Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Supposedly you can get botox injections, though if cost is your issue I doubt it will be a possibility, since you have to get them every blah blah blah months, etc.

edit: my brother just said Maxim is a godsend for sweaty pitted folks like himself. So check out "Maxim Presription Strength Antiperspirant & Deodorant."

Do you think it's available at a pharmacy or something, or would I have to order it online? Where does your brother get it from?

Also I'm... not gonna wear sanitary pads under my arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Synonymous posted:

Do you think it's available at a pharmacy or something, or would I have to order it online? Where does your brother get it from?

This seems to be a homepage, hopefully it's not a scampage. So you can order on-line, at the very least. I've never seen it in a pharmacy, but then again I'm not from the USA :v:

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 12, 2012

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

tarepanda posted:

Talk to the ladies.

Hopefully I'll have the chance to do that next week. A reply to an email this morning was signed with Namaste, which surprised me, but I take that as a good sign, in conjunction with the below.

Moscow Mule posted:

Can you find out what particular organization they're affiliated with? I might be able to give some general information if I know that. There's probably 10 major ones with pretty similar names, including the Presbyterian Church in America (more conservative, smaller) and The Presbyterian Church USA (not as conservative but experiencing a lot of change & turmoil over issues like homosexuality).
Basically the term "Presbyterian" in general gives you an idea of their theology (usually Reformed) and their church government structure (er, presbyterian) but not much else.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Looks like they're affiliated with Presbyterian Church (USA). Reading through their theologies and the list of their stances on various social issues both enlightened and relieved me. I like that women can be ordained ministers, that they seem as close to pro-choice as they can be without directly stating it, that there's no outright condemnation of homosexuality, they advocate "responsible" drinking since you're gonna do it anyway, and then they hate guns. so. much. But I don't mind that either.
...it looks like the website covers most of what I was concerned about, but if you've got anything else to add, I'd appreciate it.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I sent out a package I sold (on eBay) from MA to somewhere in Indiana. It was priority mail, and everything else I sent out that day reached its destination around the same time yesterday. This package for some reason is now marked as "processed" through the San Bernadino, CA Post Office plant with no other updates yet. Is it normal for a small package to be shipped clear across the country before it reaches a fairly close state like Indiana, or is my buyer going to be angry and leave negative feedback when this package arrives sometime next month?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Yes, this is how you can get various products that include "Natural Vanilla Flavor", but the flavor comes from something like old oak tree branches.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with him or not. That would fall under natural because it's taken from the wood, not synthesized in a lab. Oak has a lot of vanillin in it, the principle flavor component of vanilla beans.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with him or not. That would fall under natural because it's taken from the wood, not synthesized in a lab. Oak has a lot of vanillin in it, the principle flavor component of vanilla beans.

I was agreeing with him, and that "Natural vanilla flavor" that comes from oak is a completely valid use of the term "Natural". Completely Legit.

I was just pointing out that the term "Natural" was not to be used to determine the quality of a product by itself, and especially not in this context. I wouldn't want to pay for "Oak" if I'm shopping for Vanilla.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
How long after eating bad ground beef do you start to feel bad?

Also if I had some airtight sealed Trader Joe's ground beef chilling in the refrigerator for about 5 days, but the label has a FREEZE BY date that's still another 5 days away, it should be okay right?

Upon popping the seal with a knife, there was a brief smell with the air being expelled but only a slight meaty smell lingers (it's not like a bad smell or anything, I'm just not use to noticing a smell on my ground beef.)

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 12, 2012

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If it smells fine it is fine. You will know when meat has gone bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2296
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=915

Basically there was a thread and everyone who posted in the thread got a name change. Although I think for the Dr. Video Games ones it wasn't by choice.

Posting in the thread was always a choice, although it wasn't obvious what would happen if you did. It was a couple of years ago in the now-closed YCS forum; at its height there were around 160 holders of video game doctorates.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Synonymous posted:

Certain Dri is another option - it's a roll-on liquid that you put on the night before and last a day or two. You can still use your regular deodorant the next day. It's the OTC version of Drysol, which has a higher concentration of the same chemical. You'll need a prescription for it, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Synonymous posted:

Amazon's got it:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Prescription-Strength-Antiperspirant-Deodorant/dp/B0014DQLN2/

Feedback seems a bit mixed though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I'm planning on getting an iPod soon, but I'm having trouble deciding what ipod I want. The burning question on my mind is: If I don't have a data plan, can I still use the internet on an iPod touch in a place with Wi-fi?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yes. Wifi is just wireless; if you have access to a wireless router, you can use wifi.

I don't think any iPods come with cell connections anyway, so it shouldn't be a worry at all unless you want an iPhone.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

tarepanda posted:

Yes. Wifi is just wireless; if you have access to a wireless router, you can use wifi.

I don't think any iPods come with cell connections anyway, so it shouldn't be a worry at all unless you want an iPhone.

