Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

You mean flash back to 2.3.5? What will I lose if I do this? How do I do it?

If you've trolled around enough Motorola forums, you'll find a tool called RSD Lite. RSD Lite is Motorola's factory flashing tool that pushes factory images in the form of SBF & FXZ files.

Since you're rooted, you're thankfully just a Titanium Backup away from retaining your apps and their respective settings.

Simply obtain an SBF or FXZ file for your phone, and flash it with RSD Lite. Since SBF/FXZ files are complete wipes of your device, ensure that your data is backed up to a PC before proceeding. RSD Lite will rewrite the entire NAND memory of the device down to the block level, and set it to a fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

Once you have a fully stock system, you can apply the ICS update.zip manually in stock recovery or take it OTA. There's a few tools out there that will root Motorola ICS. The popular one lately is called RazrEdge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh neat. CM10 M2 has wifi idle time out turned on by default so I pulled down 1.5 gigs out of my 2 gig data pool last night in podcast restoring.

Thanks CyanogenMod! :toot:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh neat. CM10 M2 has wifi idle time out turned on by default so I pulled down 1.5 gigs out of my 2 gig data pool last night in podcast restoring.

I didn't know if it was a CM change or not but when I went to it the Wifi Sleep Policy wording was different from Gingerbread in that "Never" used to mean "Never sleep" but now the question is "Connect to wifi while sleeping?" so "Never" was the opposite of what I wanted and had the exact same problem. I couldn't remember if stock Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean phrased it the same way.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I just looked, and it says "Never (Increases data usage)". This is the 10/10 Nightly. Did they take away the description in M2?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

I just looked, and it says "Never (Increases data usage)". This is the 10/10 Nightly. Did they take away the description in M2?
It says in M2 (and as far back as the 9-17 nightly when I started):

Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep
Always
Only when plugged in
Never

It used to say:

Wifi sleep policy
When screen turns off
Never when plugged in
Never

So if you always want wifi to work, before you'd pick Never and now you'd pick Always.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Stock JB is a little different than ICS yes (from my stock N7);

Keep WiFi on during Sleep
- Always
- Only when plugged in
- Never

The wording is fine but keeping WiFi on is the default. Why the CM team decided to have it idle time out by default is retarded. Who would want that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Stock JB is a little different than ICS yes (from my stock N7);

Keep WiFi on during Sleep
- Always
- Only when plugged in
- Never

The wording is fine but keeping WiFi on is the default. Why the CM team decided to have it idle time out by default is retarded. Who would want that?
That's always been the default option as far back as Eclair. I don't understand it either.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I remember that being default from Eclair earlier but none past that. I know my NS stock and N7 were set to never idle time out by default.

I rarely restore during set up either so it's not that.

Edit: vvv I don't restore

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 13, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I remember that being default from Eclair earlier but none past that. I know my NS stock and N7 were set to never idle time out by default.

I rarely restore during set up either so it's not that.
Those preferences are restored when you sign into your Google account during initial setup.

Edit: Although I'd suspect the N7 would default to it as it has no cellular radio to fallback to. Either way I'm certain Froyo and Gingerbread defaulted to Always (when sleeping) on at least the G2x and I'm reasonably sure Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean do as well since I've flashed them without signing in on my wife's Nexus S a couple times since I did the flashes while she was sleeping and restored using Titanium instead since I didn't have her password.

E2: Maybe it's defaulted to not sleeping when it's on wifi but I really doubt it. A quick Google search still shows articles showing this hidden feature as recently as 2012 so if it defaulted to not sleeping why are articles pointing out how to access and change it if it hasn't done that since 2010? I'm nearly certain it's associated with the Google sign in whether you choose to restore or not but I'll admit I could be wrong.

