Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the bell pepper confetti or the mesclun haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm a big fan of the carrot rose and parsley sprigs, myself. But then I'm traditional.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

By the way, on the pasta water topic... This is a pretty :downs: tip, but I was dumb about it at first: if your recipe actually relies on the starch in pasta water to make things adhere properly/get the right texture, don't cook your pasta in too much water or it might end up too diluted to work properly.

If you're really into getting the starch you can also cook it like a risotto (just adding liquid bit by bit and getting it all absorbed). Works well for some stuff like mac and cheese.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm a fan of the ultratex thickened sauce spoon swoop and the contrasted color sauce drop dots around the plate.

And gelee veils.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Protip: Never do a smear with a brown sauce.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm a big fan of the carrot rose and parsley sprigs, myself. But then I'm traditional.

I already said lemon crown, those are just a given.

Also: a single mint leaf with every dessert.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I already said lemon crown, those are just a given.

The problem with the lemon crown is that lemon is pretty tangy and it can offend the taste of some diners. It's better to play it safe unless they order something really out there and dangerous like salmon.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Everything scooped with a 3/8 ounce disher.

Everything.

:colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like my foods served with a shroud so I can eat them properly. That is, away from the sight of god.

Edit: Deep fried and served on a stick is also an acceptable serving method.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I like my foods served with a shroud so I can eat them properly. That is, away from the sight of god.

Edit: Deep fried and served on a stick is also an acceptable serving method.
Or in a bucket.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Or in a bucket.

I prefer feedbags, even if they're a little difficult to clean without ruining the rest of my laundry.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone recommend a good hors d’œuvre/finger food that could survive an hour long trip?

I was thinking of doing some fried plantains with some kinda dipping sauce but not sure if they'd still be good after an hour or so.

Boomp.

I'm having plantains at a dinner tonight so I think that might be out.

Thinking maybe some good delta grind grits in cheese, maybe a nice roux to top it off with.

ed

Or maybe not. Dunno. That would require more re heating than the host would like maybe.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Boomp.

I'm having plantains at a dinner tonight so I think that might be out.

Thinking maybe some good delta grind grits in cheese, maybe a nice roux to top it off with.

ed

Or maybe not. Dunno. That would require more re heating than the host would like maybe.
Spring rolls or samosas.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hookay, so I have me here a meat grinder that I found in my grandpa's attic. Far as I can tell it isn't worth much, but I haven't tried grinding any meat out of it. It's badass, I wanna grind some meat, but before I ruin a nice steak or two I'm wondering if anyone here's used anything similar.

Ha, cute read here about the manufacturer: http://www.toaster.org/landers.html

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 12, 2012

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012
Last night, I made steak. I baked it in a Gibson's Whiskey/Butter/Peppercorn Sauce that I thought of off the top of my head. It was really tasty, but was also really rich. Is there any way I could reduce the sauce a little bit? Or something of the sort? Maybe instead of butter, I could use something else? I'd like some suggestions.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a book you guys would recommend that specializes on making pasta sauce?

I know I could probably google most of it, but I'd like to have it pre-organized in a book.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Um. Look, I think what you're lookin for is a good Italian cookbook. Pasta dishes are more than just [starchy product, sauce] tuples. Italians talk about "seasoning" pasta (condire), with whatever one has prepared beforehand, be it just plain olive oil or a big, heavy ragù stuffed with meat. Seeing as how pasta products form a backbone of Italian cuisine from the Alps to the South I think a good, concise Italian cookbook would serve you well. There's several to choose from, I don't really have any that cover all of Italy myself. Shop around a bit.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Hey guys, I made the slow cooker pork (the usual stupid easy one), but I had to use a 7.7 lb piece, so I let it go for nearly double the time to be safe. However some of the meat is still a little pink. I don't know if it's underdone or if it's as a smoker does, so what should I do? Slap the shredded product in an oven for 10 minutes?

edit: I would be surprised if it wasn't thorughly cooked. I pulled on the bone slightly to reposition the meat so I could take out and the whole thing just collapsed into a pile of delicious dead animal. I just want to be sure.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 12, 2012

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Its fine, pork just tends to have a pink hue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Here's another quick food safety question from me, but I'm 99% sure I know the answer already, just want to check:

If I make a three layer cake and one of those layers is a baked cheesecake, it still needs to be stored in the fridge, right?

Thanks!

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sjurygg posted:

Um. Look, I think what you're lookin for is a good Italian cookbook. Pasta dishes are more than just [starchy product, sauce] tuples. Italians talk about "seasoning" pasta (condire), with whatever one has prepared beforehand, be it just plain olive oil or a big, heavy ragù stuffed with meat. Seeing as how pasta products form a backbone of Italian cuisine from the Alps to the South I think a good, concise Italian cookbook would serve you well. There's several to choose from, I don't really have any that cover all of Italy myself. Shop around a bit.

