there's not a whole lot of reason for it to not be able to push 120Hz (NVidia's curious capping aside). The bigger limitation is on the monitor end--very few monitors actually support 120Hz, and fewer still are IPS (which is a generally slower screen technology than TN).

Unless anyone knows of any other 120Hz IPS screens available in the US, at the moment you're pretty much restricted to trying to nab one of the special over-clockable Korean ones and using an ATI card to power it. Your other options are 120Hz on a 1920x1080 TN (bunch of monitors there) and sacrificing the IPS pretty, or staying with IPS and accepting not-120Hz.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrDork posted:

Unless anyone knows of any other 120Hz IPS screens available in the US, at the moment you're pretty much restricted to trying to nab one of the special over-clockable Korean ones and using an ATI card to power it. Your other options are 120Hz on a 1920x1080 TN (bunch of monitors there) and sacrificing the IPS pretty, or staying with IPS and accepting not-120Hz.

I don't make a living playing video games so there's no way I'm sacrificing viewing angles/colors for a little extra fluidity or overclocking Korean monitors. Is the U2312HM still the best IPS has to offer in terms of input lag?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's very close to 0, so yeah.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but your monitor is only 1920x1080, while the Korean ones are 2560x1440. Big difference. You're free to speculate as to why NVidia caps a lot of their cards' refresh rates at high resolutions, whereas ATI does not, but for the moment it's certainly something to consider if you're lusting after the concept of a 120Hz 2560x1440 screen.

I am an idiot and thought 1440x900 when I read the article. This makes much more sense now.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

DrDork posted:

They both cap the pixel clock. It's a long story:

AMD's driver caps the pixel clock to 330 MHz with dual-link DVI, which is only enough to get 81-85 Hz at 2560x1440, depending on the timing parameters used.

NVIDIA's driver originally allowed up to 400 MHz with 500-series (Fermi) and older cards, which was enough to get 97-102 Hz at 2560x1440.

Then the 600-series (Kepler) cards came out, and the driver allowed those to go over 500 MHz, which was more than enough for 120 Hz, but SLI was still limited to 400 MHz.

We tried to get both AMD and NVIDIA to remove those limits, but it was fruitless.

June:

I modified AMD's driver to allow higher pixel clocks, which allowed pretty much any AMD/ATI card made in the last few years to get at least 110 Hz.

Then for some reason, NVIDIA capped the pixel clock to 330 MHz starting with the 304.48 beta driver. 301.42 was the last version that allowed higher pixel clocks.

August:

The article was written at this point, but it did not mention that you had to use a modified driver to overcome the limits with AMD/ATI cards, nor did it mention that the older NVIDIA drivers allowed higher pixel clocks.

September:

I got an NVIDIA card and modified the driver to remove the 330 MHz limit as well as the 400 MHz limit for SLI. Then I found a way around the 400 MHz limit for older cards.

Now pretty much any AMD/ATI and NVIDIA card made in the last few years can get at least 110 Hz with these monitors by using the modified drivers.

All of this information was posted on 120hz.net. I wrote a quick start guide here: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?683-Overclocking-Quick-Start-Guide

The only problem is modifying AMD's driver breaks HDCP support and video acceleration (DXVA), but video acceleration can be disabled in Flash and most video players. NVIDIA's driver doesn't have that problem.

The only way we'll ever see 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz monitors from big name brands is if someone develops the hardware to do it over DisplayPort because they're not going to support using modified drivers. Ironically, the monitors that have the DisplayPort timing controller are the ones that can't overclock.

If you want to know more about the various limitations with dual-link DVI, I'll quote what I posted here: http://overlordforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

ToastyX posted:

Some people were claiming 2560x1440 @ 100-120 Hz is not possible with DVI because they didn't understand where the limitations were coming from. They didn't even test one of these monitors to verify what they were saying.

Let's start with the official DVI standard. The DVI standard states that single link implementations must be limited to 165 MHz or less, and anything greater than 165 MHz must be split across two links. Unfortunately, many people have misinterpreted that to mean each link is limited to 165 MHz for a total of 330 MHz with two links, but that's not true. In fact, the DVI standard specifically states, "there is no maximum for the dual link implementations."

