Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
One word: furnace.
:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Impalement really gets to me so swordfish heads were cringe worthy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wei really is a monster at the end. All those railings he knocked down. :ohdear:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

rizuhbull posted:

A bunch. That's a quarter of the main story, if that.

sweet lots of fun to be had then. Though all this driving celebrities around part of the game is pretty boring.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno face on the table saw was pretty outrageous, especially when you have to mash the button to cram their head down. That and throwing guys up on the hooks.

I agree that there was a disconnect between the horrible poo poo you did throughout the game and how the story handled Wei as a good guy struggling with awful stuff happening around him, but I think that's more "when you kill civilians and get -15 cop points or shove a guy into an air conditioner fan it happened gameplay-wise but not really story-wise.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SynthOrange posted:

Wei really is a monster at the end. All those railings he knocked down. :ohdear:

And don't forget the ledges he clumsily tripped over!

That bastard. Worse than Hitler.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I have to wonder if there was meant to be more of a minigame associated with sweet talking and persuading people. Just walking up and hitting Y inside of a gigantic window sure isn't anything interesting or challenging.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

I have to wonder if there was meant to be more of a minigame associated with sweet talking and persuading people. Just walking up and hitting Y inside of a gigantic window sure isn't anything interesting or challenging.

?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah maybe a bad idea.

So my game decided to completely gently caress itself. I'd long beaten the story and was going around cleaning up other stuff when I decided to replay some missions to try and max out my Triad meter. While in the middle of the first mission of the game the game crashed during a cutscene and now I'm basically reset to the start of the campaign but I still have all of my money and clothes and cars and unlocks and everything. Favors and other stuff that I've done have started showing up again though so I guess so much for this game!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

GoldenNugget posted:

sweet lots of fun to be had then. Though all this driving celebrities around part of the game is pretty boring.

Pretty sure Rizuhbull was thinking of the wedding and you're quite a bit farther :ssh: If you look at your stats it'll show you how many missions you have left to do.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010
I assume the disjointed story was a result of the troubled development for the game. There are a lot of unresolved plot strands and points where the game leaps around. Example: What happened to the musician dude you show around town? Another one: the mission where ponytail comes into the club and threatens you. For some reason the cutscene implies this is just a warning and he leaves, but then you end up shooting a bunch of dudes for no particular reason.

Even though the pacing feels weird sometimes, I think it's overall a huge strength of the game's storytelling. We didn't get the usual sandbox crap where you do 5 filler missions for each employer before they give you the next one that advances the main plot. Almost every mission moves the main narrative along.

This game is amazing. One of my favorite moments so far was escaping a level 3 heat in a taxi, peeling out to a stop in the middle of the road, and having some random guy jump in for a ride to the airport.

"Do I look like a cab driver to you?!"

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Looks like the first mission DLC is going to be Halloween themed:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/14/3502542/sleeping-dogs-campaign-dlc-nightmare-in-north-point-release-date

quote:

Sleeping Dogs' first story-expanding piece of downloadable content is called Nightmare in North Point, and it will be available on October 30th, co-developers United Front Games and Square Enix London Studios announced at a New York Comic Con panel this afternoon.

The Halloween-themed DLC brings the supernatural into Sleeping Dogs' version of Hong Kong, with the developers' take on zombie fiction via Chinese mythology. Nightmare in North Point tells the story of a gang member whom the Triad tortured and killed; here, he comes back to life with an army of the undead, and it's up to protagonist Wei Shen to take care of the threat.

The developers presented a live demo of Nightmare in North Point in which Shen took on possessed members of the 18K Triad gang. Their eyes glow blue, and when they're killed, they disappear into the ground in a flash of green light. It's a good thing he now has lightning fists courtesy of some magical tea from an earlier mission. Shen also has to contend with Jiang Shi — Chinese vampires. For them, he has a peach wood sword. According to Chinese lore, such blades were used in Taoist exorcisms.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

It must've sold well enough then. That's good.

Count Uvula posted:

Pretty sure Rizuhbull was thinking of the wedding and you're quite a bit farther :ssh: If you look at your stats it'll show you how many missions you have left to do.
Aw, yeah. My bad. Sorry.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

If this manages to be as good a zombie-expansion as Undead Nightmare, I will be a very happy camper. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Jiang Shi, considering the differences from normal vampires.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Big Trouble in Little Hong Kong? BRING IT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I get to kung fu fight vampires!?! Oh hell yes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I get to kung fu fight vampires!?! Oh hell yes.

