Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy gently caress, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with price gouging rear end in a top hat stores like that, the biggest I was price gouged was $11 for a 22 ounce Sculpin bomber before Ballast Point was in New Jersey and since I've said gently caress you to that store.

Edit: From Firestone Walker

quote:

Wookey Jack and DBA take gold at Great American Beer Festival and Double Jack takes a Bronze! Thanks to all our friends and supporters in the Craft Beer industry, cheers to all the other winners!

Awesome.

Edit 2: How the gently caress did Shiner's Bock, Bohemian Black, and their Oktoberfest win golds?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Midorka posted:

Edit 2: How the gently caress did Shiner's Bock, Bohemian Black, and their Oktoberfest win golds?

Shiner Black Lager is totally legit and I welcme this news.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

Holy gently caress, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with price gouging rear end in a top hat stores like that, the biggest I was price gouged was $11 for a 22 ounce Sculpin bomber before Ballast Point was in New Jersey and since I've said gently caress you to that store.

Sculpin bombers are 8-10 dollars in my neck of the woods here in Florida. I've done my share of shopping in Jersey, and prices are more expensive there than they are down here in FL. :psyduck:

Not that it really matters, since all I buy are fifteen dollar sixers of Sculpin now anyway.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Sculpin is, now that I'm not buying it on the "black market", actually $7.99 here regularly, the 6 packs are only $12.49 though.

I'm drinking a Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel and it's pretty fantastic. I'm glad I randomly bought it from the sale cart.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Peche Mortel on the sale cart? Sculpin bombers for $7.99? i guess someone is trying to balance out that fact that NJ is such a bullshit bucolic, sheep-loving state, huh?

whoa, been out/at work all day and apparently VA's own Devil's Backbone won a fuckload of medals at GABF? uh, this is much weirder to me than Mekong winning that best bar thing, because i wouldn't even put DB in the top three in VA, and i've had a fair amount of the stuff they don't bottle. yeah, i just looked, and none of the beer they won for is really that great- weak categories, maybe?

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 14, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

Peche Mortel on the sale cart? Sculpin bombers for $7.99? i guess someone is trying to balance out that fact that NJ is such a bullshit state, huh?

Sculpin is normally $7.99 here, at a store that doesn't mark-up things past 20%-25%, the store I found Peche Mortel at in the sale cart is also the same store I found Firestone 14 and other 2011 BA Firestone beers as late as last December, long after release, it's a lovely store in a lovely area that shouldn't get any high profile beers, but it does.

What makes New Jersey a bullshit state? Are you just reiterating such old stereotype crud that most people do, or are you talking from experience from being in North Jersey? Because I can understand either of those points since you'd either be brainwashed to think NJ sucks, or you'd have a skewed perception since North Jersey blows. Either way, you're wrong. New Jersey has it's problems and downfalls, like every state, but none of those you would possibly know about unless you lived here such as high property taxes, high car insurance, rear end in a top hat drivers, and etc. And BTW all pre-conceived bullshit you hear about New Jersey is based off the North side, not Southern Jersey.

Sorry for going off-topic I'm just sick of sheep mentality with no factual backing.

Edit: Sierra Nevada/Ovila Dubbel from Feb 28 this year is either heavily oxidized, somehow, or is just heavy as gently caress on raisins/grapes in the flavor.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 14, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Peche Mortel is my favorite coffee stout in the world (non-BA'd). I gladly throw down $5+ for bottles when I see it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

I'm from Jersey.
My condolences.

Anyways, I'm looking into planning a rather extensive Euro trip this coming summer, mostly focusing on Scotland (based out of Perth, Glasgow, or Edinburgh) and Paris, probably also including a day-ish trip to Belgium because who the gently caress am I kidding. What are some spots I should be on the lookout for? Breweries of course, but I'm also looking at bars, pubs, or restaurants worth hitting up. Trying to start assembling a list of possible places to hit while I'm there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Had an absolute blast at GABF Saturday afternoon. I was worried about crowds and lines but honestly it wasn't an issue in the slightest. Got there an hour early but it probably wasn't necessary; we were a good ways back in the line but once they opened the doors we were in and getting our first beers within 15 minutes. Similarly, even at the most popular breweries (Russian River, Cigar City and Lost Abbey from what I saw) we waited just a minute or two for our pours. There were a ton of people but the hall is enormous and it didn't feel crowded, just full of activity and fun.

