Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Then I strongly suggest you never come to this side of the Atlantic in spring or summer.

Limit on single carriageways is fifty. On a motorway or dual carriageway, it's sixty. You occasionally forget and find yourself doing more, or put on a spurt to pass someone. Speed cameras aren't able to differentiate that you're towing, so if there's no actual police around, sitting at seventy or so isn't really an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Typically Australians don't even call them hitches - They are tow-bars. In fact, first car I ever spun around was the NC Ford Fairlane we used to pull around a four horse trailer with.

It used to be very common to see cars suffering from what was locally known as 'saggy bottom syndrome' but ours had self-leveling rear suspension. :smug:

meanwhile, is this factory or aftermarket?

Either way it is terrible.

tobu fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 12, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

tobu posted:

Typically Australians don't even call them hitches - They are tow-bars. In fact, first car I ever spun around was the NC Ford Fairlane we used to pull around a four horse trailer with.

It used to be very common to see cars suffering from what was locally known as 'saggy bottom syndrome' but ours had self-leveling rear suspension. :smug:

meanwhile, is this factory or aftermarket?

Either way it is terrible.

Stock. E46 compact.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

Not only that, but speed is a massive factor in towing, and most European countries limit cars towing trailers to FIFTY miles per hour. it's scary enough seeing inexperienced drivers try to hold on to hold onto small pickups towing trailers at 65mph, let alone a loving passat.

I'd much rather tow with a decent Passat than a small pickup truck (which means an older one as all the new models are giant)

Except for the whole VW transmission exploding thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

davebo posted:

I sure don't in the D.C. area, but I'm curious about Australia. When I do see cars with hitches they're often aftermarket ones installed below the rear bumper, but I notice that Falcon has it tastefully done below the bumper but above the rear body kit. If they're so common there, do pretty much all dealers just have them as factory options or is it usually after market hitches?

Almost every car maker offers a factory tow bar. The large cars (Falcons and Commodores) are designed to have heavyweight towbars and have bumper cutouts and underbody mount points ready to go. Imported cars usually get a Haymen Reece of varying capacity marked as a factory kit.

Big cars like my Caprice that have the heavyweight tow bars have a Haymen Reece tow bar that is rebranded Holden. Mine has a tow limit of 2300kg or in South Australia 2700 kgs. Apart from the mind blowing ability to drink fuel when climbing it'll handle that kind of weight quite well.

Chewing 5 litres of fuel to climb Victoria Pass gets old pretty quick tho. Last event towing to, the car drained the 80 litre tank in 240 kms.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY&t=14s

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Cat Terrist posted:

Almost every car maker offers a factory tow bar. The large cars (Falcons and Commodores) are designed to have heavyweight towbars and have bumper cutouts and underbody mount points ready to go. Imported cars usually get a Haymen Reece of varying capacity marked as a factory kit.

Big cars like my Caprice that have the heavyweight tow bars have a Haymen Reece tow bar that is rebranded Holden. Mine has a tow limit of 2300kg or in South Australia 2700 kgs. Apart from the mind blowing ability to drink fuel when climbing it'll handle that kind of weight quite well.

Chewing 5 litres of fuel to climb Victoria Pass gets old pretty quick tho. Last event towing to, the car drained the 80 litre tank in 240 kms.

Yup. My VE Commodore came with a Holden-branded Hayman Reese 50mm hitch receiver bar rated to 2100kg (or 4600lb) braked.

I'm fairly sure the tongue type tow bars are only rated to 1600kg, but the hitch receiver bars are far more common.

There is a removable square panel moulded into the middle of the bumper insert that can be taken out for a towbar.

I'm moving from Melbourne to Perth in 4 months, towing an 8x5 box trailer, so it should be interesting to see what difference that makes to my fuel consumption.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

metaxus posted:

I'm moving from Melbourne to Perth
Wrong direction mate.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
This particular Baton Rouge Lowe's is rife with great parking.

Guy was also wearing a wolf howling at the moon shirt so not sure if this thread or awesome.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It's a V6, so it's "COS I GOT" lots of sticky tat from Halfords?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So this is a thing I saw today in a parking lot.

In case you were wondering, yes, the Smart logo is still on the steering wheel behind the smoked glass but I couldn't get a picture of it due to said smoked glass.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Kenshin posted:

So this is a thing I saw today in a parking lot.

In case you were wondering, yes, the Smart logo is still on the steering wheel behind the smoked glass but I couldn't get a picture of it due to said smoked glass.

