Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
So I was scooping out my cats' litterbox today, and I found some odd white-ish stool. They were few and far between the regular turds but I still am nervous about it. Does anyone know anything about this symptom? (Their diet is pretty steady, though they like their water out of the toilet sometimes.)

Edit: I should add that I have three cats (ages 5, 3, and 2) and two litter boxes. I usually clean their boxes twice a week, but this week I got married and haven't had enough time to clean it until today... so about a week.

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Regarding overstimulated cats, I don't think that a cat has to be unhappy to be overstimulated. They can be loving being pet and still be overstimulated.

Our youngest cat is still bitey. She was a feral kitten, and while she's a lot better than she was, she will still only tolerate being pet for so long before she bites, and she will be purring and happy before she turns on your hand. It's just how she is.

Mostly for her I wish she wouldn't use claws. :sigh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. I've always avoided bringing toxic poo poo into my house because I know the frogs especially can be very sensitive, and there's very little research as to what they can or can't tolerate.

The cats like to roll around on the entryway rug, there's a recliner back they hang out on, and then there's our bed where they like to hang around at night. We're gonna vacuum the poo poo out of the rug and the recliner, and wash our bedding constantly and I guess we'll try keeping them out of the bedroom but they have a habit of standing in the hallway and howling at us at 2 AM when we do that so we'll have to see how that goes.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Leperflesh posted:

I guess we'll try keeping them out of the bedroom but they have a habit of standing in the hallway and howling at us at 2 AM when we do that so we'll have to see how that goes.

Here's another chance to use the vacuum. Turn it on, unplugged, and set it outside the door. Snake the cord under the door to your room. When they decide to howl at the door, plug in the vacuum.

It's the poor man's manual ssscat.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm looking for some advice on how to talk my sister out of getting a cat.

She's currently working abroad, and is looking to move back to the UK sometime next year. For about six months she's had her heart set on getting a Persian teacup cat. I think this would be a bad idea for a number of reasons:

1) She works long hours, leaving before 8 and not often returning until after 9, so would not be able to feed it during the day.
2) She seems to view the cat as a lifestyle accessory that will require very little effort from her (she was enthusing to me about how their small size means they mustn't go outside and makes them easy to care for).
3) She has no idea how much it costs to look after an animal properly.
4) Our mum and I are both strongly allergic to cats and wouldn't be able to visit her if she got one.

Normally with her I'd simply wait for her to get bored of the idea, but this one has persisted for several months now and I'm worried she'll actually do it. Can anyone point me towards a list of reasons not to get a cat?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Have any of you experienced end stage renal failure in a cat? My 17 year old cat has had chronic renal failure for almost 2 years now, but looks like the picture of health since we started fluids on her. She's about 10lbs and gets 60cc of fluid every other day and some famotidine when she seems to lose her appetite or vomit, which is rarely now a days. She still gets around fine, is very vocal and active for an older cat, and has gained weight since she was diagnosed.

Today my mom told me her routine bloodwork came back and her phosphorus levels were "off" along with something else she didn't know. The vet won't be calling her till tonight but I'm worried about my cat. I called to see if they could send me the bloodworm as I work at a vet but the office was closed.

My mom (she lives with my mom) said she seems fine and looks fine, so we're not sure if they're a little off or majorly off and I'm not sure what either of those things would entail. Any advice?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm looking for some advice on how to talk my sister out of getting a cat.

She's currently working abroad, and is looking to move back to the UK sometime next year. For about six months she's had her heart set on getting a Persian teacup cat. I think this would be a bad idea for a number of reasons:

1) She works long hours, leaving before 8 and not often returning until after 9, so would not be able to feed it during the day.
2) She seems to view the cat as a lifestyle accessory that will require very little effort from her (she was enthusing to me about how their small size means they mustn't go outside and makes them easy to care for).
4) Our mum and I are both strongly allergic to cats and wouldn't be able to visit her if she got one.

Normally with her I'd simply wait for her to get bored of the idea, but this one has persisted for several months now and I'm worried she'll actually do it. Can anyone point me towards a list of reasons not to get a cat?

