Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Daric posted:

It just blew my mind that someone would think they were entitled to free drinks because we don't carry their favorite beer on tap. And why would she even ask me about the Bud Light if she wanted Miller instead? I was so confused.

I've had people insist we give them draft prices for can beers when we (temporarily) run out of draft. Or try to negotiate prices. Am I wearing a tie? This isn't a used car lot last time I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

leica posted:

I've had people insist we give them draft prices for can beers when we (temporarily) run out of draft. Or try to negotiate prices. Am I wearing a tie? This isn't a used car lot last time I checked.

I've had similar...

"Well, seeing as you are out of the house wine, you'll sell me [recommended, next cheapest wine] at house wine prices instead right?"

Nope.

"But that's not fair. You shouldn't run out."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

leica posted:

Running out of draught is pretty bad though- people want their pints, not some lovely gimmick-rear end expensive 33 bottle. With us it's not usually the keg itself that runs out, but the gas for the lager. Whenever that happens we do offer one of our bottles of lager (used to be Miller, then Amstel, now Tiger) for 2.25 rather than 2.85. Saying that, the most common complaint I get is "Fit, there's nae Tennents??". No mate, if you don't see any Tennent's taps, and you don't see any Tennent's bottles, and if the place is plastered with ads for Heineken and Fosters, isn't it bloody loving obvious that we have a different bloody distributor?? Bah.

FYI if you happen to chance upon Tennent's Export or McEwans Export, drink it up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Running out of draught is pretty bad though- people want their pints, not some lovely gimmick-rear end expensive 33 bottle.

We only carry one beer on draft, Bud Light, 3.25 for a 16oz (2.50 happy hour).

Cans (no bottles) are 3.75, so really, would you feel sorry for people complaining?

Also all kegs run out eventually, and because of the size and location of our bar it takes about ten minutes to switch it out BOO loving HOO. Either wait ten minutes or pay for a can. And what really burns my rear end is some of the regulars know the routine yet bitch and moan about it anyway.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 9, 2012

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

leica posted:

We only carry one beer on draft, Bud Light, 3.25 for a 16oz (2.50 happy hour).

Cans (no bottles) are 3.75, so really, would you feel sorry for people complaining?

Also all kegs run out eventually, and because of the size and location of our bar it takes about ten minutes to switch it out BOO loving HOO. Either wait ten minutes or pay for a can.

I meant running out of draught for the day, like. No kegs left at all. Maybe it's a British thing but anything smaller than a pint is for ladies and pubs are supposed to be for manly men with hairy chests carrying hams under their arms wearing hats all the time just so they can take them off whenever they have a strong point of opinion to make on a topic they know nothing about.

How much is 16oz in litres though? And how big are the cans?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coohoolin posted:

16 oz is .47 liters. The cans are 12 oz, so .35 liters.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Coohoolin posted:

I meant running out of draught for the day, like. No kegs left at all. Maybe it's a British thing but anything smaller than a pint is for ladies and pubs are supposed to be for manly men with hairy chests carrying hams under their arms wearing hats all the time just so they can take them off whenever they have a strong point of opinion to make on a topic they know nothing about.

16oz is just under a half liter. Coohoolin, you work in a parallel universe to mine. The dialect and the nuance changes, but that's EXACTLY where I work, just on the other side of the pond and with fewer silly words.

I have my regulars, the old guys getting pissed talking today's poo poo music, annoying technology, crappy cars, good ol' cars, vacations, and wives. Great.

Then I've got something of a different animal. Where you've got Neds, I've got something on a slightly different train. They're something approximating "bros," which are just twenty-something idiot meathead Miller Lite crushing collared shirt wearing cross eyed loud mouthed misogynist white fuckups looking to gently caress everything that has a pulse and looking to drown themselves in Jager as fast as humanly possible, while throwing poo poo around the bar and putting their arms around each other and talking sports or female conquest in a language only known as "High Broglish."

