Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Wooo! Congratulations Meow Cadet!

I turned in an audition for a voiceover on Sunday and now the waiting begins to see if I get chosen for the part. It's a musical piece and I"m hoping they like my reading.

I took the good advice of this thread and gave them a quarter of the piece clean and then *wham* horrible distortion. They can put the whole piece into their track to check timing but it would be seriously awful to use. If they cough up some funds then they get the clean version.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm curious if any of you have tried using ACX, and if so what your experience has been. I didn't see it listed in the jobs in the OP, so I figured I'd ask.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Never heard of it, but I'll sign up and find out!

EDIT: https://www.acx.com/narrator?p=A1B6COIAVUC19E

Took me a few minutes to set up a profile, I'll let you all know if I get any hits.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 12, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CuddleChunks posted:

Wooo! Congratulations Meow Cadet!

I turned in an audition for a voiceover on Sunday and now the waiting begins to see if I get chosen for the part. It's a musical piece and I"m hoping they like my reading.

I took the good advice of this thread and gave them a quarter of the piece clean and then *wham* horrible distortion. They can put the whole piece into their track to check timing but it would be seriously awful to use. If they cough up some funds then they get the clean version.

Any word on this, Chunks? How about the rest of you guys? I hope you're all having fun and making some money by reading a thing.

I haven't read or recorded at all in months, despite having some opportunities. A relative of mine has just opened an elder-care facility and needs radio spots done. I convinced her to let me at least try my hand at it before spending hundreds of dollars, but I haven't written or read anything.

I may also have a chance to audition for the narration of some videos for a national honors society that I belong to, and I really need to practice. What do you guys do for motivation / inspiration when apathy sets in?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I haven't heard back from the band yet but won't get nervous about it for another couple weeks.

Since I do this for a hobby I'm always finding new projects. I have the audio done for another Lovecraft book and need to add the music bed and maybe some sound effects. I want each of my readings to improve in quality on my prior work.

I'm also volunteering at Librivox and have another story to read for them.

Best of all, a friend of mine is in town and an offhand comment has given me a truly ghastly idea for a reading so I'll be doing some more silly stuff soon. That's my advice - go record something ridiculous.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Yesterday I was asked by someone to give a quote for doing a last minute reading for an awards ceremony. It was 750 words recorded, edited & delivered. They had hired a VO talent via Voices.com (The talent had bid on the job which is how that service works). I normally don't have to bid on the job when I'm hired for VO. People tell me how much the pay is and I decide based on that. So I did some research and it seemed like $300-$400 was a pretty normal price range for that kind of work (rush record, edit). So I asked what the other VO had bid and the guy had bid $147.

I was going by rates posted at places like
http://www.voices.com/rates
http://www.bodytonemultimedia.com/Body_Tone_Multimedia_Voice_Over/Body_Tone_Multimedia_Voice-Overs_Rates.html
http://www.thevoicerealm.com/pricing.php

I find the that much like video editing, people just don't value VO very highly. I mean, we can all talk, right? Whats so special about talking...

The other gig I've been doing lately has been hinting they might cut my rate by $50 because they think VO talent are being over paid. I'm sneaking out of my day job to do this. If I had to do it for a living I'd be homeless at these rates.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Nothing new on my front either other than a couple new IMDB credits (Malevolence RPG & Customer Service, which was on-camera acting). Was going to wait until I had footage or something to show for it but this caught my eye:

Volmarias posted:

I'm curious if any of you have tried using ACX, and if so what your experience has been. I didn't see it listed in the jobs in the OP, so I figured I'd ask.
I signed up earlier today and I'll probably throw down an audition or two tomorrow and see what happens. It looks like the safest option are books with an additional stipend attached (you can filter them through your search). The stipend is paid directly by ACX, so even if the book flops and you barely receive any royalties, you're still looking at around $1k profit. ChaosTheory (or anyone else), definitely report back if you have any success and I'll add it to the OP. I'd like to have at least one success story before we recommend it to folks.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Thanks to this thread I now own a Blue Yeti.

I work making computer games (as Mr Buttermilk may recall) and needed something for shouts, grunts and other effects, possibly working up to spoken lines as my confidence grows. ( Plus when I'm rich and famous I can use it for interviews :haw: ). I also kind of like the idea of having a good speaking voice so this is also a strange hobby too.