That leaves four possible sources for limitations:

1. Cable
2. Monitor
3. Video card
4. Video drivers

Let's start with the cable. Most dual link cables are designed to handle at least 330 MHz, which effectively means 330,000,000 pixels per second. TMDS uses 8b/10b encoding, which means 24-bit color is transmitted using 30 bits per pixel. That's where 7.92 Gbps and 9.9 Gbps comes from. 7.92 Gbps (330,000,000 * 24 = 7,920,000,000) is the amount of data transferred, and 9.9 Gbps (330,000,000 * 30 = 9,900,000,000) is the amount of bandwidth used to transfer that data. That is the MINIMUM. Most cables can handle more than that. If you reach the limits of what the cable can handle, you will start seeing artifacts like flickering lines or colored pixels. It will not lose frames.

The amount of bandwidth used includes blanking, which includes the period between each line and each frame that isn't shown on the screen. 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz is typically sent as 2720x1481 @ ~59.95055 Hz to make the pixel clock 241.50 MHz, so 2720 * 1481 * ~59.95055 = 241,500,000 * 30 = 7,245,000,000 = 7.245 Gbps

Now on to the transmission of the data from the video card to the monitor. The video card sends a constant stream of data. At higher refresh rates, the data is sent faster. It's not possible for frames to get lost. If the monitor or the cable can't handle the faster data rate, the monitor won't be able to process the data and you won't get a usable picture. Some monitors do process the data and skip frames at higher refresh rates, but I've already proven that's not the case with the single-input models (see pictures in the original thread).

As for the monitor itself, the main board with the DVI input has a DVI receiver that is designed to handle at least 450 MHz, which is enough to get 109-114 Hz, depending on the timing parameters used. That's not quite enough for 120 Hz, but the receiver can usually handle more than designed. The receiver takes the DVI input and sends the data to the timing controller board using quad channel LVDS output, which can easily handle the data rate. The timing controller then sends the data to the panel. The LVDS timing controller made by LG is the one that can handle high refresh rates. The monitors that can't overclock have a DisplayPort timing controller made by Parade.

Now on to the video card. Most video cards made in the last few years have TMDS transmitters that can handle at least 225 MHz per link. That also gives us 450 MHz with two links, but most TMDS transmitters can handle a little more than designed, and some newer ones can handle 300+ MHz per link. 120 Hz requires around 468 to 497.76 MHz, depending on the timing parameters used.

The biggest obstacle has been the video drivers. Even though the hardware is capable, both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA have placed limits in their drivers:

• AMD/ATI's driver limits dual-link DVI to 330 MHz, which is only enough to get 81-85 Hz, depeneding on the timing parameters used.
  • NVIDIA's driver originally allowed 500+ MHz with 600-series cards, but SLI and older cards were limited to 400 MHz, which is still enough to get 97-102 Hz, depending on the timing parameters used. After 301.42, they implemented a 330 MHz limit for all cards.

By now, I have managed to remove most of the limits from both drivers. Patchers are available here:

See the Quick Start Guide.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Very informative, thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm looking to add another monitor possibly but have some questions. I'm going to use it for Iracing, a racing simulator.

Game requirements are kind of low, but I know nothing about this stuff, so I'll throw it in here.

Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Intel Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2
or higher
NVidia GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon X1800 or above graphics adapter recommended
2 GB system RAM

I basically want to know if my hardware is even capable as I'd be looking at two 24" monitors in 1920x1080. My card has 2 DVI ports but it's the rest I'm not sure of.

Here's what my computer is basically, it was easier than typing it out. It had the best bang for buck components a year or two ago when I bought it.

