Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Wait what? You guys had to poop in a jar? I thought the Korean check was invasive, jesus.

No one in Taipei did. It might be on a checklist somewhere, but it's not actually carried out.

For example, my first physical:
Doc: You look pretty healthy.
Me: Thanks, I feel pretty healthy.
Doc: *check every box on the list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You forgot "You have a fat liver" at the end there.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pooping in a jar was scrapped as part of the health check for teachers back in like 2005-2006, IIRC. And like much of Taiwanese immigration policy, it was basically there as a deliberate inconvenience to put people off bothering. Thankfully over time things have gotten better, but mostly only for Westerners - you'll notice these revisions to the permanent residency regulations apply only to "white collar" and "professional" workers. That's their way of saying "Southeast Asians need not apply."

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey guys, I'm currently living in Wuhan on the mainland, and I'm considering making a move to Taiwan. I read the OP and the first few pages, but didn't see any mention of University teaching. I have a B.A. in English, an M.A. in Medieval lit, taught for two years at US universities and two years here. Is it possible to find university employment in Taiwan with these qualifications?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Pooping in a jar was scrapped as part of the health check for teachers back in like 2005-2006, IIRC. And like much of Taiwanese immigration policy, it was basically there as a deliberate inconvenience to put people off bothering. Thankfully over time things have gotten better, but mostly only for Westerners - you'll notice these revisions to the permanent residency regulations apply only to "white collar" and "professional" workers. That's their way of saying "Southeast Asians need not apply."
Part of the check was for "no AIDS thank you". Poop check is hardly the worst check.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I was told I'd need to do a poop check last year.

I was applying to teach at Happy Marian, and the hospital I was told about the poop check was in Xinzhuang.

I didn't take the position, and so I didn't need to do it, but yeah, this was last year.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Whoever said you would need to poop in a jar was wrong. It hasn't happened since like 2003. I had heard of one or two people applying for teaching arcs in like 2004 having to do it.

Also to qualify for an APRC you need to either have a bunch of money(5million nt) OR have been paying the required amount of tax for the previous two years of work. The amount I believe is something around 4200/month

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

thegoat posted:

Whoever said you would need to poop in a jar was wrong. It hasn't happened since like 2003. I had heard of one or two people applying for teaching arcs in like 2004 having to do it.

Also to qualify for an APRC you need to either have a bunch of money(5million nt) OR have been paying the required amount of tax for the previous two years of work. The amount I believe is something around 4200/month
I believe it's "you've been working here for 5 years, no gaps" for most situations, implies you're up to date on taxes too.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

duckfarts posted:

I believe it's "you've been working here for 5 years, no gaps" for most situations, implies you're up to date on taxes too.

The actual regulation is that you need to make about 420,000NT a year. Which is about 35k a month, or twice the minimum wage. Again, probably as part of a grand strategy of "no brown people please".

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

The actual regulation is that you need to make about 420,000NT a year. Which is about 35k a month, or twice the minimum wage. Again, probably as part of a grand strategy of "no brown people please".
Isn't there a period of time you have to exceed too? Otherwise you could just get it after 1 year and that doesn't seem right. Anybody doing a white-collar job should be able to get it easy then, seeing as the required minimum salary(42ish?) for foreign professionals already exceeds that.

TetsuoTW posted:

you'll notice these revisions to the permanent residency regulations apply only to "white collar" and "professional" workers. That's their way of saying "Southeast Asians need not apply."
heh heh heh, wait'll they get a load a me

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Youre right. It needs to be 5 years of unbroken work service on your arc. After four years of being here I switched to a student arc for two years and now back to a working arc for three years. I don't qualify yet. Knowing these rules years ago would have been great!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

duckfarts posted:

Isn't there a period of time you have to exceed too? Otherwise you could just get it after 1 year and that doesn't seem right. Anybody doing a white-collar job should be able to get it easy then, seeing as the required minimum salary(42ish?) for foreign professionals already exceeds that.

Yeah, there are obviously other requirements. That's the one for salary. You also need a health check. And a criminal record check from your home country. And a criminal record check from this country. They all need to arrive at the same time. Some of them are barely valid for more time than the amount of time it takes to get them sent to your place in the states, notarized, forwarded here, translated, re-notarized, painted blue, sprinkled with fairy dust and turned in. Hopefully at the exact same time that you arranged for the health certificate to be picked up, and the Taiwanese criminal record check to be ready, and the tax info showing that you have the required average amount of annual income for the previous 3 years. And GOD HELP YOU if one of those forms is delayed, because then your notarized, translated, re-notarized criminal record check is going to expire, and you'll have to start at square one while you watch the rest of your menagerie of documents slowly become invalid for your next attempt.