Tell her to at least wait till she gets back to the UK to buy one. It's a hassle to bring in a cat from outside the cointry, depending on where she is at the moment. This should give you more time for her to lose interest.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

DoctorTristan posted:

Of your reasons, I don't think 1 carries all that much weight. Cats are good at sleeping all day and don't necessarily need to be meal-fed. You can leave them alone for long periods of time, although it helps to have two so they entertain each other.

#2: Persians have some heavy regular grooming requirements, but indoor cat maintenance is pretty low-key.

#3 is legitimate: 'Teacup Persian' sounds like a walking vet bill (they basically get to teacup by breeding sickly runts). A doll-face may not have the breathing and tear-duct issues that the flat-faced kind do, but there are other predispositions like kidney disease.

#4 is probably not a good one to frame your argument around. It may be true, but it'll sound like manipulation.

In general, I would caution young adults who aren't fully settled to think hard before getting a cat. It makes it harder and more expensive to find a place to rent, you can't take off for a week at a moment's notice, and you need to plan ahead if you're going to be gone overnight. Vet emergencies can and do happen, so it helps to have some dedicated savings.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 9, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Have any of you experienced end stage renal failure in a cat? My 17 year old cat has had chronic renal failure for almost 2 years now, but looks like the picture of health since we started fluids on her. She's about 10lbs and gets 60cc of fluid every other day and some famotidine when she seems to lose her appetite or vomit, which is rarely now a days. She still gets around fine, is very vocal and active for an older cat, and has gained weight since she was diagnosed.

Today my mom told me her routine bloodwork came back and her phosphorus levels were "off" along with something else she didn't know. The vet won't be calling her till tonight but I'm worried about my cat. I called to see if they could send me the bloodworm as I work at a vet but the office was closed.

My mom (she lives with my mom) said she seems fine and looks fine, so we're not sure if they're a little off or majorly off and I'm not sure what either of those things would entail. Any advice?

Chronic kidney cats certainly can have manageable disease for a long time!

In some CRF cats, phosphorous levels can change due to the kidney not doing its job right - pretty much always an increased level. Several things can be done, from phosphorous restricted kidney diets to adding a phosphorous binder on food that keeps them from absorbing phosphorous.

The other thing that could be off is any number of things.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Chamberk posted:

Edit: I should add that I have three cats (ages 5, 3, and 2) and two litter boxes. I usually clean their boxes twice a week, but this week I got married and haven't had enough time to clean it until today... so about a week.

I haven't been a cat owner very long, but we have three cats (a fourth one is in the house, but it lives mostly separate with our roommate) and two litter boxes. If we don't scoop the litter boxes everyday they become inundated with feces. Inundated :froggonk:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

leftover posted:

I haven't been a cat owner very long, but we have three cats (a fourth one is in the house, but it lives mostly separate with our roommate) and two litter boxes. If we don't scoop the litter boxes everyday they become inundated with feces. Inundated :froggonk:

We had to do that when we had 3 cats. When we were down to 2 it was just one of them who was just filling the drat thing constantly.

Now that he's gone, the one small black cat can go for about a week before you can even tell she pooped in the box. I don't even know.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Chronic kidney cats certainly can have manageable disease for a long time!

In some CRF cats, phosphorous levels can change due to the kidney not doing its job right - pretty much always an increased level. Several things can be done, from phosphorous restricted kidney diets to adding a phosphorous binder on food that keeps them from absorbing phosphorous.

The other thing that could be off is any number of things.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.

My mom also mentioned that she received 2 doses of Frontline this month, one a few days before her bloodwork, so I wonder if that could be related even. My mom has been having a small flea problem and was reluctant to give any flea medication to her.

My mom also feeds her the same food she's been getting for something like 10 years, Precise with turkey or chicken. When she tried giving her a low protein food she wouldn't eat it, and as my mom puts it, "she enjoys eating" so she wasn't going to push it. I'm not sure how much that plays into it, but she said she's going to try to start mixing some low protein food into her old food.