While I do get many a pure "bro" in the bar, I generally have to cater to a uni graduate/late-uni student that has aspects of both "bro" and something a bit more... lame. Like, the "bro" reject. They're the children of yuppies, never learned a loving ounce of manners, and love to vomit before they get to the toilet. When in groups, they are absolutely abominable, and consistently forget their credit cards when they start tabs, thus loving me out of any chance at the lovely tip they would have otherwise left and making all the labor it takes to corral and monitor their dumbfuckery a simple exercise in further loss prevention and collateral damage management. They can be humble when alone, but rarely, and are generally totally thankless. They have white collar middle of the road jobs in boring loving offices, and suck. They are educated, but only in the sense that their parents paid to get them a degree.

So close to a Ned, but not quite.

Fun story from the weekend: Girl orders two Miller Lite bottles.

FE: That's $8 please.
:j:: *hands over a credit card* Close it please.
FE: I've got a $10 minimum on a credit card, I'll start a tab for you then, okay?
:j:: $10 minimum? Okay, give me 12 shots of Rumpleminze and then close me out.

*beat*

FE: ...k.

edit: I watched 2 of those shots just sit untouched on the end of the bar all night, and I think other people drank 4 of them after the girl and her friends only drank six. Meh.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 9, 2012

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Having tabs just seems like a surefire way of losing money.

What you're describing, FaceEater, sound like the "lads" of Britain.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I meant running out of draught for the day, like. No kegs left at all.

Oh well that's never happened, should never happen, and if it does then yeah I would consider running a special on bud cans or something just because we were dumb for running out. But to bitch about the few minutes in between switching out kegs really annoys me.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Just dropped a resume and had the 2 minute drill at a place set to open in a couple days. I don't think I impressed. They barely even looked up. :ohdear:

Attire was a step up from what I'd expect to be wearing there. Ah well.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

To be fair, if they're opening in a couple of days and don't have their hiring done already, then you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have any advice for a college student applying to bounce at a downtown bar? I'm submitting a resume and cover letter and am looking for advice on how I ought to present myself.

Notable about me:
2-0 Amateur MMA Fighter
190lbs

But I don't want to focus on physicality because I don't want to come off as some guy who can't wait to rough up drunks. I also debated varsity policy for 4 years, placed at state, etc.

I just don't know what to lead with/focus on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

Anyone have any advice for a college student applying to bounce at a downtown bar? I'm submitting a resume and cover letter and am looking for advice on how I ought to present myself.

Notable about me:
2-0 Amateur MMA Fighter
190lbs

But I don't want to focus on physicality because I don't want to come off as some guy who can't wait to rough up drunks. I also debated varsity policy for 4 years, placed at state, etc.

I hire and manage the security at my bar and when I hire, I'm looking for confident, alert, articulate, problem solvers. I don't need a lawsuit because some meathead wants to solve every problem with his fists.

On the other hand, some places put a premium on size or bad-assness. If you work at one of those places, you will probably get to fight a lot, if that's your thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fontoyn posted:

Notable about me:
2-0 Amateur MMA Fighter
190lbs

Physicality is a good thing in a bouncer, however needing/wanting to use it is not.

Are you submitting in person or electronically? If you can, submit in person and see if you can get an interview on the spot. In the interview, rather than focusing on your MMA training, ask them about their dress code. If you can get some insight in how to spot fakes (seeing as it's a college town), that would also be good to mention. Similarly, ask them how proactive they'd like you to be in stopping problems before they begin. There will always be idiots spilling drinks on each other, but if someone is there immediately with a towel so they can wipe themselves off, it's much easier to defuse the situation.

You could also ask them how many bouncers they typically have on any given night, and what the bouncer/patron ratio is.

Personally, I'd probably leave the MMA stuff off the resume/cover letter - that makes you sound like a trained fighter (which you are). You want to emphasize your ability to resolve situations without resorting to hitting anyone, instead separating problem individuals, identifying people who need to be ejected before they're an issue, etc.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ah, gently caress. Well, I left a bit of it on. I led with my proficiency in non-violent conflict resolution and thinking/communicating quickly under pressure. My next qual was MMA, being undefeated, being skilled in ending physical conflict without injuring any parties, and a lil bit on weight lifting.

