Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

So...it's been a while, but I just thought I'd ask. Anyone work at or know any developers in Los Angeles that are currently looking for testers?

Curious about this myself (LA area), although there's not really any way to go about this without professional experience than just sending out resumes in every direction that mentions QA Testing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Curious about this myself (LA area), although there's not really any way to go about this without professional experience than just sending out resumes in every direction that mentions QA Testing?

Qa is an unskilled labor task - there aren't headhunters or recruiters for QA, there is no secret path. If you have a friend on the inside you an get in much more easily since, like dish washing, the primary attribute they are looking for is "not a horrible person."

Other than that, it is numbers and luck. In LA there are plenty of people looking for QA jobs so you either need to network or get lucky.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I wouldn't say QA is unskilled labor - the difference between raw QA and experienced QA is night and day in terms of clarity and productivity. It's definitely not topping the charts as far as creativity is concerned, but I think it's a little uncharitable to call it unskilled when there's such a marked difference between good and bad.

That said, Sigma's advice is spot on as far as actually getting the job: be willing to work the hours; be able to write in a clear, grammatically correct, and consistent fashion; be stubborn enough to power through monotony, and know someone who's doing hiring.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

wodin posted:

I wouldn't say QA is unskilled labor - the difference between raw QA and experienced QA is night and day in terms of clarity and productivity. It's definitely not topping the charts as far as creativity is concerned, but I think it's a little uncharitable to call it unskilled when there's such a marked difference between good and bad.

That said, Sigma's advice is spot on as far as actually getting the job: be willing to work the hours; be able to write in a clear, grammatically correct, and consistent fashion; be stubborn enough to power through monotony, and know someone who's doing hiring.
Yes, there is a certain level of creativity needed in QA; most people seem to think it's merely sitting there and being lucky enough to find a bug, but it's more than that. You've got to actively think of the stupidest, most out of the way, or possibly the most obvious things to make something happen. Sadly management, developers, and the like don't see it that way (which is sadly why I lost my QA position of seven years to newly hired people who could barely operate computers) and it seems to be a largely misunderstood job. But as wodin pointed out, the hours are awful (70 hour weeks of mindlessly sitting and waiting are not uncommon), the pay is usually bad (due mostly to the fact that you will be a temporary worker without any real benefits and be ready to be laid off after seven or eight months), and you will be forced to play the same game for 10 hours a day for a eight-twelve month period. Thankfully if you are in the LA area that's where both Activision and EA are, and they are usually apt to hire pretty much anyone that can stay conscious, form a proper sentence, and bear with the poo poo. And it's not even usually a case of knowing someone; just check their websites and keep in mind the times when games are normally in development, cause that's when they'll need bodies in seats.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Revitalized posted:

If you're interested, 2K in Northridge is pretty much ALWAYS hiring, and I'm pretty sure I saw a posting from them a few days ago. I'd apply myself but the shifts they're offering loving suck.

I should probably point out that I've been doing QA in one form or another with several video game companies for about 8 years now.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

If you're interested, 2K in Northridge is pretty much ALWAYS hiring, and I'm pretty sure I saw a posting from them a few days ago. I'd apply myself but the shifts they're offering loving suck.

I should probably point out that I've been doing QA in one form or another with several video game companies for about 8 years now.

I've noticed that actually. They even post listings on craigslist every 1 or 2 months. I've sent them an email a few times over the last 6 or 7 months already with no response.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Revitalized posted:

I've noticed that actually. They even post listings on craigslist every 1 or 2 months. I've sent them an email a few times over the last 6 or 7 months already with no response.

Do you email in asking if there are any positions going, or do you just email in your CV and covering letter? I would do the latter.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gearman posted:

Cab fare from Bellevue to Boston is probably a bit more than $20.

As for decent hotels that might still have rooms (Westin was booked within the hour):

- Renaissance (walking distance, ~300/night)
- Seaport Boston (right across from the Ren, ~200/night)
- Intercontinental Boston (right over the bridge, ~170/night)
- Boston harbor Hotel (right across from Intercontinental, ~300/night)

After that you're looking at cab/bus rides to and from and it's pretty much a tossup. Cheapest option is probably the Omni Parker, in the ballpark of $180 a night.