You get to kung fu fight Chinese *hopping* vampires. I am all over this poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hrmm, I guess I'll have to download a new save file to access this content? Somehow I think my weird broken New Game+ would cause problems.

Or maybe it'll be a standalone from the main menu.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Having just completed this game, I must say it's nice to know that I would be the worst undercover cop ever. Driving everywhere in a police car dressed as a doctor, smashing those precious guard rails non-stop and being completely incapable of doing anything without accidentally killing a civilian suggest I'd be better served as a pork bun salesman.

And really, you all are not real men until you have a pork bun in your hands.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I loving love the environmental dialog in this game. The parking garage dude is fantastic and so are the people they stick outside of your houses.

Also if you didn't sing Take On Me for your "gently caress up this song" mission you're a broken person.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I wish everyone had 17,000 times more lines. Everyone should be talking all the time like we just broke this technology. It would also be nice if Hong Kong had a truly suffocating population density. The traffic seems especially light.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Caufman posted:

I wish everyone had 17,000 times more lines. Everyone should be talking all the time like we just broke this technology. It would also be nice if Hong Kong had a truly suffocating population density. The traffic seems especially light.
The night market is the place for you.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey, sexy maaaaan, want some new cloooothes? Hey! Hey sexy maaaan! Hey! You have money? Buy food on a stick! Hey! Hey!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Caufman posted:

With the freerunning component of the game there should have been a foot chase through a gridlock downtown with you running from or chasing someone overtop of cars jammed on a freeway.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The night market is the place for you.

Easily my favorite place in the game. I always slept in that grimey North Point apartment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Caufman posted:

That's open world games in general though. If anything, Sleeping Dogs has the highest density of cars and peds that I've seen in any game of this type. I went back to try and finish GTA Lost and the Damned (which is just loving awful after playing this game), and the streets were like a goddamn ghost town at times. Coupled with the overall size of Liberty City, and the fact that you had no toys to play with and all the buildings were just for looking at, it was clear which game had the better world to be in.

Loving the news about the DLC. If anyone wants to get themselves in the mood for it, there's a HK movie called Mr Vampire which is goddamn hilarious. Kung fu, hopping vampires, and a ton of laugh out loud moments. Some badly translated versions on YouTube, but worth hunting down a proper version as it's money we'll spent.

A zombie uprising seems to be a safe choice for open world games these days, with being in RDR and Saints Row, and now this. You know what, I'm totally fine with that. I enjoyed shooting them in the head in the old west, I enjoyed performing DDTs on them in Saints Row, and I'm going to enjoy punching them with electric Kung fu fists in Sleeping Dogs. This is DLC I can get behind 100%.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The supernatural eh?

Actually how much of the game is what? It was going to be an original game, then True Crime, then Sleeping Dogs.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

The Halloween-themed DLC brings the supernatural into Sleeping Dogs' version of Hong Kong, with the developers' take on zombie fiction via Chinese mythology. Nightmare in North Point tells the story of a gang member whom the Triad tortured and killed; here, he comes back to life with an army of the undead, and it's up to protagonist Wei Shen to take care of the threat.
Jackie's back :neckbeard: Or at least I hope so!

e: Oh poo poo it was a spoiler!

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2012

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Haha vampires in Hong Kong. Reminds me of early 2000s HK TV, super sayan vampires, that poo poo got pretty Twilight Zone sometimes too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Call Now posted:

Jackie's back :neckbeard: Or at least I hope so!

Sadly I took the bit I'm assuming you're referring to as being about (late game plot spoilers)the previous undercover officer in the Sun On Yee, not Jackie.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Off-screen footage from the Comic-Con demo. Yes, the Jiang Shi hop around!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I'm very happy with this. The voice actors are back for new cinematics, several types of undead to fight, and he said this was the second mission, which implies there are at least three (but probably more than that) plus some open world stuff.

They also said they were inspired by films such as Big Trouble in Little China. These dudes know where it's at.

I was buying the gently caress out of this anyway, but it looks like just the thing to play on Halloween.

