Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Paul.Power posted:

On the other hand, Lord English isn't a game construct, so maybe "final boss" isn't the right term. A better description would be either:

a) The most glitch-exploiting, munchkin-happy and ruthless PvP player that the game has ever seen.

b) Well, to use the obvious analogy, Lord British.

If you want to get :smug: about it, Lord English is a game construct too in the sense that all players are game constructs due to ectobiology. Throw on that "sanctioned by paradox space" thing and the fact that the game let him get all his crazy power in the first place by making him Lord of Time, and he's as much a construct as Bec Noir.

Hell, the whole cast minus I guess Dad are really just chess pieces the game made up. Count pre and post scratch versions of both universes and there's even the correct number of pieces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
But are they all wearing the right hats?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Dolash posted:

If you want to get :smug: about it, Lord English is a game construct too in the sense that all players are game constructs due to ectobiology. Throw on that "sanctioned by paradox space" thing and the fact that the game let him get all his crazy power in the first place by making him Lord of Time, and he's as much a construct as Bec Noir.

Hell, the whole cast minus I guess Dad are really just chess pieces the game made up. Count pre and post scratch versions of both universes and there's even the correct number of pieces!

16 Prospit dreamers. 16 Derse dreamers. And, uh, half of Sollux.

Now we just need some...players.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Inside sources are saying that Tavros's Dancestor's name will definitely be Rufiyo Nitram. And I cannot wait to meet him. :allears:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Slime posted:

The Black Queen is the final boss. Bec Noir is the secret boss. Lord English is the SUPER secret boss.

And beyond that, is us. We are the ultimate antagonist beyond Lord English.

Well, on a meta level it's our crazy enthusiasm for seeing terrible and/or cool things happen to the characters that got them into the game to start with.

The end of Homestuck will be a negative of the Earthbound ending, with all the kids praying for us readers to stop giving a drat and just let them go home.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Inside sources are saying that Tavros's Dancestor's name will definitely be Rufiyo Nitram. And I cannot wait to meet him. :allears:

No matter how interesting Rufiyo will be, dancestor Zahhak will steal the limelight. I can feel it. He's going to be the best character ever. (My greatest fear is that i will be away from my computer when the next walkabout shows up, and all the D-Zahhak avatars will be taken when i get back.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Technique posted:

dancestor Zahhak will steal the limelight

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Dancestor's name will definitely be Rufiyo Nitram. And I cannot wait to meet him. :allears:

You guys keep saying dancestor, and I'm picturing all of the ancestors dancing around in a looping gif like a Charlie Brown play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Well, on a meta level it's our crazy enthusiasm for seeing terrible and/or cool things happen to the characters that got them into the game to start with.

The end of Homestuck will be a negative of the Earthbound ending, with all the kids praying for us readers to stop giving a drat and just let them go home.

I'm still fond of the idea that Lord English is supposed to be an audience surrogate, so this might make a surprising amount of sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I think you might be taking the UU/uu as author surrogates thing a little too far there. Not all meta commentary makes a decent story.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Also, Dipper and Tyrone Pine from Gravity Falls, for some reason.

I actually caught up with Dipper and Tyrone there over the weekend and asked for a picture of them, they totally told me to check out the big Homestuck meetup. Homestuck meetups are hella daunting and I didn't really wanna go near it, but they were both pretty cool dudes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Gravity Falls also provides positive cosplaying opportunities for people with downs syndrome

It's better this way for Paper Jam Dipper

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Edit:
"We've explored ancient crypts, networks of 8urial mounds, dusty old tom8s, giant pyramids."
LOCAH
LOMAX
LOTAK
LOPAN

So, this is from a few pages back, but it got me thinking. If this is a real possibility, then couldn't it be easy to say that since Jane has the Land of Crypts and Helium, the other kids might have noble gases as their second land-words too? Which would make the other lands The Land of Mounds and Xenon, The Land of Tombs and Krypton, and The Land of Pyramids and Neon. Would make sense, right?

