Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

quadrophrenic posted:

I think $2500 (~US$85) would be pretty okay, even a little on the generous side. Maybe $1000 for food, $800 for booze, $700 for tchotchkes and cab fare. You could keep it much lower if you eat like a broke resident, but you can get some pretty nice food over four days for $1000.

e: might as well tack on a question to this post. I think a small fraction of my next paycheck is going to go towards building a gaming rig, because all I have right now is a lovely ThinkPad. Anyone have any tips on where to buy parts (in Greater Taipei) and what my budget should be? I'm pretty well-versed in building PCs (although I haven't built one in a couple of years) but I am curious if things like the BIOS set-up and OS set-up will be in Chinese. I have a monitor already but I need everything else, including the OS. I'm thinking I'd like some nice quad-core CPU and a mid-high end graphics card, nice and fresh but not so new that it's 3x as much as the last rollout. Think I can make a nice rig for $20000?

You can definitely get "decent" for 20000. SH/SC thread as far as actual part selection: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458091 They have a mid-range/sweet-spot setup but also a budget setup.

To buy: Guanghua. I was trying forever to find decent prices online here in Taiwan but seriously just go to Guanghua. Go in with a list of parts you want and they'll have most of them available. You might want to have 3 potential graphics cards, 3 processors, 3 mobos, etc... picked out since they have decent stock but it's not like they have acres of warehouse space. I picked my new computer up yesterday in fact. 25000 for the tower (MiniITX actually) itself, +monitor was almost 5000, didn't buy an OS. The prices range from same as Newegg to 10% more expensive for most components, but that's okay since as far as I'm concerned Newegg is like a little gift from the computing gods. Some things were way more expensive like the Radeon 7870 was 10000+ TWD for no particular reason, but go in knowing the approximate value of each part and you'll be fine.

BIOS will always be English unless you ask for Chinese. Which even then they might not have readily available? OS they'll just buy and install whatever you tell either Chinese or English.

Also they put everything together for you free if you can wait a couple hours, so you don't have to deal with RMAs. (At least not immediately...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

As well as Guanghua proper, I'd recommend a walk around the stores on Bade Road near Guanghua too.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
A new smartphone goes for 25K.

I'd say 30 if you want a machine that is going to be respectable in a few months. I'm fussy though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm not. Basically Skyrim on High is my benchmark. And I've done Newegg before and it was nice but I appreciate the novelty of getting a big envelope full of money, going to a place, and coming back with a computer. Thanks for the suggestions, goons!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
USDA Choice's recommendations are spot on. Guanghua is undisputedly the place to go; grab a few price sheets to get a handle on market prices and you can start to spec out what you want. Brands are going to vary and prices and selection are worse than Newegg, but you'll live.

Also, you'd do well to check out those stores on the opposite side of Bade Rd as mentioned particularly for one of the case shops halfway down the first alley on the south side of the road. They have a good selection, and are the best place to get decent fans for airflow and/or silence, as well as for CPU fans(like that Cooler Master one recommended in the SH/SC thread). The other mod shop I went to for this stuff was on bottom floor of Nova on the left out of the stairs, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Last, don't get an OS here unless you really really don't mind being stuck with Chinese windows unless you get Ultimate(hahahahahawhy). Might want to try getting it from an online key-based retailer(saveintheusa was one I think, got Lightroom for me and Photoshop for work from there) or a buddy still in college in the US.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
You really can't just flick on "English" in 7 Home Premium?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

You really can't just flick on "English" in 7 Home Premium?

Nope, different prices for different countries/languages. It's cheaper here than in America for the same thing, just with the language flipped.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Boy I sure do love it when Taiwanese people start bitching at you for obeying the traffic laws here. Heaven forbid you get in their way while they pull some erogenous poo poo on the road and almost cause and accident or two.

It's also a barrel of laughs how so many people here on scooters love to cheat the inside corner without slowing down when they make a left hand turn at un-marked intersections. That way not only are they risking an accident with oncoming traffic, but also people trying to make a right hand turn as well. At least it saves them .1 seconds of time and the laborious task of having to stay in their own lane and drive an extra 15 ft so they can see around the corner before making the turn.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm thinking of making the move to Taiwan from Korea. I've spent about 3 1/2 years here on and off, starting in 2007. I taught in a hagwon for a year and two years in an elementary school. For the past 6 months I've been finishing up my MA Tesol/English Education, about 400 classroom hours, at a Korean university, and have some good leads on university English conversation teaching gigs (18 classroom hours or less) here. I'm wondering about the Taiwanese university system. Specifically, the semester schedule, when to apply, salary, and so on. How many universities are there? Korea has upwards of 40, so I assume the competition is a bit more fierce.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

HappyHelmet posted:

Boy I sure do love it when Taiwanese people start bitching at you for obeying the traffic laws here. Heaven forbid you get in their way while they pull some erogenous poo poo on the road and almost cause and accident or two.