Yeah, guilty as charged. Making Pasta for me is basically combining bland stuff with good stuff. I figured sauce is the one thing I can improve on, since making dough is a bit too :effort:

Italian cookbook it is, I guess.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, guilty as charged. Making Pasta for me is basically combining bland stuff with good stuff. I figured sauce is the one thing I can improve on, since making dough is a bit too :effort:

Italian cookbook it is, I guess.

Silver spoon

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Here's another quick food safety question from me, but I'm 99% sure I know the answer already, just want to check:

If I make a three layer cake and one of those layers is a baked cheesecake, it still needs to be stored in the fridge, right?

Thanks!

Yes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Hey guys, I made the slow cooker pork (the usual stupid easy one), but I had to use a 7.7 lb piece, so I let it go for nearly double the time to be safe. However some of the meat is still a little pink. I don't know if it's underdone or if it's as a smoker does, so what should I do? Slap the shredded product in an oven for 10 minutes?

edit: I would be surprised if it wasn't thorughly cooked. I pulled on the bone slightly to reposition the meat so I could take out and the whole thing just collapsed into a pile of delicious dead animal. I just want to be sure.

Braised meat can keep colour, if it was easy to pull you're fine. You can always check with a thermometer to be sure.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey GWS, quick question: can I cook multiple things in an oven, and of so, how do I accommodate different times and temps? Like, since I only have one oven, but would like to have pizza, pigs in a blanket, and cheesecake soapapillas (some Pilsbury bastardization), all come out at once, or close to it, how would/could I do it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

you eat the mint leaf after! it's a far classier after dinner mint if you dont want to do an actual mignardise. (had a chef who did a mint leaf on every dessert, this was how I justified it to myself so I could keep putting mint onto plates that had nothing to do with mint.)

re: the rest of plating convo: there are some good posts in the dinners thread, and a lot of ICSAs have some good stuff in them too. Nicer restaurants will have some pictures of plated food online. I actually asked the same question a while ago and never really found any resources specifically dedicated to food plating aesthetics. Some more general stuff I've picked up (although I do consider my plating the thing I need to work on the most still)

-negative space. super important. don't fill up the plate, and if the plate has a rim, dont squeezebottle sauce or sprinkle herbs all over it. just like a painting or a photograph empty space helps focus you in on the thing, and makes it stand out from the rest of the world. this is also why 99% of places use white plates.
-don't put things on the plate that you can't/shouldn't eat, and like the convo above, don't put something on the plate that has nothing to do with the dish jut because it looks pretty.
-this is probably more of a "trend" type thing than a hard rule but tall food is visually striking. Making your plate tall by stacking elements also helps preserve some of the negative space mentioned above. I don't mean literally stacking everything like a jenga tower, but in the classic goon dinner of steak mashed potato and asparagus you can put the mound of mashed potato just off center of the plate, lean the asparagus on the potato diagonally across the plate and drape the steak over the whole thing leaving the heads of the asparagus exposed. you can see all the food, the steak is lifted towards the diner and showing off your awesome crust/grill marks, there's room to dribble sauce around if youre into that, but the food is highlighted by a ring of clean white plate.

Hellfire99 posted:

Last night, I made steak. I baked it in a Gibson's Whiskey/Butter/Peppercorn Sauce that I thought of off the top of my head. It was really tasty, but was also really rich. Is there any way I could reduce the sauce a little bit? Or something of the sort? Maybe instead of butter, I could use something else? I'd like some suggestions.

In general, "reducing" a sauce makes it more rich, by evaporating water. If it was overall too fatty, try subbing cream for the butter next time. If that's still too fatty for you swap the cream for whole milk. If you just wanted to lighten up the flavor of the sauce a bit try a splash of white or red wine vinegar or maybe a squeeze of lemon juice

Braised meat can keep colour, if it was easy to pull you're fine. You can always check with a thermometer to be sure.

I've had someone send back 14-hour braised beef shortribs because "they were medium and he wanted them well done"

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pile of brown posted:

I've had someone send back 14-hour braised beef shortribs because "they were medium rare and he wanted them well done"

I've had that happen lots of times. :(

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Getting a proper thermometer was a big revelation for me. I never have to poke or squeeze or cut open or compare colours or whatever to tell if something is finished cooking - I just get the temp and I know instantly. The only tough part was getting used to finding the 'right spot' (the coolest spot) to measure.

I also had some fun seeing in real time (yay Thermapen) how fast a pot of water or oil goes down in temperature when you add food. It really made me think about how much food I was adding at a time and the impact it was having on the cooking process. I cook things in smaller batches now and have much better results.

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012
I've noticed that too with a pot of boiling water. Putting in some pasta will make the water stop boiling. or putting a lot of liquid into a pan will cool off the pan. Would that apply to baking in an oven as well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hellfire99 posted:

I've noticed that too with a pot of boiling water. Putting in some pasta will make the water stop boiling. or putting a lot of liquid into a pan will cool off the pan. Would that apply to baking in an oven as well?

Just opening the oven does it. Hot air comes out, cold air goes in. That's why you're not supposed to open the oven frequently to check on things cooking within. It's also why the simple act of basting your turkey can add an hour or more to roasting time.