If I get any calls for an interview I'll post back. I hope the MMA info I left on doesn't turn them off too badly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I work in security as well as bartending. You really, REALLY don't want to resort to being physical unless you absolutely have to for the simple fact you can get sued or even go to prison. It's good that you led with your communication and defusing skills, read Facing Violence by Rory Miller, it's a must read for everyone in the business.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I guess I should update my work status for the list... thing.

JawKnee - Bartender and Server at a members only club fine dining restaurant, and at a small independent east-Vancouver bar.

The new place I'm at, Perch, is fan-goddamn-tastic. I can wear my own clothes (if it's not something I'd wear 90% of the time, it's a uniform - and gently caress uniforms, I'm sick of black-and-whites), listen to my own music, and work in a place I identify with ideologically.

Also grats have so far been at the 20-25% mark. :woop:

I'm somewhat surprised we haven't gotten any static from the locals as where we are isn't exactly the nice part of Vancouver, but I guess we're pricing them out somewhat - a good thing too, I'm not a big guy (150lbs and 5'11"), and I tower over and outweigh most of the FoH staff here.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Physicality is a good thing in a bouncer, however needing/wanting to use it is not.

Are you submitting in person or electronically? If you can, submit in person and see if you can get an interview on the spot. In the interview, rather than focusing on your MMA training, ask them about their dress code. If you can get some insight in how to spot fakes (seeing as it's a college town), that would also be good to mention. Similarly, ask them how proactive they'd like you to be in stopping problems before they begin. There will always be idiots spilling drinks on each other, but if someone is there immediately with a towel so they can wipe themselves off, it's much easier to defuse the situation.

You could also ask them how many bouncers they typically have on any given night, and what the bouncer/patron ratio is.

Personally, I'd probably leave the MMA stuff off the resume/cover letter - that makes you sound like a trained fighter (which you are). You want to emphasize your ability to resolve situations without resorting to hitting anyone, instead separating problem individuals, identifying people who need to be ejected before they're an issue, etc.

This is way better than the way I said it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

leica posted:

Oh well that's never happened, should never happen, and if it does then yeah I would consider running a special on bud cans or something just because we were dumb for running out. But to bitch about the few minutes in between switching out kegs really annoys me.

Try working in a pub run by a tight fisted security company that turn out to all be crooks. They would do what they could to get away with running the place on the smallest possible expenses. One night I had 150 people coming in for a 50th birthday or something and had no kegs left. So I called up the head office- "hiya, sorry guys but we haven't gotten a delivery in ages, and I need stocking up for the function tonight" "yeah sure we'll get right on it". Couple of hours later a dude comes by with two 1.5L bottles of cheap vodka, bottle of gin, box of Sol, box of Miller and a box of Bud. No kegs, and just bottled beer for 150 people. I got a right hiding that night.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

nrr posted:

To be fair, if they're opening in a couple of days and don't have their hiring done already, then you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

They did. "All full on staff, but we'll take the resume and a handshake. Come back and pop your head in in a week just to see how things have been going and say hi if you haven't heard back from us yet."

Going to do so. This time a little less hungover.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I apologize about the late reply as always but my father has been in the hospital for the last month and I've been a bit too preoccupied to keep up with the bartednding thread. I'm happy to see that our regulars are as always are keeping up the slack. And remember, if you have a post you want in the OP please pm me. Otherwise, double bag and drink deep.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 11, 2012

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
First Impressions

I immediately love Bill. He's an old salt bartender who is a 50/50 mix of Tommy Chong and Richard Belzer served chilled. As he's training me on my first day he tells me that he's been working here for twenty four years. This place is what I've always called in my head a "Kush Bar". The type of place that has a good combination of mostly regulars and consistent tourists, an institution. The kind of place where you can make stupid cash even on a day shift and best of all it's privately owned and most importantly, run by industry people who have clawed their way to the top through a mixture bribery, nepotism, and gumption and not loving owners or investors.

