Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
It's really hard to find a guide for this on Google. Honest, I tried.

I just bought a rMBP and want to do a bootcamp install. I don't want to shell out money for an external DVD drive just to do this one thing.

I have a few external USB hard drives, but no USB flash drives.

I see a few guides out there for loading a Windows 7 .iso off of a USB flash drive, but nothing about loading one off of a USB external hard drive.

So, can I just throw a Windows 7 .iso on my (FAT) external drive and Bootcamp it? I want to be prepared before I begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You'll have to follow the steps to make it bootable, but I don't think there should be a distinction between a USB flash drive and a USB hard drive.

If it doesn't work, 8GB flash drives are something like $5 now.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Just buy a drive. The Boot Camp utility appears to have support for putting Windows ISOs onto a USB drive.

pfdotn
Jan 12, 2011

I'm thinking about picking up one of those Elgato Thunderbolt SSDs to throw Windows (via Bootcamp) onto it.

It seems that a few people have had luck installing Windows onto it (since it seems to be detected as an 'internal' drive) but they're a bit light on the evidence and doco when it comes to actually performing the installation.

Has anybody else given it a go? Is it substantially different to installing Windows via Bootcamp normally? Do I need to sacrifice any space on the internal drive for a Window boot partition?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm trying to move a load of data from an old external drive to a new one. Sadly, copying often stops with only some very unhelpful error messages. Is there an app that keeps a list of successfully copied files so that I can check from where exactly I need to recopy? Google only pops up a few apps that I can't get to work on Mountain Lion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jolan posted:

I'm trying to move a load of data from an old external drive to a new one. Sadly, copying often stops with only some very unhelpful error messages. Is there an app that keeps a list of successfully copied files so that I can check from where exactly I need to recopy? Google only pops up a few apps that I can't get to work on Mountain Lion.

Use something like rsync. You can set it to only copy stuff that isn't there (or isn't a current version).

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/using_rsync_keep_your_files_sync_0

There's probably an app that does the same thing, but I don't know of any.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Use something like rsync. You can set it to only copy stuff that isn't there (or isn't a current version).

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/using_rsync_keep_your_files_sync_0

There's probably an app that does the same thing, but I don't know of any.

I'm not a big fan of trying to figure out Terminal, but it reminded me that I still have a Synk-licence from my last job. That should more or less do what I want. Thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jolan posted:

I'm not a big fan of trying to figure out Terminal, but it reminded me that I still have a Synk-licence from my last job. That should more or less do what I want. Thanks!

Arrsync is a pretty good free Mac GUI for rsync, despite its pirate theme.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

eddiewalker posted:

Arrsync is a pretty good free Mac GUI for rsync, despite its pirate theme.

“Despite”? Pff… because of its name. :pirate:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crazysim posted:

Just buy a drive. The Boot Camp utility appears to have support for putting Windows ISOs onto a USB drive.

Yep, bone simple. The hardest part of using Boot Camp is Windows throwing an error at disk preparation and making you pick your partition manually. Basically a "are you awake" test.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Alright, so I made a post a few weeks back about my Time Machine drive having two partitions, and it turns out that the other partition is called "Boot OS X" and for some reason it's started showing up. Googling the problem indicates that I might have to reformat the drive, and I really don't want to do that. Has anyone else had this issue?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
What's a good utility to prevent my work MBP from going to sleep when I close the lid(OS X Lion 10.7)?
My job requires me to walk between two different buildings 20+ times a day and every time I close the lid I lose internet connection, which kills all my ssh and Screen Share sessions.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

zalmoxes posted:

What's a good utility to prevent my work MBP from going to sleep when I close the lid(OS X Lion 10.7)?
My job requires me to walk between two different buildings 20+ times a day and every time I close the lid I lose internet connection, which kills all my ssh and Screen Share sessions.

InsomniaX sounds like it should do the trick.

http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

You Am I posted:

Screw using multiple monitors, just use virtual desktops

What? It's totally not the same thing.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend an app that generates a checksum of a whole drive? I see there are a couple of apps for calculating the checksums of individual files in the App Store, but none which will do the entire drive.