It's definitely true that CM10 either doesn't restore that or doesn't default it but I really think it's defaulting correctly to AOSP and failing to restore.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 13, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your issue but I had a problem with a ton of data being used on my finite plan and finally got it to stop by going to settings>data usage>menu> restrict background data. This forces a bunch of stuff to use wifi no matter what so if you idle out, it won't chew through a ton of data.

Hope this is somewhat relevant and is actually there in JB.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you've trolled around enough Motorola forums, you'll find a tool called RSD Lite. RSD Lite is Motorola's factory flashing tool that pushes factory images in the form of SBF & FXZ files.

Since you're rooted, you're thankfully just a Titanium Backup away from retaining your apps and their respective settings.

Simply obtain an SBF or FXZ file for your phone, and flash it with RSD Lite. Since SBF/FXZ files are complete wipes of your device, ensure that your data is backed up to a PC before proceeding. RSD Lite will rewrite the entire NAND memory of the device down to the block level, and set it to a fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

Once you have a fully stock system, you can apply the ICS update.zip manually in stock recovery or take it OTA. There's a few tools out there that will root Motorola ICS. The popular one lately is called RazrEdge

Thanks - got upgraded to ICS but I can't find a way to root it yet. The only method I found for the Atrix 2 is this thread but I OTA installed ICS so I don't think it will work for me http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779968

edit: found a way to root it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742879

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 13, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Since when has Clockwork recovery had the Apple linen textured background?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm having a problem with Codename Android 3.6 on my maguro GNex. When I plug in an aux cable it doesn't switch audio output to the headphone jack. I tried two aux cables and no dice.

As a sanity check I flashed CM10 which works just fine with the aux cable.

Anyone know why this might be happening? Or know of an app that lets me force audio to go out the headphone jack?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got Clockwork Recovery and Big Mem Kernel on my phone (NS4G) thanks to LastInLine.

It's running really drat well. Surprisingly faster too. Can't wait to see what 4.1.2 does in a month or two.

Thanks again, LastInLine! This really is seeming to do the trick. :)

Edit: A question, after installing the kernel to my device, am I able to delete it safely from the SD card?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 14, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yes you can delete the .zip after its been flashed

Did you overclock at all? I've only been running CM10 since this morning so I don't know what it'll do to stability or battery life but it seems bumping the clock up to 1200MHz does make a noticeable difference to performance.

e. drat BLN is nice, forgot how great screen off notifications are. Also the screen off animation works correctly now (unlike stock 4.1.1)

dissss fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 14, 2012

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Erhm I know folks don't like my posts but I did mention this a page ago. Just sayin'.

Anyways, to clarify, codeworkx is the CM Exynos maintainer, which covers most international Samsung devices and, AT&T SGS2 (but not the Skyrocket), and certain tablet models that I've lost track of.

However, Samsung's Qualcomm-based devices are doing just fine, which includes the North American SGS3 (of which Steve himself is the lead maintainer), the Skyrocket, T-Mo SGS2, North American Galaxy Notes (but not the upcoming Note 2 which will be Exynos world-wide).

It's also worth clarify which part of Samsung is being complained of here. It's Samsung Electronics Co. (Samsung Semiconductor?) who manufacturers the Exynos line, and are being asshats here. They're analogous to other SoC vendors like Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Texas Instruments. And like Nvidia, they default to a closed-development model and don't really know how to function in an open-source ecosystem.

The actual handset manufacturer is Samsung Mobile (which AFAIK is a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, but there's still a bit of a different culture). They've made handsets using SoCs from all four major vendors in the past, with SEC and Qualcomm designed being featured in most of their products (although OMAP is used in the Galaxy Nexus and one of the SGS2 variants). They're analogous to other handset vendors like HTC, LG, Motorola, and Sony. And in this case they're surprisingly open, although Sony (which I assume has more do with Ericsson since real Sony also tends to be asshats) has been making great strides in attracting the community development audience by being embarassingly-open about their stuff.

In short, this world is crazy inbred and it's confusing poo poo.

