Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone with the GoPro and the WiFi backpack, the GoPro app FINALLY hit today. Only like 7 months late. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Synonamess Botch posted:

I'm moving out into the sticks and I've got to choose between two lovely internet connections. One is 15d/2u Mbps, dynamic ip with a bunch of blocked ports. The other is 12d/2u, static with no blocked ports or monitoring, and is twice as expensive with a bunch of baggage (contracts, installation fees.) I'm well familiar with the problems of a dynamic IP but I have no idea how port blocking is going to affect me. The complete list of blocked ports is: tcp 25, 80, 135-139, 443, 445, 1080, 6667-6669, udp 135-139, 1433-1434.

I don't know if this is the right place but I've never had to deal with this before. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, both of these choices are business lines, which is my only option for getting around a 250gb/mo cap. :sigh: I get the feeling I am going to miss my 75Mbps connection

Welcome to the world of lovely internet! I've been lucky, in that there's a local wireless ISP that doesn't gently caress with me at all. All ports are open, and I have unlimited bandwidth. The tradeoff is that I have only 1Mb down, and I have to pay $100 a month. It's crazy, especially when 10 miles away there's a large city with FTTB at insane speeds for half as much.

The blocked ports really aren't that bad unless you're actually using the connection for business reasons, in which case you can at least write off some of the expense on your taxes. Most other stuff can be configured to use alternate ports which they don't block.

The dynamic IP isn't really a big deal, either. It was only an extra $10 for me, so I splurged on the static, but you can get around the dynamic IP issue with DNS or dynamic DNS services.

There's not really any advice to give you, as you're stuck with whatever you can get. Anything serving the sticks that isn't local will probably have bandwidth caps, and likely lovely speeds. Don't even bother researching the WildBlue or other satellite services, they're even worse.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

EC posted:

Welcome to the world of lovely internet! I've been lucky, in that there's a local wireless ISP that doesn't gently caress with me at all. All ports are open, and I have unlimited bandwidth. The tradeoff is that I have only 1Mb down, and I have to pay $100 a month. It's crazy, especially when 10 miles away there's a large city with FTTB at insane speeds for half as much.

The blocked ports really aren't that bad unless you're actually using the connection for business reasons, in which case you can at least write off some of the expense on your taxes. Most other stuff can be configured to use alternate ports which they don't block.

I was mostly concerned about gaming or file sharing programs. I think with port 80 blocked (incoming only) prevents people from connecting to me on P2P services, but I'm not 100% sure. My option for no blocked ports and static IP is $110/mo so I feel you :(

quote:

The dynamic IP isn't really a big deal, either. It was only an extra $10 for me, so I splurged on the static, but you can get around the dynamic IP issue with DNS or dynamic DNS services.

There's not really any advice to give you, as you're stuck with whatever you can get. Anything serving the sticks that isn't local will probably have bandwidth caps, and likely lovely speeds. Don't even bother researching the WildBlue or other satellite services, they're even worse.

This is pretty much the advice I was looking for - knowing that there might be options for avoiding blocked ports and getting around dynamic IP issues is at least a start, considering I have to do the best with bad options. Thanks!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
None of those blocked ports will run aground your P2P pirate ship. They're all HTTP/S, email, IRC, and Windows file sharing (over the internet).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Synonamess Botch posted:

I'm moving out into the sticks and I've got to choose between two lovely internet connections. One is 15d/2u Mbps, dynamic ip with a bunch of blocked ports. The other is 12d/2u, static with no blocked ports or monitoring, and is twice as expensive with a bunch of baggage (contracts, installation fees.) I'm well familiar with the problems of a dynamic IP but I have no idea how port blocking is going to affect me. The complete list of blocked ports is: tcp 25, 80, 135-139, 443, 445, 1080, 6667-6669, udp 135-139, 1433-1434.

I don't know if this is the right place but I've never had to deal with this before. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, both of these choices are business lines, which is my only option for getting around a 250gb/mo cap. :sigh: I get the feeling I am going to miss my 75Mbps connection

I'm surprised that the ISP with the blocked ports is considered a business connection. Web servers and mail servers are things that are used by some businesses, these are examples but there's a lot of services blocked. Some of the blocked ports are a good idea but they seem to have taken it a little too far.

Although it does come down to how you want to use the connection. Do you need a static IP if you can't run anything on it?