:stare: I completely saw that he said East, and completely ignored it.

For Boston, I'd recommend the Ren. If you don't mind commuting in town a bit, the Colonnade (I think it's just off Boylston Street near the other convention center) is great, has nice deals, and the seafood restaurant is out of this world.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Mr Interweb posted:

So...it's been a while, but I just thought I'd ask. Anyone work at or know any developers in Los Angeles that are currently looking for testers?

Congrats! What role did you play on the game, if you don't mind me asking?

I am a level designer, I worked on the Distillery District Both visits to Dunwall Distillery, Galvani, Art Dealer, Clavering Blvd, Granny Rags, etc. area and the sewer part of the tutorial.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

wodin posted:

You can be good at QA or bad at QA - the unskilled labor term refers to a hiring skill set. Programming and welding are skilled labor positions - they require prior training/education. QA and waiting tables are unskilled labor because you are hiring someone to train up.

I've worked with good and bad QA and can recognize the difference, but no one goes to school for QA and there isn't a certification for QA Wizard.

It is a necessary role in the development process but it is not one that has a prerequisite skillset.

I personally don't understand the attraction of QA - if you want to do monotonous poo poo work with an abundance of overtime call centers pay way more. It is closer to game development than GameStop Employee but it isn't a necessary or reasonable first step into development.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Sigma-X posted:

You can be good at QA or bad at QA - the unskilled labor term refers to a hiring skill set. Programming and welding are skilled labor positions - they require prior training/education. QA and waiting tables are unskilled labor because you are hiring someone to train up.

I've worked with good and bad QA and can recognize the difference, but no one goes to school for QA and there isn't a certification for QA Wizard.

It is a necessary role in the development process but it is not one that has a prerequisite skillset.

I personally don't understand the attraction of QA - if you want to do monotonous poo poo work with an abundance of overtime call centers pay way more. It is closer to game development than GameStop Employee but it isn't a necessary or reasonable first step into development.

I disagree with the "step into development" I think QA is a great way to get some experience and meet people in the industry. That said, it really depends what you want to do in games, and where you do QA. Not all QA positions are equally useful.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I booked a room at the Omni Parker for all of PAX East. Might pick up a roommate, not sure yet.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Any other indies in iOS space, the Polymer dev just released a lot of numbers and useful words.

Watching his release back when it came out, I'd call it an example of being well-handled though relatively quiet. It didn't exactly explode across all the news sites, even if it got good average coverage. As such, for once, his numbers are an example of "relatively solid release" instead of "what happens when Kotaku posts about you and Notch tweets about your game all day."

... or at least, that was my take. Maybe it got a massive mention somewhere I didn't notice. His press page holds with what I saw, though.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I might not be able to go to GDC again this year since I am only just stating out this job, so I thought about PAX East as a cheaper alternative to just go out and meet people, but these tickets look like they are going fast; so I guess I would need to make a decision soon :ohdear:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

I personally don't understand the attraction of QA - if you want to do monotonous poo poo work with an abundance of overtime call centers pay way more.

As someone who also worked in call centers, the slightly higher pay isn't worth being yelled at by 99% of everyone calling you every day.

I've worked at some fairly lovely developers (in terms of corporate culture, not game quality, though some times they overlapped) and the worst among them couldn't compare to the BEST times I've had at a call center. Better to be yelled at once every couple of days than every five minutes. :P

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
ZNGA closes at $2.43 today. The cash on hand and assets are worth $2.46.

Wall street effectively values ZNGA's core business as worth $-0.03.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-zynga-stock-plummets-20121005,0,5240403.story?twitter

Raise your hand if you were short ZNGA since the beginning of April. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

As someone who also worked in call centers, the slightly higher pay isn't worth being yelled at by 99% of everyone calling you every day.

I've worked at some fairly lovely developers (in terms of corporate culture, not game quality, though some times they overlapped) and the worst among them couldn't compare to the BEST times I've had at a call center. Better to be yelled at once every couple of days than every five minutes. :P
I can second this. Call centers are hell, and that period of my life is kind of a black void, where memories dare not dwell.

By contrast, the QA dudes at my old office were always joking around, played board games during lunch, and always had donuts or similar in easy reach.