In other news I think I'm going to adopt a cat for my place, soon. I'm so nervous :ohdear:. Pet care is stupidly cheap through my job (routine care is covered 100%) so I don't have to be concerned about that.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Shnooks posted:

She may very well still be fine. My elderly gentleman (18+) has been in renal failure for a couple of years and is still a happy boy. We even stopped giving him sub-q and anti vomming pills because they were actually making him stressed out and more sick. NOT THAT I WOULD ADVISE THAT. If your cat is happy on fluids and it's helping, do continue. It's just that it was plainly making the old man visibly unhappy and more ill.

If she still seems fine, keep on doing what you're doing.

My boy has been switched over the a partly raw food diet and has plenty of water bowls distributed around the house. We tried to give him the low protein stuff but he doesn't really eat it and started to lose more weight. He does still have some bikkies that are low protein.

Our new regime has made him more comfortable.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 10, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

She may very well still be fine. My elderly gentleman (18+) has been in renal failure for a couple of years and is still a happy boy. We even stopped giving him sub-q and anti vomming pills because they were actually making him stressed out and more sick. NOT THAT I WOULD ADVISE THAT. If your cat is happy on fluids and it's helping, do continue. It's just that it was plainly making the old man visibly unhappy and more ill.

If she still seems fine, keep on doing what you're doing.

My boy has been switched over the a partly raw food diet and has plenty of water bowls distributed around the house. We tried to give him the low protein stuff but he doesn't really eat it and started to lose more weight. He does still have some bikkies that are low protein.

Our new regime has made him more comfortable.

Okay, thanks :D I love hearing about all of these CRF kitties that are doing so well. She doesn't mind the fluids at all. I mean, I don't think she loves it but my mom always gives her turkey or chicken while she's doing it so now our cat just thinks, "OH DELICIOUS FOOD TIME".

I see plenty of end-stage renal failure cats where I work, but they're always knocking on death's door at that point.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ugh my catjerk Jackie keeps using my laptop when I'm either asleep or out of the apartment without my permission. I asked her not to, but that tactic has failed. I woke up this morning and she had someway disabled my visual adapter and deleted all the enduro settings for my sexy ATI 7970m card. Seriously, my sexy 1080p screen was stuck on 640x480 and the screen only had lovely VGA coloring. Considering this is a laptop that currently plays every new PC game on maxed out graphic settings, that was distressing. I had to systems restore it to a few days earlier because I didn't want to screw around for however figuring out how to manually fix everything she broke!

And yes, my catjerk managed to do this simply by walked repeatedly on the keyboard after I fell asleep with TNG playing on netflix last night. This has been a recurring problem but... Seriously, Jackie, just stop. PLEASE.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

kaworu posted:

Ugh my catjerk Jackie keeps using my laptop when I'm either asleep or out of the apartment without my permission. I asked her not to, but that tactic has failed. I woke up this morning and she had someway disabled my visual adapter and deleted all the enduro settings for my sexy ATI 7970m card. Seriously, my sexy 1080p screen was stuck on 640x480 and the screen only had lovely VGA coloring. Considering this is a laptop that currently plays every new PC game on maxed out graphic settings, that was distressing. I had to systems restore it to a few days earlier because I didn't want to screw around for however figuring out how to manually fix everything she broke!

And yes, my catjerk managed to do this simply by walked repeatedly on the keyboard after I fell asleep with TNG playing on netflix last night. This has been a recurring problem but... Seriously, Jackie, just stop. PLEASE.
Why don't you just close the laptop?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

kaworu posted:

I'm guessing she slept on it causing it to overheat and the graphics card shutdown itself down to prevent damage.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Help

I just switched to the Breeze litter system and I like it except for one thing: Toby has been using a covered litter box for the past 4 years (before which he mostly went outside) and at some point he forgot that squatting is step 1 in the peeing process. He stands normally and just pees straight behind him :downs: It's not spraying; definitely just peeing. He did it in the covered box too but it was less problematic for obvious reasons. Does anyone have an idea of how to cope with this besides cleaning up pee 2+ times a day? At least my bathroom floor AND walls are tiled.. :sigh:

He's neutered, has all his shots, healthy, etc. Just stupid. He's around 5 years old.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

creatine posted:

Why don't you just close the laptop?