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 9, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Devian666 posted:

I'm surprised that the ISP with the blocked ports is considered a business connection. Web servers and mail servers are things that are used by some businesses, these are examples but there's a lot of services blocked. Some of the blocked ports are a good idea but they seem to have taken it a little too far.

Although it does come down to how you want to use the connection. Do you need a static IP if you can't run anything on it?

The dynamic IP is the one with the blocked ports, the static one is completely open. I don't plan on running a server or anything (which they expressly forbid, actually). My wife torrents a lot, and I do mostly online gaming and the majority of that is peer-to-peer gaming. Other than that we do normal internet browsing and a boat load of streaming. Only reason I had to opt for a business connection was because we go well, well over 250gb/mo. If the consensus is that dynamic IP and the aforementioned blocked ports will be fine for the relatively normal internet stuff we do, or can be worked around with alternate ports for the right situation, we will probably go that route as it is significantly cheaper and doesn't require a contract. I admit I am slightly concerned about IRC, though, I've used that quite a bit in the past and it seems like a strange thing to block.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I understand why they block IRC for security reasons but I'd find it weird not being able to use IRC at all. That said I could do without IRC for a cheaper connection.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Devian666 posted:

I understand why they block IRC for security reasons but I'd find it weird not being able to use IRC at all. That said I could do without IRC for a cheaper connection.

Some of the trojans that turn your PC into a zombie for doing botnet/ddos stuff connect to IRC servers to report in to their owners and take commands. It is weird that they'd block the IRC ports entirely because of that, but it's probably just incoming, not outgoing, so you should still be able to connect as a client.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm pretty sure that list isn't a block of source and destination ports in both directions, otherwise users wouldn't be able to use a web browser. Usually providers block running IRC servers because of all of the collateral damage that tend to come along with them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That makes more sense. Not used to ISPs outright blocking ports but they have probably had enough problems with people/trojans running servers. The main thing is they don't seem to block the important port: 25565

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Kind of one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' questions, but I have a chance to aquire an Airport Extreme 2011. My friend is moving to Europe due to a job and is willing to sell his AE for ~$130ish.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G2 running a gimped version of DD-WRT without any issues for the past 3 years or so. Obviously it would be nice to have N speeds or the greater gain the AE produces. However, I haven't had any need so far to upgrade. I live in a 1 bedroom, my HTPC is wired w/ CAT-6, and wireless has been a non-issue.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There is another way to look at it is that you might start finding uses for higher wireless speeds, as what you're adding is infrastructure that you can add devices to.

When I added a dual band router I didn't anticipate how much I would end up changing my network, and the way I use it. That said if you only plan on connecting a smart phone, 3DS or PSP and have self-control then I wouldn't bother.

In my apartment I have been switching most of my devices to 5 GHz wireless as there's been a surge in 2.4 GHz wireless usage where I live. This may or may not affect you.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any comparison points between the Netgear N600 http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDR3400-N600-Wireless-Router/dp/B0041LYY6K/ and the Linksys E2500 http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR4A ?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They are both terrible. You could spend less on a Netgear 3500L from the op (in the under $75 category) and get gigabit ethernet ports.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Devian666 posted:

They are both terrible. You could spend less on a Netgear 3500L from the op (in the under $75 category) and get gigabit ethernet ports.

No one will be using any of the ethernet ports on this. The main concern is long range since the current router's range isn't strong enough for the apartment. Still the same suggestion?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I suspect the 3400 will give better range. The performance should be the same as the 3500L as they appear to have a similar cpu.

Note that I'm assuming you want to pay more to get dual band wireless.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 12, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Devian666 posted:

I suspect the 3400 will give better range. The performance should be the same as the 3500L as they appear to have a similar cpu.

Note that I'm assuming you want to pay more to get dual band wireless.

I don't know for certain if the devices on it will be 5GHz compatible, but if the dual band has better range, then that would be preferred.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Dual band doesn't make a difference to the range. The way netgear builds their routers tends to help. The 5 GHz band generally has a shorter range than the 2.4 GHz because of physics.

Having dual band certainly doesn't hurt as you can have different devices on different frequencies which helps wireless speeds.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I'm in the market for a new router. I want to spend ~$100. Here's what I'd like:

- Dual Band N
- PPTP VPN support
- DynDNS support
- DD-WRT would be cool but not necessary if I have built-in VPN and DynDNS. I'm just used to using it.

