Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Sole.Sushi posted:

That purple really looks good there. You should do this more often. More to the point; retroactively paint all your jacks with splashes of purple for my amusement. :devil: Seriously though, really sets off that yellow.

All my yellow dudes have purple hilts, dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

All my yellow dudes have purple hilts, dawg

:monocle:
Carry on, then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

VendaGoat posted:

:argh:
There is only so much space in the pots!

Are you thinning your paint by just adding water directly to the pot? :stare:

Better to use some sort of palette (wet or dry), or yeah, use a separate pot if you need a lot of it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Made a start on the Librarian, the face is finished as is the bone coloured tabard. Next job is to fix up the blue and blend some in gradients as the highlights are quite over powering.

Group shot

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

richyp, come to my house and paint my stuff.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I don't know how you do it richyp. Your techniques are pretty simple from what I've seen but I can't pull it off as effortless as you seem to do it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"Fix up" the blue, he says.

*looks at own models, flips over painting table*

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

JerryLee posted:

"Fix up" the blue, he says.

*looks at own models, flips over painting table*

Yeah that blue is TERRIBLE. :rolleyes:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The camera makes it look better, have a close up and you'll see what I mean.

Mainly the sword hand.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yep, that's poo poo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

richyp posted:

The camera makes it look better, have a close up and you'll see what I mean.

Mainly the sword hand.

loving cheater!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They look lovely, but I think the tactical trooper might need brighter highlights to bring him more in line with the other two. As it is he doesn't pop as much beside them.

When I did my D.A. Master recently (not as well as you've done your D.A.) I went with a more traditional bright extreme highlight and it really made the amour work, in my opinion.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dominion posted:

Don't thin the paint in the pot. Pull a little paint (like, really just a little blob) out onto a palette, thin that little bit, use it, get more when you need more.

It takes a lot less paint than you think and this way you can thin each batch exactly how you need it right then. If you thin the whole pot there's no going back if you later need slightly thicker paint.

This is it isn't it? This is the fulcrum point. This is the point at which people dive from the cliff of sanity and into the washing surf of Hamdom. This is where little minis become "arts".

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are you thinning your paint by just adding water directly to the pot? :stare:

Better to use some sort of palette (wet or dry), or yeah, use a separate pot if you need a lot of it.

Oh god I'm already a heretic!

Just two things.

One, you are your own worst critic. That's incredible.
Two, Kiss my ENTIRE rear end.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

?

quote:

They look lovely, but I think the tactical trooper might need brighter highlights to bring him more in line with the other two. As it is he doesn't pop as much beside them.

The marine is out of range from the lamp, so he looks darker than the rest, I posted a shot of the 5 on the last page so you can see the highlights better.

quote:

Own worse critic

Yeah pretty much. I did keep one of my original models from a few years ago as inspiration. I'll post it if it'll make people feel better. It's about 6 years old and is pretty bad :)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

richyp posted:

Made a start on the Librarian, the face is finished as is the bone coloured tabard. Next job is to fix up the blue and blend some in gradients as the highlights are quite over powering.

Group shot

I'm not sure if these are a greater inspiration, as DA are the army I've collected and painted for a number of years now, or disincentive, as you are going through them faster and better than I.

Either way, keep posting - I need more examples to copy.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zhent posted:

Either way, keep posting - I need more examples to copy.

Richyp posted:

Original models from a few years ago as inspiration. I'll post it if it'll make people feel better. It's about 6 years old and is pretty bad

6 years turned out to be 22 years ago.

Hamming Through the Ages
A retrospective on a sad life of painting plastic barbies by Richyp

It all started when I saw the original Space Hulk Game and loved the Deathwing Terminator models.

Space Crusade Marine circa 1990 - age 13

Comment: What's primer? oh look some enamel paints from my dads garage.

14 fun-filled years pass Warhammer free, then...

Chaos Marine circa 2004 - Got married needed an excuse for a man cave so took up a hobby

Comment: Painted about 1000pts, never played then met a couple of goons and played Tyranids...

Orks & Tyranids - 2006

Comment: Created a tutorial for these guys that's still apparently floating around

Comment: Got a daylight lamp for my birthday and discovered W&N Series 7, also finally worked out how to do red

Dawn of War - Dark Crusade released 2007

Comment: Yay for (ink) washes, matt medium and black lining

Assault on Black Reach Released 2008

Comment: Had enough of grimdark, wanted to paint super happy bright Orks and discovered white primer.