I'm not really fussed about the algorithm used. MD5 or SHA-1 should be fine.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

moron posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that generates a checksum of a whole drive? I see there are a couple of apps for calculating the checksums of individual files in the App Store, but none which will do the entire drive.

I'm not really fussed about the algorithm used. MD5 or SHA-1 should be fine.

Unless you archived your drive in a zip file it wouldn't work and what's the point?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How is Sequel Pro? I use SQL Server Management Studio at work and would like to do some personal databasing on my Mac. It seems to be the leading 'alternative' from a few minutes of Googling.

Or should I look into a different language and IDE/manager?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abel Wingnut posted:

How is Sequel Pro? I use SQL Server Management Studio at work and would like to do some personal databasing on my Mac. It seems to be the leading 'alternative' from a few minutes of Googling.

I use MySQL workbench

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

zalmoxes posted:

Unless you archived your drive in a zip file it wouldn't work and what's the point?

I'm moving abroad at some point over the next few months, and I'm planning on how to ship my data abroad with me. I currently have all my data on a RAIDZ2 array which gives me a degree of safety, but I'm still a bit worried about ensuring that my data reaches my destination in tact. My plan was the copy as much data as possible onto a 3tb USB HDD, calculate the checksum, send it to my friend in my new country, and ask him to check the integrity of the data. Once I know I have a good backup copy of my data at my destination, I start shipping the drives from my NAS.

Or is there better way to verify the integrity of a drive? Am I overthinking this?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
This is a long shot, but here goes: I recently discovered the Janus package for MacVIM which installs a bunch of intelligent defaults and plugins for MacVIM. I absolutely love it.

However, one of the plugins, Command-T (adds TextMate file search behaviour to MacVIM) is behaving oddly. When it works, it works great. However, sometimes it fails to find files that are under the root of the project I'm in (opened by running `mvim .`). There seems to be no logic behind which files do or don't show up - file A and B might be in the same directory, but only one of them is findable via Command-T.

Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was that nifty shortcut to open a finder window from the "open file" dialog? I can't really find it with google. The terms are too general.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

What was that nifty shortcut to open a finder window from the "open file" dialog? I can't really find it with google. The terms are too general.

Apple-R

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I use MySQL workbench

I'll check this out--thanks.

Also, is there a consensus on the best Twitter client? I don't need it to do much, but profile editing and replying with the previous message would be tops.

e: Free's nice, but I don't mind shelling out the cash if it's worth it.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 14, 2012

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Abel Wingnut posted:

Also, is there a consensus on the best Twitter client? I don't need it to do much, but profile editing and replying with the previous message would be tops.

e: Free's nice, but I don't mind shelling out the cash if it's worth it.

Wait until Tweetbot is out. It was submitted to the App Store recently so hopefully it'll be available within the next month.

For the time being, just use the official Twitter app. It's good enough.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

Lexicon posted:

This is a long shot, but here goes: I recently discovered the Janus package for MacVIM which installs a bunch of intelligent defaults and plugins for MacVIM. I absolutely love it.

However, one of the plugins, Command-T (adds TextMate file search behaviour to MacVIM) is behaving oddly. When it works, it works great. However, sometimes it fails to find files that are under the root of the project I'm in (opened by running `mvim .`). There seems to be no logic behind which files do or don't show up - file A and B might be in the same directory, but only one of them is findable via Command-T.

Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it?

I would suggest using ctrlp instead https://github.com/kien/ctrlp.vim

It's done fully in vimscript and in my experience is faster and more stable than Command-T. Since it's done in vimscript it can be easily added to version control or a plugins manager like pathogen, and if you start using multiple rubies via rb-env/rvm you won't run into funky linking/dynamic-library errors since Command-T requires building a ruby C-extension.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Abel Wingnut posted:

I use it at work to manage some databases. It works well and has some nice features. Overall, unless you have serious database management needs, it's everything you'll need. Plus it's Open Source.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Anveo posted:

I would suggest using ctrlp instead https://github.com/kien/ctrlp.vim

It's done fully in vimscript and in my experience is faster and more stable than Command-T. Since it's done in vimscript it can be easily added to version control or a plugins manager like pathogen, and if you start using multiple rubies via rb-env/rvm you won't run into funky linking/dynamic-library errors since Command-T requires building a ruby C-extension.
I tend to like CtrlP as well, but Command-T always seemed faster to me.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It turns out I was actually using CtrlP, not Command-T. Janus installs the former, but includes the key mapping command+T to active CtrlP.