Assuming my computer can handle it, any recommended stands for 2 monitors? My desk is glass so I can't use the clamp on types. My first monitor is an ASUS VK246H which I'm completely satisfied with. I'd probably get another cheap ASUS to match it just because.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
2 monitors isn't usually recommended for gaming because you have the bezel directly in the center, but I don't know if that would matter for a racing game as much

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You can move around the center point in the games config it looks like.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
How much will one of the Korean 27-inchers make my 4GB GTX460 cry? I'd love to get one, but also having to buy a new GFX card would put it out of my budget.

sadwallaby
Apr 12, 2002

first post of the thread posted:

Asus VG236H (TN, 120Hz, 3D Ready)
Inputs: 1x DVI-D (120Hz 3D), 1x HDMI, 1x Component
Resolution: 1920x1080
Recommended: AnandTech liked it, no goon reports
Tags: 3D, 120Hz, 23", 16:9
+/- 120Hz
+/- glossy
+ height and tilting stand
+ 3D Ready
+ absolutely awesome at games, VSync at 120FPS

Is this monitor still pretty standard for a decent 3d gaming monitor? I've been watching it on newegg and it's been out of stock for awhile. It's still available on amazon for 50 dollars more. Is there something out there that is replacing this model that is causing it to go out of stock? Is there something better that I should look at for a 120hz 3d monitor?

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?

ToastyX posted:

It's a long story

Very interesting thank you.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

sadwallaby posted:

Is this monitor still pretty standard for a decent 3d gaming monitor? I've been watching it on newegg and it's been out of stock for awhile. It's still available on amazon for 50 dollars more. Is there something out there that is replacing this model that is causing it to go out of stock? Is there something better that I should look at for a 120hz 3d monitor?

Whoa, that looks pretty out of date and $350 for a 23" TN panel is highway robbery. We haven't been tracking the TN panels because they're basically interchangeable and there are millions of models that are discontinued and replaced with new models constantly. About all you can do is pick something from a decent brand and check reviews. Check the "First Offered on Amazon" date to see if something is recent or not.

Also, you'll probably be a lot happier with an IPS if you can pay the slight price premium. 3D is pretty much a gimmick.

sadwallaby
Apr 12, 2002

evensevenone posted:

Whoa, that looks pretty out of date and $350 for a 23" TN panel is highway robbery. We haven't been tracking the TN panels because they're basically interchangeable and there are millions of models that are discontinued and replaced with new models constantly. About all you can do is pick something from a decent brand and check reviews. Check the "First Offered on Amazon" date to see if something is recent or not.

Also, you'll probably be a lot happier with an IPS if you can pay the slight price premium. 3D is pretty much a gimmick.

My wife and I love 3d, but I don't want to pay the premium price to get 3d on a TV. I like a lot of my games in 3d, and going forward would like it to be an option. Ergo, the best possible 3d monitor for my money, with a focus on gaming.

I have a 24" dell that's a bit old but still has lovely color that I don't need to replace. Literally only looking to upgrade to a 3d set.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
This seems to be the updated version (and is IPS to boot).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236262

$239

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's not really an "updated" version--there are a LOT of compromises in the VG23AH that should make you really think twice. One, it's not 120Hz--it maxes at ~75Hz (and even then that's overclocked from its normal 60Hz), so no silky-smooth gaming in normal 2D mode. Because of that, it also uses a passive 3D system, which effectively runs at 1920x540@60Hz per eye, instead of the VG236H (the TN one), which uses the active NVidia 3D technology to pump out 1920x1080@60Hz per eye. So the 3D you're going to get is sub-par, and if you're only looking at the monitor as a 3D gaming monitor, it's not what you want. That it's IPS might make it a compelling monitor for people who are more interested in color/viewing angles/etc., and only occasionally want to dabble in 3D, but for you sadwallaby, I'd skip it and stick with something driven by NVidia 3D.

Here's an absolutely enormous review of the VG23AH, if you're interested: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/gadgetry-electronics-discussion/11673-asus-vg23ah-review-semi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 14, 2012

sadwallaby
Apr 12, 2002

Thanks for the breakdown. Looks like I'm going to have to do more research then just taking the recommended one from 8 months of this thread :(

I do have a 3d vision enabled nvidia card so I'll look for something that can run that, thanks.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

DrDork posted:

That's not really an "updated" version--there are a LOT of compromises in the VG23AH that should make you really think twice. One, it's not 120Hz--it maxes at ~75Hz (and even then that's overclocked from its normal 60Hz), so no silky-smooth gaming in normal 2D mode. Because of that, it also uses a passive 3D system, which effectively runs at 1920x540@60Hz per eye, instead of the VG236H (the TN one), which uses the active NVidia 3D technology to pump out 1920x1080@60Hz per eye. So the 3D you're going to get is sub-par, and if you're only looking at the monitor as a 3D gaming monitor, it's not what you want. That it's IPS might make it a compelling monitor for people who are more interested in color/viewing angles/etc., and only occasionally want to dabble in 3D, but for you sadwallaby, I'd skip it and stick with something driven by NVidia 3D.

