Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

Ok so what is the Dorkroom's opinion on this graph?

Is it accurate? Stupid? I show some of my photo buddies this and they seem to like it. I saw this when I was first starting and it seemed pretty true. 4 years later, it seems pretty accurate. I seemed to have skipped the HDR hole. What about you?

Also this needs the obligatory Facebook photography page.

It's slightly amusing and occasionally accurate but also pretty dumb and pretty much img-timeline photography edition.

PAGE 258 SNYPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

It's slightly amusing and occasionally accurate but also pretty dumb and pretty much img-timeline photography edition.

PAGE 258 SNYPA

There's a better version out there, lemme find it.

e. Here it is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Here it is.

Please stop repurposing graphs of my posting quality.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Please stop repurposing graphs of my posting quality.

Don't worry, that line's still there, it just blends in with the x axis.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Don't worry, that line's still there, it just blends in with the x axis.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You didn't even make your own arrow. Slacker.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

You didn't even make your own arrow. Slacker.

I stand on the shoulders of giants.

I also didn't misplace an apostrophe and add an extra letter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

I stand on the shoulders of giants.

I also didn't misplace an apostrophe and add an extra letter.

It's copyright protection, the typos let you know it's an authentic post.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

It's copyright protection, the typos let you know it's an authentic post.

Fakepost spotted.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mannequin posted:

Yeah, Kodak is a company full of problems that has made catastrophic mistakes, but the demand for film is way, way down -- not unexpectedly so. I know pro photographers who grew up shooting film and now only shoot digital just for the convenience factor. Demand is down. Fuji and Kodak are both slashing their film offerings. It is indeed very sad if you are a film fanboy. This isn't 1983 anymore. At least when Kodak was loving up in the 80's people were still giving money to them hand over fist for film and development.

This is true, but film demand has largely hit its floor for the same reasons. It will decline over time but it's not going to be crashing like during the switch to digital. An absurd amount of the film market is now cinematographers who think nothing of blowing through a couple hundred meters of film or disposable cameras (which are still the go-to in many parts of the world). Neither of those markets will switch immediately, cinematographers who still shoot film are doing it for the dynamic range or uprezzing capabilities and it's not possible to make a $5 digital camera that doesn't suck.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The best thing about being a film shooter right now is that we have the most advanced color negative films ever created and they are stuffed full of sweet tech. The worst thing about being a film shooter right now is that we have the most advanced color films that we will ever have. :smith:

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Here it is.

I think you meant to post this:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Someday Pentax ME Super prices will be all jacked up to hell just like the Lomo LC-A and you bastards will be the ones responsible for it. :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Lomo will buy it and call it the ME-8=D or something.

So I called the guy from Craigslist... got the following

-Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS 3.5 Xenar [perfect condition, everything works, no fungus on the lens]
-Pentax ME w/ 50mm f/2 lens [body is perfect, lens doesn't focus even a litle, oh well that lens suck anyway]
-Baby Brownie Special [lol]
-50th Anniv. Brownie [lol]
-Wood tripod [neat, needs a little work though]
-Metal tripod [kinda neat]

And I talked him down to $160 for the whole lot. Really all I wanted was the Rolleiflex. $160 is a hell of a deal for that. I'm going to clean up the ME body and probably put it up on SA for sale soon, so keep an eye out!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's a hell of a deal. Even though everything works, I'm going to recommend that you get the mirror and screen cleaned/replaced if nothing else, it adds a lot to the usability. Also, try flipping the magnifier up and pushing the front of the focusing hood down until it locks. Focus through the viewfinder, then pop up to the sportsfinder to frame and shoot. That feature makes the 'flex the best TLR running in my opinion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a hell of a deal. Even though everything works, I'm going to recommend that you get the mirror and screen cleaned/replaced if nothing else, it adds a lot to the usability. Also, try flipping the magnifier up and pushing the front of the focusing hood down until it locks. Focus through the viewfinder, then pop up to the sportsfinder to frame and shoot. That feature makes the 'flex the best TLR running in my opinion.

Yeah, screen and mirror definitely need a cleaning. I did a thorough strip-down and cleaning of an old Yashica Mat-124G I had, so I imagine the process would be similar for this.

I had no idea that the Rflex had a "prism viewfinder" until I was playing around with it to get the sports finder down, then I noticed an extra mirror flip down and I went " :aaa: !!" Seriously, insane cool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, screen and mirror definitely need a cleaning. I did a thorough strip-down and cleaning of an old Yashica Mat-124G I had, so I imagine the process would be similar for this.

I had no idea that the Rflex had a "prism viewfinder" until I was playing around with it to get the sports finder down, then I noticed an extra mirror flip down and I went " :aaa: !!" Seriously, insane cool.

Probably similar overall. If it was something I planned to keep, I'd have it torn down partially anyway to check the lens calibration, which is kind of an important thing since what you see is not what you get. Sometimes they work loose or get dropped or inexpertly repaired so the lenses aren't focusing at the same point. Odds are it's good enough, but at least then you know it's you loving up the focus and not the camera.

The prism viewfinder is very useful and my favorite feature on the entire camera, it's way easier to shoot moving subjects with some expectation of accuracy. The equivalent-exposure lock on the aperture/shutter knobs is also useful. Rolleis own, everything about the camera just is just dripping with quality and nice touches like that. Treat it well and you can probably pass it on to your grandkids. I expect by that point they'll have figured out how to print CCDs or CMOS onto film to make big cheap sensors and medium/large format gear will be making a comeback :unsmigghh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, my Rollei is an Automat and taking the hood/screen off to clean the mirror was super easy and helped a ton. The viewfinder is still dark as gently caress though. So if you care about that (doesn't bother me) here is a site with upgraded focus screens http://rick that TLR aficionado Vomitonlino recommended to me a while back. Also I hate you because $160 for a Rolleiflex is a screaming deal.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Apologies if this was posted already: one of my nightmares

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet it shows up on craigslist with "some scratches in the body" and "a few marks on the front element".