Touch it is, then. Thanks.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010
Someone who absolutely hates my guts is going to become a nurse soon. I know it's against the rules, but she is not above accessing my records if she can. My concern is, can a nurse access my records on a database? (I live in Ontario, Canada by the way) Most importantly, if she does this will she be caught? I can't find anything on this for Ontario, and I don't know how the system works or if its being monitored to prevent this kind of thing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What's up with "lemoncakes" and ASOIAF?

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Cruxxed Up posted:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Looks like they're affiliated with Presbyterian Church (USA). Reading through their theologies and the list of their stances on various social issues both enlightened and relieved me. I like that women can be ordained ministers, that they seem as close to pro-choice as they can be without directly stating it, that there's no outright condemnation of homosexuality, they advocate "responsible" drinking since you're gonna do it anyway, and then they hate guns. so. much. But I don't mind that either.
...it looks like the website covers most of what I was concerned about, but if you've got anything else to add, I'd appreciate it.

Looks like you got what you need. Attitudes can vary congregation to congregation but I think you'll be ok. :)

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Synonymous posted:

I sweat loads under my arms as a side effect of bupropion. I'll be stopping it in the next month or so, as my prescription runs out and I won't be eligible for the government subsidy any more, thus cannot afford the medication, but until then is there anything reasonable I can do to counteract this sweating bullshit?

It doesn't make any sort of body odor, I just get fuckin' soaked under my arms. I do use antiperspirant deoderant, but it obviously isn't enough.

Seconding Certain Dri. I used to be the world's most sweaty human. Now I apply this at night and don't even need to use regular antiperspirant during the day.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fart Jockey posted:

Someone who absolutely hates my guts is going to become a nurse soon. I know it's against the rules, but she is not above accessing my records if she can. My concern is, can a nurse access my records on a database? (I live in Ontario, Canada by the way) Most importantly, if she does this will she be caught? I can't find anything on this for Ontario, and I don't know how the system works or if its being monitored to prevent this kind of thing.

At least in America, yes, every time someone accesses someones medical records it is noted who is doing the accessing of who. This mostly comes up when dumb nurses pull up the records of people involved in famous incidents to see what was up and get fired for inappropriately accessing records.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gobbeldygook posted:

At least in America, yes, every time someone accesses someones medical records it is noted who is doing the accessing of who. This mostly comes up when dumb nurses pull up the records of people involved in famous incidents to see what was up and get fired for inappropriately accessing records.
Whether or not an electronic medical record (EMR) view is recorded depends on the EMR. Most in the US, remarkably, don't record views. With a name, date of birth and/or SSN I can see all of your medical history and no one will ever know I looked (at least all that's recorded in an EMR, old school paper stuff is harder to get and requests for those are generally recorded and need patient permission.)

For someone to get in trouble for inappropriately viewing a record someone else would have to actually bother to check who viewed that record and make the connection that the view was not ok.

I'm curious what's in this persons medical record that they're so worried about their soon-to-be nurse nemesis seeing.

randyest fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 13, 2012

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Farecoal posted:

What's up with "lemoncakes" and ASOIAF?

A Song of Ice and Fire is a book series by George R R Martin with an active forums community following the continued 'release' of the series. The last book took forever to come out, and the thread that follows it went kind of crazy over the years and filled with weird in-jokes (the infamous Bad Thread). One of these jokes is a reference to one of the characters enjoying 'lemoncakes', which comes up more often in the books than it has any right to.

NB : anyone with a Wild Cards tag is probably dead inside.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Revitalized posted:

How long after eating bad ground beef do you start to feel bad?

Also if I had some airtight sealed Trader Joe's ground beef chilling in the refrigerator for about 5 days, but the label has a FREEZE BY date that's still another 5 days away, it should be okay right?

Upon popping the seal with a knife, there was a brief smell with the air being expelled but only a slight meaty smell lingers (it's not like a bad smell or anything, I'm just not use to noticing a smell on my ground beef.)

Vacuum sealed beef is kept in an atmosphere of carbon monoxide to give it a particular red color customers have been conditioned to associate with freshness. While carbon monoxide itself is odorless, it might have been adulterated with some noxious odorants so that those exposed would know they are breathing a toxic gas.

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 13, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Xiahou Dun posted:

A Song of Ice and Fire is a book series by George R R Martin with an active forums community following the continued 'release' of the series. The last book took forever to come out, and the thread that follows it went kind of crazy over the years and filled with weird in-jokes (the infamous Bad Thread). One of these jokes is a reference to one of the characters enjoying 'lemoncakes', which comes up more often in the books than it has any right to.

I've read the books, but I've never noticed any overuse of "lemoncakes", so yeah. Thanks though.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010

randyest posted:

I'm curious what's in this persons medical record that they're so worried about their soon-to-be nurse nemesis seeing.

My record is more extensive than most people's, involving mental stuff. It's nothing embarrassing, its just personal and none of her business. While I deal with depression I've spent years trying to be normal and healthy, while this girl acts mental when its convenient for her. (threatening suicide to manipulate everyone around her) So while I've called her out on being crazy, I'd hate for her to look for dirt on me.