Did pretty well sticking to my list of poo poo I wanted to try, although I spaced out and forgot to visit Founders and Bell's :smith: Some standout beers I've never had before were Bourbon County Stout (holy poo poo, I never thought a beer could live up to this hype, but BCS is goooood), Coolship Resurgam and Curieux from Allagash, La Cumbre Elevated IPA (gold medal winner last year, lived up to it), Heretic Gramerye, the Helles from Chuckanut and Uinta's Labyrynth.

The only thing that was a little lame--and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, whatever, there was still an embarrassment of riches--was that a lot of special and rare poo poo seemed to be broken out at the very first session and long gone by the time we got there. Stone was out of their bourbon barrel RIS and porters, Sam Adams had no Utopias, no Raspberry Tart at New Glarus, etc. Must have been even slimmer pickings for the last session. Come on guys, it's the homebrewers' association session, bust out some of the good poo poo.

Good to see a lot of my northern Colorado brewers winning medals, too. Funkwerks took two golds and Small Brewery of the Year, and a guy from my homebrew club got a cold for his pro-am collaboration with New Belgium. Left Hand, Odell, New Belgium, Equinox, Fort Collins Brewery and Grimm Brothers all did very well for themselves.

All in all I had an awesome time. I wasn't sure it would live up to the hype and expense, but it was totally worth it. And I got to high-five Jamil for his medal, which was fun as a homebrew geek.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I made a big brunch for some friends this morning and a couple of them brought over a mysterious bottle-shaped paper bag, poured tasters for everybody, and said "guess what this is!"

It was Rogue Voodoo Doughnut.

In fairness, I did like it a little bit better when I had a couple more sips alongside my french toast, but... yeah I don't think I need to try any of that again. Only 2 out of 6 of us finished our tastes and everything else got dumped. I gave my glass a rinse and refilled it with some homebrew porter and the entire thing still tasted like smoked Aunt Jemima.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Welp I'm all exhausted from a week of GABF. A fun time though for sure. It was my first time so I got to experience a lot of new things. I heard a lot of negativity about the craziness of the sessions, but I thought they were great. Some crazy lines (ours among them) but also many many booths with virtually no one and fast pours. Talking to a lot of other brewery people and setting up endless potential collaborations was pretty great too. Also going up on stage with the rest of the brewery dudes to accept a medal for Cucumber Saison was pretty awesome. :unsmith:

Despite how long our lines were, it was never hectic. People usually knew what they wanted and got out of the way quickly to let others get beers. Fun time overall.

Also: Super Hassler is a cool and giant loving guy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Went out and got some beers of different varieties when I went to hang out with some friends.

The IPA sucked, terribly. The Norse Legend was pretty good.

However the Weihenstephaner blew everything else out of the water. Definately go get it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

However the Weihenstephaner...Definately go get everything they make.

Quoted/edited for clarification.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Also: Super Hassler is a cool and giant loving guy.

Aw thank you! I wound up spending most of the last day around Blake as promised, tho I borrowed a bike and went to Black Shirt Brewing's opening. Another small brewery trying to stick out in Denver (their thing is doing a base red ale, then coming up with all kinds of permutations to it). Pretty good. In a very abandoned-looking joint in Denver so I missed it the first couple of passes.

I'm glad to see no less than four Bend breweries won something this year, beating cities like Chicago :woop:

Unrelated to anything, I was curious and so here's the SA AA chapter based on post count to this thread
code:
Midorka             510
danbanana           412
funkybottoms        284
crazyfish           218
Angry Grimace       204
air-                201
Docjowles           197
Sirotan             170
Munkaboo            166
SUPER HASSLER       162

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 15, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Unrelated to anything, I was curious and so here's the SA AA chapter based on post count to this thread
code:
Midorka             510
danbanana           412
funkybottoms        284
crazyfish           218
Angry Grimace       204
air-                201
Docjowles           197
Sirotan             170
Munkaboo            166
SUPER HASSLER       162

i need to drink more and post less, actually (or possibly not spend so much time on the computer while at work)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

(or possibly not spend so much time on the computer while at work)

Jesus I waste a lot of time here...