Comment: grimdark.

Space Wolves and Dark Eldar 2010

Comment: Must put battle damage on EVERYTHING, and baking soda.

Comment: "Light" Dark Eldar. Finally worked out how to do bone, maybe I could finally paint a Deathwing Terminator like I saw back in 1990

1 year University break...

Dark Vengeance circa today

Comment: Ah finally Deathwing and the circle is complete. W&N brush finally has a stray after 3 years of abuse. Also realised I must paint everything before January.

richyp fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 13, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Posting after richyp is the worst, but I'll take one for the team.

FW Mantis Warriors apothecary I did for gune sire and broham Muggins. He'll finish the basing and add a decal to the shoulder pad. He's pretty colorful but Muggins seemed cool with the 2nd edition kinda style. Inadvertant on my part but whatevs.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Anyone have any suggestions on painting white for my Empire State Troops? I want something that looks decent on the tabletop but I'm not trying to win any Golden Daemons.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on painting white for my Empire State Troops? I want something that looks decent on the tabletop but I'm not trying to win any Golden Daemons.

Prime white.

If you have to prime dark for whatever reason; use darker color first then put the white down. Otherwise you'll be putting down like 5 layers to get good coverage. I use GW foundation Deneb Stone, Dawn stone works good too.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oxford Comma posted:

Prime light grey and work from there.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Oxford Comma posted:

Priming grey helps, and Vallejo Model Colour's Stonewall Grey is excellent for a very light grey coverage. I use it for my Middenheim troops and just highlight with white, and its good looking without too much effort.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Oxford Comma posted:

Seconding the prime white suggestion. Prime white, apply wash of choice (blue, black, brown) and repaint the raised areas in white.

Happy with the way the face came out on this guy, first attempt at a shaved head look.

EDIT: Super close up link

vvvvv Just mixed in a small amount of dark grey with the darkest layer of flesh I used then dabbed it on with a brush. Then did the same with a sightly lighter grey and dabbed on top of that, using almost no paint (like a drybrush only stabbing the model with the bristles)

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2012

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

When you do the stubble look, do you mix watered down flesh colours with black or brown washes and then paint over a raw flesh under colour? That's what I've been doing and I've been getting a similar effect as yours.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Richy's Dark Eldar are still the best.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Chenghiz posted:

Priming grey helps, and Vallejo Model Colour's Stonewall Grey is excellent for a very light grey coverage. I use it for my Middenheim troops and just highlight with white, and its good looking without too much effort.

Would Pallid Wytch Flesh work just as well as Stonewall Grey?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Finished off those practice Fists from the other day:

You can see some of the damage a bit more clearly in these photos, a lot of the little details have been scarred - most notably around the aquilas, collars and little skull-gribblies - but I've tried to effect (really) crude repairs/replacements in the areas where the previous owner had really gone to town.

I also seem to have missed some spectacular mold lines, two of the guys seem to have decided they want to be glossy despite being matte varnished (:psyduck:) and typically, the sergeant's decal decided to be a total bastard. They'll do the job though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Coincidence would have that I stumble upon this just now.

I feel it is only fitting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

Good advice!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Based Kraye.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

OneTrueBru posted:

You can see some of the damage a bit more clearly in these photos, a lot of the little details have been scarred - most notably around the aquilas, collars and little skull-gribblies - but I've tried to effect (really) crude repairs/replacements in the areas where the previous owner had really gone to town.

I also seem to have missed some spectacular mold lines, two of the guys seem to have decided they want to be glossy despite being matte varnished (:psyduck:) and typically, the sergeant's decal decided to be a total bastard. They'll do the job though.

So...pretty. Just so smooth and....pretty. I really like your yellow, just enough shading brown to add depth, while most of it is just a bright beautiful yellow.

Oh, and the advice I was given for white by a previous golden demon winner was to start off white (mixed with grey normally), a very very watered down black wash in the recesses, and build up to white on the raised edges.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
I'm finishing up a squad of Chosen, and I wondering what's the best way to finish their bases. The bases is just covered in sand, primed black and painted Graveyard Earth/Steel Legion Drab.