In this town this place might as well be city hall. We can dine and booze 250 if you combine the upstairs and downstairs as well as another 500 next door in the theater. Local children come here for their birthdays and for celebrations after winning a soccer game. They grow up and start trying to drink here underage when they're eighteen. They turn twenty one and start hanging out here before going to the pitiful clubs down the street for a dozen shots and a punch in the teeth. They get knocked up and become regulars start coming here after work leaving the kids at daycare until 9pm. The kids grow up and they start bringing them here for their birthdays.

Bob is most certainly the first post middle age career bartender I've ever met who honestly loves his job and his life. He is completely cognoscente of the fact that he has been getting paid good money for the last forty years to hang out, party, and get drunk for a living and he's loving every minute of it. Why can't I?

One of the first assignments Boris, the crooked manager of the bar I managed in the City gave me was to track down one of their old waitresses Maria. She'd apparently quit a week before I'd interviewed for the Manager's job and he was absolutely sure that she was an asset to the company and that i could talk her into coming back. It was my first week and for all I knew this was what restaurant managers did on a daily basis. gently caress it I'm not denying a request now. Not yet.

So I manage after some difficulty to get her on the phone and convince her to come and have a cup of coffee at a nearby cafe to discuss coming back. This is in the middle of meeting dozens of staff, reps, vendors, and regulars, learning where things are, alarm codes, distributor pricing, menus, accompanied by a steady drip of kidney stones you could set your watch to.

So halfway into my first week of hell I leave the restaurant to head to a nearby coffee shop to meet Maria. I'm halfway into my third espresso when she sits down at my table at I realize why Boris thought she was such an asset to the organization. She's loving one the hottest chicks I've ever seen. I immediately slap myself in the face with my right palm and groan as she sits down. Sheeeeit.

The entirety of the staff that I'd met thus far represented about two dozen Mexican immigrants of questionable legality and one early twenties Russian girl who was one of the worst waitresses I'd ever seen. Of our floor staff we had about three or four good servers, and they were really good, but they'd been pooling tips and walking home with double digit tips on their best days fore years. The first weeks business had really gotten the floor staff enthusiastic but I needed an anchor. Someone who had done this kind of work before and could show our staff how a normal bar does things, better or worse.

"You better manage a restaurant better than you tie a tie." She finally says.

"I've got an Idea." I look up and say.

One of the first things you'd notice about this bar is that we only hire floor staff from modeling agencies. For the love of Christ they aren't even trying to hide it. There are about twenty 18 year old 5'2" blonde fembots making the rounds at any given time and I'll be dammed if I can keep their names straight. They all end with "ley" and quite frankly if I won't be touching a one of them I couldn't care less. One thing is for certain, if Mrs. Woods got one look at the hiring practices around here her feminist litigiousness would not be happy. She would doubly not be happy with the way many of them are eyeball loving the hell out of me right now.

As I'd said, this place is mostly run by regulars. Most of my orientation consists of introducing me to people that have been drinking here for twenty years and walking me through their drink as well as showing me their personal button on the MICROS station. I soon come to love an hate these fuckers. These thirty to sixty somethings that fester like a mold on the edge of my bar cracking jokes and demanding free shots but always tipping well and conducting themselves like regulars should. This is the first bar job I've ever had where the bar fly's broke me in, and ball busters they were.

Two weeks in and just as think I'm getting the ropes I get called in on an emergency day shift. Without asking questions I tell the office girl that I'll be there bright and early. Little did I know why I was being called. When I get there at eight in the morning I notice several groups of workers making their way into the theater for what looks to me like the beginnings of a wedding. I run in and find the manager and ask whats going on and I finally get the gist. It turns out today is a combination of things. First, the local little league team has made it into the Little League World Series and the entire town is planing on watching the first game here at our bar. Second, one of our longtime waitresses had decided to throw herself off the Golden Gate Bridge the week before and today was her wake. Well gently caress.