Thanks for all the information. I for one learned a lot from this single post.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Yes you can delete the .zip after its been flashed

Did you overclock at all? I've only been running CM10 since this morning so I don't know what it'll do to stability or battery life but it seems bumping the clock up to 1200MHz does make a noticeable difference to performance.

e. drat BLN is nice, forgot how great screen off notifications are. Also the screen off animation works correctly now (unlike stock 4.1.1)

Thanks for the response!

I haven't overclocked, no. I just put the kernel on stock 4.1.1 and it's been pretty smooth sailing from there. BLN is really awesome. I don't know how it'll affect battery life either but I'll probably find out soon as I tend to use the phone a lot before bed roaming YouTube.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Huh, you didn't need to install BLN Control to get it to work?

Glad it worked out for you. I know it's only been a day but 4.1.2 is really, really snappy on her device, I hope it holds up.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If your kernel supports it, you can use something like this.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Now I need to figure out kernels... I've always just stuck with whatever came with the ROM I'm running. The one I've got right now is based on the Evo 3D Virgin Mobile ICS leak, mostly due to the fact that it doesn't require me to gently caress with my HBOOT.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Question for those less confused than I am: I've just flashed CM10 M2 on my Nexus S. Is there any point in looking for an alternative kernel or should I stick with the one that came with the ROM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Question for those less confused than I am: I've just flashed CM10 M2 on my Nexus S. Is there any point in looking for an alternative kernel or should I stick with the one that came with the ROM?
Stick with what you have unless there's a problem.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

I use Bluetooth Audio all the time, and CM10's is just as good as Stock was (for me it wasn't good at all :v:) but a few hacks to the audio.conf file fixed all of that for me. I even was able to make CM10 ignore my audio.conf changes on update, so I don't have to ever worry about it when I flash an update. I can write up a more detailed post about how to make all those changes if anyone wants.

Id be interested in a guide for this. Also wondering if I can apply the same logic to boot animation.zip so I don't have to redo that every time I update as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Huh, you didn't need to install BLN Control to get it to work?

Glad it worked out for you. I know it's only been a day but 4.1.2 is really, really snappy on her device, I hope it holds up.

Yeah, it turned on without even doing anything. In fact, I need BLN control to turn it off but I just turned it back on later anyway. It's a pretty neat feature!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it turned on without even doing anything. In fact, I need BLN control to turn it off but I just turned it back on later anyway. It's a pretty neat feature!
I was fiddling around with her phone while she was in the shower this morning and even Google Now opens and responds almost as fast as my Galaxy Nexus. 4.1.2 has really fixed all the problems 4.1 brought.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I was fiddling around with her phone while she was in the shower this morning and even Google Now opens and responds almost as fast as my Galaxy Nexus. 4.1.2 has really fixed all the problems 4.1 brought.

Augh. I want 4.1.2 almost as much as I wanted ICS.

Maybe Google will put the images up eventually...

Since I have a different kernel, do I have to manually flash the other OS? How would I go about doing that?

I assume it's just like I flashed this one using fastboot but skipping the recovery file?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Augh. I want 4.1.2 almost as much as I wanted ICS.

Maybe Google will put the images up eventually...

Since I have a different kernel, do I have to manually flash the other OS? How would I go about doing that?

I assume it's just like I flashed this one using fastboot but skipping the recovery file?
Not quite but close. Vagrancy posted instructions a little bit ago for doing it without wiping data. Once you do that you'll need to boot to recovery and apply the kernel if you want it (and who really can live without BLN and Voodoo Sound?) and SuperSU.zip if you decided to root. You'll need the updated 4.1.2 kernel to flash and I have it if you need it, just post here.

Seriously her phone is back to Ice Cream Sandwich levels of smoothness right now. If it holds up over the next two weeks (about the amount of time it took stock Jelly Bean to poo poo itself) then I think we can once again consider the Nexus S to still have a lot of life left in it. She's been reading with dismay the rumors on the LG Nexus and told me "If the Nexus S keeps running like it is right now, why would I upgrade?" I have to say after using it for that half hour I'd be hard pressed to disagree. 4.1.2 is that good.