Anyway I'd certainly consider myself a complete amateur and don't rate my actual speaking skills very highly at all. I know like all acting this skill crosses the line into "some people just can't do this well" territory but I am a strong believer in practice makes perfect so we shall see. I will try to follow the advice here while I learn how to talk properly and practice.

Currently I have the mic setup away from my computer on a stack of boxes in my office lined up with my mouth while I'm standing. I feel that standing up is the right thing to do but really not having it picking up on desk vibrations is the main reason.

In future I plan to get a tablet for recording away from the PC fan entirely - is this common or do most people just remove background / fan noise in post? It seems easy to do in Audacity (and it's less than 1% when I amplify my voice) but I probably need to take care not to lose too much signal.

I've just tried using a pair of headphones (some simple JVC in-ear gel bud things I have for my iPod). Although initially I had doubts as to their usefulness I quickly found myself more relaxed and feeling in a bubble where it was just me and the mic. I gave a more confident 'performance' (I certainly don't feel like I can remove the quotes just yet) because of it.

Now to work on my speaking. I'm still getting over the freakish 'sound of my own voice' problem (that goes away right?) and I know I need to drink more water and slow the hell down. I feel I have a terrible hiss in all my 's' sounds too. Is there any advice you can give for that besides dental reconstruction? or am I just being self-conscious?

Here's me reading from "Do Ants Have Arseholes":

CuddleChunks posted:

Don't have a cast of voice actors at hand? No problem, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zR3IDEHrM
This is incredible btw, thanks for pointing it out. How inspirational! (and unobtainable)

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 18, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

^ I don't think there's anything cringeworthy about your voice. It's pleasant enough, I'm sure that feeling will go away with experience.

I am also a complete amateur so you can tell me to piss up a pole if you want, but here's my feedback:

Recording quality sounded pretty solid to me. I didn't hear any background noise or popping or anything glaring like that.

You may want to post something slightly longer so that the pros ITT have something with a little more heft to critique. Were it me, I would work on pacing and pronunciation first. Your opening line about evolution was almost unintelligible to me the first couple of times I heard it, and the word "contrary" came out a lot like "country". I feel like I am pretty fair at parsing accents for an uncultured American, so I don't think that is the issue. Also, (V/O thread standard answer) slow down™.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

titties posted:

^ I don't think there's anything cringeworthy about your voice. It's pleasant enough, I'm sure that feeling will go away with experience.

I am also a complete amateur so you can tell me to piss up a pole if you want, but here's my feedback:

Recording quality sounded pretty solid to me. I didn't hear any background noise or popping or anything glaring like that.

You may want to post something slightly longer so that the pros ITT have something with a little more heft to critique. Were it me, I would work on pacing and pronunciation first. Your opening line about evolution was almost unintelligible to me the first couple of times I heard it, and the word "contrary" came out a lot like "country". I feel like I am pretty fair at parsing accents for an uncultured American, so I don't think that is the issue. Also, (V/O thread standard answer) slow down™.
Thanks for the helpful feedback, that's all stuff I can work on. Now that you point out the problem with the opening line I totally agree that it is pretty unclear. Slowing down will hopefully help me put that missing 'r' back into "contrary". So many bad habits to break!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Honestly I think Titties said all there really is to. For a straight reading the quality is pretty good. If I up my speakers I can hear a little bit of reverb of your room, but it's really slight. Almost sounds like the top half of your room is a bit bare. A limiter/expander gate would clear that up mostly. Limiter's are the opposite of compressors. In a compressor with a sound gets too loud, it slaps the volume down a bit. A limiter is when a sound drops BELOW a certain level it then suppresses the volume. So if it's below say -60dBFS you don't hear it at all.

For performance, a larger selection would help. Also what are your goals? What is it you want to do? That will help us pin point areas to work on.

The snob in me would suggest getting a decent pair of headphones, instead of earbuds. That's probably just irrational bias on my part. Using them while recording is always a good idea. I can't record without hearing my own voice anymore as it is how I can tell if I have too much mouth noise, or if the mic is actually hooked up yet. Using a Tablet with a Yeti seems sacrilegious, however if your goal is quick to set up recording away from other distractions it sounds like a solid idea.

