Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jones gives the Pharoahs geometry tips. Jones teaches Homo Erectus to use fire. Jones helps a chimp brush up on hitting things with sticks. Jones hi-fives a velociraptor.

Bring on the art book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would unironically love this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Jones gives the Pharoahs geometry tips. Jones teaches Homo Erectus to use fire. Jones helps a chimp brush up on hitting things with sticks. Jones hi-fives a velociraptor.

Bring on the art book.

Before the first real thing, long before the great howling cacophony that is life, the universe could be thought of as a cool, dark, empty room.

Jones walks in and turns on the light.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Calaveron posted:

Also, based on the robots' dialogue further in no way in hell is Kat not magical/ethereal in some form, beyond the robots' and Zimmy's perception of her.

I don't know, man. It would be cool if Kat's brilliance were due to some strange secret about her that she can discover later in the story, but it might be cooler if it turns out that she's that brilliant despite there being nothing at all special about her.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

It keeps going...and going...and going... :stare:
...and going...and going...and going... :psyduck:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Jones was born of the seed Bismuth. :colbert:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jones had to chill out for a millennia and wait for humans to evolve. This is where her boredom comes from -- she snapped.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hey guys, what if Jones is the seed bismuth?

You know, whatever the hell a seed bismuth is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh no! A rude sentence! The rudest sentence!

Gunnerkrigg Court robots definitely have emotions.

I wonder why "robots don't have emotions" is such a common trope in scifi. If you can program other complex brain functions you can program emotions. They're not some magical thing that only humans can have.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

What ever it is, it's probably good for an upset stomach.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Jones, obviously.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fister Roboto posted:

I wonder why "robots don't have emotions" is such a common trope in scifi. If you can program other complex brain functions you can program emotions. They're not some magical thing that only humans can have.

Because the point of having a humanoid robot or equivalent in a story is to explore what does and doesn't define humanity, and also why on Earth would you program a machine to feel emotions other than 'desire to work harder' and maybe 'job satisfaction'

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 13, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Because the point of having a humanoid robot or equivalent in a story is to explore what does and doesn't define humanity, and also why on Earth would you program a machine to feel emotions other than 'desire to work harder' and maybe 'job satisfaction'

To feel like God.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Why not?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a natural thing to assume, from a literary standpoint, that the extension of intelligence to something built out of calculations would result in an entity as logical as its components; and, further, that because logic is employed to find truth without being misguided by emotionally-charged bias, that a consummately logical inhuman being would manifest that inhumanity as emotionlessness.

It's completely unfounded in reality, where even very simple programs can exhibit emergent chaotic behavior resembling emotions, and simple logical problems like understanding grammatically correct written language stump the most advanced adaptive algorithms with unprecedentedly large training sets and mind-boggling computing power. But it makes poetic sense.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I suspect that whatever Jones is will be tied pretty strongly to the recent Coyote power of human imagination/creativity thing.My theory is a bit muddled but I'm thinking that Jones is a force that stabilizes the influence of human perception on reality. There are a number of situations where coyote's explanation of human's altering reality (through the ether) could be problematic - such as when there are multiple competing perspectives. Jones could serve as a neutral viewpoint that determines an objective reality. This would fit with her personality and the name 'wandering eye'.

That may be some pretty wild speculating, but I am betting that we will see more of how the perception influencing ether stuff fits with other things in gunnerkrigg. Like Zimmy, for one.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I just want to mention some things we know about Jones too:-

-Is she immortal or merely ageless? That is, is the reason she was able to survive the factory explosion, able to walk across lake bottoms and punch walls because she can't die/invulnerable? Or, is it that she's just extremely tough and happens to not age (that we've seen anyway).

-She's the Wandering Eye. This implies she is an observer? At the meeting in the Greeting Hall, Jones' role really does just seem to be look over the proceedings. She notices the seeds being dropped and passed comments on about Ysengrin's new body.

-She seems to be somewhat neutral, as has been pointed out in the previous posts. She stands by the Court during the Visit but doesn't directly talk to the Forest Dwellers or intervene when Ysengrin starts flipping his poo poo (maybe because she saw it was a ruse.) They way she tries to guide Antimony down a path between the Court and Forest is also interesting -- she wants Antimony to consider both sides and doesn't subtly move her toward any one faction.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Coming back to this

Goffer posted:

Speculation: Separated at birth? (separated by death?) This has been done before, right?

http://i.imgur.com/Hffiw.png
In that very picture you can see that Jeanne has green eyes and Jones has black ones. :v:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

YF-23 posted:

Coming back to this

In that very picture you can see that Jeanne has green eyes and Jones has black ones. :v:

Obviously, she wears colored contacts, and she acts emotionless so that she doesn't accidentally open her eyes too wide and they fall out.:colbert:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cat Mattress posted:

How many times can you get attached to a life only to see it all -- the people and place you loved, the things that framed your daily life -- fade away, as your friend wither and die and you have to move to a new place with a new identity?

Plenty, I'd imagine, since forever is a long time to come to terms with death as a fact of life.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Have you seen "A.I."? It's rather good.

Also out of a misguided attempt to make robots fit in better and be able to work more seamlessly alongside humans, in the same way that one Japanese roboticist keeps trying to make perfectly lifelike human faces. Also as an evolutionary programming technique, but those are only metaphorical emotions in the sense of being a few numerical values which are affected by various vaguely defined stimuli in order to create complex behaviours out of simple instructions.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 13, 2012

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Thinking about the idea that Jones is very very old, it reminded me of a speech by, who else, the Lord of Time

Doctor Who posted:

In the end you just get tired, tired of the struggle, tired of losing everyone that matters to you, tired of watching everything turn to dust.