The reason I'm upgrading is that we moved into a new house where my Xbox is no longer wired. I stream a lot of stuff and even the non-HD movies have problems skipping sometimes. Using something to transcode on the fly (like PS3 Media Server or Plex) mostly helps but I think it's time to upgrade anyway.

It's between this Asus
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

and this Netgear

with the slight edge going to the Asus because I've read that the performance is better. The Netgear does have an unofficial DD-WRT build though (I think).

Advice/comments please?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pizza Club posted:

I'm in the market for a new router. I want to spend ~$100. Here's what I'd like:

- Dual Band N
- PPTP VPN support
- DynDNS support
- DD-WRT would be cool but not necessary if I have built-in VPN and DynDNS. I'm just used to using it.

The reason I'm upgrading is that we moved into a new house where my Xbox is no longer wired. I stream a lot of stuff and even the non-HD movies have problems skipping sometimes. Using something to transcode on the fly (like PS3 Media Server or Plex) mostly helps but I think it's time to upgrade anyway.

It's between this Asus

and this Netgear

with the slight edge going to the Asus because I've read that the performance is better. The Netgear does have an unofficial DD-WRT build though (I think).

Advice/comments please?

I would buy a refurb E3000 for $50 and put Tomato USB on it. Put it up on some bottlecaps or something so it doesn't overheat and it should be fine.

Stock firmwares are almost always awful.

Between those two, personally I would go for the Asus because I've had much better experiences with their products and teardowns seem to show that their engineering puts more in. Though if you really care about performance, I'd also look at the Asus N66U.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Here's an insane question: anyone setup a router with dial backup lately? Everything I see now is dual WAN or 3G card failover, but this guy wants some kind of backup without spending any extra money per month. I haven't set one of these up in years and at the price point we're talking about (spending a couple hundred bucks tops) in my experience they never worked that well.

If anyone knows of a router with dial backup that can use a USB modem that would be great, I am not having a lot of luck on google.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
I've got an issue that is driving me insane. I got this switch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QUA6RA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00
as soon as I hook my router up to it I lose my internet connection. I have to completely take the switch out of the equation to get my connection back. If I go cable modem<linksys e2000<switch<laptop and check my network settings it is giving me an ip address that isn't in the same range as my network. I am a retard when it comes to this but I was under the impression that an unmanaged switch just worked. Is there anything I need to do in my router settings? Any help would be appreciated

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
1) your avatar is awesome

2) it should just work, as you say. How are you connecting the switch to the e2000?

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

Dogen posted:

1) your avatar is awesome

2) it should just work, as you say. How are you connecting the switch to the e2000?

I've just got Ethernet running from port 4 on the router to port 8 on the switch...I wonder if I just got a dud switch? all of the activity lights are on though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Are they all on with nothing plugged into them? It could be a dud, it happens, I would definitely think so if the lights are going berserk.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why all of the standard def content I stream to the 360 works great, but the HD stuff stutters like a lead paint chip eating hillbilly. I only just now realized that the 360 is on 10/100 and not gigabit.

Is there a reliable replacement for Windows Media Center on the PC that can talk to Windows Media Center on a 360, or some media center that is easy to navigate on a PS3 that can handle a variety of file types? (mostly .mkv's for the HD content)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How are you streaming your content? 100mbit is plenty for even the highest bitrate HD content out there.

I would bet you're having to do some kind of on the fly transcoding, and the source machine isn't fast enough to handle it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Quick Version: ipfire router has bizzare throughput problems when placed inside a virtual machine.

EDIT: It was the poo poo built-in Realtek 8111E/8111F. When I put a second Intel gigabit inside, that fixed the problem immediately... guess I should just make that standard issue and tack $30 onto the cost of every system I build. Sick of dealing with Realtek crap. What I don't get is even what should be like, really high end motherboards still use realtek garbage adapters instead of sticking an intel chip on there.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 13, 2012

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

Dogen posted:

Are they all on with nothing plugged into them? It could be a dud, it happens, I would definitely think so if the lights are going berserk.

Nah, they aren't on if nothing is plugged in..they are just blinking normally when stuff is plugged in.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
well, the PS3 Media Server runs the HD rips just fine where the WMC fails. I guess the on-the-fly-encoding for WMC takes too much out of my machine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've officially got a bonkers problem...
I just moved into our new apartment and its a BRAND new building (finished in July.) It's a nice building, too. Not crappy.