For harsh esses, you can use an aptly named "De-Esser" during post production. It's a compressor that is linked to a particular frequency range. So when a range of typically 4kHz to 6-7 kHz gets too loud, it will quieten those moments. However, the ideal answer to anything that is bothering you about your voice is to start at the source. As you practice you'll learn you can modulate your voices is quite an impressive number of ways. Simple things like turning your head away from the mic when you are about to make a louder of sharper noise. Or if you are going to make a loud ESSS noise, actually pushing less air through your lungs than you would for other sounds. That winds up being pretty personal and unique to the owner of the lungs, trachea, vocal chords, teeth, tongue, lips, etc. So practice and play with your voice like when you were a kid trying to learn to whistle. You'll fumble al ot until you being to hit something of use.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Huge thanks to whoever picked up a couple banner ads for the thread! Just noticed them.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That was me, I'd like to grab 2 more again next month but really, really want a better visual for the banner next time around. Cause the one I made? Yeah... *cough*

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

So I did this:

For here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515648

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

They shouldn't have gassed that thread because now your awesome work got lost. Thanks for reposting it here. hahahaha.

titties
May 10, 2012

SO MUCH TRUTH in that post. Thanks for bringing it to life.

E: That's going in the quote thread

titties fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 5, 2012

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

People haaaaate it in the quotes thread =[

titties
May 10, 2012

Yeah, sorry. I thought it was a a fine example of white person rap.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Some people just don't appreciate El Rapo Blanco.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Would anyone be interested in doing an intro and some bump clips for a volunteer firefighting related podcast? I'm broke as poo poo but I'm sure I could spare 5 or 10 bucks if that helps any.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

invision posted:

Would anyone be interested in doing an intro and some bump clips for a volunteer firefighting related podcast? I'm broke as poo poo but I'm sure I could spare 5 or 10 bucks if that helps any.

Sure! Email me at my username @ gmail.com and I'd be happy to help out, even if it's on the cheap.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah same here if you want me to do some my email is JamesRossiAudio at google's mail service.

EXAMPLE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHen8KxsXYI

titties
May 10, 2012

invision posted:

I would like to take a shot at it too, if for no other reason than the practice. You don't have to wait on me before picking someone,I just want to read.

Please send a script or whatever to spamcentral on the juno dot com webmail provider.

E: PM's are good too

titties fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 13, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take a shot at it too. PM me or email at thestinkmeister at hotmail.com.

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
Name: Tinsin

Specialties: A medium-deep voice, I guess, with a possibly nasal quality to it. Also, a variety of fun and whimsical character voices. Yeah.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/tinsin

IMDB/Portfolio: I've been in a few minor fan-productions, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M82ppvoLI-M
But nothing too major yet.

Contact: Please email me at my unfortunately-named yahoo account, incoherental.

Payment: If you want to pay me, great! Otherwise, as long as the task isn't too arduous, I'm fine with whatever.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Tinsin posted:

Name: Tinsin

Specialties: A medium-deep voice, I guess, with a possibly nasal quality to it. Also, a variety of fun and whimsical character voices. Yeah.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/tinsin

IMDB/Portfolio: I've been in a few minor fan-productions, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M82ppvoLI-M
But nothing too major yet.

Hello Tinsen! Welcome. So first off, I'm going to write down my impressions as they come to me on your demo and recordings and what not. I mean no offense but I typically prefer to be blunt. I am more than happy to help you improve however, so I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have in response to my thoughts. So let's rock.

First off the recordings of Joe Man's OP even before I hear your voice I am catching that it sounds like you are using noise removal on the recording. It gives this really digital wishy washy effect to a recording when applied too hard.

I am hearing some kind of feedback. Like you say something and then a moment later I rehear it very separately. Also, just on occasion I am hearing just some odd distortion or just a weird low noise.

As you talk there are many instances when you are overloading your mic. You can hear it even when you first say Joe Man, with the buzzy fvvvvv noise. We can help you sort out any equipment set up problems you having, so if you could describe your physical set up and editing process we might be able to bring down the problems with your initial recording.