What's the best color to highlight this? Just Bleached Bone?

Wasn't there a WD or website article on this?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I posted a couple of these in the Warmachine thread a few weeks ago. Now I have updates and wanted to see what you guys over here thought.

I got into tabletop a little over a month ago and have been loving painting up my guys. I started out with my first shocktrooper.

Here is the finished unit

In between them I painted up the puppy.

I moved my army to P Vlad and was pretty happy with how he turned out.

I tried something on the cape I had read here, using a grey base and using nulin oil washes. I overdid it thinking it was too grey and it pretty much turned out black. I think Ill end up greenstuffing a new cape eventually anyway.

I tackled my first jack. (Yes that is the wrong arm, I bought him used and was already assembled that way)

And I finished Drago this week, Love this guy.

I had to sharpen and add brightness to the pics, but Im still not happy with some of them.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

DarkDobe posted:

Coincidence would have that I stumble upon this just now.

I feel it is only fitting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

Good advice!

Best thing I've seen in a while. There should be more.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This lil' pro-tip probably does not need to be said, but if you are thinking about purchasing and priming with Valspar brand primer, just put your models down on the floor, drop trou, and poo poo on them instead. Black, white, or grey, it's poo poo paint in a poo poo can, shot through a poo poo nozzle and it is not in any way worth the three fifty you'll drop to experiment. After three days drying, the paint is still tacky, and so are you, if you buy Valspar brand primer.

*thismessagebroughttoyoubyKrylon

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
One thing I'm not exactly clear on; do people do basework before they prime the mini? Or do people prime and paint the mini, then focus on basework afterwards?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Depends on the mini really. My preference is to stick the guy on his base and paint the base first (there's a huge psychological boost/trick of the eye to seeing that large chunk of the model finished), but if it's going to make painting the man a faff then I'll undercoat the base separately and glue it on as soon as I get the faffy part out of the way.

For instance, I'm currently working on some Necron Warriors and a Dark Eldar Kabalite warrior, the Necrons are simple humanoid shapes with no clothing and wide-spread legs so I glued them to the base before undercoating. The Kabalite is posed with his feet apart, but is wearing a tabard front and back, so I left the base off to enable me to get at the insides of the tabard.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 14, 2012

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zombie #246 posted:

One thing I'm not exactly clear on; do people do basework before they prime the mini? Or do people prime and paint the mini, then focus on basework afterwards?

I generally base everything at the end by removing the painted models from their bases and reusing the bases. This is mainly because I prime white and sometimes both, so I'll stick the sand on and respray all the bases black at once. Then after dry brushing the poo poo out of them I cut the tabs off the models and glue/pin them on.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Crosspost: Finished my Mega Armor Warboss:

I couldn't decide which I liked more, so I ended up making both Klaw arms.

The Dakka:

And I really like how the base turned out with some home made flock:

Good times. I'm definitely going to go for Grey Orks for my army, and I think this guy makes a good figurehead.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Zombie #246 posted:

I always do bases last. I often leave painted models unbased, as I usually paint 3-5 models at a time and leave the basing to when the unit is completed. There's 40 painted but unbased gnoblars on my desk right now.

Only exception is extra-effort characters/models. I'll glue sand to their bases before I hit them with a white undercoat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fingers McGee posted:

I posted a couple of these in the Warmachine thread a few weeks ago. Now I have updates and wanted to see what you guys over here thought.

I got into tabletop a little over a month ago and have been loving painting up my guys. I started out with my first shocktrooper.

Here is the finished unit

In between them I painted up the puppy.

I moved my army to P Vlad and was pretty happy with how he turned out.

I tried something on the cape I had read here, using a grey base and using nulin oil washes. I overdid it thinking it was too grey and it pretty much turned out black. I think Ill end up greenstuffing a new cape eventually anyway.

I tackled my first jack. (Yes that is the wrong arm, I bought him used and was already assembled that way)

And I finished Drago this week, Love this guy.

I had to sharpen and add brightness to the pics, but Im still not happy with some of them.

For your first month, thats really fantastic work. Youve picked up most of the basics almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OneTrueBru posted:

Just thought you should know, I looked at your Crimson Fists, then looked at mine.

I'm weeping, OneTrueBru. I'm weeping.

• Locked thread