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

"collection only"

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

InternetJunky posted:

I too am plagued by nightmares of bears forcing me to use zoom lenses.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

rcman50166 posted:

Ok so what is the Dorkroom's opinion on this graph?

Is it accurate? Stupid? I show some of my photo buddies this and they seem to like it. I saw this when I was first starting and it seemed pretty true. 4 years later, it seems pretty accurate. I seemed to have skipped the HDR hole. What about you?

Also this needs the obligatory Facebook photography page.

I followed this (almost) exactly. It's a little eerie and I hope no one searches my dorkroom post history from 2008

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

InternetJunky posted:

The front element probably would've been fine had she put a hood on the thing.

And I don't understand why there isn't a tripod ring on it. Does this person really walk around all day with her camera on a neckstrap and a 3 lb. lens hanging off the front of it?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
She was changing lenses.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

David Pratt posted:

What about those film-emulation presets that are tied to a specific camera, have you tried anything like that?
I can't drop off film presets at Wal Mart and pay an extra $7 per roll when they finally get my film back two months later having disregarded the fact that I wrote "develop only" on the special instructions. Also, slide film is obsolete by any objective measure except the joy of dropping slides you shot into a projector.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

HPL posted:

She was changing lenses.

Why would you need to take off the tripod ring when you change lenses?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

She probably didn't carry a tripod to the zoo.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Yeah, the tripod collar ring is really annoying if you're hand-holding that sucker, so I can't blame her for taking it off.

edit: may be time for a new bear avatar unless someone wants to join Paragon8 and I.

PushingKingston fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 14, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Perhaps that's how the lens ended up in the cage? I haven't tried to take of the collar ring on my 70-200 so I'm not sure it works this way, but perhaps she was changing lenses holding onto the collar and the lens just fell out of the collar?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

Yeah, the tripod collar ring is really annoying if you're hand-holding that sucker, so I can't blame her for taking it off.

edit: may be time for a new bear avatar unless someone wants to join Paragon8 and I.

I endorse this.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the mechanics of the cage work that involves being that close to polar bears when changing lenses.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I want to clean up my online presence a bit and decided to start a site to serve as my portfolio. I want something like these sites: https://www.charlottelybeer.be/ and https://www.stinesampers.com/, which seem to share a common theme and are really no-nonsense, but I have absolutely no experience in HTML editing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fragrag posted:

I want to clean up my online presence a bit and decided to start a site to serve as my portfolio. I want something like these sites: https://www.charlottelybeer.be/ and https://www.stinesampers.com/, which seem to share a common theme and are really no-nonsense, but I have absolutely no experience in HTML editing.

The portfolio thread in this forum is a good guide. I highly recommend 4ormat as a host. It has a lot of template options and looks great without much knowledge needed. Cheap plans too.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Wow, forgot about that thread. Alright, thanks!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I only recently just switched to 4ormat because it's pretty scalable. You can eventually do a lot of html and css yourself but the templates are robust enough that you can get a decent looking site without much effort.

There's so many options out there that you really have to try to get a bad website. Wix is the worst one for me. Whenever I hit one I just close it and move on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah, my Rollei is an Automat and taking the hood/screen off to clean the mirror was super easy and helped a ton. The viewfinder is still dark as gently caress though. So if you care about that (doesn't bother me) here is a site with upgraded focus screens http://rick that TLR aficionado Vomitonlino recommended to me a while back. Also I hate you because $160 for a Rolleiflex is a screaming deal.

Awesome! I found instructions for fitting an RZ67/RB67 screen to a Rolleiflex, but it involved cutting the 67 screen which kind of worries me. Especially when a RZ/RB67 screen is $70 give or take. $30 is a way better deal.

I'm at work and forgot to actually upload my scans to Flickr last night, but a test roll shows that the Rollei works great! I need to get a hood because the Xenar lens picks up a decent amount of flare, but... still fantastic pictures.

Now I have the TLR bug and want a Kalliflex, Autocord, Rolleicord, Ikoflex, C220, C330, etc. etc... they're just so small and fun :shobon:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Awesome! I found instructions for fitting an RZ67/RB67 screen to a Rolleiflex, but it involved cutting the 67 screen which kind of worries me. Especially when a RZ/RB67 screen is $70 give or take. $30 is a way better deal.

I'm at work and forgot to actually upload my scans to Flickr last night, but a test roll shows that the Rollei works great! I need to get a hood because the Xenar lens picks up a decent amount of flare, but... still fantastic pictures.

Now I have the TLR bug and want a Kalliflex, Autocord, Rolleicord, Ikoflex, C220, C330, etc. etc... they're just so small and fun :shobon:

Make a TLR out of ME Supers.

It's fun and easy to do!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

You can get a plastic bay 1 hood on ebay for like $10.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That wedding poo poo I was talking about a few pages back... They hired a photographer and he took about 400 shots. As per my request he sent me the raws (actually jpegs).

Every. loving. Picture has a dust spot on the mirror.

Also people used my t4i as a community camera during the whole thing. I am shocked I didn't get any poop pictures or equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Soulex posted:

Every. loving. Picture has a dust spot on the mirror.

On the mirror? That wouldn't appear in photos.