It's also a barrel of laughs how so many people here on scooters love to cheat the inside corner without slowing down when they make a left hand turn at un-marked intersections. That way not only are they risking an accident with oncoming traffic, but also people trying to make a right hand turn as well. At least it saves them .1 seconds of time and the laborious task of having to stay in their own lane and drive an extra 15 ft so they can see around the corner before making the turn.

I've been pretty shocked at the traffic here, and I think the reason I'm most shocked is because it seems like most people are pretty considerate of others in Taiwan, except for when they get on some sort of wheeled vehicle. Then they go crazy.

Also, lol, I think you meant "egregious". Traffic would be a lot more interesting here if people were pulling erogenous stunts while driving.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Inu posted:

I've been pretty shocked at the traffic here, and I think the reason I'm most shocked is because it seems like most people are pretty considerate of others in Taiwan, except for when they get on some sort of wheeled vehicle. Then they go crazy.

Also, lol, I think you meant "egregious". Traffic would be a lot more interesting here if people were pulling erogenous stunts while driving.

Oh, haha, yeah that was not the right word I used. I couldn't remember how to spell it so I let the computer auto-correct it :v:

Also yeah, the traffic here can get pretty bad here sometimes. I used to love the freedom of being able to basically do whatever I wanted on the road, but after countless almost accidents (mostly from other drivers, but a few I almost caused as well) I'm starting to really hate it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

politicorific posted:

How many universities are there? Korea has upwards of 40, so I assume the competition is a bit more fierce.
I think the sum total is something approaching a quadrillion. There are a goddamned insane number of universities/tertiary institutes here.

fake edit: According to Wikipedia, there are 173 tertiary institutes in Taiwan - 55 public and 109 private universities/technical colleges/junior colleges, along with 9 police/military academies.

e:

Inu posted:

I've been pretty shocked at the traffic here, and I think the reason I'm most shocked is because it seems like most people are pretty considerate of others in Taiwan, except for when they get on some sort of wheeled vehicle.
Most people are considerate only up until it inconveniences them personally.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 29, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

On the road, that translates to every goddamn second.

I've actually had this conversation with several Taiwanese people and they all seem to agree with me and know exactly what I mean. But they don't offer any solutions to the problem. It is the way it is.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Oh hey, speaking of lovely drivers, peds can be loving dumb too: I was driving home today and almost hit some motherfucker crossing the road when he shouldn't, is slightly surprised and backs up a little bit, then immediately continues across the road again and is almost hit by a different car.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

e:

I never thought about them this way, but that is very true. Personally I always thought of most Taiwanese as being more like petulant children who only really care about themselves, but that is a better (more polite) way to put it.

duckfarts posted:

Oh hey, speaking of lovely drivers, peds can be loving dumb too: I was driving home today and almost hit some motherfucker crossing the road when he shouldn't, is slightly surprised and backs up a little bit, then immediately continues across the road again and is almost hit by a different car.

This is true, too. I like the ones who where nothing but black and cross the road in dimly lit areas in the middle of nowhere during the night. Bonus points if they are drunk on a bicycle with no reflectors swerving all over the scooter lane.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have decided that owning a car is more trouble than it is worth here. I'm just not using the thing and I don't really have a need for it. Anyone looking to buy a fairly good car at a reasonable price?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

I have decided that owning a car is more trouble than it is worth here. I'm just not using the thing and I don't really have a need for it. Anyone looking to buy a fairly good car at a reasonable price?

I might be interested as my scooter is busted, and I'm in need of something to haul bakery supplies around with. What are you looking to sell it for?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
70,000 for the car plus transfer of title expenses. I'm not sure how tax works. I know I paid the tax for this year but I don't know if you'd have to pay it again. Also, you'd need to buy insurance, but that's pretty cheap.

http://www.taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=1102

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

70,000 for the car plus transfer of title expenses. I'm not sure how tax works. I know I paid the tax for this year but I don't know if you'd have to pay it again. Also, you'd need to buy insurance, but that's pretty cheap.

That's a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I'm looking more for an old beater because honestly, like you, I won't get much use out of it either beyond "grocery getter." I'll probably try to find an old March or something for around $30K.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I am sorely tempted, but 70K, it's a bit rich for me at the minute, and I'm thinking I'm going to do a monthly thing for a one/two year old model. I've only looked around briefly, and I want to move apartment in November, so timing is a concern too.