If you live long enough, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone

So maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, maybe her immortality isn't tied to her emotionlessness, but rather her emotionlessnessity is caused by her immortality.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also out of a misguided attempt to make robots fit in better and be able to work more seamlessly alongside humans, in the same way that one Japanese roboticist keeps trying to make perfectly lifelike human faces. Also as an evolutionary programming technique, but those are only metaphorical emotions in the sense of being a few numerical values which are affected by various vaguely defined stimuli in order to create complex behaviours out of simple instructions.

I've always thought the whole Kryten in Red Dwarf / Uncanny Valley way of looking at robots was the way to go. I want robots that look like robots. I thought the old models in the I, Robot movie looked way better than the new freaky mutant-faced obvious-cgi evil ones.

Y'know, help robots gain their own sence of racial identity? I'd say it'd help them have pride in themselves, but as we know robots don't have emotions, and that makes them very sad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The biggest reason is just to answer whether or not you can do it.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Renaissance Robot posted:

Plenty, I'd imagine, since forever is a long time to come to terms with death as a fact of life.

Have you seen "A.I."? It's rather good.

Really not a fan of Spielberg tbh, and the Pinocchio story is again actually about children and faith and growing up, not machines. Machines don't make for good protagonists. Neither do wild coyotes, really, but hey get 'em talking English about poo poo people care about and reenacting human politics with a comical doggy twist and that's some good watchin'. It's about why you bothered, in this fictional story you set the rules for, to not make that particular character a literal human with two arms and two legs and lots of organs made out of meat, and what that remove from humanity means. For robots and other fake people, that's usually having human intellect and the broad strokes mechanical aspects of humanity but missing some less quantifiable stuff! The gunnerkrigg robots are pretty much a straight inversion of the usual deal (stupid uncontrolled but otherwise human robots crudely slapped together are not a thing IRL either).

The other thing was a joke, jesus, but IRL roughly simulated emotion (what can make for a good human interface, hypothetically) is pretty different from actual felt emotion that goes on in your brain! Workplaces don't even like the latter in humans; your coworkers are not in fact all feeling cheerful most of the time, don't care about the weather/ballgame, and several probably wouldn't tolerate you elsewhere.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 13, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
A Reaper drone manifests PTSD; an assembly line has a mid-MTBF crisis and decides it's gonna make art from now on. Siri gets sick of telling you how to get to the Dunkin Donuts every loving day learn to read street signs jesus; later that day you get in a head-on collision with a car too distracted by a screaming match with its driver (they just stopped at a dealership) for either to pay attention to the road. The local nuclear power plant is, apparently, in love with a hydro turbine upstate. Japanese engineers: "Well poo poo, maybe we should have stuck with the silly face machine."

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 13, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The Gunnerkrigg robots' dramatic arc is a well done inversion of a lot of fictional robot tropes. They're the only characters who are shown to have an active religious life, for instance. Tom's done a great job with them.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Prison Warden posted:

I've always thought the whole Kryten in Red Dwarf / Uncanny Valley way of looking at robots was the way to go. I want robots that look like robots. I thought the old models in the I, Robot movie looked way better than the new freaky mutant-faced obvious-cgi evil ones.

Y'know, help robots gain their own sence of racial identity? I'd say it'd help them have pride in themselves, but as we know robots don't have emotions, and that makes them very sad.

The Uncanny Valley at work.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Conot posted:

Thinking about the idea that Jones is very very old, it reminded me of a speech by, who else, the Lord of Time

So maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, maybe her immortality isn't tied to her emotionlessness, but rather her emotionlessnessity is caused by her immortality.

She does a great Jack Benny, but no one really gets it any more.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Spikey posted:

Her Keanu Reeves impression still gets laughs though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spikey posted:

She's not a robot! SHEEEEEEEESH.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

All this robot chat makes me want to re-read Asimov's robot stories. :megaman:

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Looks like Tea-san's twitter has converted to MORT FUN TIME for the Halloween season. Cheesy ghost jokes ahoy! :ghost:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
On fourth read, the bobbies in this page give me a bit of these guys' vibe. It's probably nothing, but it'd be interesting if she was recruited by the Court the same way the others were.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So Elizabeth was not, as we speculated, her original identity. She just stayed there too long.

The name Samuel Langdon sounds familiar to me somehow. Do we know any such person?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bongo Bill posted:

So Elizabeth was not, as we speculated, her original identity. She just stayed there too long.

The name Samuel Langdon sounds familiar to me somehow. Do we know any such person?

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't going insane, but Robert Langdon is apparently Dan Brown's go-to protaganist.

I have no idea why that synapse fired after having not read any of those books in something like 6 years :negative:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 15, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The best part of staying up way later than I planned is Gunnerkrigg at 3am! I wonder if we'll actually see her origin story.

(The worst part is that I'm going to fall asleep in class.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, there was that guy, but he didn't seem to have an estate in Great Britain.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an elderly man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of an unaging adopted daughter.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gnome de plume posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an elderly man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of an unaging adopted daughter.

He mentions the scandal, I'm wondering if he means the scandal that his long-lost daughter has come back to take the claim away from anyone else who might want an old mans estate, or the scandal that we saw on the previous page, that she doesn't age.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Jones is God.

Or whatever the Gunnerkrigg equivalent is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

I just can't get over how intensely beautiful the art in this arc has been. Every page is visually arresting in a different way. :allears: Goodness, so pretty.