I don't think people always take the job for the right reasons - "I WANT TO MAKE GAMES! (but have no actual skills so I'll schmooze my way in this way)" - but as a job, it's not bad at all. Certainly better than many.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

:stare: I completely saw that he said East, and completely ignored it.

For Boston, I'd recommend the Ren. If you don't mind commuting in town a bit, the Colonnade (I think it's just off Boylston Street near the other convention center) is great, has nice deals, and the seafood restaurant is out of this world.

Great suggestion. Colonnade is an excellent place. Doesn't look like much from the outside but it's really nice inside. Same ballpark as the places closest to the BCEC for price (mid 200's - 300 per night) but one of the nicest of the bunch (and much nicer than the Omni Parker and with bigger rooms).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So the past couple days at work, our senior producer has several times a day caused all work to stop by doing trivia by email to win copies of Dishonored/XCom. Yesterday we had a question where we had to find the largest value of X that solved:

39! % 3X==0

Today, one of them was to guess what was the make and model of the car he was thinking of. I don't think anyone won that event.

Also, story time with senior engineers is my favorite part of work. These guy has been making games longer than I have been alive, and they have so many great stories.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2012

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

concerned mom posted:

Do you email in asking if there are any positions going, or do you just email in your CV and covering letter? I would do the latter.

The latter. I usually end up sending emails because I see a calling for an open position, either listed on the company site or elsewhere (gamasutra, craigslist, etc)

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
So, with QA stuff, it's actually really interesting to me to hear everyone say that QA is just a monkey with a typewriter sort of monotonous job. Is it really like that in most studios?

For those of you looking to get into QA, Riot is hiring pretty aggressively: QA Listings. Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions or what have you (it's in my profile)

Damiya fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 12, 2012

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just quit my job as a Character Artist at Trion. Feels amazing. Time to take a couple weeks off, do some personal art, and then drive back to Boston to start doing freelance. Can't wait.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow how come, what's the story? Your stuff is great.

Do you have freelance work lined up then?

Good luck!

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Catagorical posted:

So, with QA stuff, it's actually really interesting to me to hear everyone say that QA is just a monkey with a typewriter sort of monotonous job. Is it really like that in most studios?

Yes.
Most QA jobs are for playtesting and most of those are at publishers and QA mills.
QA positions with any involvement with code is rare, in games at least.
Hell positions where balance, fun, game flow, and the user experience are the main target rather than functionality bugs is pretty rare too.

Glad you're happy with QA, but it's really not for most folks and chances are they'd get an unfulfilling position playtesting rather than a job where they feel they can make any sort of meaningful difference, doubly so because you really need to be in a development studio for that to even have a chance of that happening.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Juc66 posted:

Glad you're happy with QA, but it's really not for most folks and chances are they'd get an unfulfilling position playtesting rather than a job where they feel they can make any sort of meaningful difference, doubly so because you really need to be in a development studio for that to even have a chance of that happening.

Yea, I talked with a friend of mine and he clarified that a lot of the QA jobs are more for publishers than studios, and the publisher stuff tends to be a lot more functionality focused.

Good thing to learn. Thanks for the info :)

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

This makes me giggle every time I get coffee.

We used to have a flowchart with a dude getting mauled by a tiger for not filling the coffee, but that dissappeared.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
One of our coffee machines is a huge insta-espresso thing that grinds up the grain and all. The thing is, the refill compartment is locked by key. So we can't even refill it ourselves. :downs:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
our coffee machine is also a coder so we save money

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

concerned mom posted:

Oh wow how come, what's the story? Your stuff is great.

Do you have freelance work lined up then?

Good luck!

Let's just say I didn't like the direction Trion has been heading the past year (basically since I started) and the only reason I couldn't leave was because if I left before 1 year I would've had to pay back my relocation (which considering how much I was being paid was pretty difficult).

Also, there was one specific Supervisor who had it out for me since the day I started, and who treats a lot of people like poo poo. I don't tolerate that poo poo, so I bounced. To give you an idea of what he did to me, imagine being pulled into an office 6 months into your job after working your rear end off 40-60 hours a week and being told "You haven't accomplished anything here yet".