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Not too surprising seeing Midorka on the top there

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Went out and got some beers of different varieties when I went to hang out with some friends.

The IPA sucked, terribly.

Oh hey, that's Joseph James's IIPA. What did you find so offensive about it? It's easily their weakest beer, but I wouldn't call it terrible.

Not shocked you liked the Weihenstephaner best by a wide margin. They kind of define world-class.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I went to the LoKal and drank John Wakefield's Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner and Miami Madness. It was like the fourth time I've had each, and they're loving insanely good, and my two non-beergeek friends are still talking about them several days later.

Drank from a Narke Tulip. Frothing head.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I went to the LoKal and drank John Wakefield's Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner and Miami Madness. It was like the fourth time I've had each, and they're loving insanely good, and my two non-beergeek friends are still talking about them several days later.

Drank from a Narke Tulip. Frothing head.

Yeah, PFDF is in my top five beers of all time. It is so good.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Had a few tasty brews this weekend.

Southern Tier Harvest Ale - Just meh to me. I was hoping for more of a wet hop ale, but this was more of a tame IPA. Pass.

Ballast Point Sculpin - Best by date of 10/27 so I don't know how old it was, but god drat I love this beer. It's just such a great balance between the intense hoppiness you look for in a DIPA but without the syrupy sweetness to go with it.

Firestone Wookey Jack - Without a doubt the best Black IPA I've ever had. Just awesome.

Raging Bitch Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout. Meh, tasted mostly like a decent stout. Not very much mineral character.

Raging Bitch The Fear Pumpkin Ale - really quite nice for a pumpkin ale. It's a bit darker in color and doesn't overdo it with the spices. It also hides the alcohol relatively well.

Southern Tier Pumking - I'm not wild about pumpkin ales (although I don't hate them as much as many in this thread do) but this is hands down my favorite. The aroma is just unbeatable. This was actually a bottle that had been sitting in the back of my fridge for a year, so I was worried that it would have lost a lot of the spice, but it was surprisingly still in good shape.

I've got a Ballast Point Sea Monster I'll be popping tonight.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a Bell's Two Hearted for the first time this weekend. It did not disappoint and I'll have to pick up a six pack of this when I have room in the fridge. I also had a bomber of Port Brewing Midnight Expression Lager and while it was only $5, I don't think I'll be getting it again. It was a pretty unremarkable black lager. I got a lot of malt and coffee aroma from it, but when drinking it it just tasted like overly bitter coffee with not much malts. I didn't get any herbal flavors out of it. Read some reviews on BA and people there seem to like it, it just didn't do it for me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Southern Tier Harvest Ale - Just meh to me. I was hoping for more of a wet hop ale, but this was more of a tame IPA. Pass.
It's an ESB, not an IPA.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Squatted down to look at the bottom shelf in a gas station/beer store, saw two Parabolas pushed all the way to the back of the shelf, out of sight. Sorry, whoever was trying to hide them. They're mine now.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Midorka posted:

It's an ESB, not an IPA.

Yea, that makes sense. I just saw "harvest" on the label and interpreted it as "(hop) harvest." Maybe my expectations ruined the beer, I bought a sixer so I'll give it another go.

That being said, has anyone seen any wet hop ales on the shelves yet, and what are your favorites? Isn't this the usual time of year for them to start coming out?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Yea, that makes sense. I just saw "harvest" on the label and interpreted it as "(hop) harvest." Maybe my expectations ruined the beer, I bought a sixer so I'll give it another go.

That being said, has anyone seen any wet hop ales on the shelves yet, and what are your favorites? Isn't this the usual time of year for them to start coming out?

I think Great Divide has theirs on shelves but I haven't looked to hard for any others - trying to keep my beer spending down due to last month's BCBS frenzy.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Founder's Harvest Ale is out, and is fantastic.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Mikey Purp posted:

I think your confusion is justified considering ST Harvest is on the higher end of the alcohol range for an ESB and has significantly higher hop presence than a traditional ESB. Also, I wouldn't associate it's citrusy american hop profile with the style. I'd place it somewhere between an ESB and an APA.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I Dont Like You posted:

Founder's Harvest Ale is out, and is fantastic.

I will be getting some of this tomorrow, and yes, it is.