My last car was a 1997, and while it was great I put more miles on it in the 2 years I had it than it had done in all the years previous. Your Toyota has a similar spec and a very similar rating to my previous (Opel Vectra).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Anyone want to knock back a few beers tonight? I'm gonna hit up revolver for a bit after work, or maybe just a sev somewhere.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Anyone want to knock back a few beers tonight? I'm gonna hit up revolver for a bit after work, or maybe just a sev somewhere.

I got fairly toasted on the way home from work last night, else I'd have joined you.

In related news, November 1st is my 1 year here anniversary.

I was thinking of doing something that weekend (November 3), but I don't know how that's gonna sit with the inevitable Halloween hangovers that I imagine most people will be sporting.

I was thinking of a cheap place that I use that is happy to accommodate a bunch of us and ply us with food/drinks until the wee hours.

Ideas?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Made it home by 2:30. Probably my earliest "couple beers after work" in a while.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
What's the healthcare situation look like for non-citizens? Do they have to pay higher rates or do they get the same rates as everyone else?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tequila posted:

What's the healthcare situation look like for non-citizens? Do they have to pay higher rates or do they get the same rates as everyone else?

Same as everyone else as far as I know. Looking at a recent paystub, I paid $521 a month.

I heard we got offered "Labor Insurance" now, but no one has any idea of what it is.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Does anyone know if there'll be any cool fireworks shows tomorrow in Greater Taipei, or is it just the big one in Miaoli? I wanna show a new ladyfriend an exploding sky, but I don't want to buy/can't afford a HSR ticket.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My girlfriend might be looking for a new job soon. Does anyone know of a good position for a native English speaking white person with a masters in Chinese?

Edit: Also you guys might be interested in these new changes to the labor laws that are coming down the pipes:

http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xitem=196805&CtNode=414

quote:

The ROC Ministry of the Interior passed draft amendments to the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens Sept. 27 in a move to enhance Taiwan’s competitiveness and attract more foreigners.

“The stipulation that white-collar workers in professional fields should leave within 15 days after their employment contract has ended has been relaxed to 90 days,” the MOI said in a news release.

“To increase incentives for foreigners to invest in Taiwan, aliens who have invested in government bonds worth NT$30 million (US$1 million) for three years will be granted permanent residency,” the ministry said.

Foreigners who have legally resided in Taiwan for five consecutive years, with each trip abroad under three months, will not have to submit health certificates or criminal records when applying for permanent residency, the MOI added.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 12, 2012

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sweet. I'll be eligible for an APRC in another year or so (hopefully, if my new school doesn't muck up my ARC this year, fingers crossed), I always heard the background check thing was a total pain because it needed to be translated and notarized and stuff. Also, the less stool samples I am required to submit in my life, the better. Hopefully they'll be approved by the cabinet by next year, then.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm hoping for the next few months myself. I'm not totally clear on what cabinet approval entails, but I'm assuming it's not a long drawn out process. I qualify in December.

Edit: You haven't had to poop in a jar in forever though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well I know you haven't had to do a stool sample for a standard ARC for a while, but I was told that the APRC health check was a much more stringent one than the regular one. Good to know, though :)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

My girlfriend might be looking for a new job soon. Does anyone know of a good position for a native English speaking white person with a masters in Chinese?

Edit: Also you guys might be interested in these new changes to the labor laws that are coming down the pipes:

http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xitem=196805&CtNode=414

Yesssssssss I qualify for an APRC I just couldn't be hosed to do it. This makes it much nicer.

That seems like most of the actual things you needed to do though. I wonder what's left? Fill out the form, prove you have money in your bank account, ???

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Worth noting that the Chinese press release specifically says no Taiwanese criminal record documentation. There's nothing either way on overseas documentation.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Worth noting that the Chinese press release specifically says no Taiwanese criminal record documentation. There's nothing either way on overseas documentation.
Shut up dude, don't jinx it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's Taiwanese bureaucracy, it doesn't need my help to gently caress up a good idea.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Then throw a shoe at it until you get what you want.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Do speeding tickets count as criminal?

If so, I am hosed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Hey, if anyone knows where I can score a green man suit before Halloween, lemme know ok?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

url posted:

Do speeding tickets count as criminal?

If so, I am hosed.

Those typically count as "minor traffic offenses", not criminal.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

SB35 posted:

Those typically count as "minor traffic offenses", not criminal.

yeah, i figured.
I"d guess they'd only come into play if they went unpaid.

also: hay!
haven't seen you post in an age - hows tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wait what? You guys had to poop in a jar? I thought the Korean check was invasive, jesus.