But that leaves two noble gases left. Argon and Radon. And there are two more players who need lands: Caliborn and Caliope. (let's just ignore all the Complicated poo poo and pretend they're both normal players who get lands, i dunno how it would really work with them!)

Radon can cause cancer. And if Jack was the cancer of the Beta kids' universe, then Lord English is kinda like a cancer of reality itself, isn't he?. Which would make it fitting for Caliborn to have the Land of Something and Radon.

And Argon can be used in surgery to kill cancer cells. Calliope is basically the key to stopping Lord English. So she might have the Land of Whatever and Argon. There's also the fact that Argon means "passive" in Greek, and she's a Muse, the most passive class. This would all fit pretty well with the other cancer thematism, too.

This is all just theorycrafting, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you might be taking the UU/uu as author surrogates thing a little too far there. Not all meta commentary makes a decent story.

I was just kidding :)

Someone tell me what dancestor comes from. Ancestor + ???

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Technique posted:

Argon and Radon poo poo

This makes so much sense it's almost terrifying, especially the whole "Argon" and "passive" thing.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ancestor + Descendant. Weird Time poo poo, basically. :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Specifically it's from one of the tag gags in the first (or second? but I think first) part of the A6I3 walkabout, where Meenah was trying out different descendant/ancestor portmanteaux. Technically, of course, she was thinking of the A2 players (Karkat and company) there, but dancestry clearly cuts both ways.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Technique posted:

So, this is from a few pages back, but it got me thinking. If this is a real possibility, then couldn't it be easy to say that since Jane has the Land of Crypts and Helium, the other kids might have noble gases as their second land-words too? Which would make the other lands The Land of Mounds and Xenon, The Land of Tombs and Krypton, and The Land of Pyramids and Neon. Would make sense, right?

But that leaves two noble gases left. Argon and Radon. And there are two more players who need lands: Caliborn and Caliope. (let's just ignore all the Complicated poo poo and pretend they're both normal players who get lands, i dunno how it would really work with them!)

Radon can cause cancer. And if Jack was the cancer of the Beta kids' universe, then Lord English is kinda like a cancer of reality itself, isn't he?. Which would make it fitting for Caliborn to have the Land of Something and Radon.

And Argon can be used in surgery to kill cancer cells. Calliope is basically the key to stopping Lord English. So she might have the Land of Whatever and Argon. There's also the fact that Argon means "passive" in Greek, and she's a Muse, the most passive class. This would all fit pretty well with the other cancer thematism, too.

This is all just theorycrafting, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Except that Caliborn and Calliope are in an entirely different session, so there's no reason to expect their lands to thematically related to the kids any more than theirs were thematically related to the trolls.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Except that Caliborn and Calliope are in an entirely different session, so there's no reason to expect their lands to thematically related to the kids any more than theirs were thematically related to the trolls.

There definitely seems to be some link between the sessions, though. Otherwise they wouldn't talk to the Alpha kids.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Technique posted:

There definitely seems to be some link between the sessions, though. Otherwise they wouldn't talk to the Alpha kids.

And the kids talked to the trolls, and Jade and Jake talked to each other. Their lands still didn't relate thematically.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

fatherdog posted:

And the kids talked to the trolls, and Jade and Jake talked to each other. Their lands still didn't relate thematically.

Well, yeah, but if the speculation is true and all the Alpha lands are related like that, then that would also be pretty different from any of the other sessions, and as such it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say it might also include the cherubs somehow. I mean, it's pretty obvious that there's more going on between those two sessions than we know so far! It doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same as all the other sessions.

e: Augh, i should have gone to bed half an hour ago, so i'll just leave it at this for the moment, but seriously, the things i am thinking are making an okay amount of sense to me.

e2: Okay, i went to bed and then i got back up because this just hit me. The trolls talked with the Beta kids, and the trolls created the Beta universe. Jade taked to Jake; the Beta kids scratched their session, thus creating the Alpha universe.

