Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Social Animal posted:

This must be a fedora thing because I swear it works fine in centos 6.

Is Fedora a full Enterprise distro though? I don't run it, but from what I gathered from the Fedora wiki and Google, it is on a (comparatively) fast upgrade schedule, and is missing certain nice things RHEL and CentOS by extension have. I'm sure there are differences between RHEL and Fedora, besides the support system for RHEL and the cost of it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Is Fedora a full Enterprise distro though?

No. It's a testbed for RHEL tech, and completely community supported.

Disclaimer: I work at Red Hat on Fedora and RHEL.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Slackware 14.0 recognizes my X130e's wireless card, but the built in Network Manager is worthless - Ubuntu (GNOME)'s network manager sees my wireless but I haven't found a clear way to do this in Slack yet, but is there a better wireless manager I can install in its place?

e: I used to use wicd but I was hoping something better was available or I was just not using the Slack one right. I've used Slackware a bunch in the past, just rarely ever (with much success) in conjunction with wireless

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 7, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

No poo poo? Awesome. Thanks for your hard work!

On that note, do you have any inkling, however vague, as to when the next major revision of RHEL is going to come out, and which version of Fedora it'll branch off of? I had to abandon CentOS (at home) for hosting VMs because of a bug that made FreeBSD completely unable to run.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On that note, do you have any inkling, however vague, as to when the next major revision of RHEL is going to come out, and which version of Fedora it'll branch off of? I had to abandon CentOS (at home) for hosting VMs because of a bug that made FreeBSD completely unable to run.

The schedule and branch version has changed internally two or three times right now, so that's why we don't publish these things. We'll be making official announcements hopefully very soon. We have some very exciting features coming up.

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
I have to edit several files on my school's servers using SSH. The only way I know how to manipulate a text file remotely is using VI or Nano. The problem is that these files are somewhat large and intricate, and I don't want to risk doing them in a terminal text editor.

Is there any terminal command I can use to open remote files using a text editor on my computer?

Alternately, is there a way I can copy the contents of a remote file to clipboard so that I could just post it into a text document? Currently, the only way I know how to do this is one screen at a time.

The file extensions I need to manipulate are .c, l, h, and y

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can we chat? RH always seemed like a really interesting place to work, and I'm really curious about their internal environment and how people ended up there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hot Yellow KoolAid posted:

I have to edit several files on my school's servers using SSH. The only way I know how to manipulate a text file remotely is using VI or Nano. The problem is that these files are somewhat large and intricate, and I don't want to risk doing them in a terminal text editor.

Learn how to use a terminal text editor and you'll be fine. What's the risk?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Learning some version control (git, and etc.) would help too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

Can we chat? RH always seemed like a really interesting place to work, and I'm really curious about their internal environment and how people ended up there.

Sure. PM me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Is there any terminal command I can use to open remote files using a text editor on my computer?

Alternately, is there a way I can copy the contents of a remote file to clipboard so that I could just post it into a text document? Currently, the only way I know how to do this is one screen at a time.

The file extensions I need to manipulate are .c, l, h, and y

I know things like Notepad++ have an SFTP file open. So you could open using that and edit in N++. If you're using Windows, I know gEdit can do the same thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If you're using GNOME, it has built in SFTP support (file browser -> connect to server -> type 'ssh'). Some programs (gedit) support this directly. Others don't, but you can point them at GNOME's mountpoint (in ~/.gvfs) and it'll still work.

If you aren't, or you'd rather not use that, install sshfs. You may need to add yourself to the 'fuse' group and log out and back in again, too.

Then,

$ sshfs user@schoolserver:path/to/directory /path/to/local/mountpoint -oidmap=user,reconnect

Now all the stuff on the server is mounted locally over ssh at /path/to/local/mountpoint. Edit as normal. When done, unmount with:

$ fusermount -uz /path/to/local/mountpoint

If you want to be able to work on it offline, you could also just sync the whole thing with rsync or unison, make your edits, then sync it back when done.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

hackedaccount posted:

Ah turds, I read it wrong and thought you were bouncing the client, not the server. Some of the ideas should still work.

- How does rpcinfo -p <server-name> look before and after restarting NFS on the server?
- Can you telnet to NFSs TCP ports from the client? Telnet is a quick and easy way to check network communications.
- Does running exportfs -r on the server fix it?

