Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
This Prime, Perform, Recover and G2 garbage have ruined Gatorade forever. I think OG Orange tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maybe it's just down to whoever produces it for the UK market, but I tried it when it first came out, and then I've had to have someone else's a couple of times when I've run out of my own, and every time the same result. It just tastes like an agglomeration of things that aren't food, whereas with Lucozade it's at least like the guy who mixed it up ate some fruit once.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Is gatorade fairly knew in the uk? I remember you saying you had "tried it once" which sounded odd considering it has been a staple in america for as long as I can remember and is sold in every store that has drinks

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Sash! posted:

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

Not sure why this disappointed me...

The flavors available in the multi-gallon bags that teams buy in bulk for water coolers are pretty limited and usually 1 full bag takes care of all the coolers and water bottles you'd need for 1 game.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Is gatorade fairly knew in the uk? I remember you saying you had "tried it once" which sounded odd considering it has been a staple in america for as long as I can remember and is sold in every store that has drinks

Since sports drinks have been a thing, the market's been pretty much cornered by Lucozade, and they basically had 20 years to establish themselves before Coke and Pepsi waded in; they've got enough sales to make it worthwhile, but Lucozade's still got something like 60-70% of the market. It's quite amusing when you consider that this is the combined marketing forces of Coke and Pepsi we're talking about.

It's basically the same problem that Powerade has in the USA; Gatorade is such a gigantic gorilla, and it had so much lead time to set itself up comfortably and get settled in, that no matter how hard they push, the gorilla isn't going anywhere that it doesn't want to. Over here, Lucozade is the gorilla and always will be as long as every time a Premier League player goes down injured, on come the Lucozade bottles.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

McKracken posted:

The flavors available in the multi-gallon bags that teams buy in bulk for water coolers are pretty limited and usually 1 full bag takes care of all the coolers and water bottles you'd need for 1 game.

You would think Tom Brady could get Iceberg Blue whenever Tom Brady wanted Iceberg Blue.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chichevache posted:

You would think Tom Brady could get Iceberg Blue whenever Tom Brady wanted Iceberg Blue.

They're not sampling the bouquet or anything. You're just trying to get rehydrated as quickly as possible so you can get back on the field. I'm sure if you requested a different flavor, you'd be able to get it, but if you're a professional athlete you're probably numb to the taste of Gatorade by the time you're in your mid-20's.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Trin Tragula posted:

Since sports drinks have been a thing, the market's been pretty much cornered by Lucozade, and they basically had 20 years to establish themselves before Coke and Pepsi waded in; they've got enough sales to make it worthwhile, but Lucozade's still got something like 60-70% of the market. It's quite amusing when you consider that this is the combined marketing forces of Coke and Pepsi we're talking about.

It's basically the same problem that Powerade has in the USA; Gatorade is such a gigantic gorilla, and it had so much lead time to set itself up comfortably and get settled in, that no matter how hard they push, the gorilla isn't going anywhere that it doesn't want to. Over here, Lucozade is the gorilla and always will be as long as every time a Premier League player goes down injured, on come the Lucozade bottles.

Who are the Lucoz that it is aiding?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Less surprising when you realise Lucozade has the power of GSK behind it

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't really settled on any team to support in the NFL yet. I must admit I have a mancrush on RG3, and he seems like a really likable guy. However the rest of the Redskins I don't have much to say about them, other than they aren't really much good probably. Not sure how smart it is to cheer for a team based purely on the QB? And I've read that the Redskins have a really bad arena, bad fans, bad coaches .. How much of this is true? Will supporting the Redskins make me have a bad time watching football? I was thinking about the Pats but to be honest I don't want to be a bandwagon fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Skins are in a weird place right now where it might be exactly the right time to start cheering for them. They've been bad for about the last 2 decades without much in the way of hope, but if you're going to choose a team to support based on one position QB is the correct position to use. If you're a history buff they were very good to excellent in the 80s and early 90s, but that doesn't do much now. The fans and coaches are more or less fine, people love to complain about coaches but Shanahan is ok (he's certainly not the worst out there). The name Redskins is also ridiculously racist, but that's more of an aside. The real problem is ownership, Dan Snyder is amazingly terrible for many reasons which we can expand on if you're curious.