Anyway, I solved my issue. I think I was hitting the default file limit of 10,000. By removing the limit (let g:ctrlp_max_files = 0), I seem to be able to find everything now, and with no performance problems yet.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Is there any way to natively get consistent screen shots? If not, is there software out there that's worth getting? To be more specific, I've got a serious of music score files and I want some kind of mechanical way of always getting the same size or placement of my screenshots from various parts of the file. I can eyeball it but it would be way better to have some way of getting a consistency. Any ideas?

I'm on a circa 2009 MacBook with Leopard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure if this goes all the way back to Leopard, but you can try the "screencapture" command in terminal. It takes a bunch of options (--help for a list), among which are options to capture a specific rectangle using on-screen dimensions.

There might be an automator script for that, but honestly I don't know much automator so I can't be sure.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

CombatMedic posted:

It's really hard to find a guide for this on Google. Honest, I tried.

I just bought a rMBP and want to do a bootcamp install. I don't want to shell out money for an external DVD drive just to do this one thing.

I see a few guides out there for loading a Windows 7 .iso off of a USB flash drive, but nothing about loading one off of a USB external hard drive.

So, can I just throw a Windows 7 .iso on my (FAT) external drive and Bootcamp it? I want to be prepared before I begin.

Make sure what you're using is a USB 2.0 drive. Windows 7 does not have drivers for USB 3.0 baked in, so you'll have to use Win 8 (and optionally downgrade to win7 later).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with creating a Recovery Volume on a Mac that doesn't have a recovery volume on it?

There are plenty of guides for it on the net, but just wondering if someone here has done this before.

Baraqyal
Jan 1, 2009

Syjefroi posted:

Is there any way to natively get consistent screen shots? If not, is there software out there that's worth getting? To be more specific, I've got a serious of music score files and I want some kind of mechanical way of always getting the same size or placement of my screenshots from various parts of the file. I can eyeball it but it would be way better to have some way of getting a consistency. Any ideas?

I'm on a circa 2009 MacBook with Leopard.

If regular screenshots will do the trick, have a look at - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11229

Should work with Leopard.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CombatMedic posted:

I'm sure this has been answered, but my suggestion go buy a 8 usb drive from Bestbuy/Microcenter and do your install. Shouldn't cost more than 30 bucks if you really don't want to spend the money you could return it but they are useful to have around to do this kind of install.

Once you go down the path of bootcamp/multiple OSs you'll probably re install at least once in the next year anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get a 64gig USB flash drive for $30

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm really new to OSX so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, is there a way to hide an app's dock icon? Or maybe move them to the top bar. The dock gets kinda crowded once I launch the 3G modem software, tweetdeck, etc.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

gmq posted:

I'm really new to OSX so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, is there a way to hide an app's dock icon? Or maybe move them to the top bar. The dock gets kinda crowded once I launch the 3G modem software, tweetdeck, etc.

Only if the app supports it, you'll have to change it in the app.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Some apps have the option in their preferences, otherwise there's some relatively high end terminal commands you can run to hide the dock icon, but there's nothing simple or default no.

You might try shrinking the default size of the dock, or maybe just moving all your "always on" junk apps to the end.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Is it possible to block pre-roll video ads on Safari 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.
Would like an app recommendation if anyone has a moment.

Something like Shave Video that also supports trimming/lifting from avi and mkv. Transcoding support optional.

What I love about this Shave app is how dead-simple it is; you trim clips and maybe convert them. No filters or timelines or whatever.

Thanks!