So if we go by this thing that inter-universe communication often involves a creation link, what if the Alpha session succeeds, and ends up creating Caliborn/Caliope's universe. Which would mean that they themselves would ultimately be "responsible" for creating Lord English. Okay, now i REALLY gotta go to bed, but seriously, this poo poo is SPOOKY.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 15, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's what you'd call someone who was alive long before you were but is genetically speaking your child.

i.e. John is Jane's dancestor, Mindfang is Vriska's dancestor, etc.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Eventually someone's going to have a real bitch of a time trying to get Jane and Jake to understand that they're genetically the parents of the people they knew as grandparents. Roxy and Dirk probably won't be so much of a problem there, though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So I was thinking about how this whole chapter seems to be about moving on and growing up. Terezi has had a pretty neat development lately, which is losing her self esteem, doubting her own worth. When Aranea offered to restore her vision, she was still pretty confident in her skills, and said was better with her lack of vision. But since she seems to be doubting herself, what if she at some later point took Aranea's offer? Could it be that she's hiding her restored eyes under the suit's hood?
Maybe it's stretching it too much, but I feel that having her most notable feature (eyes) hidden could be used for something.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'd been wondering if perhaps she'd gotten her eyesight restored so she could see Dave, properly-like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A good poster posted:

Eventually someone's going to have a real bitch of a time trying to get Jane and Jake to understand that they're genetically the parents of the people they knew as grandparents. Roxy and Dirk probably won't be so much of a problem there, though.

Jade is good at dropping dramatic revelations like that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's what you'd call someone who was alive long before you were but is genetically speaking your child.

i.e. John is Jane's dancestor, Mindfang is Vriska's dancestor, etc.

Did Karkat specifically mention during ectobiology that he cloned the ancestors and mixed the troll kids?

I ask because we saw John clone B1 Mom/Bro/Nanna/Grandpa and ecto-mix the kids but only know of Karkat's through him talking about it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

KoB posted:

Did Karkat specifically mention during ectobiology that he cloned the ancestors and mixed the troll kids?

I ask because we saw John clone B1 Mom/Bro/Nanna/Grandpa and ecto-mix the kids but only know of Karkat's through him talking about it.

Fister was actually saying that Karkat cloned 'his' set of trolls, and mixed Meenah's, I think. (John is Jane's ecto-child, but in B2 he was her 'grandpa', so following his example Mindfang [Aranea] would be Vriska's ecto-child but was her 'ancestor').

This is actually a surprisingly large debate in the fandom! We also don't know if there was any genetic mixing for the trolls, whichever way it happened, or if there was, who was mixed to make who.

What we do know is that Karkat didn't believe in ancestors, and didn't recognize the [Meenah, Kankri, Latula, etc.] set of grubs, and had no idea their purpose. From that we might guess that he originally cloned himself and his friends, then made the other group, since if he had seen the A1 group [Meenah et all] on the screen in the past, then seen how they were genetically his group's parents he probably would have figured it out.

edit: this also fits more in line with the kid's example of which set of players plays pre- and post-scratch, although of course Karkat did the cloning post-Scratch so that's got some wrinkles.

Pattern being:
B1- Genetic ancestors are the elders, players are the genetic descendants. B2- genetic ancestors are the players, genetic descendants are the elders

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 16, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

edit: this also fits more in line with the kid's example of which set of players plays pre- and post-scratch, although of course Karkat did the cloning post-Scratch so that's got some wrinkles.

Yeah, this is why a year ago right before Act 6 started, I thought that post-scratch, the genetics would be reversed as well and B2-Jane would be B2-John's ecto-daughter, and B2-John would be a clone of himself. But that was firmly disproven by word of Huss. The fact that A2-Karkat and not A1-Kankri did the ectocloning really screws up the whole pattern.

And then there's Dad. Who even knows what that guy's deal is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, this is why a year ago right before Act 6 started, I thought that post-scratch, the genetics would be reversed as well and B2-Jane would be B2-John's ecto-daughter, and B2-John would be a clone of himself. But that was firmly disproven by word of Huss. The fact that A2-Karkat and not A1-Kankri did the ectocloning really screws up the whole pattern.