I would, and I usually do now, but the thing is, I don't have a TV. Mostly by choice, because I watch enough "TV" on my computer anyway, and I find I get more done with only one screen to distract me instead of two. So I often leave my laptop open on my long bedside table (which is at the same height as my bed and flush up against one side of it) and watch TV/movies in bed when I'm unwinding to go to sleep at night. I sometimes am awake enough to close the laptop, but I still fall asleep with it running fairly often, which isn't USUALLY a big deal because it hibernates on its own after about an hour and a half. Unless my cat has something to do about it. :(

One thing is that I'm going to start closing it when I leave the apartment. I am going to start making a point of closing it when I leave, instead of just letting it be if it's asleep. Since I live alone, it's not like I'm particularly concerned with security.

Anyway, my cat's also just in a jerk-phase at the moment. She's normally very well-behaved and mellow, but she's been a bit of a terror this past week, just going where she knows she shouldn't be going, chewing on stuff she knows she shouldn't chew... It kind of sucks because I've never had to really cat-proof my apartment intensively because Jackie's always been so trustworthy and had great common-sense. You know, she doesn't chew power cords or knock precarious poo poo off tables and mantles, nor does she try and dig into food-bags or stuff... but she even got onto a top shelf somehow and stole a treat-bad, and managed to get it open and consume it's contents - maybe 20 or so treats. She's always been fat but she never did something like that.

So I'm currently half-heartedly doing more cat-proofing and hoping Jackie gets back to her normal self in terms of behavior. She's totally fine otherwise. I did schedule a vet appointment after the treat-bag incident, not only because of that and the other stuff but it's been about a year since she went in, and even though she's quite healthy and VERY much an indoor cat (and not particularly at risk for all the myriad kinds of diseases and conditions outdoor kitties are privy to) it still seems prudent.

My dad kept telling me how Jackie used to be his kid and this behavior isn't a big deal and I don't have to bring her in at all, but I sort of think that's a little irresponsible. Seems common sense to try and get the cat into the vet about once a year or so, right? Or am I wrong about that? I mean, she's MY cat and I love her dearly and would be utterly heartbroken if anything happened to her. Even if nothing is wrong it strikes me as good to have a preventative approach instead of waiting till the kitty is in obvious distress...

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
:gonk: My food dish is clearly empty. I'm starving!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Help

I just switched to the Breeze litter system and I like it except for one thing: Toby has been using a covered litter box for the past 4 years (before which he mostly went outside) and at some point he forgot that squatting is step 1 in the peeing process. He stands normally and just pees straight behind him :downs: It's not spraying; definitely just peeing. He did it in the covered box too but it was less problematic for obvious reasons. Does anyone have an idea of how to cope with this besides cleaning up pee 2+ times a day? At least my bathroom floor AND walls are tiled.. :sigh:

He's neutered, has all his shots, healthy, etc. Just stupid. He's around 5 years old.

Hrmm, I can't comment on fixing the cat to pee "correctly"; I think your best bet is some clever engineering in this case. You could probably rig up a closure you can place over/on top of the litter box. If it was just a privacy issue you could just use some cardboard, since he will be peeing on it you will need something with more durability. Have you considered placing the litter box in a large rubbermaid container? You could cut away an access wall and line the bottom with some extra litter? Something similar anyway.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Standing up and peeing straight backwards is how male cats mark things. (Ask me how I know. :cry: ) Assuming your cat isn't marking elsewhere, your best bet is to get a catbox with high sides, so when he pees straight backward he hits the litterbox walls. Somewhere up high in the thread they recommend one of those clear plastic Rubbermaid storage boxes, and leave the top off.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

:gonk: My food dish is clearly empty. I'm starving!

The best cat food is the 10% at the bottom of the bowl.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Today I took my 8 month old cat Basil to the vet - when I woke up he was lethargic, breathing irregularly and unsteady on his feet, and I hadn't seen him for about a day before that (normally he is around every night). Turns out he had hurt his leg, probably from a cat fight, but they couldn't find a wound anywhere. Gave me some antiobiotics and painkillers and I took him home where he chilled out like the high motherfucker he was:

I went to work, got back around 6, and fed him. About an hour later he wandered out and has been gone since. It's been raining out all night and I'm pretty broken up about the whole thing. My kitty :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Mutato posted:

I went to work, got back around 6, and fed him. About an hour later he wandered out and has been gone since. It's been raining out all night and I'm pretty broken up about the whole thing. My kitty :(

Solution: Drown your sorrow in your cats' painkillers. He probably won't mind if you take a couple to get high!