Your recording environment needs a lot of cleanup. There's lots of echo that I'm guessing you tried to suppress with noise removal. A better way to accomplish this in post is using a Limiter/Expander that will cut the sound off (or diminish it) when it drops below a certain volume.

Other things you can do to remove echo is to build a uh... VO Box? Someone help me =[ Not sure of the name, basically a padded box to stick your mic in. Or you could hang blankets/mattress against the walls creating the worst sound reflections.

There's a lot of performance issues, but before we delve into that, we should get you up to snuff on getting a good clean signal to start with before you mess with effects or we guide you on the performances.

So, in all the rambling, one of the most important bits would be telling us your equipment and set up. Pictures help!

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
Thank you for your response, Jossi. Unfortunately, since I don't have a lot of funds, I was using a Wal-Mart mic (branded as "onn"?) and was recording in a big echo-ey room in the local public library. It's probably one of the least conducive setups/environments.

So I guess, since the environment is semi-malleable (I can record at my mom's should the need arise), I guess my real question now should be "How can I semi-cheaply get a better setup?"

EDIT: Ah, and about the noise cancelling. Due to the nature of my mic being cheap, it picks up a LOT of background noise that I can't even hear. So, yes, I did use Audacity's noise cancellation, because I hoped it would clean it up a bit.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

There's a lot of things we could work on (enunciation, breath control, and just generally slowing down) but I 100% agree with Jossi that getting a decent setup & cleaner mic sound needs to be your first priority. I'm not really a hardware guy but take advice from the ones in the thread that are. Once you get your technical problems mostly resolved, I'll be happy to work with you on actually fine-tuning your speech.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

The performance talk does remind me The Joe Man, any comments on the video I linked above as an Example? That's my latest weekly news thing, it's the 30th week. I think I hit the compressor too hard, and the editing has been rushed and sloppy so there's a few bad cuts, but I could use a fresh set of ears on what I've been doing with that from you (or anyone else) willing to give me some suggestions.

Actually this weeks is weaker than usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHen8KxsXYI
Here's last weeks too which is a little stronger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tfSRXhfBZ4

Gah, now I hate my voice again. Next time I do better.

Tinin, having really expensive equipment can help, but it's certainly not required. So while an upgrade WILL be required I think if you plant to take VO work seriously, in the short term, or for personal fun it's not dire. I'd say that recording in the Library just isn't going to be the best idea.

You could buy/build one of these: http://recordinghacks.com/2009/07/14/portable-voiceover-studio-foam-box-test/ to use in the library but you might raise a few questions. I'd suggest recording at your mom's and finding a nice place to plunk down, hopefully a room that's not all hard walls and empty. Full rooms, fabrics, non bare walls all help reduce reflections.

For semi-cheaply voice over work and audio stuff in general you need to budget and plan things out. What is your budget? What are you willing to spend on? I like my 20$ pop filter. But you can make one from a stocking and coathanger for super cheap. Some people don't use them at all (as it alters the sound) and instead aren't mouthbreathers like me.

Microphones can range a lot, I use an Analog to Digital converter. Some people use all in one USB mics which are vastly simpler but just don't make you look nearly as cool.

Editing programs can also be costly, but Audacity is a really fantastic program with a lot of options but not nearly as user friendly and doesn't do Real Time plugins I don't believe so you can't alter things on the fly. But it is free.

So there's a whole mess of options. The more you can tell us the better. The most important is this though, what do you want to do? What is your end goal? What can you dedicate to getting there be it money, locations, or mattresses/blankets. With that we can help a lot more. Feel free to over share.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 14, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

The performance talk does remind me The Joe Man, any comments on the video I linked above as an Example? That's my latest weekly news thing, it's the 30th week. I think I hit the compressor too hard, and the editing has been rushed and sloppy so there's a few bad cuts, but I could use a fresh set of ears on what I've been doing with that from you (or anyone else) willing to give me some suggestions.

Actually this weeks is weaker than usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHen8KxsXYI
Here's last weeks too which is a little stronger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tfSRXhfBZ4

Technically clean but very sing-songy. If you started high, I knew you were going to end low. If you started low, I'd bet money you were about to end high. Insanely telegraphed.