And then there's Dad. Who even knows what that guy's deal is.

Honestly, it really doesn't. Both universes had one ectobiology session and one group of meteors sent to their respective planets. In the Trollverse, Karkat did the ectobiology for both A1 and A2. In the Kidverse, John did the ectobiology for both B1 and B2. In both sessions, the meteors were effectively cloned and shifted around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No really, it does. One of the B1 players did the Universe B cloning, so it should have been one of the A1 trolls doing the Universe A cloning.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No really, it does. One of the B1 players did the Universe B cloning, so it should have been one of the A1 trolls doing the Universe A cloning.

Right, and the fact that it didn't happen that way was an anomaly and one of the reasons (or indications) that A1 was doomed to failure. We don't know why it happened that way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Doesn't have to be. Time in Homestuck is weird. That's all needs to be said. Time in Homestuck. Speaks for itself.

EDIT: Oh right, I guess it technically does from a standpoint of the game. I kinda missed the point there.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the specified qualities of a null session is that none of their players do any ectobiology.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quotetype posted:

One of the specified qualities of a null session is that none of their players do any ectobiology.

A null session is simply one that doesn't/can't produce a complete Genesis Frog. The significance of the lack of ectobiology in A1 is that the players had to scratch their session in order to create the universe in which they were created. Most ectobiology-free sessions are preceded by a scratched session in which the players were created, as is the case in universe B.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Quotetype posted:

No, a null session is one that doesn't result in 'success', ie. making a genesis frog. The B1 session was a null session, and it had ecto-biology.

A void session is one that has no pre-entry prototypings, like the B2. No mention is made of ecto-biology.

A1 was a null session, A2 was neither.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, and the fact that it didn't happen that way was an anomaly and one of the reasons (or indications) that A1 was doomed to failure. We don't know why it happened that way.

I thought it happened that way due to meddling, likely from Lord English, to ensure his own existence? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought I remember reading that Damara (Aradia's ancestor-player from A1) did something that screwed up their session because she was suborned by Lord English?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dolash posted:

I thought it happened that way due to meddling, likely from Lord English, to ensure his own existence?

Doc Scratch implied that Lord English caused that, but we still have no idea how he did it, or what limits his ability to meddle with universes and sessions.

KoB
May 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, it really doesn't. Both universes had one ectobiology session and one group of meteors sent to their respective planets. In the Trollverse, Karkat did the ectobiology for both A1 and A2. In the Kidverse, John did the ectobiology for both B1 and B2. In both sessions, the meteors were effectively cloned and shifted around.

Right. But we arent talking about that part. Our point is that we dont know who the troll ecto-parents are. You can't apply the pattern of "Pre-scratch players clone ancestors and create themselves" to the trolls since their ectobiology occured post-scratch, so they could have different circumstances.

Im just curious as to who the troll ecto-parents are (Karkat&co or Meenah&co).

e: vvvvv Just go the safe route and wear a record shirt and sunglasses.
e2: or just go grocery shopping as Mituna what the gently caress just dont do anything god drat

KoB fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 16, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, I have never cosplayed, and never really considered it.

But for the first time in a long while, I'm living in a neighborhood where kids trick or treat. And I'm considering answering the door and giving out candy while wearing troll horns or something. Just to see if any of the kids comment.

I've got a Selpulcritude shirt. I guess I could answer the door as Hussie in badly-applied troll cosplay. All I'd need is some all-white contacts.

Someone talk me out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Bobulus posted:

So, I have never cosplayed, and never really considered it.

But for the first time in a long while, I'm living in a neighborhood where kids trick or treat. And I'm considering answering the door and giving out candy while wearing troll horns or something. Just to see if any of the kids comment.

I've got a Selpulcritude shirt. I guess I could answer the door as Hussie in badly-applied troll cosplay. All I'd need is some all-white contacts.

Someone talk me out of this.

Can I talk you into it instead?