Really though, I hope your kitty makes it home and is ok! Hopefully he's just stuck somewhere taking shelter from the rain and will come stumbling home when he gets hungry enough; cats tend to be reliable like that. I would try to keep him in for a few weeks if possible when he gets back so he can, like, recover from whatever is ailing him.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Thanks, you're probably right. Why would he go out in the state he was in though? His mood has been kind of odd the last few weeks as well, distant and lethargic in general compared to how he normally is.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

kaworu posted:

I would, and I usually do now, but the thing is, I don't have a TV. Mostly by choice, because I watch enough "TV" on my computer anyway, and I find I get more done with only one screen to distract me instead of two. So I often leave my laptop open on my long bedside table (which is at the same height as my bed and flush up against one side of it) and watch TV/movies in bed when I'm unwinding to go to sleep at night. I sometimes am awake enough to close the laptop, but I still fall asleep with it running fairly often, which isn't USUALLY a big deal because it hibernates on its own after about an hour and a half. Unless my cat has something to do about it. :(

One thing is that I'm going to start closing it when I leave the apartment. I am going to start making a point of closing it when I leave, instead of just letting it be if it's asleep. Since I live alone, it's not like I'm particularly concerned with security.

There are programs you can download that detect when it's the cat on the keyboard and prevent those keystrokes from going through. I don't know of any offhand and I haven't used any of them but you can google it. They might cost money, though.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Goodpancakes posted:

Hrmm, I can't comment on fixing the cat to pee "correctly"; I think your best bet is some clever engineering in this case. You could probably rig up a closure you can place over/on top of the litter box. If it was just a privacy issue you could just use some cardboard, since he will be peeing on it you will need something with more durability. Have you considered placing the litter box in a large rubbermaid container? You could cut away an access wall and line the bottom with some extra litter? Something similar anyway.

I've thought about putting it in a plastic box, yeah, but at the moment it's honestly easier to just clean it up off the floor than to have a big box to wash. I was considering putting puppy pads around it until he figures it out (if he does- it's actually only been two days). I guess I could put litter in the box around it but (a) the point of the Breeze is to not deal with litter, and (b) my other cat Luna is bitchy about litterbox access and would probably pee on the ground rather than jump in :rolleyes: If I cut an access hole Toby would probably still manage to pee out of it 33% of the time or so.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Standing up and peeing straight backwards is how male cats mark things. (Ask me how I know. :cry: ) Assuming your cat isn't marking elsewhere, your best bet is to get a catbox with high sides, so when he pees straight backward he hits the litterbox walls. Somewhere up high in the thread they recommend one of those clear plastic Rubbermaid storage boxes, and leave the top off.

His stance is different. I know cats and I know what that looks like. He's definitely not marking anywhere else and I saw him doing it in the old litterbox too. He's just an idiot. I was hoping maybe someone had had a similar transition from covered to uncovered and could comment. :sigh:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'd like to make clear before I post this that I'm not seeking Veterinary advice. I've read all the rules, and gone through the opening posts just to make sure I didn't miss anything too.

I guess I'm just here because it's 8:30 PM on a Wednesday, and I need cat people who understand to tell me something or other. My boy here will be headed to the vet soon, but in the meantime I'm going to be out of my gourd worried about him.

This is Kyle, seen chillin' in the manner of some villain:

cellphone pic thumbnailed for your sanity

We're uncertain just how old he is, as he was a full-grown cat upon our shelter rescue some 17 years ago (nearly 18). We estimate he's about 20 human years old, making him officially older than dirt. Hell, some of the people I work with are younger than this guy. I refer to him as Lazarus, my father always preferred Methusela.

