Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I made pumpkin bread and pumpkin pancakes this week, both of which were delicious. The bread was just banana nut bread with pumpkin puree instead of bananas and a little extra honey for sweetness. The pancakes were just a standard Bisquick recipe with pumpkin puree and sugar added.

To make the pumpkin puree, I halved a sugar pie pumpkin and scooped out all the seeds and guts. A good salting on each half and then 45 minutes on a cookie sheet, and they were nice and soft. Then, I cut them into pieces and gave them a long whirl in the food processor until it was the consistency of apple sauce. The stuff tasted really great by itself, but I managed to exert enough self-control to save it for cooking.

I love pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I found a coconut washing up on the beach, fully intact. Is it safe to crack it open and eat it?

I've peeled off the hair, and when I pierced the shell there was a depressurizing noise as some gas escaped; this gives me pause, but I've never opened a coconut before so I don't know whether this is normal. It smells like the sea, so it's hard to tell whether or not it's "bad" (how long would it take for an adrift coconut to go bad?)

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
^ Just dont put any lime in it ^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wg_L0wGTyA
(I don't have any idea about coconut food safety)

I have a horrible history of trying to cook rice with the absorbtion method. I've kinda got it all sorted for white rice, but I'm cooking a meal in about an hour that needs brown rice. I've had enough trial and error to make sure I don't burn the bottom of a pan or anything with brown rice either now, or end up with lovely rice

I'm using long grain rice this time, not short grain... I have two related questions:

If I toast it in a little oil beforehand, and cook it in stock instead of just water as per instructions on the package, am I going to need to add more water than the regular 2:1 water rice ratio, and is it going to take the standard 25 minutes plus 10-12mins stand, or will I have to allow for more time?

Also would it be easier to just toast the rice in the little bit of oil, cook via absortion and then try and season it later on in the process? I feel like that would not work out so great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

me your dad posted:

Homemade chicken stock question - the recipes I'm finding call for a large amount of carcasse (2-4lb). I've got one, from a medium sized bird (I guess) and I don't know how many pounds it was. It's typical of what you might get from a rotisserie chicken.

Can anyone give me an idea of measurements to go along with this?

Whenever I make stock, I tend to just throw it together with whatever I've got in the flat at the time. You don't need to be super-precise to make good stock. I usually go with something along the following lines:

Dice a leek or an onion, a carrot and a stalk of celery if you have it. We never have celery, because my wife can't abide it.

Fry these on a low heat in some of the chicken fat, then break the bones of the chicken into the pan and fry for a bit more. Then throw in a couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. After a few minutes of gentle frying, cover with boiling water, and leave to simmer with the lid on for a few hours.

If the stock isn't concentrated enough, or there's simply too much of it, take the lid off after this time and simmer until it reduces. Strain and allow to cool, then freeze in batches for use whenever you need it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Whenever I make stock, I tend to just throw it together with whatever I've got in the flat at the time. You don't need to be super-precise to make good stock. I usually go with something along the following lines:

Dice a leek or an onion, a carrot and a stalk of celery if you have it. We never have celery, because my wife can't abide it.

Fry these on a low heat in some of the chicken fat, then break the bones of the chicken into the pan and fry for a bit more. Then throw in a couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. After a few minutes of gentle frying, cover with boiling water, and leave to simmer with the lid on for a few hours.

If the stock isn't concentrated enough, or there's simply too much of it, take the lid off after this time and simmer until it reduces. Strain and allow to cool, then freeze in batches for use whenever you need it.

Just about what I do too.

Also, how's the grinder? Haven't seen you use it at all yet. :colbert:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, guilty as charged. Making Pasta for me is basically combining bland stuff with good stuff. I figured sauce is the one thing I can improve on, since making dough is a bit too :effort:

Italian cookbook it is, I guess.

And don't feel bad about using dried pasta, it's what Italy runs on and can be very good. Try out different manufacturers and try for yourself.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

Just about what I do too.

Also, how's the grinder? Haven't seen you use it at all yet. :colbert:

It's excellent! So far, I've made meatballs and burgers. I was going to make sausage rolls for the picnic ICSA, but I ran out of flour before I could make the pastry...

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Someone tossed me a recipe for sour rye soup on another forum... where exactly does one find rye sourdough? I could probably get this at a Polish butcher where I'm getting my keilbasa right?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

So, you know all those suggestions you guys gave me for improving the salad?
Let's just say they were good suggestions.

looks a lot prettier than your first description sounded, glad it worked out!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Aradekasta posted:

So it's pumpkin-in-everything season. Every year I'm mildly disappointed with my pumpkin things, and am thinking maybe I don't like pumpkin as much as I like the idea of it. I tried pumpkin beer bread (roughly, slate's version), pumpkin biscotti, and an attempt at reproducing the pumpkin spice latte. Meh. Any ideas on other things to put pumpkin in? Polenta is on the agenda already.