Haha, I think that looks kinda cool. I'm a bad person, aren't I? :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

HairyNipple! posted:

Haha, I think that looks kinda cool. I'm a bad person, aren't I? :(

Naw, I think it's okay too.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Das Volk posted:

It's a V6, so it's "COS I GOT" lots of sticky tat from Halfords?

Going to Jail "COS I GOT" caught selling coke.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Octopus Magic posted:

Naw, I think it's okay too.

It would be forgiven if it were a Brabus, but as it is...

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
This lady has been driving around my town for the last week or so. The only damage seems to be the bonnet but how it doesn't fly open is anyone's guess.

I bet she will continue to drive around like this until the police catch her. :(

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

tobu posted:

This lady has been driving around my town for the last week or so. The only damage seems to be the bonnet but how it doesn't fly open is anyone's guess.

I bet she will continue to drive around like this until the police catch her. :(
how the hell does a person damage nothing but the hood like that?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

It would be forgiven if it were a Brabus, but as it is...

There is nothing forgivable about a Brabus Smart.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bang Me Please posted:

Maybe it got backed into by something high riding with a towbar?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bang Me Please posted:

Your mum sitting on it

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You Am I posted:

Your mum sitting on it

:downsrim:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

You Am I posted:

Your mum sitting on it

Nope, struts aren't blown.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^^ this is good.

Bang Me Please posted:

Other than it rolling into a garage/car port/tree limb with the bonnet (hood :argh: ) up, I'm out of ideas.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

tobu posted:

Luv ya Queensland.

Where exactly was this taken?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

If red is sport, yellow is ceramic, is pink :gay:?

Honda Civic with pink calipers, drums, and steering wheel emblem.

tobu posted:

Hinges jammed in that position?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

psychoticmeow posted:

Luv ya Queensland.

Where exactly was this taken?

North Ward is Townsville.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
That Yaplakal site is a gold mine.
That one guy who fixed up that rolled SUV was something, but this dude....

This dude does this to his A3

Spends some time in a junk yard...

He admits this particular job was a little rushed.

Anyway time for paint, he chose to mix every paint in the shop

The result he called, "sky before a storm"

Bam

All thats left is to put it for sale online.

And make a thread about some of the little details in the cars history he forgot to mention in his ad after the car was sold.
http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic236705.html

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2012

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

This particular Baton Rouge Lowe's is rife with great parking.

I received one of the best notes in my life outside of a Kmart parking lot from a car diagonally parked. The rear end in a top hat parked in three spaces up near the front. So I parked on top of him, boxing his drivers side door in. I took a quick picture of his license plate and parking job for "if the enraged new owner of a Camaro attacks" and went it. It was like a five paragraph rant on the back of a McDonald's receipt. It was awesome.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Misplaced Yankee posted:

I received one of the best notes in my life outside of a Kmart parking lot from a car diagonally parked. The rear end in a top hat parked in three spaces up near the front. So I parked on top of him, boxing his drivers side door in. I took a quick picture of his license plate and parking job for "if the enraged new owner of a Camaro attacks" and went it. It was like a five paragraph rant on the back of a McDonald's receipt. It was awesome.

You said you took a pic and there is no pic in this post what is wrong with you :catstare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Found while getting groceries this morning, on a nearly completely bedlinered 4Runner:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
conservatives.jpg

"God said it was okay for me to bang your girlfriend."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Misplaced Yankee posted:

The exact same idea went through my head when i saw those pics. Park correctly in a spot, with the front left corner of your car ~2cm from their driver's side door.

Kudos for actually doing it, and I'd love to see some pictures.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

The exact same idea went through my head when i saw those pics. Park correctly in a spot, with the front left corner of your car ~2cm from their driver's side door.

Kudos for actually doing it, and I'd love to see some pictures.

If you really wanted to be a dick, you call a friend, and park in front of and behind them.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Is that 4Runner painted in bed liner?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Found while getting groceries this morning, on a nearly completely bedlinered 4Runner:

ijustam posted:

I don't think so.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 15, 2012

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ijustam posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

...on a nearly completely bedlinered 4Runner

:iiam:

e;fb, and what the holy gently caress is going on with that FB?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Rednecks from the shallow end of the gene pool will attach ANYTHING to a truck frame to make a "mud truck". Usually with a carbed 350 with fave hunnert horsepowah in between.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Misplaced Yankee posted:

I used to pull this all the time when I rode my motorcycle all the time with people that would take up two spots. Amazingly I never had it pushed over.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kastein posted:

I don't think so.

It must be awesome to have the mentality of a 3rd grader your whole life of what you think is "cool"

(I drew a lot of sports car + monster truck combinations as a child)

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

I don't think so.

Gonna be so awesome when a couple of the rear mounts let go.