But in the end as far as enjoying the game this could be the perfect time to start following them. It's also possible RG3 gets hurt or doesn't pan out and the franchise continues to be awful for another decade or so.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

The Skins are in a weird place right now where it might be exactly the right time to start cheering for them. They've been bad for about the last 2 decades without much in the way of hope, but if you're going to choose a team to support based on one position QB is the correct position to use. If you're a history buff they were very good to excellent in the 80s and early 90s, but that doesn't do much now. The fans and coaches are more or less fine, people love to complain about coaches but Shanahan is ok (he's certainly not the worst out there). The name Redskins is also ridiculously racist, but that's more of an aside. The real problem is ownership, Dan Snyder is amazingly terrible for many reasons which we can expand on if you're curious.

But in the end as far as enjoying the game this could be the perfect time to start following them. It's also possible RG3 gets hurt or doesn't pan out and the franchise continues to be awful for another decade or so.
Yeah I'm sort of afraid of he getting injured, he's gotten alot of hits already. And the recent concussion .. hopefully he'll be a bit more careful. People talking about him being a bust, what's that about? Is that still an issue or is it more about the pre-draft? I like watching alot of teams, but I just find myself cheering more for the Redskins because of RG3. If he got the franchise into the playoffs that would probably be a good start, but it won't happen on his rookie year. Because obviously this is a team game. And yeah, I heard about Snyder and his awful ways. I'd love to hear more on why he's a lovely owner. But please, tell me more about the pros and cons of being a Redskins fan. :allears:

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Well I mean it's 2012 and there's still a team called the loving Redskins so I guess root for whoever you want or whatever.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Support the ravens and cheer for every position but qb. Although we got beat by the chiefs in that regard last week.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Batoot posted:

Yeah I'm sort of afraid of he getting injured, he's gotten alot of hits already. And the recent concussion .. hopefully he'll be a bit more careful. People talking about him being a bust, what's that about? Is that still an issue or is it more about the pre-draft? I like watching alot of teams, but I just find myself cheering more for the Redskins because of RG3. If he got the franchise into the playoffs that would probably be a good start, but it won't happen on his rookie year. Because obviously this is a team game. And yeah, I heard about Snyder and his awful ways. I'd love to hear more on why he's a lovely owner. But please, tell me more about the pros and cons of being a Redskins fan. :allears:

Snyder is simultaneously the best owner and the worst owner.

He's the best because he'll shell out tons of loving cash to bring in superstar players.

He's the worst because everyone he brings in is horrible or past their prime.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Batoot posted:

I was thinking about the Pats but to be honest I don't want to be a bandwagon fan.
You're not a bandwagon fan if you stick with it.

The Patriots have Vince Wilfork.
- He's a well-conditioned athlete.
- He shills for Big Y roast chickens
- He's a spongebob fan. He likes spongebob. Any questions?

The Patriots have Chandler Jones, brother of Jon "Bones" Jones, who apparently is an MMA fighter.

The Patriots have Rob Gronkowski, who is a big good and also already holds some records for the tight end position.

The Patriots have Bill Belichick, and I've yet to root for a team with a more fun coach to root for. He hates the media, cheats to win, and changes the way football is played sometimes.

The Patriots also, of course, have :swoon: Tom Brady :swoon: who is not only the most handsome man in football, he's also one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the sport. Plus he knocked up one supermodel then soon after married another. Champion.

Join the dark side. :twisted:

Zorkon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 11, 2012

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zorkon posted:

You're not a bandwagon fan if you stick with it.

The Patriots have Vince Wilfork.
- He's a well-conditioned athlete.
- He shills for Big Y roast chickens
- He's a spongebob fan. He likes spongebob. Any questions?

The Patriots have Chandler Jones, brother of Julio "Bones" Jones, who apparently is an MMA fighter.

The Patriots have Rob Gronkowski, who is a big good and also already holds some records for the tight end position.

The Patriots have Bill Belichick, and I've yet to root for a team with a more fun coach to root for. He hates the media, cheats to win, and changes the way football is played sometimes.

The Patriots also, of course, have :swoon: Tom Brady :swoon: who is not only the most handsome man in football, he's also one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the sport. Plus he knocked up one supermodel then soon after married another. Champion.

Join the dark side. :twisted:

Also, Brady will be retiring in the next few years, so you can experience a real good team now, and a real bad team when that happens.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Batoot posted:

Seriously, the name Redskins is really loving racist. Where are you from? Pick the worst slur you can think of and apply it to a team name. That is what you're about to cheer for. Go be a Tampa Bay fan. They could use help.

Zorkon posted:

The Patriots have Chandler Jones, brother of Julio "Bones" Jones, who apparently is an MMA fighter.