Sure, the subject matter might be boring and you might go nuts by spending this much time on it, but break down each sentence's guts individually (while slightly factoring in the variable "expected" reactions from prior & next sentences) and just read it naturally instead of looking at them in blocks. Blocks that you want to complete as fast as possible and never have to read or record again. From the tone, speed and rhythm of your voice, my guess is that you've fallen into a routine. You've realized that going up & down/down & up will technically get those lines out the door quicker because there's (almost) zero risk due to zero deviation from the routine.

Am I on the right track?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Honestly, I didn't even notice I was doing that. I think that was a result of me being lazy and not reviewing the scripts beforehand. The sing song is probably because I am basically cold reading the scripts and that let's me get through without having to make too many retakes.

Being lazy will be my downfall. I should have been doing this all along, but I'll need to start printing out the scripts and marking them up as you suggested ages ago in general. I've got a Top 5 thing to record soon for the site, so I'll have to start working to break that habit. Thanks for taking a listen! Was there anything else, or do you think other problems just kind of masked by that particular issue?

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
Thank you for your responses, Joe and Jossi, and my apologies for the delay in my own.

I may try to get a nice mic for Christmas. Hopefully that'll come through. As far as what I want to do with this, well... While I'd really like to get into the professional field, it's fairly unlikely, especially with my lack of training. So for right now, I'd just like to have fun and maybe lend a hand in some projects of some sort.

Are there any sorts of vocal exercises I can do in anticipation of a better setup? I'd really like to work on my ability, even if my setup isn't optimal. But I really would like to improve my setup, and again, I thank you for your input.

titties
May 10, 2012

Tinsin posted:

Are there any sorts of vocal exercises I can do in anticipation of a better setup? I'd really like to work on my ability, even if my setup isn't optimal. But I really would like to improve my setup, and again, I thank you for your input.

I'm sure there are, and you could probably learn them from a singing or vocal coach. However, this thread's general response is simply to read something out loud. Anything, really. Just read out loud. It's practical, effective, and free.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Books of tongue twisters are also REALLY good.

I'd really stress Tinsen that you should work on your recording environment first with you current mic before working on vocal exercises. A better mic might capture MORE background noise. It depends on a lot of factors. So having a space you can comfortably record in, and at a minimum throw some blankets around is pretty important. I personally have a side room the size of a large closet that I have screwed a blanket and a big rear end foam mattress to the wall of to record in. (It also has an angled wall with is a huge bonus). Once you have a clean space to record in, you can work on clean recordings. Concurrently listening to audio books to see how people treat that material, and watching cartoons can help point you in certain directions. Finally the absolute best advise really is what Titties said. Just read the poo poo out of everything. When browsing the forums just talk the posts aloud, when reading a book or newspaper try out different styles. That will do you wonders for just not tripping up over your own tongue.

Basically, I just don't want to push (or have you push yourself) towards dropping big bucks on a microphone just yet when you there's a lot of other things you'll want settled first. Also, USB mics have some pretty good sales from time to time at places like http://www.sweetwater.com/ or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/. Instead of having someone buy you one for 10% for Christmas you may be able to find it for much cheaper at a different time. It really can help to learn how to make the best of lovely equipment because its a fantastic skill. Give me a 2 buck Omnidirectional Microphone and a bedroom and I can whip something up that sounds at least half-way decent. And it is something anyone can learn to do.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Hey, I've been lurking in this thread for a while but thought I'd post an interesting question.

I've been working in the radio industry for 14 years and would love to transition into the commercial recording area, but I'm not so foolish as to think that I can whip up a demo and become the next Jon St. John.

I'm interested in learning about being a recording engineer for studios that do video game, cartoon and movie voice overs. Which, as it turns out, isn't that common among commercial recording studios. I've spent some time talking to people I know who work in commercial recording and I've found a lot of studios that do a lot of other audio work (commercials, audio books, documentaries) but not game/movie/cartoon work. They've also indicated that it takes a certain set of skills and equipment to specialize a studio for such work.

So, here's my question: anyone know some specific studios that do game/movie/cartoon production? Does anyone have any resources for job postings? Does anyone know someone I could get in touch with to learn more?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I unfortunately give many specifics, and you probably know as much (if not more) than I do but here's a small list of things.

