Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got snail recipes? I just bought some from 99 Ranch as a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Scott Bakula posted:

I realise its an unusual question but how do you deal with this? Just throw it in the microwave for a while?

When I was a cook, I just went to the table and tried to explain things like that to them (for some reason this works better than the waitron telling them). Most customers are cool and not insane. Most.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, guilty as charged. Making Pasta for me is basically combining bland stuff with good stuff. I figured sauce is the one thing I can improve on, since making dough is a bit too :effort:

Italian cookbook it is, I guess.

Silver Spoon is great, but I also really like Marcella Hazan's books, even if she is pretty bossy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Poach the snails, then saute quickly in garlic and butter with parsley and wine. They are delicious.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Hellfire99 posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to try with a light cream next time; and some lemon. Also, do you think it would make a good marinade? Or would it be better as a sauce baked on?

tbh I had to edit my original post and instructions when I reread your quote because I have no idea why you are baking a steak in sauce but it I didn't want to call you out in the general questions thread. Depending on exactly what cut your steak is, my method would be to get your heaviest pan very hot, add a little oil and sear your steak hard on both sides. If any more cooking is required to get your desired doneness, throw it in the oven @400F. (I'm not being very specific here because I don't know exactly what cut/bone in or out/size of meat we're talking about here). When the meat is resting, return your pan to the stove and in the grease rendered from the steak/whatever oil you seared it in and add any onion/garlic/shallot you are using and saute a moment, then (remove from flame if on an open flame stove) add your whiskey and peppercorns and while the pan is bubbling and steaming scrape all the good meat bits from the bottom of the pan and stir them int the sauce, cook until the pan is almost dry again, then add the butter/cream/milk and reduce the heat to low, taste and adjust seasoning. by this time your steak has rested ~5 mins and is ready to be plated sauced and eaten!

Wotan posted:

When I was a cook, I just went to the table and tried to explain things like that to them (for some reason this works better than the waitron telling them). Most customers are cool and not insane. Most.

I've pretty much exclusively worked in fine dining places but it would never really be acceptable for me as a cook to go out on the floor and tell the customer no, they are wrong. I sent the server out with an explanation of the process of preparing the dish and if the customer didn't accept it they recommended they order something else on the house, because there is no way that anything else we do to that plate will provide them with satisfaction, even though everyone else knows that the fault is entirely in the customer's understanding and perception.

re: thermometers I am highly resistant to them but I freely admit that jabbing the outside of a prime rib with your finger wont tell you the temp two inches inside of it, no matter how much you want it to.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 13, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just came up with an awesome idea for a strawberry vinaigrette that allows me to test the strawberry-Parmesan food pairing. With some help from the Flavor Bible, I plan to blend together balsamic vinegar, walnut oil (or if I can't find it, olive oil), strawberries, honey, grapes, walnuts, and Parmesan.

Considering the experimental nature of this whole thing, it's a longshot, but I'll ask anyway… What kind of greens do you think I should try this on? Spinach? Arugula? Bibb? Romaine? Iceberg? All of the above? I'm leaning towards Romaine.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Sounds like a pretty sweet vinaigrette, which I tend to like pairing with more bitter greens. I'd go with arugula, or an arugula-spinach mix. Maybe toss some frisee in there, too.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I just bought a desk of kale.

I want to make some kale chips. I want to try a bunch of different seasonings. I know I'm going to try a salt and vinegar. What else do people like?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Stir fry with fermented black bean paste, oyster sauce, shaoxing, a pinch of sugar and onions garlic peppers and ginger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I ground my own beef for hamburgers and froze the extra. I let it defrost in the fridge for 2 days, and it's turned grey. It feels normal, and smells perfectly fine just like any fresh beef. Is this normal oxidation? Or is this some nefarious beef disease?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Pretty sure that's just freezer burn. If it smells fine, it's fine. This is exactly what we evolved a sense of smell for.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

pile of brown posted:

tbh I had to edit my original post and instructions when I reread your quote because I have no idea why you are baking a steak in sauce but it I didn't want to call you out in the general questions thread. Depending on exactly what cut your steak is, my method would be to get your heaviest pan very hot, add a little oil and sear your steak hard on both sides. If any more cooking is required to get your desired doneness, throw it in the oven @400F. (I'm not being very specific here because I don't know exactly what cut/bone in or out/size of meat we're talking about here). When the meat is resting, return your pan to the stove and in the grease rendered from the steak/whatever oil you seared it in and add any onion/garlic/shallot you are using and saute a moment, then (remove from flame if on an open flame stove) add your whiskey and peppercorns and while the pan is bubbling and steaming scrape all the good meat bits from the bottom of the pan and stir them int the sauce, cook until the pan is almost dry again, then add the butter/cream/milk and reduce the heat to low, taste and adjust seasoning. by this time your steak has rested ~5 mins and is ready to be plated sauced and eaten!