Cute anecdotes aside, recent observations are leading me to believe that his kidney functions are beginning to decline. He's at the water dish constantly, he's thinner than almost any of the time we've had him, I'm starting to see ulcers form around his mouth, and his breath is beginning to smell a bit like urine.

As I said, I'm taking him to the vet soon, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm posting here to ask. I guess I just want to know what I should be doing to keep him comfortable in case my suspicions are correct. I know that once kidneys go, that's pretty much it since kitty-dialysis would be beyond my means, and would certainly not be a way any cat would want to live. I'm feeling quite emotional even just suspecting what may be coming, so I apologize if this turns out to be a bunch of nonsense posting. Got him when I was 11, and I feel like I'm 11 all over again at the thought of losing him. :cry:

If anyone has any advice for me of any kind (beyond go to the Vet, because we will), I would really appreciate it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Chronic kidney disease in cats isn't a death sentence - I'd say most are managed without a dialysis machines (though there are some people who do that, though it's usually for acute kidney cases). Instead the "normal" treatments for chronic kidney cats involve administering fluids under the skin daily/every other day (at home or by the vet), special diet, sometimes phosphorous binders, oral pain meds (depending on the state of the mouth), and anti-nausea meds. It all depends on how your vet assesses your cat's overall state and what is necessary. There are some cats where these treatments don't do much, but it is fairly common to see cats living 1-3 years after their diagnosis of moderate to severe chronic kidney disease.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
To add onto what HelloSailorSign said, if you do end up having to give Kyle fluids, its stupidly easy and actually very inexpensive. My mother is 58 years old and frightened of most major medical procedures but has been managing to give our cat Nora fluids for almost two years now every other day. She can't really go on long trips and does have to remember to get home in time to give her fluids, but the cat and her are both old and we all care dearly for Nora. I believe she spends about $50 a month on fluids, needles and pills, and a bag of fluid is only like $25 or so. The antinausea medication they'll most likely give you is Pepcid, and I think we get ours over the counter now even.

Ultimately its only a minor inconvenience for us but we would do anything for her. She wasn't in pain at the time of diagnosis and her quality of life has sky-rocketed since we started fluids. She's about 17 and I hope she lives another 5 years.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
That's pretty heartening actually. We consider his time with us pretty special considering how old he is. He's lived through a few infections and a seizure resulting from dehydration during one of them, and outlasted two other pets. He's had low kidney function for a few years now, but noticing the signs of a further decline is a bit scary. Hopefully the diagnosis is good and we can improve things for him without much stress for any of us.

I did the math, and he's quite possibly the equivalent of nearly 100 human years old at this point. I haven't looked up record cat ages, but I'm certain he's an outlier at this age.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
One of my cats (not sure which) is weeing JUST outside the litter box on the floor. It only ever happens when I'm not at home.

What could be causing that? If it's Hat, he had his urine checked recently and was fine - why would it only be when I'm out? And why literally a foot away from the litter tray instead of anywhere else in the house?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

marshmallard posted:

One of my cats (not sure which) is weeing JUST outside the litter box on the floor. It only ever happens when I'm not at home.

What could be causing that? If it's Hat, he had his urine checked recently and was fine - why would it only be when I'm out? And why literally a foot away from the litter tray instead of anywhere else in the house?
Box stink at all? You try a full litter change yet? You clean up the mess with an enzymatic cleaner?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

duckfarts posted:

Box stink at all? You try a full litter change yet? You clean up the mess with an enzymatic cleaner?

For some reason I hear this post in the voice of Mr. Washee Washee from Family Guy.

You might be right on the state of the box actually, because when I'm out, my flatmate doesn't clean it because she's annoying like that. So I guess the cats are protesting.

Yes on the enzymatic cleaner though.

They're getting a litter robot next month and I'm moving out, so hopefully that'll be the end of it.

I'll try a full litter change and see what happens. Thanks!

Edit: Grumples has just thrown up. Maybe he IS ill.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 11, 2012

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kerfuffle posted:

Your vet is a huge rear end in a top hat if his only reason for even suggesting that was "he is old".

Is there something about the Vet profession that just attracts assholes?