Sounds like a fun one, let us know what you find out.

So Redhat finally responded to my case with:

Redhat Engineer posted:

Did a little bit of research on this and it appears weird.

I also tried your suggestions and yeah.. no progress. Telnet works, exportfs -r on the server doesn't do squat, and no change on rpcinfo -p

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

So Redhat finally responded to my case with:
Wow, you must have been escalated to level 3 already! My Red Hat support cases consist of me pointing out for two days that the ticket already contains the information they're asking me for.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Misogynist posted:

Wow, you must have been escalated to level 3 already! My Red Hat support cases consist of me pointing out for two days that the ticket already contains the information they're asking me for.

I've been bouncing around between two Indian sounding techs and it's starting to piss me off. The first support experience I had with them the problem was solved within about 4 hours and a few emails. This one has been dragging on since Friday and I've had no resolution. I have till Friday to make this poo poo work and if progress hasn't been made by cob tomorrow I'm going to mash the escalate button.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Post an A/T thread!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whats a good torrent program(s) with a web interface?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

Whats a good torrent program(s) with a web interface?

transmission-daemon

e: or rtorrent coupled with one of the many web interfaces like ruTorrent/rtGui/etc

Keito fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 9, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using rTorrent w/ rtGui for awhile now, been quite happy with it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use deluged with the web frontend and I'm very happy with it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
rtorrent+ruTorrent has been awesome for me, lot's of options and plugins available - you can probably find a lot of scripts for it if you don't want to install it yourself.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bort posted:

Post an A/T thread!

I'm quite sure I'm the only Red Hat Engineer here on the forums. We're a super small company (2500 engineers total)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm quite sure I'm the only Red Hat Engineer here on the forums. We're a super small company (2500 engineers total)

Perhaps not for long :smug:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Have there been any issues with Chrome on Ubuntu 12.04? It was working fine, I've done some basic updates, but now chrome doesn't want to load a lot of webpages properly. Things like facebook, manga readers and other pages that have any sort of "frames", when scrolling parts of the page never load past the original. This has been going on for a while now, works fine in Windows 7.

Any ideas, should I just try to uninstall/reinstall it?

e: Just after reading this, went back through the update list, the very last one is an update to the chrome browser. We'll see if that fixes it.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 11, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

Have there been any issues with Chrome on Ubuntu 12.04? It was working fine, I've done some basic updates, but now chrome doesn't want to load a lot of webpages properly. Things like facebook, manga readers and other pages that have any sort of "frames", when scrolling parts of the page never load past the original. This has been going on for a while now, works fine in Windows 7.

Any ideas, should I just try to uninstall/reinstall it?

e: Just after reading this, went back through the update list, the very last one is an update to the chrome browser. We'll see if that fixes it.

Try a new profile as well.

Think this should work: http://techspalace.blogspot.com/2010/02/multiple-profile-in-google-chrome-in.html

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I haven't used Linux since Ubuntu 7 or 8 or so, but I just put 12.04 on my desktop and hoo boy is it better than I remember.

Things... things actually work! There are myriad programs that can do anything I want! It's a pretty great experience. If I can find a good recording program that can handle VSTs, I'll be in hog heaven.

But seriously? NETFLIX doesn't work in Linux? I had to install a loving Windows XP VM last night to watch a movie on Netflix. Ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QPZIL posted:

I haven't used Linux since Ubuntu 7 or 8 or so, but I just put 12.04 on my desktop and hoo boy is it better than I remember.

Things... things actually work! There are myriad programs that can do anything I want! It's a pretty great experience. If I can find a good recording program that can handle VSTs, I'll be in hog heaven.

But seriously? NETFLIX doesn't work in Linux? I had to install a loving Windows XP VM last night to watch a movie on Netflix. Ugh.

Silverlight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Silverlight.

They have an Android app, and a ChromeOS app. Roku's whole gimmick was Netflix on Linux (decryption was done as a hardware module). They could support Desktop Linux as a platform, but they don't want to.

It's not just "Silverlight".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

They have an Android app, and a ChromeOS app. Roku's whole gimmick was Netflix on Linux (decryption was done as a hardware module). They could support Desktop Linux as a platform, but they don't want to.