What followed was on odd series of mixed emotions. First I watched a small town go all Field of Dreams over some local junior athletes as they jumped to the next round of the series, then followed by twenty years of this bars employees coming to pay their respects to their fallen comrade. This wasn't the first service industry wake I'd been to, and I gotta say, we put the Irish to the test when it comes to tying one on whilst grieving. If I became a banker or an account associate tomorrow, if I had a handful of kids and paid all my taxes, If I bought a minivan and voted like I'm supposed to, would I ever get this many people attending my funeral? I doubt it.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 12, 2012

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
This sounds a lot like the joint I work at -- we're having a wake this Saturday for a regular that died of e coli.

Then again, my place is also a joint that has a wall of suicide notes and memorials all over the goddamned place.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have never had absinthe before. What kind of bar would be a good place to try it for the first time in the Toronto area?

lampey fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 11, 2012

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
'Real' absinthe bars? Nope.

You can only import absinthe for personal use in Canada.

There's a bunch of places in TO that serve absinthe. Souz Dal (iirc, that's the name of it, I've been out of Toronto for a few years now) on College is a nice little place.

EDIT: I should clarify, unlike certain kinds of liquor (eg, Champagne) there are no regulations on what can/cannot be called or branded 'absinthe' so, yes, there are 'absinthe' products in Canada, but not 'traditional' absinthe, if that makes sense.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 11, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Absinthe isn't really a special liquor that will make you high, though. Absinthe imported to the US has to have a certain below-threshold level of thujone in it (the supposedly psychoactive chemical which looks similar to THC), and I don't know what the rules are in Canada. In any case, there were always two kinds of absinthe. The first was Swiss or French made and was a gourmand's drink produced under the typical French gourmand fashion you'd expect. The second was rotgut bathtub absinthe (they made absinthe because of the fru fru reputation and because the primary flavor was so strong it was easy to get away with, same as the bathtub gins in Prohibition era America) often (and still) made in the Czech Republic. It's likely that lots of other stuff was added to this swill (strychnine, embalming fluid, etc) and that the stupors and hallucinations reported from drinking the stuff back in the day were due to that.

Absinthe tastes very strongly of black liquorice and is typically manufactured at very high alcohol content levels. There are a bunch of other anisette type liquors out there, so if you can't try absinthe like you want to just get some sambucca or galliano and dilute it with everclear.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
High Thujone content Absinthe does in fact have a hallucinogenic property to it but you'd be hard pressed to find it anywhere but the Czech Republic. The stuff sold everywhere else has 2mg of Thujone per liter whereas the Czech stuff has 10mg. Absinthe is also over 100 proof so were you to drink enough of the exported stuff to trip you'd be black out drunk. I smuggled a couple bottles of this http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe-absinthe-king-gold-p-56.html back from Prague last time I was there and I can assure you that it is the real deal and you will trip like a madman. That website even insures against confiscation from customs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like my info is out of date. Go figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

(Above link includes rules on thujone content in Canada.)

tl;dr: Thujone basically has the opposite effect on your brain as benzos like ativan or valium. If consumed in large enough amounts it will cause seizures and this effect is the only well documented one. I would expect it to indeed cause you to "trip like a madman" if you had just enough of it (but not too much), where the first noticeable signs of intake would be nervousness, agitation, and hyperactivity (though all of these might obviously be limited by the alcohol). The liver processes it "quickly" according to wikipedia, meaning you probably have to sip away to continue the thujone effects consistently. It is difficult to find in non-negligible doses, the US limit is less than 10mg/kg which is enough to consider a product "thujone-free."

This paper says that thujone's actions are inhibited by alcohol.