I have no idea how well CM10 runs on the NS but if you really get sick of the stock sluggishness on 4.1, that's an option. I do know there are a few formatting bugs and CM always did have trouble on the NS back in the Gingerbread days but just reminding you it is an option.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I've only had my NS4G since the spring, but CM9 and now CM10 have been great to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Not quite but close. Vagrancy posted instructions a little bit ago for doing it without wiping data. Once you do that you'll need to boot to recovery and apply the kernel if you want it (and who really can live without BLN and Voodoo Sound?) and SuperSU.zip if you decided to root. You'll need the updated 4.1.2 kernel to flash and I have it if you need it, just post here.

Seriously her phone is back to Ice Cream Sandwich levels of smoothness right now. If it holds up over the next two weeks (about the amount of time it took stock Jelly Bean to poo poo itself) then I think we can once again consider the Nexus S to still have a lot of life left in it. She's been reading with dismay the rumors on the LG Nexus and told me "If the Nexus S keeps running like it is right now, why would I upgrade?" I have to say after using it for that half hour I'd be hard pressed to disagree. 4.1.2 is that good.

I have no idea how well CM10 runs on the NS but if you really get sick of the stock sluggishness on 4.1, that's an option. I do know there are a few formatting bugs and CM always did have trouble on the NS back in the Gingerbread days but just reminding you it is an option.

Your wife's not using BigMem anymore or is it a combination of the BigMem kernel and 4.1.2? If it's just 4.1.2, that's pretty drat good.

Honestly, I can take the 4.1.2 kernel now and just hold on to it. Chances are, I'll forget later because of Sprint being so slow.

I was thinking of asking Sprint to boost my upgrade to January instead of March, but if the phone keeps holding up the way it is now with BigMem and the BLN tweak, I'll probably keep it until March anyway.

It took my phone about 2 weeks or so to have some odd problems. It's only completely broken down twice and needed a reboot but this past week, I had to reboot due to the rotation not working. I don't know if that's a usual problem with Jelly Bean or not (I hope it is...I'd rather not have hardware issues when I'm so close to another phone).

My boyfriend doesn't seem to be having the problems I had but he barely uses his phone anyway. His lasts at least 24 hours since he never plays music from it (he has his iPod touch 4th Generation still) and his signal is better.

I downloaded CM10 to my laptop but haven't done anything with it yet. I'll probably give it a try eventually though.

I was surprised how easy it was to put the kernel on, the only hard part was 2-Step Authentication but that's always been a slight annoyance to reset up. I'll be making a backup of the phone as it is now, so hopefully I won't have to do that again.

...I'll probably have to do it again for the Nexus 7 anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Your wife's not using BigMem anymore or is it a combination of the BigMem kernel and 4.1.2? If it's just 4.1.2, that's pretty drat good.
Still using BigMem since she can't live without BLN anyway.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, I can take the 4.1.2 kernel now and just hold on to it. Chances are, I'll forget later because of Sprint being so slow.
Here it is. Rename it something to distinguish between the other one.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was thinking of asking Sprint to boost my upgrade to January instead of March, but if the phone keeps holding up the way it is now with BigMem and the BLN tweak, I'll probably keep it until March anyway.

It took my phone about 2 weeks or so to have some odd problems. It's only completely broken down twice and needed a reboot but this past week, I had to reboot due to the rotation not working. I don't know if that's a usual problem with Jelly Bean or not (I hope it is...I'd rather not have hardware issues when I'm so close to another phone).

My boyfriend doesn't seem to be having the problems I had but he barely uses his phone anyway. His lasts at least 24 hours since he never plays music from it (he has his iPod touch 4th Generation still) and his signal is better.