Here's an absolutely enormous review of the VG23AH, if you're interested: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/gadgetry-electronics-discussion/11673-asus-vg23ah-review-semi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html

Also for the record, I bought this monitor based on this review's enormous hard-on for it, and returned it 2 days later. The filter used to allow for the passive 3d creates tiny lines through the entire display that are incredibly distracting. I thought I could ignore it for the ability to play games in 3d, but after several hours of experimentation, I simply could not find any way to look at the display without getting crosstalk over a quarter of the screen. I even tried sitting on the other side of the room away from the monitor to no effect. You might say this is simply the way it is with passive 3d, but my roommate has a vizio 32" 3d display that looks absolutely gorgeous and has enormous viewing angles for the 3d with little-to-no crosstalk.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
3d may be a gimmick, but if you're big into gaming the 120hz may not be.

I went kind of monitor wild and shelled out for the Asus VG278HE (144hz 27" 1080p) and an Asus PB278Q (1440p IPS 27"). The difference in any sort of fps in particular is extremely noticeable (between both the IPS, and my old 24" TN).

Bearpowers
Nov 6, 2011
I'm looking into a U2312HM, my budget for a monitor is around $300.

Reviews seem pretty positive, but I did see a few mentions of bleeding, although they were in the minority.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also is there a better monitor in my range you think?

23/24 inch is my ideal, I don't play any fast faced games so IPS would be nice as I enjoy good colors+black levels.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Bearpowers posted:

I'm looking into a U2312HM, my budget for a monitor is around $300.

Reviews seem pretty positive, but I did see a few mentions of bleeding, although they were in the minority.

Can anyone comment on this?

Also is there a better monitor in my range you think?

23/24 inch is my ideal, I don't play any fast faced games so IPS would be nice as I enjoy good colors+black levels.

I just got mine. I'm happy with it so far. I haven't noticed any bleeding but I haven't really been looking for any.

Bearpowers
Nov 6, 2011

...! posted:

I just got mine. I'm happy with it so far. I haven't noticed any bleeding but I haven't really been looking for any.

Ah, well that's good to know.

Thanks for your input, man.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I don't ever really see anyone talking about this, but I got the Dell Soundbar with my U2312HM and I'm loving that, too. It draws its power from a passthrough cable that connects to the monitor rather than having its own power cord. It's pretty sweet. I did notice that on the Dell site, they try to sell you the newest soundbar for $50 but I bought the old model for $20 and it works just fine; it connects to the monitor using the same connector as the new one.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

VextheGrey posted:

I went kind of monitor wild and shelled out for the Asus VG278HE (144hz 27" 1080p) and an Asus PB278Q (1440p IPS 27"). The difference in any sort of fps in particular is extremely noticeable (between both the IPS, and my old 24" TN).

Do you mean that the 120hz monitor made a big difference in terms of how fluid the picture was?

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"

balakadaka posted:

Do you mean that the 120hz monitor made a big difference in terms of how fluid the picture was?

Yeah, to be specific the high refresh monitor is extremely noticeable in games (provided the FPS is above 60).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

...! posted:

I don't ever really see anyone talking about this, but I got the Dell Soundbar with my U2312HM and I'm loving that, too. It draws its power from a passthrough cable that connects to the monitor rather than having its own power cord. It's pretty sweet. I did notice that on the Dell site, they try to sell you the newest soundbar for $50 but I bought the old model for $20 and it works just fine; it connects to the monitor using the same connector as the new one.

Yeah, all the way confirmed - I've been using an ancient Dell soundbar (2002 era or something) fitted to my U2410, the clips are the same, the power connector is the same.