You also need five years of unbroken residency. At least 183 days in country per year.

So yeah, it's more than just that, but when this new stuff goes through it will be slightly easier! Which is awesome!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the plus side, until a couple of years ago it was eight years rather than five.

duckfarts posted:

heh heh heh, wait'll they get a load a me
"Wait, but you're brown, but you have a professional job, but you have a weird name, but you speak English, but :psyboom:"

skysedge
May 26, 2006

Spiderjelly posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently living in Wuhan on the mainland, and I'm considering making a move to Taiwan. I read the OP and the first few pages, but didn't see any mention of University teaching. I have a B.A. in English, an M.A. in Medieval lit, taught for two years at US universities and two years here. Is it possible to find university employment in Taiwan with these qualifications?

Most faculty openings in Taiwan are posted on the National Science Council website. I'm in the sciences though, so I'm not sure what things are like on the liberal arts side. I'd assume that requirements are similar to applying to a faculty position in the US (CV, sample lecture, reference letters.. etc).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Actually the whole thing with Taiwan's attitude toward Southeast Asians reminds me: anyone got any idea where to get a decent book about Tagalog grammar in this joint? Page One (RIP) doesn't have anything, and neither Xinyi nor Dunhua Eslites have more than books that are just lists of sentences. I may as well be looking for a book on learning loving Klingon.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

TetsuoTW posted:

Actually the whole thing with Taiwan's attitude toward Southeast Asians reminds me: anyone got any idea where to get a decent book about Tagalog grammar in this joint? Page One (RIP) doesn't have anything, and neither Xinyi nor Dunhua Eslites have more than books that are just lists of sentences. I may as well be looking for a book on learning loving Klingon.

http://www.amazon.com/Klingon-Dictionary-Star-Trek/dp/067174559X

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!
Hey guys, originally posted in another forum and was directed here. Staying on Hsueh-fu road in Shulin near edge of Sanxia for next three weeks on vacation. I have most weekday daytimes to myself and it would be cool to have a westerner to hang with who knows the area and whatnot. My gf is Taiwanese with excellent english but doesnt really know much about places and activities for westerners. Please pm me or reply.
Thanks goons!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

eArh0x posted:

Hey guys, originally posted in another forum and was directed here. Staying on Hsueh-fu road in Shulin near edge of Sanxia for next three weeks on vacation. I have most weekday daytimes to myself and it would be cool to have a westerner to hang with who knows the area and whatnot. My gf is Taiwanese with excellent english but doesnt really know much about places and activities for westerners. Please pm me or reply.
Thanks goons!

If you can hold out a week, I live in Sanxia, but I'm on vacation in the States until the 25th.

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!

Haraksha posted:

If you can hold out a week, I live in Sanxia, but I'm on vacation in the States until the 25th.

Yeah man, that'd be great! I look forward to it.

To all others, Is there anything going on for Halloween in these parts?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

eArh0x posted:

Yeah man, that'd be great! I look forward to it.

To all others, Is there anything going on for Halloween in these parts?

I'll be at warner village in Taipei, the whole area is one huge party.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Can anyone tell me anything about Fo Guang University? I'm looking at it for language study and maybe their Master of Buddhist Studies program, but other than a semester in Hong Kong all of my Chinese Studies experience is on the mainland, so I don't know much of anything about the place yet.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Donraj posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about Fo Guang University? I'm looking at it for language study and maybe their Master of Buddhist Studies program, but other than a semester in Hong Kong all of my Chinese Studies experience is on the mainland, so I don't know much of anything about the place yet.

Fo Guang university posted:

On average, a ten square meter apartment can cost NTD 1,000 to 2,000 a month.
:aaaaa:

I know you'll need more than ten square meters, but even extrapolating... That is monstrously cheap.

I've never heard of Fo Guang before, but after some googling it appears to be way out in the sticks which makes the real estate market make sense. Yilan is already a pretty small city, and you appear to be a good 5 miles away from it based on Google Maps. If you like (really) small-town living it could be up your alley. Personally I'd be bored out of my mind.

As for actual instruction, I don't know that they'd attract the same quality of teachers as NTU or NTNU would. That said, I suspect you'd be speaking plenty of Chinese out there, and perhaps even Taiwanese too!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's in Jiaoxi, which is mostly known for its hot springs rather than its university. Aside from that, I've heard literally nothing about FGU. I might see what the consultants at work have to say about it tomorrow.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Bugger!