Well I plug my iMac in and go wireless. All is well. When I use my TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet... about 5 minutes into usage my circuit breaker trips. Flip it, power on... Same thing.

Go back to wireless... no more tripping. Any thoughts? Anyone ever even HEARD of this or had it happen?

It worked ok in a 30 min test in my last building.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

lazywhiteboy posted:

Nah, they aren't on if nothing is plugged in..they are just blinking normally when stuff is plugged in.
Something is wrong. I've got several of those models in the five and eight port (TES-Sx0G) series. They should act just as you expect.

When the switch is between the router and your laptop, is the address the laptop gets 169.254.x.x?

All the eight ports (are supposed to) function identically. Try a different network cable?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

I've officially got a bonkers problem...
I just moved into our new apartment and its a BRAND new building (finished in July.) It's a nice building, too. Not crappy.

Well I plug my iMac in and go wireless. All is well. When I use my TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet... about 5 minutes into usage my circuit breaker trips. Flip it, power on... Same thing.

Go back to wireless... no more tripping. Any thoughts? Anyone ever even HEARD of this or had it happen?

It worked ok in a 30 min test in my last building.

How many amps is the breaker? You might just need a bigger one (although I wouldn't think those adapters would pull all that much). Have you tried using plugging it into different outlets to see if the same problem occurs?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

How many amps is the breaker? You might just need a bigger one (although I wouldn't think those adapters would pull all that much). Have you tried using plugging it into different outlets to see if the same problem occurs?
Not yet. Just started unpacking last night. Will investigate...(both ideas)

Is the breaker amperage something I could modify simply enough at Home Depot or am I just stuck with what I got?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Not yet. Just started unpacking last night. Will investigate...(both ideas)

Is the breaker amperage something I could modify simply enough at Home Depot or am I just stuck with what I got?

Generally you can just change the breaker out, but if you're in an apartment you might not be able to.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

Tapedump posted:

Something is wrong. I've got several of those models in the five and eight port (TES-Sx0G) series. They should act just as you expect.

When the switch is between the router and your laptop, is the address the laptop gets 169.254.x.x?

All the eight ports (are supposed to) function identically. Try a different network cable?

Yes, when connected between the router and laptop the address I'm getting is 169.254.x.x

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
I'm using Cox premiere home internet service. My speeds are fine, though the monthly data cap is only 250 gigabytes.

When I first upgraded to this service, I would get near the limit pretty easily, as they have a data usage allowance page that shows you how much of your allotted transit you've used.

However, for the past 2 months or so, i've noticed that the meter is WAAAAY off, much to my advantage. For instance, it tells me i've only used 101 gigabytes for the month (and the counter resets tomorrow). Yet I look at my usenet downloads meter, and from that alone i've done well over 500 gigabytes. In the past week i've downloaded 400 gigabytes, yet their daily meter only shows a maximum used of 7 gigabytes!

90% or more of the data I receive is SSL encrypted, could their metering services have difficulty monitoring how much actual data i've received, due to the Hybrid fibre-coaxial network? That still doesn't seem to make sense, as the incoming packets will always be going to the same IP address, mine.

Any ideas on this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

Generally you can just change the breaker out, but if you're in an apartment you might not be able to.

Looks like it's a 15 amp. (I'm assuming thats what the 15's 20's and 30's on all the switches are.)

Probably can't swap it out, I guess? I mean... how do you even do that? And is that not kosher as a renter? (I'm assuming the reason the living room Powerline Ethernet *input* didn't trip that breaker is it's a 20 or a 30. )

Hard to say, the labels are a little generic as to what circuits are what...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Breakers are easy to swap out as long as you remember to turn the main off first. I would definitely check with your apartment people to see if its allowed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

lazywhiteboy posted:

Yes, when connected between the router and laptop the address I'm getting is 169.254.x.x
That's the range of addresses you get when a device is looking to the router for a dynamic IP address (router is doing DHCP), but said device is not getting one.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address.html

Turn off the router, the switch, and the laptop. Power them back on in that same order, waiting a minute or two in between devices.

If the laptop still gets a self-assigned address (169.254.x.x), the switch is likely bad.