:/ Didn't mean to turn this into e/n

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Do any such businesses exist where you can rent a room that would have pretty much every musical instrument available in a major orchestra and you can just play/jam/toy around on them?

There's so many instruments I just want to go crazy on, even if only for a fleeting moment, but would not want to touch at any regular music store, and instrument rentals seem overkill for me.

I just want to bang on some timpanis, shred on a contrabass, or jam on a harp, if only for a day. :downs:

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Do any such businesses exist where you can rent a room that would have pretty much every musical instrument available in a major orchestra and you can just play/jam/toy around on them?

There's so many instruments I just want to go crazy on, even if only for a fleeting moment, but would not want to touch at any regular music store, and instrument rentals seem overkill for me.

I just want to bang on some timpanis, shred on a contrabass, or jam on a harp, if only for a day. :downs:

This sounds fantastic. Whenever I wander into a piano store, they look at me like I'm draped in soiled underpants and so I wander right back out. :saddowns:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Considering the cost of those instruments, I'm gonna be really surprised if the answer is yes. I could get a kidney for what my girlfriend's fiddle is worth, and it's sensitive enough she won't leave it alone in a car, let alone let someone she doesn't know touch it.

That said, maybe there is such a place and they just pay a mint in insurance. If there is, I'd love to try a cello.

ACatch22
Sep 23, 2012

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
Why can I see the thread: FYAD: John Cena would Never say "gently caress" in front of his son Fred. while using safari, but not while using chrome?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

ACatch22 posted:

Why can I see the thread: FYAD: John Cena would Never say "gently caress" in front of his son Fred. while using safari, but not while using chrome?

You can only see FYAD when logged in. If you aren't logged in with Chrome, that'd do it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was this building that you could see on some freeway in Southern California that had classic architecture. I believe it was Firestone related but I'm not positive about that. I feel like it was something I saw as a kid on the way to Northern California. Googling has not done well.

Anyone know what it is? A link to pictures would be helpful too!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Get a job at a music school, or college department.

In my experience, despite most students having their own instruments, places like this have huge cupboards full of instruments ranging from mundane to exotic.

You'd probably have to be good at your job and all, but opportunities to have a jam would come up. You'd probably have to work there a while to get a chance on everything.

Also you'd have to not break any of them (especially the first one you try!)

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Rick posted:

There was this building that you could see on some freeway in Southern California that had classic architecture. I believe it was Firestone related but I'm not positive about that. I feel like it was something I saw as a kid on the way to Northern California. Googling has not done well.

Anyone know what it is? A link to pictures would be helpful too!

You're not talking about Hearst Castle, are you? Longshot but that's all I can think of, it's been a long time since I've been to California. Casa itself is not what I'd call classical, but the property does have classical elements.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Oh, yeah, I guess it's not Classic architecture but I think the Winchester Mansion is by a freeway before you hit San Francisco. Just in case you're remembering or identifying wrong?

Also, college music department is an awesome suggestion. I used to sneak into the practice rooms and play piano even though I didn't have any business in that department, and the nuns down the hall probably would have let me try other things after I earned their trust/they got sick enough of hearing the same three songs I knew then over and over.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Is the Hearst Castle the one where you can pull over on the side of the road and see a field against a hill and then I think trees, with most of the building not able to be seen? In the foreground are horses, zebras and maybe some other exotic wildlife?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Whats this whole "new page" thing on the forums? i quite often see it in threads, mainly the ones with pictures.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
While users can change the number of posts per page, most seem to keep the default setting. In a content-heavy thread like PYF gifs, people might feel obliged to post content when a new page comes up.

I like it. It's a quirky, friendly and self-conscious bit of netiquette. Even goons on the internet naturally find displays of politeness.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Page sniping is a thing that got so common it became banned, like other old catchphrases. On other forums it's still the height of wit or something. On SA no one seems to snipe anymore but some people do seem to think that if their post tops a new page, somehow they should edit in more content. My feeling is, if your post isn't interesting enough on its own, you should probably not post it at all. I probate for "oh haha new page better post content" in PYF because (a) it's proto-page sniping and I don't want that, (b) content should already be in the posts, and (c) I hate fun and also the word "netiquette."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The big thing about pages for me is that if you get the last post on a page, sometimes people never see it -- or likewise, if you have the first post on a page, the context gets lost so I go back and edit in quotes or something sometimes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

The big thing about pages for me is that if you get the last post on a page, sometimes people never see it -- or likewise, if you have the first post on a page, the context gets lost so I go back and edit in quotes or something sometimes.
What makes you think that? Do that many people just jump to the last page of a thread and ignore the first pages or not use bookmarks on the control panel?

I haven't noticed people paying more or less attention to a post if it's last or first on a page. Content seems to have an impact though, unsurprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, in my experience (I only really post in three or four threads regularly), the stuff on the page before the most recent one tends to get skimmed over/skipped sometimes.