Still, I would not be surprised if many of the old stories of early absinthe use in France were due to other substances being present in the liquor.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 11, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

James Woods posted:

High Thujone content Absinthe does in fact have a hallucinogenic property to it but you'd be hard pressed to find it anywhere but the Czech Republic. The stuff sold everywhere else has 2mg of Thujone per liter whereas the Czech stuff has 10mg. Absinthe is also over 100 proof so were you to drink enough of the exported stuff to trip you'd be black out drunk. I smuggled a couple bottles of this http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe-absinthe-king-gold-p-56.html back from Prague last time I was there and I can assure you that it is the real deal and you will trip like a madman. That website even insures against confiscation from customs.

That's the same stuff I brought back from England several years ago as well, at least the name is - label looks a bit different.

I don't know if I would say if I hallucinated on it, but it was a *very* different kind of drunk, and this is coming from someone who routinely calls bullshit on the people who say they turn into a mean drunk when they drink X, or they always party harder when they drink Y.

Most of the old time absinthe stories trace their roots to a Swiss farmer named Jean Lanfray who got rip roaring drunk on wine, brandy, and a bunch of other stuff, and maybe 3 glasses of absinthe, after which he killed his wife.

At the time, absinthe was the drink of choice for the Bohemians in France, and so the ban (which originated in Europe and quickly spread) became a predecessor of Reefer Madness, Prohibition, and even the current ongoing War on Drugs in the US, as it was thought to be the primary cause of moral decay in youth.

Also, technically speaking, any absinthe with 2mg/liter of thujone or less should be labelled absente instead, although this is often ignored for marketing reasons.

AffirmMe
Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys! I just joined and did lurk on the original thread which provided so much information. :) thank you :)

I'm in NYC and have been bartending for about 3 years.

I've only worked at two places with my current being a dive bar and lounge in east village. Before that I did high end retail.

I really want to work my way into more high volume in speakeasy cocktail bars, restaurants, or night clubs. I've been going to many open calls and been called back for interviews for the past month but nothing as of yet. I have wine knowledge and am currently studying for the food protection and I do know the old cocktails but haven't worked with many ingredient drinks since I haven't had that break. I experiment at home and read many blogs such as Difford guide and Degroff. POS I know Aloha and manual lol.

I know looks are very important in NYC. I'm black, skinny, with big boobs and shoulder length hair. I try to wear my hair down for interviews but it gets frizz easily so I do a high bun and not too much makeup and wear all black with boots.

I interviewed at a new restaurant opening in TriBeCa. The bar manager seemed to really like me. Gm was harsh but it is expected for their position. I'm still going to as many places I can and try to follow up.

I know when the interview is short and they say they are still looking I'm likely not going to get the position.

This is probably vague but any advice you can offer is really appreciated.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What do you plan to be doing in five years? Still in the industry?

AffirmMe
Oct 12, 2012

Vegetable Melange posted:

PM me for more details since this is a public forum, but yes, we know the same folks. Had oysters and drinks from Maison's new royal menu the other night, good poo poo.

Ahh I've been wanting to go. Gonna try and swing a trip over there tomorrow. Their absinthe list was pretty impressive to me. Still a newbie so I may not know too much. Applied there as well previously.

AffirmMe
Oct 12, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

What do you plan to be doing in five years? Still in the industry?

To me? I would say yes. Maybe not bartending but still in the industry. I actually may be designing a cocktail menu for my friends wedding reception. That will be a great experience! We joke about it bc shes a wreck with the wedding and wants to do destination blah blah. Still under 25 but many of my friends are in their early 30's.

I have some ideas of a summer based business involving alcohol that I want to start working towards eventually. That is if someone else doesn't do it first or in the way I foresee but I still would go for it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
To go with what we were talking about earlier in that some people just buy the most expensive thing because it's expensive I had a couple come up earlier that wanted 2 Bloody Mary's...with Belvedere.

Way to go buddy, you got a premium vodka and drowned it in cheap Zing Zang mix.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Daric posted:

To go with what we were talking about earlier in that some people just buy the most expensive thing because it's expensive I had a couple come up earlier that wanted 2 Bloody Mary's...with Belvedere.