Well, obviously they could support linux, but the reason the desktop version of their site doesn't just magically work on linux is because they're using silverlight.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Roku's support for encryption was poor and buggy until recently; Netflix on Android required them to write custom decoding software. While the knowledge to support desktop linux would certainly be available to Netflix, the resources it would divert would probably, according to their judgment, not bring in more than it cost them. On the other hand, Roku and Android are massive audiences to support and would no doubt justify the expense of design and development and continued support.

So "they don't want to" is an oversimplification. Video streaming is a balancing act between licensors, technology platforms, and whatever shortcuts the outlet (i.e. streaming company) can get away with. In the case of streaming video, DRM is almost always contractually mandated. Playing h.264 videos on Linux wouldn't cut it. A reasonably secure encryption/decryption scheme would be essential, and that kind of stuff requires talent and attention. Linux almost certainly hasn't proved itself to Netflix.

That's how Netflix would probably justify it.

I don't work for Netflix, but I'm reasonably knowledgeable about the challenges. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for go into too much detail openly, but if you PM me relevant questions I could probably illuminate you on some of the details.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 12, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

If it's any consolation I've never gotten the loving thing to work in Windows, either. :v:

Not that there's anything worth watching on it up here in the first place.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what he means by 'panel'. Nothing I right click gives any of the options he says to click on. Did I miss somethign?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Gothmog1065 posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what he means by 'panel'. Nothing I right click gives any of the options he says to click on. Did I miss somethign?

Not inside chrome -- old gnome/metacity term for the things that encapsulate your window list, notification area, etc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gothmog1065 posted:

covener posted:

Not inside chrome -- old gnome/metacity term for the things that encapsulate your window list, notification area, etc.

If you're in GNOME 3, this would be better suited with alacarte. alacarte has a bug on some distributions in XFCE (I'll fix it soon). Not sure what KDE provides.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
So, I'm playing with ip route and there is something that is tripping me up.

When I add a route with the following commands:
code:
ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
everything works and ip route show shows the route added.

I then do a ip address add 192.168.1.48 dev eth0 and I have internet access. I then issue the command ip route show again and I see my route with src 192.168.1.48 appended to the end.

Naturally, I want to add this to the commands so I can then add it to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0 file.

No dice. No matter what I try, I get errors from RTNETLINK: no such process to RTNETLINK: invalid argument.

What gives? Is there a way to do this?

If it is relevant, since I am playing with this, I start from scratch each time and issue a ip route flush all before beginning.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edit: This is on CentOS 6.3.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Just to make sure, you don't actually have the "ip route add" part in route-eth0, do you?

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
route-eth0:
192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.1.1

If its your default you should probably
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
in ifcfg-eth0 or ../network

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

evol262 posted:

Just to make sure, you don't actually have the "ip route add" part in route-eth0, do you?

Correct, I have it as the commands would be on the command line, but without the ip route add part at the beginning.

3spades posted:

route-eth0:
192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.1.1

If its your default you should probably
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
in ifcfg-eth0 or ../network

Unless I am misunderstanding, this wouldn't have anything to do with the box gaining the specified IP address (192.168.1.48) would it?

The route itself seems fine (on network 192.168.1.0/24 with the router being at 192.168.1.1).

Basically, I am just trying to see if I can specify an IP within the route-eth0 (or for that matter any) file.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Crush posted:

Unless I am misunderstanding, this wouldn't have anything to do with the box gaining the specified IP address (192.168.1.48) would it?

I don't understand your question but you don't need to add connected routes anywhere. They're automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

I don't understand your question but you don't need to add connected routes anywhere. They're automatic.

I'm just trying to understand how to use the route object within the ip command :)

Edit: Just realized that I may have not been clear. The route seems to work just fine, but I am trying to make 192.168.1.48 a static IP for the box. I noticed that when using ip address add and then doing ip route show that it showed the IP for the box that I specified in the aforementioned ip address add command so I figured that I might be able to specify it in the route-eth0 file. DOing a bit more digging thanks to a previous reply, it looks like the answer may lie in the ifcfg-eth0 file. Looks like I will be playing with it some more :)

Crush fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 13, 2012