I know Sierra Nevada's harvest ale is out or coming out soon too, which they call Estate Ale. I had it a year or two ago and thought it was fairly decent.

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded
Jealous of everyone's awesome GABF weekends. Hopefully some day/year.

On another note, we tapped the Stone Collab Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout this weekend, wow, just an amazing beer. The mint isn't over powering and the dark chocolate is perfect. Probably one of the highlights of the year for me so far.

Just before the Mint Chocolate we tapped Odell Meddler and... well if anyone has held out, don't. My co-worker (rightly) compares it to the Deschutes/Hair of the Dog Collage #1 (Conflux). It's one of the best sour's I've had, but I admit to not having access to a huge selection in Arizona.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Deschutes to Illinois in the new year. Have had a few of their standard things and wasn't super impressed. Liked this years' Black Butte anniversary very much. And once bought a bottle of Abyss and gave it to a friend for X-Mas. Not because I'm nice but because I had never heard of it at the time and he likes stouts.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

Deschutes to Illinois in the new year. Have had a few of their standard things and wasn't super impressed. Liked this years' Black Butte anniversary very much. And once bought a bottle of Abyss and gave it to a friend for X-Mas. Not because I'm nice but because I had never heard of it at the time and he likes stouts.

That's pretty amazing news as I have wanted to try their offerings. They're only starting with regular offerings though (as much as I want those too, I want the fancy barleywines too...)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I assume Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout isn't supposed to be sour, right? Still, pretty tasty.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

danbanana posted:

This reminds me that I have a Black Butte XXIII that I've been sitting on. Does this stuff improve with age?

I keep unintentionally "aging" beers by putting them in my fridge and waiting for just the right occasion to open them. It's a problem.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

That's pretty amazing news as I have wanted to try their offerings. They're only starting with regular offerings though (as much as I want those too, I want the fancy barleywines too...)

Maybe not as exciting as getting double Black Butte and Abyss etc but personally I think their year round stuff all rules so you could do a lot worse v:v:v Mirror Pond, Black Butte, Obsidian and Chainbreaker are all exemplary beers and for some reason they sell for like $7 a six pack. I pretty much have a sixpack of one Deschutes beer or other in my fridge at all times.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Sirotan posted:

I assume Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout isn't supposed to be sour, right? Still, pretty tasty.

Nope, they've had a lot of infection problems over the years. It seems to be getting worse recently. It sucks because I love their porter and milk stout but will probably only get them on draft until they get things under control.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Oh hey, that's Joseph James's IIPA. What did you find so offensive about it? It's easily their weakest beer, but I wouldn't call it terrible.

Not shocked you liked the Weihenstephaner best by a wide margin. They kind of define world-class.

Too rough, too bitter.

I say this even as a fan of Moxie.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Nope, they've had a lot of infection problems over the years. It seems to be getting worse recently. It sucks because I love their porter and milk stout but will probably only get them on draft until they get things under control.

according to Kosher man, after the entire batch of Rabid Duck was hosed earlier this year, they replaced a bunch of equipment, but their record (plus their poor response to my particular situation) has made me hesitant to buy anything they've made. do have a few milk stouts i bought for a goon, so i'm gonna crack one to make sure it's safe...

... it was fine.

wait, Sirotan, is that one i sent you? if so, drat, i feel bad about that.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 16, 2012

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

This reminds me that I have a Black Butte XXIII that I've been sitting on. Does this stuff improve with age?

I keep unintentionally "aging" beers by putting them in my fridge and waiting for just the right occasion to open them. It's a problem.

I just had a XXIII that I've been sitting on. It was still pretty drat good, but I felt that the chocolate fell off quite a lot. It didn't mellow as much as I was hoping, in terms of boozey-ness either. I thought it was a little "hot" fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Taplist at Mellow Mushroom near my house:

I had a Black Note on Saturday and went back for another one today. If I lived anywhere other than Nowhere, Ky. that poo poo would be gone in like an hour. They tapped Black Note, Better Half, Bitches Brew, and KBS on Saturday and the only one that blew since then was the KBS.

Anyway, Black Note really is THAT good. The bourbon is definitely there but not overpowering, lots of vanilla, and not too hot with the alcohol burn considering it's 11%. I might go back for another one everyday till it's gone!