I downloaded CM10 to my laptop but haven't done anything with it yet. I'll probably give it a try eventually though.

I was surprised how easy it was to put the kernel on, the only hard part was 2-Step Authentication but that's always been a slight annoyance to reset up. I'll be making a backup of the phone as it is now, so hopefully I won't have to do that again.

...I'll probably have to do it again for the Nexus 7 anyway.
With Voodoo Sound in the kernel (as the kernel I linked has) the sound quality on the Nexus S is just as good as the iPod. Same Wolfson DAC actually.

As for the odd rotation problem, she didn't have that but did have random weird failures on 4.1. Once the phone thought it was charging whether or not it was plugged in. Reboots always fixed whatever was going wrong. It's too early to tell if 4.1.2 has these issues, like you said they always started up in about 14 days but I'm really optimistic. It's unreal how responsive it is.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

NiVRaM88 posted:

Id be interested in a guide for this. Also wondering if I can apply the same logic to boot animation.zip so I don't have to redo that every time I update as well.

I have no idea about boot animations, but if they're just overwriting individual files on the filesystem it should be similar enough.

If you browse to /system/addons.d you'll find a bunch of files that look like this:

As you can see it should already have some settings for various things that stick around after an update. You should at least the first 4 files.

You'll need to mount the file system for read/write access, and make a new file in that directory. The easiest way to start is to make a copy of "50-cm.sh" and name it "99-<whatever>.sh". I called mine "99-frozenfiles.sh". Open the new file up and you'll get something that looks like this:

When you edit the file, the only lines you need to modify are between <<EOF and EOF. Notice how there's no / preceding the file name. For my bluetooth fix the only file I edited was "/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf" so I put that file between the EOF markers.

Add any files you want, save the file, and then mount your filesystem back to read only. Now every time you flash Cyanogenmod, the updater will know to keep the files you instructed.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
After getting fed up with how slow, unresponsive, and ugly my Droid X2 was on 2.3.5, I broke down and installed CM10. It's a gimped version of CM10 since Motorola sucks, but it's way faster than before. It would literally take 15 seconds or longer to open up with messaging app, camera app was slow as hell, and things would crash constantly. Basically I don't care if some things are broken on this new rom since it's less broken than before.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So what's the best rom these days for a Verizon Galaxy Nexus? I'm starting to use it again and the last thing I had on it was Revolution HD but that doesn't seem to be supported anymore and XDA gives me a headache to navigate.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

shyguy posted:

So what's the best rom these days for a Verizon Galaxy Nexus? I'm starting to use it again and the last thing I had on it was Revolution HD but that doesn't seem to be supported anymore and XDA gives me a headache to navigate.

Bugless Beast by Peter Alfonso, or the stock rooted 4.1 ROM, I went back to stock and have had no problems so far.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using CM10 (currently M2),and it's been really nice. I especially like the addition of two more lockscreen shortcuts and, of course, the notification toggles.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Finally tried cm10 on my sensation, which is fantastic, but also one of the most difficult roots I've done, thanks to needing to do the "wire trick". During the process, it seems I've ruined both a 32 and 16gb sd, which will now only format to 128kb.

Is it possible to fix these? Windows thinks they're tiny, but they still work at the tiny capacities.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Still using BigMem since she can't live without BLN anyway.
Here it is. Rename it something to distinguish between the other one.
With Voodoo Sound in the kernel (as the kernel I linked has) the sound quality on the Nexus S is just as good as the iPod. Same Wolfson DAC actually.

As for the odd rotation problem, she didn't have that but did have random weird failures on 4.1. Once the phone thought it was charging whether or not it was plugged in. Reboots always fixed whatever was going wrong. It's too early to tell if 4.1.2 has these issues, like you said they always started up in about 14 days but I'm really optimistic. It's unreal how responsive it is.

To be honest, I haven't noticed quite much change with the Voodoo Sound addition. Do I need an app to change things up or maybe use my headphones?