Try this: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

But with pumpkin! Been meaning to try that myself.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

QuarkJets posted:

I found a coconut washing up on the beach, fully intact. Is it safe to crack it open and eat it?

I've peeled off the hair, and when I pierced the shell there was a depressurizing noise as some gas escaped; this gives me pause, but I've never opened a coconut before so I don't know whether this is normal. It smells like the sea, so it's hard to tell whether or not it's "bad" (how long would it take for an adrift coconut to go bad?)

I would assume that is how coconuts travel in nature, saying something about if they are to turn into trees, then the nuts must be fresh...

... I would taste it, and it tastes good - fine, if not - then throw it out..

(Unless you live on the Norwegian coast - then you should totally turn that sucker into moonshine!)

Edit: Holy poo poo - bad English.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

I would assume that is how coconuts travel in nature, saying something about if they are to turn into trees, then the nuts must be fresh...

... I would taste it, and it tastes good - fine, if not - then throw it out..

(Unless you live on the Norwegian coast - then you should totally turn that sucker into moonshine!)

Edit: Holy poo poo - bad English.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Very Strange Things posted:

Only with the aid of an African swallow

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

If he does he is correct. I just watched a great BBC Nature documentary about the South Pacific and in that theyshow how Coconut trees have become the most widespread tree in that area simply because the nuts a so well designed for surviving long sea journies.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Seemed logical..

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are you saying they don't? :colbert:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Aradekasta posted:

So it's pumpkin-in-everything season. Every year I'm mildly disappointed with my pumpkin things, and am thinking maybe I don't like pumpkin as much as I like the idea of it. I tried pumpkin beer bread (roughly, slate's version), pumpkin biscotti, and an attempt at reproducing the pumpkin spice latte. Meh. Any ideas on other things to put pumpkin in? Polenta is on the agenda already.

As was mentioned earlier, the spice tends to be the highlight in those dishes. If you don't already, get some whole nutmeg & allspice berries. If your cinnamon is old then get a new bottle too, powdered spices don't last as long as fresh spices, and if your dishes were lacking a kick, that might be the culprit. Not only are fresh spices better tasting, but they will last longer. You'll need a grater for the nutmeg and a mortar and pestle for the allspice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

CloseFriend posted:

... strawberries and Parmesan...

The go-to banquet salad where I work has diced strawberries and parm baked on a silpat into crisps and then shattered (along with mixed greens and chickpeas). The parm crisp flavor goes with the berries better than the uncooked stuff, and it lends another texture to the plate, so maybe try that sometime

Q: I went apple picking on thanksgiving, which is awesome by the way, and after dividing up our haul I have about a dozen huge, crunchy apples. Besides the usual pies and crisps, anybody have a favorite apple recipe? Maybe something with pork?

E: Pie is done, also delicious

They're cortland apples

Another Dirty Dish fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2012

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I recently acquired a large amount of apples of several different varieties. I'm thinking about trying to bake an apple pie but I've never actually done that. Any helpful hints for good old fashioned (or not so old fashioned) applie pie? Creative suggestions? I have a few pears as well, could that be incorporated into the recipe?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

lifts cats over head posted:

I recently acquired a large amount of apples of several different varieties. I'm thinking about trying to bake an apple pie but I've never actually done that. Any helpful hints for good old fashioned (or not so old fashioned) applie pie? Creative suggestions? I have a few pears as well, could that be incorporated into the recipe?

Personally I always go for lots of cinnamon since I think it makes apple pie really pop, but I'm well aware that some people hate apple pie with anything more than a little sugar syrup.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://southernfood.about.com/od/applepies/r/bl50808a.htm

This is one of my favorite kinds of apple pie, minus the nuts. Brown sugar crumble over crust any day.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe that uses shrimp, Andouille sausage, and chicken? I used to have a decent one but no frigging idea where I put it, and Google is just returning recipes that look at over the place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm an apple crumble man myself. Easy to add pears, plums, rhubarb: what ever you fancy.

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance
I am making a pot roast today for the second time. What is the trick to get it tender like gran'ma use to make it? This recipe im going by calls for 4 hours of cooking, 2 1/2 on one side and 1 1/2 turned over. What happens if I cook for longer, as in does the meat over cook or become more tender. Wish me luck!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

therattle posted:

I'm an apple crumble man myself - I run an apple crumble business. This is my pears, plums and rhubarb.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I bought a big wooden tortilla press at a garage sale for $1. Its pretty sweet and I was thinking of making some homemade tortillas for tacos because I have a ton of avocados so two things...

Are making tortillas as easy as what I've found online? (flour, salt, water, olive oil or lard, maybe baking soda?)

What are your favorite recipes for tacos? I was going to do some sort of fish or chicken or beef + some bell peppers, onions, garlic maybe, kale, cheese, beans, corn and anything else I can throw in. I'll try and only do a few ingredients but my family just likes it all, :( or :) I can't decide

edit this is pretty much it:

Any tortilla recipes?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 16, 2012

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm a super cooking newbie, but I got some cheap boneless pork ribs the other day. What's the best way to cook them? Do I have to back them or can I just throw them in a pan/on a george foreman?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Braise them or make ghetto confit with them. That's what I do with those

(To make confit with them put them in a pan and cover them with hot oil/fat and cook them in a low own (like 275ish) for many hours)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I bought a big wooden tortilla press at a garage sale for $1. Its pretty sweet and I was thinking of making some homemade tortillas for tacos because I have a ton of avocados so two things...

Are making tortillas as easy as what I've found online? (flour, salt, water, olive oil or lard, maybe baking soda?)

What are your favorite recipes for tacos? I was going to do some sort of fish or chicken or beef + some bell peppers, onions, garlic maybe, kale, cheese, beans, corn and anything else I can throw in. I'll try and only do a few ingredients but my family just likes it all, :( or :) I can't decide

edit this is pretty much it:

Any tortilla recipes?

So should I drive to the store and get some masa harina or just make it with regular flour?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saint Darwin posted:

Anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe that uses shrimp, Andouille sausage, and chicken? I used to have a decent one but no frigging idea where I put it, and Google is just returning recipes that look at over the place.

This is a legit good recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2/index.html

I brown the andouille first and reserve, then cook the vegetables in the andouille grease + oil and then continue as specified. I double the vegetables and use a lot more of the spices, but that's up to taste. I also like to sear the shrimp first instead of just letting it cook at the end. You can adjust the meat however you want too, don't feel enslaved to the proportions for that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks Grand, I think that's actually the original of the one I use, but I modified mine a bit.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I love homemade tacos, any suggestions on how to spice them up a little bit (not literally spice them up, but enhance the experience)? I found making some pico makes the construction of the tacos easier. We've added avocados now as well. They are delicious as they are, just curious if any other taco aficionados have suggestions.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cereal eater posted:

I love homemade tacos, any suggestions on how to spice them up a little bit (not literally spice them up, but enhance the experience)? I found making some pico makes the construction of the tacos easier. We've added avocados now as well. They are delicious as they are, just curious if any other taco aficionados have suggestions.

My absolute favorite tacos I've made have been with braised pork. I absolutely love the texture. This recipe is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6svS1oxDE

(America's Test Kitchen hate incoming)

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Hard, or soft tacos? What's the main filling you're using?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Do microwave egg poachers work anywhere as near as stove-top poachers? I'm interested in a quick breakfast but I've read microwave poacher reviews that mentioned the difficulty of getting the whites fully cooked while keeping the yolk soft.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

So should I drive to the store and get some masa harina or just make it with regular flour?
Masa harina. Flour tortillas are rolled. Corn tortillas are pressed.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You should definitely get some masa harina, that's what tortilla presses are mainly for. I have in the past used one to make flour, but I think flour tortillas are usually rolled out. That said, I used http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/fresh-homemade-flour-tortillas-in-no.html and they turned out pretty good, and he instructs to use a tortilla press. They come out more like flatbreads/ghetto naan (it's not similar really to naan, it's just kinda around that thickness) than the flour tortillas that are common to the US area. I also made a variation where I replaced buttermilk for the water and it turned out decent as well.

When I was in New Mexico for a spell, I really loved the calabacitas I got there, which I think translates to squashes or something. So roasted squash (zucchini especially) + cheese + roasted green chile makes a pretty decent taco, IMO.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I picked up some queso fresco, and sampling a bit I like the taste but it doesn't strike me as a main ingredient cheese. Is it best used as more of a topping? I could imagine putting it on salads and such. I'm sure I can get through it all just by doing that, but I'm up for more interesting ideas that feature it a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sudoku posted:

I picked up some queso fresco, and sampling a bit I like the taste but it doesn't strike me as a main ingredient cheese. Is it best used as more of a topping? I could imagine putting it on salads and such. I'm sure I can get through it all just by doing that, but I'm up for more interesting ideas that feature it a bit more.

Crumble some over tacos if you want to see God.