On my oven, you can actually see the temperature change by turning the oven off and then back on immediately, at which point the digital display will show the current oven temp as it heats up again.

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012

pile of brown posted:

In general, "reducing" a sauce makes it more rich, by evaporating water. If it was overall too fatty, try subbing cream for the butter next time. If that's still too fatty for you swap the cream for whole milk. If you just wanted to lighten up the flavor of the sauce a bit try a splash of white or red wine vinegar or maybe a squeeze of lemon juice

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to try with a light cream next time; and some lemon. Also, do you think it would make a good marinade? Or would it be better as a sauce baked on?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Hellfire99 posted:

I've noticed that too with a pot of boiling water. Putting in some pasta will make the water stop boiling. or putting a lot of liquid into a pan will cool off the pan.
It's why you use a lot more water than (you would think you) need. The larger volume of water retains its heat much better when it is infiltrated by the food.

quote:

Would that apply to baking in an oven as well?
Not as much as just opening the door. You lose (I'm guessing) 20 or 30 degrees when you open the door.
The food takes up some of the space that you previously had to heat though, whereas in the water, the medium that was being heated doesn't decrease -it just gets displaced.
If you could teleport food into the oven, I bet it would be almost a push. If it was a completely airtight space, actually I bet the temperature would go up slightly because of the increase in pressure.

I don't even preheat my oven any more *, except for the incidental time from when I turn the oven on while I'm finishing prep. I have a light in there, and a thermometer that gets closed in the door, so between those two things I only ever will open the door if I have to move or rotate something.

*Except heating my pizza stone. There are other exceptions, like baking, of which I don't do much. I'm talking about roasting.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Yeh, once I pulled it apart I totally figured things out.

I did actually reach for my thermometer at first, but it's gone to the big kitchen in the sky and stuck in some kind of selection mode (which is odd since it only has an on-off switch). Guess it's time to get a new one that isn't $5!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hellfire99 posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to try with a light cream next time; and some lemon. Also, do you think it would make a good marinade? Or would it be better as a sauce baked on?

If you find the sauce too rich, just use less of it. A tiny amount goes a long way.

It doesn't really have many of the components that make a good marinade, I wouldn't bother, something acidic or something that provides an enzymatic breakdown will do better. What cut of beef are you using? Most things that you would call steak don't need to be marinated.

Why are you baking a steak in a creamy stock reduction sauce? You could try cooking it by broiling or by searing it in a stainless steel pan to get a good crust on it and then just finishing it with a very small amount of sauce on the plate.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ChetReckless posted:

Getting a proper thermometer was a big revelation for me. I never have to poke or squeeze or cut open or compare colours or whatever to tell if something is finished cooking - I just get the temp and I know instantly. The only tough part was getting used to finding the 'right spot' (the coolest spot) to measure.

This is the exact opposite of how I feel you should tell if something is cooked. Am I a hopeless Luddite?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Scientastic posted:

This is the exact opposite of how I feel you should tell if something is cooked. Am I a hopeless Luddite?

You're just a more confident cook than I am. Also, I cook for my girlfriend and our son and neither one of them will look at meat they think has even a remote possibility of being undercooked.

I think there is something satisfying about being familiar enough with what you're cooking to know when its cooked exactly how you want by engaging with it. I still appreciate being able to know (and just as importantly in my house, prove) the food is safe, however.

edit - I make espresso with a digital scale and a timer and thermometer a lot, so I also just like nerding out over things sometimes.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 12, 2012

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012
It was just something I tried on-the-spot. It started with the steak, which was kind of cheap. So I decided that I would bake it rather than fry it in a pan (My condo association doesn't allow BBQ's) Second, was the Gibson's. I seen it up there on the shelf and wanted to somehow make a whisky sauce to bake my steak in. I needed something to mix with the Gibson's, so I used a tablespoon of butter. I enjoy creating new things, even if its a fail or disgusting. lol

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I think there is something satisfying about being familiar enough with what you're cooking to know when its cooked exactly how you want by engaging with it.

When I was younger, working in restaurants, I used to be able to tell when a steak was done by how plump and juicy it was; with a margin for error of course.

Now... is a little bit different. I've been trying to get back into cooking. Eating out has dulled my proper ability to cook well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Thanks!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just opening the oven does it. Hot air comes out, cold air goes in. That's why you're not supposed to open the oven frequently to check on things cooking within. It's also why the simple act of basting your turkey can add an hour or more to roasting time.

On my oven, you can actually see the temperature change by turning the oven off and then back on immediately, at which point the digital display will show the current oven temp as it heats up again.

Yup, absolutely. This is totally obvious if you ever cook a batch of naan bread on your pizza stone. The first one will finish with 30 seconds on each side, by the time you get to the 6th one, the door has been opened and closed so many times it takes 2 minutes a side :(

(I totally should have thought that through and cooked the naan 10 minutes earlier, and let the stone re-heat in between breads)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I've had that happen lots of times. :(

I realise its an unusual question but how do you deal with this? Just throw it in the microwave for a while?