I'm so jealous of your wife's phone. It sounds like 4.1.2 is snappier out of the gate without the kernel. Would Clockwork Recovery stick around after the upgrade, even if I decide to go with the stock kernel and not the updated 4.1.2 custom one with BLN/BigMem?

I seem to recall a default recovery thing on Gingerbread...did Google remove or hide it? I know I've seen those options before and I'd never have done any customizing to my phone prior to just yesterday (well, aside from themes).

If a backup made on 4.1.1 is used on 4.1.2, what would happen? Also, it looks like I can backup my backup to my computers as there's a file in the SD card with it. Can I rename this file while in Android or would it mess things up?

As for battery life, I've been playing Broken Sword for about 2 hours or so. My battery went down pretty quick (as it's always done while doing nothing but gaming). It lasted 5 hours, however the screen time was 2h 49m. Previously, with the stock kernel, it was 2h 20m. I guess the custom kernel gave me 20m of battery. Not bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Civil posted:

Finally tried cm10 on my sensation, which is fantastic, but also one of the most difficult roots I've done, thanks to needing to do the "wire trick". During the process, it seems I've ruined both a 32 and 16gb sd, which will now only format to 128kb.

Is it possible to fix these? Windows thinks they're tiny, but they still work at the tiny capacities.

I think you might have had a bad partition table of some sort put onto the cards. I've had the problem before and fixed it but don't remember how. Try googling something like "fix partition table SD card" and see if that gets you anywhere.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

hooah posted:

I've been using CM10 (currently M2),and it's been really nice. I especially like the addition of two more lockscreen shortcuts and, of course, the notification toggles.
I ended up going with this for now. So far so good. I forgot how easy Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod made this whole process.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

To be honest, I haven't noticed quite much change with the Voodoo Sound addition. Do I need an app to change things up or maybe use my headphones?
Yes you do, Voodoo Sound

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm so jealous of your wife's phone. It sounds like 4.1.2 is snappier out of the gate without the kernel. Would Clockwork Recovery stick around after the upgrade, even if I decide to go with the stock kernel and not the updated 4.1.2 custom one with BLN/BigMem?
Yes it will. The recovery is in a separate partition and that's exactly what it's for--so if anything happens to the /system partition you can reflash it using the tools in the recovery. The only thing is that the stock ROM has a script that reflashes the stock recovery on every reboot. It's located in /system/etc/ and it's called install-recovery.sh. If you want to keep CWR around while using a stock ROM, you have to manually go in and delete that script otherwise you'll need to fastboot flash recovery every time you need it.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I seem to recall a default recovery thing on Gingerbread...did Google remove or hide it? I know I've seen those options before and I'd never have done any customizing to my phone prior to just yesterday (well, aside from themes).
Yes, there's always a stock recovery although the stock one will only flash signed, official updates and can't backup things so to you it's a quite useless thing.

ThermoPhysical posted:

If a backup made on 4.1.1 is used on 4.1.2, what would happen? Also, it looks like I can backup my backup to my computers as there's a file in the SD card with it. Can I rename this file while in Android or would it mess things up?
A backup is a complete copy of the state of the /system. It's like a save state in a video game, when you restore it you're back to EXACTLY the state the phone was in when you made it. So yes, you can keep backups of as many states as you'd like, they're completely agnostic as to what's in them. Now if you change to a different recovery you won't be able to use your CWR backups in that.

As for your backups, you can export them although it's probably not a necessary thing. You'd need everything in the Clockworkmod folder on your sd card. The Blobs are all the stuff that doesn't change between backups (i.e. common to every backup), don't gently caress with or rename anything in this folder. The Backups folder has each backup by date inside, simply rename those to something convenient if you'd prefer.