It's actually Jon, not Julio. And he is the undisputed light heavy weight champ.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Seriously, the name Redskins is really loving racist. Where are you from? Pick the worst slur you can think of and apply it to a team name. That is what you're about to cheer for. Go be a Tampa Bay fan. They could use help.

I can hear Long John Silver already. "BUCCANEERS? What is that foul nonsense. *spits* I'll hang ye from the bloody yardarm if ye call me that again. I'm a bleedin' PIRATE and don't you ferget it!"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Why would you choose the Redskins if you are new to football? That's like wanting to get into EPL and choosing to follow the Bolton Wanderers.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Support the ravens and cheer for every position but qb. Although we got beat by the chiefs in that regard last week.

Flacco owns. :colbert:

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also, Brady will be retiring in the next few years, so you can experience a real good team now, and a real bad team when that happens.
Every Sunday night I lie awake in fear of Belichick and Brady retiring at the same time. Join me in fear, Batoot!

Chichevache posted:

It's actually Jon, not Julio. And he is the undisputed light heavy weight champ.
Thanks, my mistake, edited.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Less surprising when you realise Lucozade has the power of GSK behind it

But the interesting thing to me is how cannily they spend; they only do big ad buys when there's a reason to. Most of their marketing is done through placement and sponsorship (and ensuring they have bottles in every shop that a van delivers to), that's why they've just bought the McLaren rear wing.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Chandler Jnes is Jon Jones' brother? Holy poo poo, those are some pretty good genes.

Jon Jones is a pretty amazing fighter

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Blackula69 posted:

Chandler Jnes is Jon Jones' brother? Holy poo poo, those are some pretty good genes.

Jon Jones is a pretty amazing fighter

Arthur Jones on the Ravens is another sibling.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

Flacco owns. :colbert:

Even if I were to accept that Flacco owns, he owns nowhere near as much as Ngata, Rice, Lewis, Reed, etc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

JRizzle posted:

Arthur Jones on the Ravens is another sibling.

Yeah, before the Ravens game, ESPN had all three in a room talking. They are a pretty ridiculously gifted family.

Unlike the Gronkowskis where every story just makes me think the dad was a sociopath.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

Unlike the Gronkowskis where every story just makes me think the dad was a sociopath.

I get that feeling about the mannings.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Didn't the Gronks beat the poo poo out of each other 24/7 in some institutionalized form of toughening up or something

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Didn't the Gronks beat the poo poo out of each other 24/7 in some institutionalized form of toughening up or something

Also their dad would whip tennis balls at their faces when they were 4 to develop their hands. "At first they'd get hit in the face and start crying, then they learned not to be afraid of the ball" or some other crazy child-scarring sports dad quote here instead.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KettleWL posted:

Also their dad would whip tennis balls at their faces when they were 4 to develop their hands. "At first they'd get hit in the face and start crying, then they learned not to be afraid of the ball" or some other crazy child-scarring sports dad quote here instead.

He would line them up in front of the garage and throw the balls at them. As they grew older (6 or 7) he would use a racket. :stonk:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I get that feeling about the mannings.

Why?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

In Gronkdad's defence I might do the same if I knew my kids would grow up to be monstrous in size

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone have thefirstrow.eu's desktop app to stream HD? I want it but I'm worried it's going to put bad poo poo on my PC.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Do you live in the US?

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Blackula69 posted:

Do you live in the US?

Yeah.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Well then you're hosed for legal alternatives. Looks like you're the guinea pig

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

In Gronkdad's defence I might do the same if I knew my kids would grow up to be monstrous in size

I got yelled at by my mom for doing something like this to my nephew.

He was two and had a small football. I'd hand him the ball, then knock it out of his hand and yell "protect the ball!" Well eventually he figured it out!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

If you're 6'3" and your wife is 5'10" maybe it's time to torture your children into being sports stars.

On a related note, Andre Agassi's book is totally amazing and a great read for anyone interested in the sports dad phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blackula69 posted:

If you're 6'3" and your wife is 5'10" maybe it's time to torture your children into being sports stars.

On a related note, Andre Agassi's book is totally amazing and a great read for anyone interested in the sports dad phenomenon.

It's kinda cool that Agassi didn't mind tearing down his own legacy. Not very smart, but it's cool that he opened up about his own hosed up existence instead of waiting for someone else to unearth it. Also lol wigs

• Locked thread