First off for most of these you want a Media Recording setup. There's no real specifics on that but you'll want a projector or decently sized monitor to display things for Foley, ADR, film viewing etc. These kinds of studios can be just a single room, in which you can also do your vocal recordings. You might be able to do 2-3 people at a time if the client wants. A side room for isoalted recording also is nice.

The equipment needed would likely be similar to what you would work with at a typical radio station as you don't need equipment specialized for the very wide range of musical tones, sounds, and characters. Mics used for radio are often a bit too Boomey and Present I find, having something a bit more neutral helps depending on the required effect.

One issue that I can not confirm one single bit, so take it as you will. But it's that these kinds of studios seem to be usually small operations. So you might only have 2-3 people tops. I know for me I could probably do all the vocal recording and syncing to a cartoon on my own even in my current studio set up (and I would love to do that). So it's an environment that seems a bit closed in in that regard. People can intern at music studios, but when it comes to these more isolated endeavors it's less an option to have those kinds of inroads.

For existing studios almost all I've seen are either In House (I believe Valve does all their own audio) or in California specifically LA. Other than that I've also seen a LOT of just freelance options. Hop onto craigslist and you can find students looking for sound people, often for no money which is bullshit though. Unfortunately a lot of this, like the Audio field, in general is all connecting to like minded people either at get together's or forums online like places such as http://www.gearslutz.com/board/. Get a portfolio going though and that will also help you immensely. Take a small modifiable indy game and do all the sound in it for instance can be great practice and great to show off. (Another thing I should do.)

Also welcome! What sort of things have you done in the radio industry?

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll spare you my resume but strictly within the radio industry I've worked mostly in public radio doing production work with a few years of local on-air hosting for All Things Considered and producing local news stories. Before that I worked in commercial radio doing post-production work (mostly making spots and imaging). I did college radio before that and even had the benefit of having a radio station at my high school.

Outside of the "industry" I hosted and produced a podcast called Limit Break Radio between '06-'11 which was a podcast for players of the online game Final Fantasy XI. I'm currently producing and hosting a podcast called Re:Fresh with a few of my friends.

I agree with your assessment of the equipment I would need, but I'm not looking to start my own operation by any means. I'm pretty confident of my ability to capture audio and sync it to an image, but it seems like there would be more to it then that. I think, ideally, I'd like to find an operation that does the kind of work I want to do and either intern or volunteer so I have some time to learn the finer points of what's required to do that kind of work. Clearly, I know Adobe Audition and Pro Tools. So I'm looking to hone in on other skills required to do something like that. Again, the problem is getting in to that "in crowd" to figure out exactly who's doing that kind of stuff. And unfortunately, when you google "voice over audio engineer jobs" the results aren't ideal.

I agree with you that the most important thing is connecting with people. I've had pretty bum luck with websites that are supposed to be the "Facebook for the radio industry" or a "message board for audio folks" but they're so hit & miss that it feels pointless to even submit anything. I've had pieces up on PRX.org since '07 and it's never done anything for me. I will check out GearSlutz though, thanks.

I love your suggestion for adding audio to a modable indie game. Great way to get noticed.

Cerys du Lys
Aug 9, 2012

This is a really cool thread! I need to read more of it, but I liked what I saw so far. I've actually just started looking for VA stuff for an audio book, so I'm glad I saw the ad on the bottom awhile back.

I saw someone mention ACX earlier and that's what myself and some other writer goons here I know are using, since it's the easiest/only way(that I know of) to get your audio books onto Amazon/iTunes(and potentially other places.

And... I realize this is a bit out there for some of you, but if anyone's interested, I'd definitely be willing to take/consider auditions for erotica books I have(with the end intent of going through ACX to have them put up on Amazon/iTunes). Or if anyone wants to practice in a new sexy voice I'd be happy to let you read parts of my eBooks as a sample, for your portfolio or whatever. I don't really know how useful a sexy voice sample is, but hey, you never know?

Most of my stuff is female main character(lots of options there), though I have one gay werewolf styled thing, a classy billionaire man(small sections), and another fairy tale werewolf(Beauty and the Beast-ish) guy.