I've worked various painful non-games related jobs since I was 14 (25 years old now) and this is the first time I've ever been treated with such disrespect.

And yup, I have freelance already lined up for November. I'm a drat hard worker and I'd like to think my stuff is pretty decent on a professional level, so to be treated like that was a load of poo poo. I'm excited for my future and this is just the beginning of my career, nothing is going to stop me from becoming the best Character Artist I want to be.

I imagine talking about this poo poo in public is a sensitive topic but I frankly could give 2 shits. People need to stop tippy toeing around the games industry and speak up when employees aren't being treated right. Unfortunately a few of my coworkers are in a similar position but have much more to lose than I do by leaving (ie: visas, financial stability, etc)

ceebee fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

We used to have a flowchart with a dude getting mauled by a tiger for not filling the coffee, but that dissappeared.

B-- but... but that screengrab is from the wolf movie... :(

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mutata posted:

B-- but... but that screengrab is from the wolf movie... :(

I know, I should write that down.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

ceebee posted:

I imagine talking about this poo poo in public is a sensitive topic but I frankly could give 2 shits. People need to stop tippy toeing around the games industry and speak up when employees aren't being treated right. Unfortunately a few of my coworkers are in a similar position but have much more to lose than I do by leaving (ie: visas, financial stability, etc)

Respect.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Jan posted:

One of our coffee machines is a huge insta-espresso thing that grinds up the grain and all. The thing is, the refill compartment is locked by key. So we can't even refill it ourselves. :downs:

That sucks :(

The few coffee-only machines we have are kept topped up and the rest of the drink dispensers are these crazy machines that you put disks into (like latte or cappucino or hot chocolate or tea or espresso) and mix and match poo poo. Hot chocolate + 2 espresso = Double Mocha. It's the most magical thing ever.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Maybe I should have that in our kitchen. There is always that one person. That ONE person who doesn't fill the coffee.

That or Terry "The Office Linebacker" Tate. He motivates people not to gently caress up.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Maybe I should have that in our kitchen. There is always that one person. That ONE person who doesn't fill the coffee.

That or Terry "The Office Linebacker" Tate. He motivates people not to gently caress up.

I was about to put up a Terry Tate sign when I noticed that someone put Liam up. I think both would be overkill.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shindragon posted:

I remember a few years back there was someone at my studio that couldn't even work the automated machine.
YOU DO NOT POUR WATER INTO THE BEAN HOPPER!

I think having a lock on it isn't a bad idea.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Juc66 posted:

I remember a few years back there was someone at my studio that couldn't even work the automated machine.
YOU DO NOT POUR WATER INTO THE BEAN HOPPER!

I think having a lock on it isn't a bad idea.
At some studios, the same theory should probably be applied to the bathrooms. The stories I heard from the scenes/messes that the dudes walked in on in their bathroom... ugh.

Stuff like "entire sink area covered densely in what appeared to be pubic hairs."

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

ceebee posted:

I agree, the game industry is small, people who treat people like poo poo should be called out on it so that people can make informed decisions before working with them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Catagorical posted:

That sucks :(

The few coffee-only machines we have are kept topped up and the rest of the drink dispensers are these crazy machines that you put disks into (like latte or cappucino or hot chocolate or tea or espresso) and mix and match poo poo. Hot chocolate + 2 espresso = Double Mocha. It's the most magical thing ever.

Yeah, but notice I said coffee machines, plural. There's always been plenty of alternatives, and they just added two new ones this week. Apparently, one of them even lets you store your preferences (long/regular/short, small/medium/large, etc.) through a user code so you don't have to repick every time.

That's fancy and all, but all I need is one button that does "espresso shot". Press once during preproduction, press twice during development, press five times during crunch. :shepface:

Edit:

Shalinor posted:

At some studios, the same theory should probably be applied to the bathrooms. The stories I heard from the scenes/messes that the dudes walked in on in their bathroom... ugh.

There were rumours of a chronic masturbator among the ranks of our QA. I really don't want to know where or how that rumour originated... Jizz on the stall walls? Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Apparently Insomniac moved their NC office to a building that's a 2-minute drive from my apartment.

... And they're not hiring. :smith: