Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Does anyone think/have experience with/ evidence if having a dog sleep in the same room as you makes them too attached or at risk of separation anxiety? I'd actually be fine with having Bailey in my room, but I've never done it because I don't want him to become overly clingy (and he can alert me if someone comes in while I'm sleeping).
All my dogs sleep in the bedroom. Pi likes to sleep on the bed, Rho likes to sleep under the bed (or on the couch in the living room) and the puppy sleeps wherever. None have separation anxiety issues and they're all ok with sleeping in another room if need be. The biggest problem with allowing dogs in the bedroom has been difficulty turning around in bed at night because of a sleepy Pi next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

notsowelp posted:

I thought this was an interesting blogpost (from the desertwindhounds blog)

Thoughts? (And yeah this is buttsoape LONG STORY DONT ASK)

I want to marry this post. Especially the "pet people are like fanboys who have no concept of how 'responsible breeders' actually function behind the scenes" part.

I'm p sure I'm never gonna breed my dog because I don't really like the way his temperament turned out (too much :qq: ) and I don't really care about neutering him because he doesn't do any gross male dog stuff that pisses me off. I used to be a crazy lady that yelled about neutering everything, forever, and now I don't care because I just really don't care. I think the statement that unaltered dogs develop more complex personalities is true and it's something I've also anecdotaly observed, and right now my opinion on neutering everything that isn't going to be bred is "well, go ahead, if you want," but I personally don't really see the point if the dog doesn't act like a hormonal rear end in a top hat and make your life hard. The only way it has made my life difficult thus far is that pet mommies and rescue ladies shriek at me to "QUIT BREEDIN MORE PITS" when I go places, due to the fact that (as stated by that blog post) intact = bred irl now. v:v:v

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Thanks for thoughts on having dogs sleep in the bedroom- I might give it a try and see how I like it, but I don't think he'll be allowed on to the bed just yet. When he gets up there if I'm lounging around he takes up a lot of space and is a sensitive sally about bumping into him. I think it'd be nice to have him closer and maybe my family members will stop getting all :qq: about the fact the dog sleeps in the crate (the only time he's ever crated).

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
~Artisanal~ breeding is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

Yeah that whole bit was retarded but I'm p on board with the rest

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I would never, ever want to live with eleven intact bitches - imagine the nightmare of upholstery stains and loose dogs on walks. That alone makes me question the writer's sanity.

Asstro Van posted:

It's the "put a bird on it" of dog breeding.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

demozthenes posted:

I would never, ever want to live with eleven intact bitches - imagine the nightmare of upholstery stains and loose dogs on walks. That alone makes me question the writer's sanity.

It's the "put a bird on it" of dog breeding.

I don't think I'd want to live with 11 dogs, period. But a lot of that stuff can be handled pretty easily.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

See I've never owned a bitch (aside from 2 I grew up with, but they were family dogs that I didn't pay attention to so whatever) so maybe it seems less crazy to me because male dogs are less of a problem

Like, a couple of my dogs were neutered p late, and Moses is still intact at almost 3, and I have never had issues with marking or crazy boy dog stuff or anything, soooo

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Eva's only been through one heat but really, it wasn't bad at all. Just slap some panties on her and that's it. Angus continually tried to hump the poo poo out of her but apart from that She wasn't any different than her usual self. Perhaps a tad more clingy. I'm sure if Angus were intact it would have been a much bigger pain in the rear end.

Angus intact was a nightmare of epic proportions. He humped everything in sight, pissed on everything and had the worst attitude ever. I was completely unprepared for that in my first dog and neutered him earlier than I think I would now.

I'd choose an intact bitch over an intact male in the future based on my limited experiences with Angus and Eva but I think it all depends on the dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

That's so weird, I wonder why my intact males have always been so not-a-problem. Maybe I'm just used to them and don't notice. They definitely don't mark indoors though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I think I jinxed myself by posting about Husker crying :( This morning after I fed him I went back to bed, and he wouldn't come back up the stairs...so he just stood at the bottom and whined loudly for an hour. I've been pretty under the weather, so I really needed that extra sleep.

I'm worried he's having some joint pain, because he's been refusing the stairs every so often over the last few days, and it's been cold and damp here. Poor pup. Probably time for a vet visit.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

That's so weird, I wonder why my intact males have always been so not-a-problem. Maybe I'm just used to them and don't notice. They definitely don't mark indoors though.
Rho went through a brief period of marking inside but only when we were visiting a home with intact female dogs living there. I told him no a couple of times and made sure to supervise him a lot. It quickly went away. I think marking inside and especially inappropriate humping can be a huge issue if you don't nip it in the bud. It's not hard to deal with when you're raising a puppy, but if humping or marking has become an established behavior for whatever reason, training it out can be painful. For example shortly after we took him home Sukka the puppy tried to hump my leg maybe three times. I told him no and redirected his attention and I'm fairly sure he won't try again. This also happened with both of the Lapponians when they were growing up and neither had issues with humping.

Overall, I don't think keeping an intact dog is that much of an issue. I personally wouldn't want to have an intact bitch as a pet/sports dog, but I guess I'd get used to it. It also depends a lot on the dog how bad the false pregnancies etc. get. Then again since the differences between female dogs can be huge in this respect, I suppose that is true for male dogs as well, no matter how well you train them?

Edit. In a way, I really like the blog post notsoape posted. From my point of view, it's perfectly normal not to alter healthy dogs if you choose not to. Toward the end it does come a tad too close to my most-hated dog-related fallacy ever: "You can't comment on breeding practices unless you have bred n litters yourself."

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 12, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If people were smart with their intact animals I would have far less of a problem with people owning intact animals.

Responsible dog owners are awesome. They monitor the cycles, they ensure isolation, they bring in for small things...

And then we have the people who breed an 8yo small dog for the first time. Or the people who found out their dog was pregnant when she went into labor and required a c-section. Or the people who come in about a week before due date of a deliberate pregnancy and ask me what happens in dog birth because they don't know - and then refuse x-ray or ultrasound to check on the pups because they don't have the money. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Edit: Oh, I had forgot to mention about that 8yo dog. They called first to ask if it was okay. I said no. They did it anyway.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Honestly, the reasons to neuter a male dog are all behavioral. If you don't have problems with those behaviors (marking, impregnating the neighbor's dog, and escaping the yard to chase females and getting hit by a car in the process being the biggest ones), then I can understand not neutering. If they develop prostate disease when they get older, there may be a medical reason to neuter them then, but otherwise, the benefits to the dog are small.

For females, it's a whole different story because the risks are less annoying and more medical. There's the increased risk of mammary cancer (not all intact females will be affected, but the risk is still there and greater than in dogs spayed young), pregnancy intended or not and its inherent risks, and pyometra. Some of these risks can be minimized by responsible owners, especially if they have the money for vet bills. I've had a traumatic last couple of days in the world of reproductive medicine, though, so my current opinion is that if you don't have at least $1000 readily available for c-section or pyo surgery, or don't have it and are prepared to euthanize instead, your dog should be spayed.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

SuperTwo posted:

Eva's only been through one heat but really, it wasn't bad at all. Just slap some panties on her and that's it.

When my parents got the family dog, my mom was in the "spay after the first heat" camp. Unfortunately, our dog was in the "rip the stupid dog diaper off and leave shreds of dog-menses-stained diaper filling all over the beige upholstered sofa, oh boy why is that huge neighborhood dog running toward us? This is so exciting!!" camp.

Never again. I would never hack it as a breeder. And cats in heat? No. Personally I wouldn't care if nobody ever fixed their pets as long as they didn't do anything stupid like letting them carry accidental litters to term or not taking their bitch to the e-vet when her uterus fills with pus, but for pet owners there seem to be way more drawbacks and pains-in-the-rear end when you have an intact dog than a fixed one.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

demozthenes posted:

When my parents got the family dog, my mom was in the "spay after the first heat" camp. Unfortunately, our dog was in the "rip the stupid dog diaper off and leave shreds of dog-menses-stained diaper filling all over the beige upholstered sofa, oh boy why is that huge neighborhood dog running toward us? This is so exciting!!" camp.

Never again. I would never hack it as a breeder. And cats in heat? No. Personally I wouldn't care if nobody ever fixed their pets as long as they didn't do anything stupid like letting them carry accidental litters to term or not taking their bitch to the e-vet when her uterus fills with pus, but for pet owners there seem to be way more drawbacks and pains-in-the-rear end when you have an intact dog than a fixed one.

:gonk: oh god. Am I glad my dog is a boy. My brother and his gf got a dog when they moved in together, a little pomeranian named Ginger. She menstruated before he could get her spayed, and he called up late at night in a panic because he thought something was terribly wrong with her. :v:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Mouse is like 18 months old now and still hasn't had a heat. The perks of owning sighthounds :smug:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ugh, about seven years ago when I adopted Genevieve as a kitten she was super sick and needed a lot of meds/recovery, so spaying right away wasn't really an option. Time passed in the blink of an eye (as it tends to do) and pretty soon she was a year old and still hadn't had her first heat, so we didn't stress it. She was very small but the vet gave her a clean bill of health and we all just figured she was developing slowly because of her previous illness. Then my roommate found a tiny black and white kitten in the middle of the Mojave Desert and brought her home. She couldn't have been more than two months old and was raggedy as poo poo, so we nursed her to good health and right at the three month mark: BAM. Heat. We couldn't loving believe it. Within six hours of this new kitten going into heat Genevieve's little body suddenly went "wait, what" and HER heat began, too. Two cats, both in heat.

Misery.

So, yeah. Props to those of you who can responsibly deal with and like intact animals, but it's just not for me and my fuzzballs.

Edit: After the heat/spay went down she went into hyperdrive and is now a normal-sized cat. Her fur also grew three inches. It was like a little switch went off in her body, like human puberty.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 12, 2012

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

notsowelp posted:

Mouse is like 18 months old now and still hasn't had a heat. The perks of owning sighthounds :smug:

My dog hasn't bled all over the furniture ... yet. That's what you're calling a perk? Yeah dogs own especially unfixed ones. :rolleyes:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

notsowelp posted:

Are sighthounds the dog world's equivalent of runway models and gymnasts in that they are so skinny that they just never get around to menstruating?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

El Gar posted:

My dog hasn't bled all over the furniture ... yet. That's what you're calling a perk? Yeah dogs own especially unfixed ones. :rolleyes:

Thissss is pretty much why both my girls are spayed. Rats in heat are annoying enough, never mind dogs.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

El Gar posted:

i literally spent $2000 on a cat

What kind of a name is "El Gar" anyway :rolleyes:

And yup demo, they've such low bodyfat that their seasons can be very late onset and highly irregular thereafter :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Hey notsowelp speaking of sighthounds, how is Mouse doing?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I don't even like my own period, much less a dog's.

Letting Keeper have balls for the months it took until an appointment opened up was really no different one way or the other than Keeper now, but I still wouldn't enjoy people lumping me in with the stereotype of unfixed dog owners and/or asking me to breed to him.

I'm not really in agreement with the article. I think it's all your own choice and whatever, but dog cancer is definitely a thing, and if a bitch is not going to be bred, why have the risk? Different with male dogs, obviously, but I can't get behind justifying dog cancer risks or having 11 in-heat bitches setting each other off all at once. Not my personal cup of tea.

Spay it, don't spray it.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Captain Foxy posted:

I don't even like my own period, much less a dog's.

Letting Keeper have balls for the months it took until an appointment opened up was really no different one way or the other than Keeper now, but I still wouldn't enjoy people lumping me in with the stereotype of unfixed dog owners and/or asking me to breed to him.

I'm not really in agreement with the article. I think it's all your own choice and whatever, but dog cancer is definitely a thing, and if a bitch is not going to be bred, why have the risk? Different with male dogs, obviously, but I can't get behind justifying dog cancer risks or having 11 in-heat bitches setting each other off all at once. Not my personal cup of tea.

Spay it, don't spray it.

This. Why put my animals through the horrors of the reproductive cycle without even offsetting it with the bonus of sex? Having seen male dogs' determination to get at a bitch in heat, I'd say in many cases it's downright cruel to leave them with the strong biological imperative to breed and impede them from doing so, when you could just eliminate it altogether.

But whatevz, my animals were all fixed before I got them, but I would have gotten it done if they weren't because a) ballz are gross, and b) female ferrets that aren't bred get aplastic anemia because they never come out of heat and DIE.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Dr. Chaco posted:

Some of these risks can be minimized by responsible owners, especially if they have the money for vet bills. I've had a traumatic last couple of days in the world of reproductive medicine, though, so my current opinion is that if you don't have at least $1000 readily available for c-section or pyo surgery, or don't have it and are prepared to euthanize instead, your dog should be spayed.
Avoiding c-section is easy. Pyometra is another matter. I'm glad neither surgery regularly runs quite that high, as far as price goes, over here.

Having owned both intact dogs and bitches and having bred some I agree with at least most of the blog post quoted on page 109. I'm glad we have an often used placement under breeding terms contract, which can be and is used by responsible breeders to reduce the number of dogs at home via placing them at homes with the ability to use said dogs for breeding by the age of four (for females) or five (for males). I for instance have placed six bitches (dobs 2004-2008), have wanted to use 2 of them and have managed to get a litter out of one of them. I currently have one 1,5yr old female placed under breeding terms and for now it actually seems like I might end up breeding her.

As far as my own pack goes I've had two dogs fixed so far. A male at the age of 11,5 due to a benign testicular tumor and a healthy female at the age of 4,5yrs, because I thought having her spayed would be good for her and better for our hobbies (obedience & agility) as one can't compete with a bitch in heat. What I ended up with was a unresolvable situation between the spayed bitch, who got just a bit more aggressive as a result of the spay, and my intact Naru. I ended up giving up the older dog as I knew she would be easier to place permanently, which was indeed easy. She went for a trial run with a couple in their seventies, (who were too old for a puppy, but wanted a dog for their old farm after losing their 14yr old golden retriever,) and ended up winning them over before the agreed upon trial period was over. She's still fine with most dogs and never had any issues with Healy. Currently I have three intact bitches at home and don't find it a hardship at all. As long as I remember their panties spotting is not an issue and they don't have access to any furniture that would be hard to clean, so it's not a problem even when I forget them. I might remember it better, if forgetting had worse consequences, but most likely I'd just temporarily cover any such furniture or restrict their access to such furniture during their heat. Only thing which is a little annoying is the fact that I often need to treat Healy with Galastop (cabergoline) due to her false pregnancy causing her to be unworkable in search practice. If we did only obedience it wouldn't even be an issue.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Serella posted:

This. Why put my animals through the horrors of the reproductive cycle without even offsetting it with the bonus of sex? Having seen male dogs' determination to get at a bitch in heat, I'd say in many cases it's downright cruel to leave them with the strong biological imperative to breed and impede them from doing so, when you could just eliminate it altogether.

Get a pitbull. A lot of the time they hate other dogs so much they have no desire to breed. :smug:

Moses was interested in bitches until he was a little over a year, and has lost interest in them as he's matured and become less dog tolerant. Same with the two I had who were neutered at about 2 yrs. Everyone went nuts about :byodame:RAPE STANDZ:byodame: during the whole Michael Vick thing, but breeding stands are pretty standard for hotter dogs because it would never occur to them to do anything to another dog besides eat it.

Lol ~specialty breedz~

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Riiseli posted:

Avoiding c-section is easy.

It's not quite as easy as one might think. Yes, if you breed English Bulldogs you're asking for it, but there are plenty of pregnancies that go bad unpredictably or unpreventably. Are you going to tell all the little dogs to have at least 3 puppies so that they don't make one with a skull too big to pass? The last c-section I did, one of the puppies was deformed and bloated, making it too big to come out without surgery.

I'm sure the majority of canine and feline births go quite uneventfully, and I just see the problem cases (at least one every month where I work). Still, it's awfully sad when the dramatic cases happen and no one was prepared, financially or emotionally, for that possibility.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
No need to worry if your Pit has no desire to breed - the first asexually reproducing dog is here, and he's splitting in two before our very eyes!

Seriously, when this dog inevitably dies at 6 years old from complications of being a genetic abomination, I'd REALLY like to see what it's skull looks like.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 13, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Azrael Alexander posted:

No need to worry if your Pit has no desire to breed - the first asexually reproducing dog is here, and he's splitting in two before our very eyes!

Oh god. Oh god that can't be real :gonk:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

Seriously, when this dog inevitably dies at 6 years old from complications of being a genetic abomination, I'd REALLY like to see what it's skull looks like.

This is an achievement. I'm not even mad.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Husker's fine, he's just decided he's afraid of that staircase after Nibbler tripped him yesterday. :rolleyes: He doesn't care about the other stairs in my house at all. We've got him gated upstairs so he doesn't strand himself in the sunken living room, and he's not happy about it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow and I did the Halloween parade again this year with the shelter I volunteer for. He was so very good. :3: Since he's bombproof I walked him along the edge of the crowd and let all the kids come out and pet him as we walked by. Dog must have gotten pets from like a hundred kids. Occasionally he would stop and suck up to them for some extra lovin'. I gave him many pieces of cheese during the whole thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

All of a sudden Bailey's either got a rash (or managed to irritate himself) on the skin near his old, healed umbilical hernia. He's not so irritated by it that he can't sleep, but he won't stop scratching at it when he's up and about. Its only in that one area and he's up to date on his flea and tick preventative. I'm hoping to but some sort of topical anti-itch cream on it tomorrow, just to see if it'll clear up if he doesn't irritate it worse.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Serella posted:

But whatevz, my animals were all fixed before I got them, but I would have gotten it done if they weren't because a) ballz are gross, and b) female ferrets that aren't bred get aplastic anemia because they never come out of heat and DIE.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time keeping an intact animal that I have no plans on breeding, though it could be in part because I used to know a stallion who was never bred or collected and he'd self-mutilate if mares were brought near his stall and that kind of traumatized me. I'm also very aware that most of them might not really care.

Mostly I don't care either as long as the owners are responsible about it. Which usually isn't the case where I'm from so in real life if some random person asked me my opinion I'd be like NEUTER THEM ALL!! but I know a lot of intact working and sport dogs and it doesn't bother me.

Azrael Alexander posted:

I am pretty sure I am going to have nightmares about this dog tonight.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

2tomorrow posted:

Mostly I don't care either as long as the owners are responsible about it. Which usually isn't the case where I'm from so in real life if some random person asked me my opinion I'd be like NEUTER THEM ALL!! but I know a lot of intact working and sport dogs and it doesn't bother me.

I mean, this, for sure. I'm at the zen point of my animal sperg evolution. I know that even when people solicit advice or information on animals, they very rarely listen, so it's not worth getting worked up about.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

Dr. Chaco posted:

It's not quite as easy as one might think.
Oh, yes it is. Keep your female indoors or on a short leash at all times during the heat and it is very much possible to avoid a c-section. And if there is an accident you'll know about it as you've witnessed it and can go for an ultrasound and aglepristone shot, if your dog has indeed conceived.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Riiseli posted:

Oh, yes it is. Keep your female indoors or on a short leash at all times during the heat and it is very much possible to avoid a c-section. And if there is an accident you'll know about it as you've witnessed it and can go for an ultrasound and aglepristone shot, if your dog has indeed conceived.

Well, I think that Chaco means when you breed a bitch you can't really say that you will 100% avoid c-section, to be fair.

Anyway my philosophy is spay bitches before 3rd heat if you have no chance of breeding them, but if you are not sure and they get past #3 I'd pretty much say don't bother but keep an eye out for pyometra and monitor for poo poo like false pregnancy and be responsible. v:shobon:v

btw I want a Karpat jersey where can I get one shipped to the US? :v:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Well, I think that Chaco means when you breed a bitch you can't really say that you will 100% avoid c-section, to be fair.

btw I want a Karpat jersey where can I get one shipped to the US? :v:
Yeah. I guess I guessed as much after the second post. My answer was meant to clarify, where I was coming from saying it's easy to prevent, because it is, if you keep an eye on your dog.

Who do they have Jason Demers and Kyle Turris? I suppose you could contact their merchandise vendor at karppakauppa(at)newwave.fi or even the front office at toimisto(at)oulunkarpat.fi and I'd guess even twitter might be a good place to start https://twitter.com/oulunkarpatfi (although their twitter is a bit... so e-mail is probably the better option).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Oh hey did someone mention Michael Vick? Cause the humane society let him have a new dog.

I hate this stupid world.

• Locked thread