I lost a cat a couple of years ago. The guy was almost sociopathic about the whole thing and then the office sent me a card two months later for 25% off a checkup on my cat. My dead cat. That died in their office.

How do you guys find a vet that isn't a huge prick/profiteering, cackling med school washout? I'd like to take one of my cats into a vet for a teeth cleaning but my last six vet offices tried to upsell me treatments my cats didn't need and manhandled them. I had one vet charge me for for 300 dollars in tests she didn't need (just as a checkup, there was nothing that actually gave them reason to think she needed the testing done) and sedated her so badly she was lethargic for three days afterwards. gently caress, I am mistrusting everybody with a labcoat and a dog at this point.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 11, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mirthless posted:

I lost a cat a couple of years ago. The guy was almost sociopathic about the whole thing and then the office sent me a card two months later for 25% off a checkup on my cat. My dead cat. That died in their office.

How do you guys find a vet that isn't a huge prick/profiteering, cackling med school washout? I'd like to take one of my cats into a vet for a teeth cleaning but my last six vet offices tried to upsell me treatments my cats didn't need and manhandled them. I had one vet charge me for for 300 dollars in tests she didn't need (just as a checkup, there was nothing that actually gave them reason to think she needed the testing done) and sedated her so badly she was lethargic for three days afterwards. gently caress, I am mistrusting everybody with a labcoat and a dog at this point.

If it makes you slightly feel better, notices like that are mass stamped and sent out without much notice of who it's to and they probably don't update the list super frequently. :(

Thing is A LOT of vets are seriously great people who love what they do. PI had a thread some time ago about nice things their vets had done. Tons of stories about vets sending cards and their sympathies about them losing pets and just being generally caring and awesome.

What you can try is looking up vet's offices in yelp as somewhere to start. Also try asking friends and coworkers about their vets.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Mirthless posted:

How do you guys find a vet that isn't a huge prick/profiteering, cackling med school washout?
The worst vet I've found around here was simply cold, not an rear end or anything. She just had little to no personality so I found someone else. When I looked her up later it turns out that I wasn't the only one who found her that way.

My current vet is awesome, found him via yelp. Still had some negative reviews, mostly to do with billing stuff, and I'm still mindful of those. He's been very forthcoming with any charges that could arise every time I've been there, though, so I'm not overly worried. Oh, and my cats like him too (though they like everyone because they're dumb.)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mirthless posted:

Holy heck, sounds like you've had some bad run ins with vets, but saying that the veterinary profession attracts assholes, and insinuating that vets that aren't a "huge prick/profiteering, cackling med school washout" are hard to find is downright offensive and hurtful to those of us who do our jobs for the well being of the animals.

Don't get me wrong, there are unscrupulous vets out there, but drat does that statement make me mad. Every profession has their bad eggs. Don't lump us all into that.

However, to be constructive...

The best way to find a good vet is two fold in my mind.

First, (in general) don't bargain hunt - cheaper vets cut corners somehow, and they are okay with that either because they're stuck in old ways of doing things or because they've rationalized cutting care. Always ask to know what you're getting. The difference between a $100 dental and a $500 dental? Maybe the $500 has dental x-rays, intubation, IV fluids and catheter, scaling, polishing, probing, and charting done by the head vet tech/vet, while the $100 has a vet assistant scaling/polishing and that's it.

Second, take recommendations from friends, those can work well. However, you can think someone is the greatest in the world when they're actually practicing sub-standard care/medicine simply because they sell it to you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, you know, after getting kicked out of med school for not being able to pass orientation for the third time in a row, I was just like "gently caress it, I'm going to vet school so I can finally make some bank by ripping off God fearing Americans with unnecessary tests and I can be the sociopath rear end in a top hat I was meant to be."

Serious answer: There's no such thing as "just a teeth cleaning." Yelp ratings are dumb - any rear end in a top hat can write a bad review, often unsubstantiated, and Yelp and the VPCR don't allow the vets to really be able to defend themselves. Follow HelloSailorSign's constructive advice. Also, you kinda have a terrible attitude and I can't imagine that coming off well to anyone you speak to at a vet's office - the day is too long and the pay too bad to deal with D level clients.

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 11, 2012