I've pretty much exclusively worked in fine dining places but it would never really be acceptable for me as a cook to go out on the floor and tell the customer no, they are wrong. I sent the server out with an explanation of the process of preparing the dish and if the customer didn't accept it they recommended they order something else on the house, because there is no way that anything else we do to that plate will provide them with satisfaction, even though everyone else knows that the fault is entirely in the customer's understanding and perception.

Yup. I worked in one fine dining place where it obviously was unacceptable to do that, but most of the places I've cooked at have been pretty casual and patrons actually appreciate it when the cook comes and talks to them. In upscale dining the waitstaff tend to have more knowledge too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Happy Abobo posted:

Sounds like a pretty sweet vinaigrette, which I tend to like pairing with more bitter greens. I'd go with arugula, or an arugula-spinach mix. Maybe toss some frisee in there, too.
Spinach, arugula, Parmesan, and this vinaigrette all tasted amazing together, so thanks for this! It came out a little more mauve/beige than I wanted, though, so next time I'll probably put in some food coloring and manually coarsely chop some strawberries and throw them in at the end, just because they say food tastes "better" if it looks like what it tastes like.

In other news, I have a cup of walnut oil left over. Anything besides this that I can do with it?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I can't get my hashbrowns to not come out grey/slimey/gummy on the inside while being crunchy on the outside. Any tips? I use baking potatoes, try to wring them out, but it still sucks :(

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What kind of hashbrowns are you talking about here? Grated homestyle ones, or patties like McDonald's?

I run potatoes through a cheese grater and sprinkle them in about half an inch of hot oil, let them sit, flip, let them sit, haul them out. The only time I get raw potato is when I make them way too thick.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

scuz posted:

I can't get my hashbrowns to not come out grey/slimey/gummy on the inside while being crunchy on the outside. Any tips? I use baking potatoes, try to wring them out, but it still sucks :(

At my old job we used to boil them, drain them, let them cool, shred them, and throw them in the cooler overnight loosely covered. They would be cooked and dried out enough that they would crisp up nice on the outside and stay soft but not gross on the inside.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
I just bought Thai Food by David Thompson, and i'm starting to look at recipes that I want to make. I want to start off by doing his pickled mango recipe. It calls for the mangoes to be soaked in hydrolyzed lime water, which is basically water with a very small amount of lime powder. Is lime powder something that I should be able to find at my local Thai grocery/99 Ranch? I've never seen it before. If I can't get it, what do people recommend as a substitute? The purpose of soaking the mangoes in the lime water is to keep them firm as they pickle, apparently.

Also, I made a green curry tonight, and the texture was "grainy" from the shreds of lemongrass. I prepared the lemongrass by removing the stem, using the bottom third, and removing a few outer layers, but no matter how much I pounded the mixture in my mortar and pestle, the fibers from the lemongrass didn't seem to reduce (every other ingredient did though). Am I not removing enough layers, or should I chop the lemongrass more finely before I add it to the mortar?

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 14, 2012

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If I had to guess, I would say the recipe is calling for slaked lime as opposed to dried and powdered lime fruit.

As for the lemongrass, yeah it is generally woody, but if you get it fresh and use the bottom portion, it shouldn't be too bad. The fibers run vertically along the stalk so it is important you make thin horizontal slices to ensure the fibers are broken down enough. Also, did you use store-bought curry paste and add lemongrass, or did you make it from scratch? I've made thai curries a number of times but I am way too lazy to attempt making the paste on my own (on top of the fact that I can't find a lot of the ingredients).

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
I made the recipe in this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/sep/23/make-perfect-thai-green-curry

It's pretty time-consuming, but it's something that I'd like to learn how to do really well. It seems like an inexact science- in his book, Thompson discusses at length how you should be able to smell when the curry paste itself is cooked, as certain ingredients will cook at various times.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Has anyone got a good recipe for borscht? By good, I don't necessarily mean it has to be absolutely authentic, but amazing. I am planning on having it as part of a Christmas dinner for a few members of my family, so it has to impress.

And yes, I know it's October, but I want to practice it a few times to get it perfect.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

scuz posted:

My method is to grate a pile of potatoes, throw them in a towel and squeeze as hard as possible, open the towel, toss the potatoes with salt and loosen them up, then wrap up and squeeze again. In a decent but not excessive amount of oil I start adding potatoes and stirring them up when they start to brown, adding more shreds as the pan recovers its heat from the last addition until I have a puck of my desired size. It consistently yields delicious, fully cooked, fully browned and fully crisp potatoes.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

next time I'll probably put in some food coloring... just because they say food tastes "better" if it looks like what it tastes like.

Nonononononono.

Food coloring has no place in real cooking (outside of some pastry applications.) It's artificial, it can dye your fingers/mouth/poo poo, it can affect taste, and it contains chemicals that some people are very sensitive or allergic to. Basically it's not worth it.

If you want a brighter color, use white balsamic (though it's not as flavorful.) Your idea bout coarsely chopping some strawberries is also a good one.

scuz posted:

I can't get my hashbrowns to not come out grey/slimey/gummy on the inside while being crunchy on the outside. Any tips? I use baking potatoes, try to wring them out, but it still sucks

If we're talking diced potatoes here, use red skin potatoes, dice them, toss them on a plate with a little water, and microwave them for about 5 min before you throw them into a pan of hot butter/oil and herbs.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I left a pot of cooked rice out on the stove top last night. Is it bad now or should I be safe to put it into some tupperware and throw it in the fridge?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Food safety rules would say it should be thrown out but it's common practice for many Asian families to cook a big pot of rice and to leave it out for a day or so, especially during cooler weather. Chances are pretty high the rice is fine, I would still eat it if there aren't any off smells.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I agree w adobo, I'd want something with a little more oomph than the waterier romaine/butter/bibb lettuces. Walnut oil tends to be pretty powerful stuff, you might consider using a mixture of walnut oil and a neutral oil in the dressing.

I'm not sure why you are blending all of those ingredients into the dressing, especially two kinds of sweet fruit AND honey, personally I would much prefer something like:
Balsamic-walnut oil vinaigrette
arugula &frisee
halved grapes
sliced stawberries
walnuts candied with a bit of chili (you're gonna need to be careful with the sweetness of this salad but i love spicy candied nuts)
parmesan either in big strips with a vegetable peeler, or if you aren't into that finish the salad by grating parm over with a microplane for a nice even dusting over the whole thing

edit: typed this up but didn't hit submit for a day. I see you weren't super happy with your final product. Anything with balsamic in it is gonna turn out somewhat grey/black in the end but you could even not make a vinaigrette at all and just toss your salad with oil first and then some balsamic vinegar. The oil will make some of your greens/veggies shiny and not have the black stick to them so you'll be able to maintain some colors and shapes. Also when you have a couple different things in a salad its more interesting to eat flavorwise as well, getting a bite with a good chunk of grape in it has more impact than adding some more sweetness by blending grapes into the vinaigrette.

I'd say you also learned a little bit about how to use the flavor bible; it's an awesome tool but it does not take into account how you apply the flavors and has little regard for texture, visual appeal and other considerations. I've actually heard a few experienced cooks I know say that they don't like it when people rely on the book too much for this reason; a list of complementary flavors turned into a mauve slurry that did not achieve the desired effect

Also im not calling out your dressing in particular but there is definitely that point at which blending more ingredients/flavors into a soup/sauce/dressing/whatever doesn't make it more complex, it makes it more like barf, and it happens sooner than you think. Also on that note, cranberry-wasabi sauce was a loving disgusting experiment.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 14, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I love rice that is out overnight. I find it makes the best fried rice, even better than refrigerated rice.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Wroughtirony posted:

Food coloring has no place in real cooking (outside of some pastry applications.) It's artificial, it can dye your fingers/mouth/poo poo, it can affect taste, and it contains chemicals that some people are very sensitive or allergic to. Basically it's not worth it.

If you want a brighter color, use white balsamic (though it's not as flavorful.) Your idea bout coarsely chopping some strawberries is also a good one.
That actually makes sense. I don't own any food coloring. Good thing I read this before I went to the store today.

pile of brown posted:

I'd say you also learned a little bit about how to use the flavor bible; it's an awesome tool but it does not take into account how you apply the flavors and has little regard for texture, visual appeal and other considerations. I've actually heard a few experienced cooks I know say that they don't like it when people rely on the book too much for this reason; a list of complementary flavors turned into a mauve slurry that did not achieve the desired effect

Also im not calling out your dressing in particular but there is definitely that point at which blending more ingredients/flavors into a soup/sauce/dressing/whatever doesn't make it more complex, it makes it more like barf, and it happens sooner than you think. Also on that note, cranberry-wasabi sauce was a loving disgusting experiment.
The end result tasted pretty decent, but even at the time I wondered if I really needed the grapes or honey. I'd noticed that most vinaigrette recipes don't have many ingredients, so that set off a red flag early on. I knew I wanted both the strawberries and Parmesan. I'd read about that foodpairing and I embarked on this whole thing just to find a context where they'd work together. (Just putting both in my mouth at the same time didn't go so well.) I thought having more ingredients that work with both would "build more bridges" between the two flavors, but you're right; I certainly learned from it. I barely tasted the grapes or honey, so next time, they go. Since I have a lot of leftover ingredients anyway, I may try splitting them all up like you suggested and throwing them in the salad individually.

The end result still tasted pretty good on the right greens, but next time I'll definitely trim down the ingredients and make some changes to how I do the vinegar and strawberries. As rough drafts go, though, I can't complain too much.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 14, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Homemade chicken stock question - the recipes I'm finding call for a large amount of carcasse (2-4lb). I've got one, from a medium sized bird (I guess) and I don't know how many pounds it was. It's typical of what you might get from a rotisserie chicken.

Can anyone give me an idea of measurements to go along with this?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 14, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So, you know all those suggestions you guys gave me for improving the salad?

Let's just say they were good suggestions.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
So it's pumpkin-in-everything season. Every year I'm mildly disappointed with my pumpkin things, and am thinking maybe I don't like pumpkin as much as I like the idea of it. I tried pumpkin beer bread (roughly, slate's version), pumpkin biscotti, and an attempt at reproducing the pumpkin spice latte. Meh. Any ideas on other things to put pumpkin in? Polenta is on the agenda already.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Speaking of pastries and food coloring... my girlfriend and I were watching Bridesmaids and she fell in love with the colorful/cute cupcakes that the main character was making. Her birthday is coming up this Wednesday and it would be nice to be able to make some with/for her.

I can follow a recipe, but she doesn't really have any experience cooking. Are there any outstanding recipes that come to mind for making cupcakes that look good AND taste good? From scratch, preferably, since we live in Japan and cupcakes aren't that common here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Aradekasta posted:

So it's pumpkin-in-everything season. Every year I'm mildly disappointed with my pumpkin things, and am thinking maybe I don't like pumpkin as much as I like the idea of it. I tried pumpkin beer bread (roughly, slate's version), pumpkin biscotti, and an attempt at reproducing the pumpkin spice latte. Meh. Any ideas on other things to put pumpkin in? Polenta is on the agenda already.

I made pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin walnut muffins and both have been fantastic.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Aradekasta posted:

I'm not the best cook and I'm usually on the question asking side of things here, but I'm pretty active in the brewing thread and something I've learned about pumpkin is that I don't think it's actually that good. Honestly, pumpkin is so weak in flavor that people don't realize that they just like pumpkin pie spice. A lot of the "best" pumpkin beers I've drank don't even use pumpkin in them, they are spiced to taste like pumpkin pie, which is what people really expect when you say "Pumpkin flavor" to them. Honestly, most people who say they like pumpkin probably have never tasted straight pumpkin.
Pumpkin became popular because it was so plentiful in the new world and a lot of malts and grains weren't as readily available. It got used out of necessity, not because it was particularly good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Speaking of pastries and food coloring... my girlfriend and I were watching Bridesmaids and she fell in love with the colorful/cute cupcakes that the main character was making. Her birthday is coming up this Wednesday and it would be nice to be able to make some with/for her.

I can follow a recipe, but she doesn't really have any experience cooking. Are there any outstanding recipes that come to mind for making cupcakes that look good AND taste good? From scratch, preferably, since we live in Japan and cupcakes aren't that common here.

What do they look like?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aradekasta posted:

Roast it. Cut it into quarters, then eigths, and roast for 1 hour at 350F. Seriously. It'll totally change the flavour. Also, see if you can get your hands on Kabocha. It's a lot more dense and intense. Then, make pumpkin soup. Sautee off onions until tender, add garlic, and cook until soft. Add roasted pumpkin (scoop out the seeds, and discard, and then just take the flesh off the skin). Add 2 cups of coconut milk, crushed cardamom (remove the hulls), a scrape of nutmeg, some fresh grated ginger, and just enough water to cover the whole lot. Bring to a boil, and turn off the heat. Add a pinch of cinnamon (if you like it), cayenne pepper, and salt. Puree with an immersion blender or actual blender, and serve with toasted bread. It'll be intense pumpkin flavour.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What do they look like?

They were just colorful flower cupcakes.

I'm not looking for a recipe that duplicates THOSE, just a recipe for tasty cupcakes that also look cute/nice rather than a generic "chocolate cupcake with brown or white frosting" recipe.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Earlier I was reading a recipe that called for leeks, and it said to cut them into 1" pieces. Does that mean the body of the leek AND the fronds, or just the body? (or just the fronds?)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Usually just the body.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Aradekasta posted:

I made some pumpkin ice cream the other day that was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Earlier I was reading a recipe that called for leeks, and it said to cut them into 1" pieces. Does that mean the body of the leek AND the fronds, or just the body? (or just the fronds?)

I like to use all of the leek, because the fucker is expensive. If it's a recipe where the green colour won't throw anything off, chop the whites into 1" pieces, and then do the greens into about 1/4 of that. Then rinse everything in cold water to remove the mud. Then use it.