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Neat, looks like there's some new kung fu moves as well. Noticed a move where you sweep the legs then kick them in the chest sending the bad guy flying. That looks like fun!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

If there's a Jack Burton outfit in this, it's an instant buy.

I mean, it's already an instant buy for me anyway. But that would be cool too.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The Jack Burton outfit makes your face meter fill faster, but enemies will catch all thrown weapons.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Radish posted:

I agree that there was a disconnect between the horrible poo poo you did throughout the game and how the story handled Wei as a good guy struggling with awful stuff happening around him, but I think that's more "when you kill civilians and get -15 cop points or shove a guy into an air conditioner fan it happened gameplay-wise but not really story-wise.
I didn't really have that issue, but I also was good at not killing civillians. For me, I see Wei as being incredibly vengeful towards the Triads. I never really saw him as struggling with shoving some Triad's face into an air conditioner. That is why he took the job. His conflict comes from how involved he is in this criminal system that he despises and how he connects with some of these criminals.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fuuuuuuck yes. This looks like it's going to hit the same sort of notes that Undead Nightmare did, and I could not be happier about that. I think there was something back when that came out about R* saying Undead Nightmare was like the zombie movie the cast of Red Dead Redemption shot on the sets at night, and that's exactly the same feeling I'm getting from here. Heavily niche genre-influenced open world game gets a tongue-in-cheek horror expansion is a trend I think I can support if they keep being of this quality.

And punching a Jiang Shi in the face with an enchanted parchment is magical. As is Wei being a dick to the head honcho undead Triad. It's also confirmed to be set post-story: Ponytail is one of the Sun On Yee pulled out of Hell by Smiley Cat, along with Dogeyes and some other guy I don't recognize, which means this happens after Wei's final assault on Big Smile Lee's restaurant.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

RandallODim posted:

And punching a Jiang Shi in the face with an enchanted parchment is magical. As is Wei being a dick to the head honcho undead Triad. It's also confirmed to be set post-story: Ponytail is one of the Sun On Yee pulled out of Hell by Smiley Cat, along with Dogeyes and some other guy I don't recognize, which means this happens after Wei's final assault on Big Smile Lee's restaurant.

I'm pretty sure the last guy was Johnny Ratface, the guy you delivered to Winston's mom. I'm not sure if that was Dogeyes or Mr. Tong; either one would be appropriately horrifying.

I wonder if doing these missions will finally get me Triad level 10? Probably not. It would be nuts if they added another skill tree with 10 levels called Demon Hunter or something like that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Loving the news about the DLC. If anyone wants to get themselves in the mood for it, there's a HK movie called Mr Vampire which is goddamn hilarious. Kung fu, hopping vampires, and a ton of laugh out loud moments. Some badly translated versions on YouTube, but worth hunting down a proper version as it's money we'll spent.

There's also Robo Vampire, which combines Chinese vampires and a bad ripoff of Robocop. It's a real thing of beauty, as far as B movies go.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Quiet Python posted:

I'm pretty sure the last guy was Johnny Ratface, the guy you delivered to Winston's mom. I'm not sure if that was Dogeyes or Mr. Tong; either one would be appropriately horrifying.

I wonder if doing these missions will finally get me Triad level 10? Probably not. It would be nuts if they added another skill tree with 10 levels called Demon Hunter or something like that.

Yeah, you're right, it's definitely Johnny Ratface. And I'm pretty sure that's Dogeyes because of the mustache, which I don't think Tong had.

God, another skill tree to have to level up would be kinda crap. I'd rather they just have you get the perks from missions here, like you apparently do with the lightning fists, especially since you're not really going to have a ton of them compared to the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, you're right, it's definitely Johnny Ratface. And I'm pretty sure that's Dogeyes because of the mustache, which I don't think Tong had.
I think that it's Dogeyes because of the outfit, I imagine that Tong would have had the same outfit as he did in life during the original game.

RandallODim posted:

I think there was something back when that came out about R* saying Undead Nightmare was like the zombie movie the cast of Red Dead Redemption shot on the sets at night, and that's exactly the same feeling I'm getting from here.
To me the difference is that Undead Nightmare was set during the game's events, while Nightmare At North Point is set post-game -- as you said, after the assault on Big Smile Lee's restaurant, which combined with the tone of the DLC as seen so far, seems to make Nightmare At North Point actually ''less'' noncanonical than Undead Nightmare.

• Locked thread