ThermoPhysical posted:

As for battery life, I've been playing Broken Sword for about 2 hours or so. My battery went down pretty quick (as it's always done while doing nothing but gaming). It lasted 5 hours, however the screen time was 2h 49m. Previously, with the stock kernel, it was 2h 20m. I guess the custom kernel gave me 20m of battery. Not bad.
The kernel does have one other modification (Power HAL) that I don't know what it is. The Nexus S gets unreal battery life so I've never cared for any changes trying to get more. All I know is my wife gives no gently caress about managing battery and always has plenty. She doesn't even get a signal at work but she doesn't put it in Airplane mode or anything and it's always fine. All she does is turn off wifi if she isn't using it.

One thing, you mentioned maybe going with the stock kernel if/when 4.1.2 rolls out to you. I also know of a kernel that is totally stock with only the addition of BLN if you'd like that. The same guy also makes the stock kernel with just BLN and Voodoo if you'd prefer that. I didn't start looking into anything beyond that until 4.1 just destroyed the thing. Since BigMem got things stable though I don't see her giving that up either. I mean having it isn't hurting anything and she's going to want a non-stock kernel for BLN no matter what (so not OTA updates ever) so the only thing that happens is the phone runs smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Yes you do, Voodoo Sound
Yes it will. The recovery is in a separate partition and that's exactly what it's for--so if anything happens to the /system partition you can reflash it using the tools in the recovery. The only thing is that the stock ROM has a script that reflashes the stock recovery on every reboot. It's located in /system/etc/ and it's called install-recovery.sh. If you want to keep CWR around while using a stock ROM, you have to manually go in and delete that script otherwise you'll need to fastboot flash recovery every time you need it.

Would I have to root to delete this file? It sounds like I would if I need to get into /system/.

If I do, I'll probably just flash CWR again if I need to backup and things like that. Besides it being a minor hassle, would that have any other repercussions?

quote:

Yes, there's always a stock recovery although the stock one will only flash signed, official updates and can't backup things so to you it's a quite useless thing.

quote:

A backup is a complete copy of the state of the /system. It's like a save state in a video game, when you restore it you're back to EXACTLY the state the phone was in when you made it. So yes, you can keep backups of as many states as you'd like, they're completely agnostic as to what's in them. Now if you change to a different recovery you won't be able to use your CWR backups in that.

As for your backups, you can export them although it's probably not a necessary thing. You'd need everything in the Clockworkmod folder on your sd card. The Blobs are all the stuff that doesn't change between backups (i.e. common to every backup), don't gently caress with or rename anything in this folder. The Backups folder has each backup by date inside, simply rename those to something convenient if you'd prefer.

I'll rename the date files, maybe. I probably won't though. What will happen to the backups if the stock kernel overwrites it?

quote:

The kernel does have one other modification (Power HAL) that I don't know what it is. The Nexus S gets unreal battery life so I've never cared for any changes trying to get more. All I know is my wife gives no gently caress about managing battery and always has plenty. She doesn't even get a signal at work but she doesn't put it in Airplane mode or anything and it's always fine. All she does is turn off wifi if she isn't using it.

Does she have wifi on sleep if the screen is off? I currently have it on constantly if I'm in range.

quote:

One thing, you mentioned maybe going with the stock kernel if/when 4.1.2 rolls out to you. I also know of a kernel that is totally stock with only the addition of BLN if you'd like that. The same guy also makes the stock kernel with just BLN and Voodoo if you'd prefer that. I didn't start looking into anything beyond that until 4.1 just destroyed the thing. Since BigMem got things stable though I don't see her giving that up either. I mean having it isn't hurting anything and she's going to want a non-stock kernel for BLN no matter what (so not OTA updates ever) so the only thing that happens is the phone runs smoother.

Hmm, I don't mind having BigMem along with BLN and Voodoo. I probably won't have 4.1.2 for long anyway as my upgrade is in March but I don't mind having all three.

Plus, 4.1.2 + BigMem sounds like it'd be amazing for the Nexus S / S 4G. It even makes Chrome suck a bit less when loading sites, apparently. :v: