Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Usually I have zero problems waiting for the 45-minute cut, and y'all are making it so difficult this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably going to watch the 45 minute version as well.

I'm wondering how much of it they thought was going to get cut. Some of it felt like actual discussion between people "in the business" rather than panel show banter. It was weird in a way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I agree Jimmy Carr could have turned the atmosphere around, Frankie Boyle on the other hand... no.
Boyle's a one-trick pony, there's no way he could have dealt with that round as well as Balding, or recovered from it as gracefully as Carr would.

I did think the Hamza joke was great.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Odd how the studio booed the Justin Lee Collins joke more though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goatface posted:

I'm probably going to watch the 45 minute version as well.

I'm wondering how much of it they thought was going to get cut. Some of it felt like actual discussion between people "in the business" rather than panel show banter. It was weird in a way.
There have been approximately a million episodes of HIGNFY over the last century, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to break the mould occasionally.
It would have been weird not to mention it. Why pretend the show exists in a vacuum?

Although this one is going to be odd on Dave in a year's time. More so than normal.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Frankie Boyle would have been a completely terrible host when they were talking about Jimmy Savile. It was handled very well by everyone and he inevitably would have ruined it, just as everything he touches in his life turns to ash

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Odd how the studio booed the Justin Lee Collins joke more though.

They didn't boo. It was a hiss. "Ooh can you really joke about that? A bit close to the bone"
Domestic abuse not being a wealth of comedy (unless you're Jimmy Carr).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In fairness to them, Collins did have amazing luck on the timing of his conviction. He looks positively benign in comparison. What a palaver.

Oh, bad times.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
This HIGNFY came out as something really different then normal to me. Dont really know how to put it, it just turned so cold in the studio. They had to address it I suppose and you could really feel the tension.
That said I like how it turned out, Ian didn't 'soap box' and said the right things but that Hamza joke really did bomb.

You go to comedy clubs and see tv shows like this, occasionally a bad taste joke might get a boo or hiss but I've never seen one get a stunned silence like that, quite frighting really.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In any other edition the Hamza joke would have been fine, would in fact have gone over well. While the delivery wasn't great, it wasn't bad either. It was just that the 'bubble' of comedy had been so comprehensively burst by the previous round.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I thought there was a good deal of humour in just listening to the tumbleweed and watching the panelists all turn their nose up at it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Really, that episode is what the show should always have been. Biting, brutal, and occasionally uncomfortable. The news needs to be made fun of, yes, but sometimes it just needs to be exposed in simple terms that everyone can grasp and left to wallow in its own filth.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Paperhouse posted:

I thought there was a good deal of humour in just listening to the tumbleweed and watching the panelists all turn their nose up at it

Now I want to see an HIGNY-Shooting Stars crossover

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Z-Magic posted:

Now I want to see an HIGNY-Shooting Stars crossover

The Paedo From Above! The Paedo From Above!

I'll get my coat.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I swear it's just that panel show audiences are just getting more easily offended than they used to. The audience booed and hissed when Dara made a joke about not being able to trust the police, and he was just bemused and had to say 'The Hillsborough report was LAST WEEK FOR GOD'S SAKE'.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Perfect Element posted:

I swear it's just that panel show audiences are just getting more easily offended than they used to. The audience booed and hissed when Dara made a joke about not being able to trust the police, and he was just bemused and had to say 'The Hillsborough report was LAST WEEK FOR GOD'S SAKE'.

I blame McIntyre and Hart and their bland, inoffensive comedy :argh:

Testro
May 2, 2009
Totally agree with the 'easily offended' audience. Make it a joke about shooting chavs though, and it'd have gone down a storm.

I felt that Balding should've responded with, "What, too soon?" after the 9/11 joke.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Paedo From Above! The Paedo From Above!

They really don't want to see those fingers!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've been rewatching The Supersizers Go...

I forgot how much charm and chemistry Giles Coren and Sue Perkins have together. A fantastic show that everyone should watch.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

VogeGandire posted:

I've been rewatching The Supersizers Go...

I forgot how much charm and chemistry Giles Coren and Sue Perkins have together. A fantastic show that everyone should watch.

Is that meant to be coming back? I don't like Giles Coren really, but they've got a great back and forth. Makes it a very good watch.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

onoflalks posted:

Is that meant to be coming back? I don't like Giles Coren really, but they've got a great back and forth. Makes it a very good watch.

I think it was the way they behaved like bickering siblings. They were perpetually trying to out-do each other and were totally unafraid to come across as unattractive, spoiled, disgusting human beings, as long as they won.

My favourite was the one in which they were French aristocrats at the court of Versailles. Within 5 minutes they're playing at who can slide the furthest across a newly waxed floor, within 20 Giles has genuinely attempted to electrocute Sue, and by the end they're chucking eggs at each other and giggling like toddlers while bemused historians try to get out of the way.