Way to go buddy, you got a premium vodka and drowned it in cheap Zing Zang mix.

Grey Goose and Red Bull. The best was the guy who kept ordering Goose and Red Bull with a shot of Goose on the side then mixed the shot into his drink after a few sips.

Maybe if he'd tipped worth a poo poo, I'd have mentioned that if he'd ordered Doubles, the 2nd shot would have been half off.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
With the exception of clubs it's almost always young guys doing this poo poo. It's either them trying to look like a big shot ordering top shelf and drowning it with juice and sugar or they're ordering a drink for a girl who normally drinks well but orders top shelf vodka with cranberry when guys are buying them drinks. Nearly all the 30+ regulars at my bar tend to order well for drinks (excluding Martinis and Neats) and call for shots because they'll be parked at the wood for seven hours each evening after work and are already spending $500 a week in here. Hell even the manager who doesn't pay for drinks orders PBRs and shots of Cuervo for himself.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

James Woods posted:

With the exception of clubs it's almost always young guys doing this poo poo. It's either them trying to look like a big shot ordering top shelf and drowning it with juice and sugar or they're ordering a drink for a girl who normally drinks well but orders top shelf vodka with cranberry when guys are buying them drinks. Nearly all the 30+ regulars at my bar tend to order well for drinks (excluding Martinis and Neats) and call for shots because they'll be parked at the wood for seven hours each evening after work and are already spending $500 a week in here. Hell even the manager who doesn't pay for drinks orders PBRs and shots of Cuervo for himself.

I think well drinks or shelf drinks even for something where you won't taste much of it depends on what's in the well. If your well drinks are typical off brand rubbish they might give a worse hangover than the very slightly more expensive upgrade. I'll always upgrade a house vodka up to at least Absolut or Smirnoff whatever I'm drowning it in because it won't cost much more but will make tomorrow more pleasant.

Thankfully in my current place Absolut, Beefeaters, Havana 3 and Famous Grouse are our well shots. Even then I prefer to upgrade a G&T to the more expensive local craft Gin we sell when I'm paying.

Of course, because we're in the financial district I always try the upsell to that brands gin or vodka whatever it's with. It does taste better in drinks where you taste the spirit, and they can afford it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A bar where the people happily drink well is a real bar. A bar where the staff drinks well when they're of hours in the place drinking nearly for free is a good place to work.

Julia Child preferred Beefeater. Don't get fussy. Drink to be drunk.

With that said, in NYC a lot of places have pricing that goes something like "Crystal Palace gin 13, Hendrick's 15" so what's the point of getting well.

=====

When I was on the poo poo list at that club I used to work at and they punished me by.putting me on the back bar I'd always tell service to let me know if they got any complaints about the strength of the drinks. We often did, depending on the crowd. You "cain't taste da likka" on your Goose and cran? Sorry sir. I can fix that for you with a poorly mixed glass of Popov and cran, and you'll love it. It'll be the night of your life, the first time your ridiculous irrational request had ever been honored.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 13, 2012

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

A bar where the people happily drink well is a real bar. A bar where the staff drinks well when they're of hours in the place drinking nearly for free is a good place to work.

Julia Child preferred Beefeater. Don't get fussy. Drink to be drunk.

With that said, in NYC a lot of places have pricing that goes something like "Crystal Palace gin 13, Hendrick's 15" so what's the point of getting well.

Oh I have nothing against Beefeater... If we're out of one specific Gin I love (Sipsmith) I'll happily drink it all night long. I just honestly don't think you can beat a properly made G&T with Sipsmith gin. The same thing with Beefeater is about 90% there, but for the extra 40p (without discount)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
We have Belvedere as our well vodka. This talk of upgrading to Smirnoff has me realising that this must not be very common. Although I work in a cocktail bar, seeing as the bar is 'sponsored' by Belvedere its more for show than any actual taste improvement.
Beefeater, Calle 23 and Havana Club are our other whites in the well.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 14, 2012

• Locked thread