My mum & my brother will be in Beijing next week for 9~ days.

Getting a visa in that time frame is going to be a bitch (and fitting the trip to have the least impact on colleagues too)

A quick google suggests this awesome sounding work around.

Has anyone tried this/can verify it?

url fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 21, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

Bugger!

Getting a visa in that time frame is going to be a bitch (and fitting the trip to have the least impact on colleagues too)

I've done same day visas twice before, though through some travel agency a friend knows and uses often. Don't remember the cost, but it's definitely a thing.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

url posted:

Bugger!

Absolutely works, did that this August. I just opted for 2-3 days, didn't get that same day service but it was an option. It costs an arm and a leg since you're basically paying for a private parcel service and for a guy to wait in line but it works.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Awesome news, much appreciated .... seriously - thanks.

as regards my job (hi ducks/usda) - i'm not sure this is even possible, but if there's a squeak of a chance - i'll try. If it is possible (financially etc), i'll pull a friday thru sunday thing.

But yeah, my ma and my bro are here on a short notice thing that's not worth explaining.

More importantly I need to work out how this will impact the free hotpot & hooch night I had planned on Nov 3.

Mums & brothers come & go whereas first year celebrations with hotpot and sauce are a rare thing (I got given 5L of hooch recently (it's as bad as you could ever imagine))

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

USDA Choice posted:

:aaaaa:

I know you'll need more than ten square meters, but even extrapolating... That is monstrously cheap.

I've never heard of Fo Guang before, but after some googling it appears to be way out in the sticks which makes the real estate market make sense. Yilan is already a pretty small city, and you appear to be a good 5 miles away from it based on Google Maps. If you like (really) small-town living it could be up your alley. Personally I'd be bored out of my mind.

As for actual instruction, I don't know that they'd attract the same quality of teachers as NTU or NTNU would. That said, I suspect you'd be speaking plenty of Chinese out there, and perhaps even Taiwanese too!

Meh, I'm at NTNU right now for their language program. Just buy the books and study on your own. The teachers aren't particularly good here and I happen to have gotten the worst in the program. Class is just a waste of time that I could be using to teach myself the grammer, memorize vocab or practice conversation on my own instead of trying to figure out what the hell she is trying to teach, because she is horrible at it.

Just go on out there. The teacher wont make a difference. It's up to you to learn how to speak Chinese. The school is just a necessary evil to get a visa.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

dtb posted:

Meh, I'm at NTNU right now for their language program. Just buy the books and study on your own. The teachers aren't particularly good here and I happen to have gotten the worst in the program. Class is just a waste of time that I could be using to teach myself the grammer, memorize vocab or practice conversation on my own instead of trying to figure out what the hell she is trying to teach, because she is horrible at it.

Just go on out there. The teacher wont make a difference. It's up to you to learn how to speak Chinese. The school is just a necessary evil to get a visa.

I was at NTNU for 2 semesters and my first semester I had easily the best Chinese teacher I've ever had, probably among the top 3 teachers I've had in any subject at any level. The second semester teacher sucked, though the classmates I had that semester were also disappointed and said they had good teachers previously. I don't believe that Taipei schools are really that great, but a prestige/pay hierarchy exists in most any industry.

I'd also disagree that school is just a means to a visa. Drilling/repetition is important, speaking with classmates and being able to ask questions about usage is huge. Even a crappy teacher will be able to answer a direct question about distinctions that won't at all appear obvious to a second language learner like us. 生活 vs 人生, 跨年 vs 過年 for example.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was at NTNU for 2 and a half semesters when I first came here. The first two teachers were really good, the third just droned on, gave us no practice, and I eventually just quit out of the program out of boredom and frustration.

This was the 5 classes a week, 2 hours a day program. I did it at the same time as teaching English, so my visa wasn't dependent on it at all. It got me the basic grammar and understanding of characters that has gotten me by here quite well. People compliment my Chinese every time I speak.

I also met my wife there, another foreign student. So it's not all bad!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dtb posted:

It's up to you to learn how to speak Chinese.

This singular fact is missed by sooooo many people in soooo many things.
If you want it enough, you 'will' do it - by hook or by crook or by jimminy or bypass/binary (ran out of by+thing).

Ravendas posted:

People compliment my Chinese every time I speak.

"People" lie.

:D

I was considering the NTNU thing for a while. Soon after I got here people said use Fu Ren, and I am still looking at my options to do that. Working 9-5 makes it very hard to accommodate, and atm, I'm getting by (slowly but surely) with 4 hours provided by work and and extra class at the weekend with the same tutor.

I'd like to speak to Haraksha's tutor at some point since he seems to be quite happy and the tutor is nearer and cheaper than my current.

I passed up on the chance to take the first test next month because, i just don't think I'm ready for it yet. (not that the test means anything, but even a minor cert shows up on a resume). I will be doing the tests in May though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

url posted:

"People" lie.

:D

Kinda douchey for never having met me, eh?

My wife doesn't speak (much) English, Chinese is the language I've used at home for the past 3 years.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

USDA Choice posted:

[...]I'd also disagree that school is just a means to a visa. Drilling/repetition is important, speaking with classmates and being able to ask questions about usage is huge. Even a crappy teacher will be able to answer a direct question about distinctions that won't at all appear obvious to a second language learner like us. 生活 vs 人生, 跨年 vs 過年 for example.

I've found the doorman at my building is a great person to make small talk with.
Perhaps your millage will vary, but I think my local Taiwanese friends do just fine at explaining things. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone to a school In 高雄 where everything is cheaper and the weather is nicer and the beaches are closer.
If you think you want a job in Taipei after you learn the language, then by all means be in Taipei, but if you want to go to a specific program at a specific university, get as close to that place as you can get.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

Kinda douchey for never having met me, eh?

My wife doesn't speak (much) English, Chinese is the language I've used at home for the past 3 years.

It was inspired by my own jealousy.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I don't think people are lying to Ravendas, praise is just handed out too readily here to foreigners speaking Chinese that it makes being complimented rather meaningless since it lumps together everyone that can toss out a 你好 and 謝謝.

How common is this exchange?
:mmmhmm:: 你好
:holy:: 誒!?你的國語很棒喔,非常標準!
:mmmhmm:: ???

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

I don't think people are lying to Ravendas, praise is just handed out too readily here to foreigners speaking Chinese that it makes being complimented rather meaningless since it lumps together everyone that can toss out a 你好 and 謝謝.

heh

I have been told exactly once that my pronunciation is good.
I have also been told exactly once "your chinese really sucks"

I think the sum total of my study time is at around 200 hours so far - so I know which of the two statements I believe. When I am comfortable enough to speak Chinese at home every day, day-in day-out I'll be happy. So yeah, I don't really think anyone is lying to Ravendas, I am just jealous.

url fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 22, 2012

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
with the discussion about NTNU classes, does anyone have any experience with ICLP? Is it worth the tuition premium? Is the workload as bad as alleged? I was contemplating an intensive immersion program either at ICLP, NTU CLD, NTNU (I know nothing about this one) or at HKU/CUHK (yeah, HK isn't a great place to learn Putonghua but I've family living in both Taipei and HK, and I probably need to pick up some Cantonese as well)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
So, my company's looking for technical writers again, requirements being that your English is loving flawless and you know how to write. If you're a goon, chances are you have some tech competency already. Not sure how many people we're hiring exactly, but to my knowledge, it is "plural".

Job postin' is here(hope it's okay to post this here seeing as it's pretty relevant):
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=114673

I should note that it's a jobby job, with all its pros and cons vs teaching.

Pros:
  • Regular hours that don't vary every week
  • Tech poo poo is pretty cool
  • Job is stable if you don't suck
  • This isn't a skeevy under the table job where they don't support an ARC or pay you varying amounts in envelopes
  • Job experience that looks like job experience
  • Actual perks/employee welfare/holiday bonuses/stuff here 'n there
  • Vacation days you can actually use without requiring favors to get a sub
Cons:
  • It is in fact a jobby job
  • May not be as interesting/rewarding as teaching for some people
  • Full-time job means it's much harder to find time to study Chinese if you're serious on learning fast
  • Corporate environments aren't for everybody, like dirty hippies
  • If your tech knowledge sucks, you suck. This isn't really a con, it's just a statement. Also, work will be difficult I guess.
This all applies to tech writing in Taiwan in general.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

Maybe half the time I get in a taxi (which is a lot), I get a '你中文說得很標準~'

So yeah, that seems to be the most common thing, usually from people that speak mostly Taiwanese, because our Chinese can actually be a bit clearer sometimes.

Also, I literally officiated my own wedding in Chinese here in Taiwan. So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Honestly, I was kidding.
My ineptitude at the language still surprises me.