I'd like to see it come back too (perhaps with Lucy Womsley as their faux-nanny. Bet she'd keep them in order)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irisi posted:

I think it was the way they behaved like bickering siblings. They were perpetually trying to out-do each other and were totally unafraid to come across as unattractive, spoiled, disgusting human beings, as long as they won.

My favourite was the one in which they were French aristocrats at the court of Versailles. Within 5 minutes they're playing at who can slide the furthest across a newly waxed floor, within 20 Giles has genuinely attempted to electrocute Sue, and by the end they're chucking eggs at each other and giggling like toddlers while bemused historians try to get out of the way.

I'd like to see it come back too (perhaps with Lucy Womsley as their faux-nanny. Bet she'd keep them in order)

The Elizabethan one was great too, when they ended up bouncing the calves' foot jelly on the table before accidentally sticking it to the roof.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irisi posted:

(perhaps with Lucy Womsley as their faux-nanny. Bet she'd keep them in order)

I... I'll be back in a minute, I need to go.... do something. Yeah.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbZTOhoMZw
You know in retrospect Matthew Bannister's cull of Radio 1 DJs appears to be even smarter now than it did then.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I don't like the new Newsnight studio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When does the 'Bit More News' cut come out, I always thought it was the next day but the iPlayer version of HIGNFY is the normal one.

I'm not sure which joke everyone is referring to, but there is an awkward cut after Linehan says 'puppet' then seems to apologise... has it been chopped?

edit: ah there it is, I didn't realise Claire was going to go back to Hamza after the Chavez derail.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

The pHo posted:

When does the 'Bit More News' cut come out, I always thought it was the next day but the iPlayer version of HIGNFY is the normal one.

I'm not sure which joke everyone is referring to, but there is an awkward cut after Linehan says 'puppet' then seems to apologise... has it been chopped?

edit: ah there it is, I didn't realise Claire was going to go back to Hamza after the Chavez derail.

You've probably got your answer now, but it's on Mondays at 10:35 after the news (11:05 if you're in Scotland because we've got Gary: Tank Commander to watch first)

And I still think that Hamza joke is fantastic. Bollocks the audience for not laughing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

onoflalks posted:

(11:05 if you're in Scotland because we've got Gary: Tank Commander to watch first)

Have we got to? :byodood:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Have we got to? :byodood:

If you've not got Sky, yes. :scotland:

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

onoflalks posted:

(11:05 if you're in Scotland because we've got Gary: Tank Commander to watch first)

11.05 in Wales too, we had Vicar Academy to watch first.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

atomic gog posted:

11.05 in Wales too, we had Vicar Academy to watch first.

Is it as dull as it sounds?

e: it seems to be, yes

The BBC posted:

Documentary series following trainee vicars. This episode charts the progress of plain-speaking Roz, Huw, who considers himself an anarchist and former banker Steven.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Imagining Vicar Academy has one really tall & strong vicar, one vicar who is very small and timid but shouts really loud when they lose their temper, a smooth talking ladies man vicar, a vicar that can mimic the sound of practically anything.

And their church is opposite the Blue Oyster bar.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I agree, that was the best HIGNFY in a while. I even liked the abu hamza joke. Wish it'd always be that dark and thoughtful, though I'm sure Jo Brand will come along and joke about her husband or her weight and make it cosy and poo poo again. I like my political satire to be angry.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Imagining Vicar Academy has one really tall & strong vicar, one vicar who is very small and timid but shouts really loud when they lose their temper, a smooth talking ladies man vicar, a vicar that can mimic the sound of practically anything.

And their church is opposite the Blue Oyster bar.

Clergymen on Patrol.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

justcola posted:

I agree, that was the best HIGNFY in a while. I even liked the abu hamza joke. Wish it'd always be that dark and thoughtful, though I'm sure Jo Brand will come along and joke about her husband or her weight and make it cosy and poo poo again. I like my political satire to be angry.

Yeah but I'm not sure I like my Saturday evening telly to be angry.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
As a woman who is hoping to get a DPhil, who also has a slight speech impediment and big eyebrows, I could watch Lucy Worsley present anything.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Sion posted:

Yeah but I'm not sure I like my Saturday evening telly to be angry.

I'd rather have angry telly over Jo Brand.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

onoflalks posted:

I'd rather have angry telly over Jo Brand.

But she is angry! About her husband and chocolate and being fat and middle-aged and jesus christ I can't even be sarcastic, she's that awful.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

WHY DOES SHE KEEP GETTING CALLED BACK TO HOST?! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

onoflalks posted:

WHY DOES SHE KEEP GETTING CALLED BACK TO HOST?! :argh:

Nothing better to do.