If seriously interested in doing the audio book thing, I'd need the person to join ACX and get approved by them first, and then my preferred method of payment would be a royalty share(50:50, and they pay writer/VA 50%-90% of audio book sales depending on how many sales are made in a certain period. Audio Book prices are set depending on length of script, so I couldn't tell you off hand exactly what the royalty would amount to, but I believe $6 is for a very short audio book). ACX handles all the payments there, so you'd get royalties on a monthly basis depending on sales after awhile. (my email is cerysdulys (at) gmail (dot) com, but I'll check back here, too)

Anyways! Cool thread and it's neat to hear some of your samples. Here's my author page if anyone's interested: http://www.amazon.com/author/cerysdulys
Also, there's this thread where I imagine you could find people potentially interested and/or willing to let you do samples of their stuff for your portfolio/whatever, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503700&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fake edit: I saw erotic/erotica stuff mentioned earlier in the thread, and that someone actually linked to the self-published erotica thread, but not too much. How much interest is there in that? I think it could be fun, though I'm obviously not a VA, but I can see where there might be a moral high ground kind of stance towards it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

As a male Homosexual Werewolf I feel I am uniquely qualified to apply for the position of reading such a novel.

What has your experience been like with ACX? I feel a little wary of it myself but I don't really know why. I feel like I recall some mixed opinions with it. Although really I am unsure if any of us here have had a real go at it.

At one point I think CuddleChunks? Visited the thread but didn't get too much response, I think there was a pretty active discussion at the time that swamped the posts.

For any kind of Moral issues with erotica that's pretty much person to person. I have no qualms about it, but it would be awful awkward if the office I work for got hold of them. Course we also have people like King Lou whose got a drat solid voice who does "Lou reads the internet" and he's said some things that out of context could land him in jail, so as I see it there is plenty of people willing to take that plunge. I know I'd find it fun myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cerys du Lys posted:

This is a really cool thread! I need to read more of it, but I liked what I saw so far. I've actually just started looking for VA stuff for an audio book, so I'm glad I saw the ad on the bottom awhile back.

I saw someone mention ACX earlier and that's what myself and some other writer goons here I know are using, since it's the easiest/only way(that I know of) to get your audio books onto Amazon/iTunes(and potentially other places.

And... I realize this is a bit out there for some of you, but if anyone's interested, I'd definitely be willing to take/consider auditions for erotica books I have(with the end intent of going through ACX to have them put up on Amazon/iTunes). Or if anyone wants to practice in a new sexy voice I'd be happy to let you read parts of my eBooks as a sample, for your portfolio or whatever. I don't really know how useful a sexy voice sample is, but hey, you never know?

Most of my stuff is female main character(lots of options there), though I have one gay werewolf styled thing, a classy billionaire man(small sections), and another fairy tale werewolf(Beauty and the Beast-ish) guy.

If seriously interested in doing the audio book thing, I'd need the person to join ACX and get approved by them first, and then my preferred method of payment would be a royalty share(50:50, and they pay writer/VA 50%-90% of audio book sales depending on how many sales are made in a certain period. Audio Book prices are set depending on length of script, so I couldn't tell you off hand exactly what the royalty would amount to, but I believe $6 is for a very short audio book). ACX handles all the payments there, so you'd get royalties on a monthly basis depending on sales after awhile. (my email is cerysdulys (at) gmail (dot) com, but I'll check back here, too)

Anyways! Cool thread and it's neat to hear some of your samples. Here's my author page if anyone's interested: http://www.amazon.com/author/cerysdulys
Also, there's this thread where I imagine you could find people potentially interested and/or willing to let you do samples of their stuff for your portfolio/whatever, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503700&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fake edit: I saw erotic/erotica stuff mentioned earlier in the thread, and that someone actually linked to the self-published erotica thread, but not too much. How much interest is there in that? I think it could be fun, though I'm obviously not a VA, but I can see where there might be a moral high ground kind of stance towards it.

I'll record anything for money. Already signed up/approved on ACX so if you'd like to send a small audition script (with a brief summary of the "vibe" of voice you'd like) to REDACTED, I'll email a spec clip back and if you're game, we'll go through the process officially on ACX (unless there's a better way for you to do it).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2018