Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's a Ken doll crying over the loss of his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

New Roommania: Porori Seishun. I would love to see the rest of the train episode that Roommania was in, that game is the craziest poo poo I've ever seen. I love weird God-sims. And the train video games are so bizarrely enthralling, I almost want to import one for the PS3.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

What the balls is that?

New Roommania, the sequel to Roommania #203. I haven't played that one myself but if it's like the first then it's definitely weird.

Anonymous Guevara
Sep 12, 2009
This has PROBABLY been posted before, but on the off-chance that it hasn't...

So a friend who's big into Evangelion linked me this, going on about Asuka, but I couldn't help but notice that one of the guys in the jumpsuits looked strangely familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HTF0h4QAQ

I absolutely love how what starts as him leading a few people ends up with him leading a crowd, and the way he points to her when that older tourist is taking pictures and helpfully repeats "Asuka! Evangelion! Asuka! Evangelion!" is just absolutely hysterical. I just wish I knew what they were all saying. And that it didn't get a bit... weird at times. :gonk: Luckily, Arino tends to equal it out with just his usual hilarity.

Also, I can't help but be reminded of a certain screenshot...

Anonymous Guevara fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 15, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I want that track jacket.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah the other guy in the green jacket is the other half of Yoiko.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Which style: with "Arino" written on the back or with "Hamaguchi"?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Random Stranger posted:

New Roommania, the sequel to Roommania #203. I haven't played that one myself but if it's like the first then it's definitely weird.

Yeah I haven't played New Roommania either or ever really seen anything about it aside from the cover, but I'd imagine it's just more Roommania so I can only imagine it's just as great.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Mister Chief posted:

You can buy one here!

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Yay my DVDs finally arrived, but who the hell designed that sticker on the top of the box, it's drat near impossible to get off.

Amazon had packed the set fairly crappy, it was just shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard that was loose inside a box that could've fit 2 of them. Luckily my set was without damages, even though it had to fly over the Atlantic.

makere fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 15, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

makere posted:

Yay my DVDs finally arrived, but who the hell designed that sticker on the top of the box, it's drat near impossible to get off.

Amazon had packed by set fairly crappy, it was just shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard that was loose inside a box that could've fit 2 of them. Luckily my set was without damages, even though it had to fly over the Atlantic.

Hey, that's better than the packing job I got when I ordered it from Amazon - I just got a manilla envelope with the DVDs in it (which means one of the little case snaps is broken which annoys the hell out of me).

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The house ads on that page should be new placeholders for SA Forums visitors.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

rdbbb posted:

The house ads on that page should be new placeholders for SA Forums visitors.

I say that camouflaged text is really good: I can hardly make out what it is saying against the background.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So I was at Comic Con this weekend and look what I found at a DVD booth:

Looks like I'm on the CXTrain now too

RKTM
Jul 17, 2009

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

So I was at Comic Con this weekend and look what I found at a DVD booth:

Looks like I'm on the CXTrain now too

I picked up a copy there too, I'd been debating on whether to order it online since I don't usually buy dvds, but then I saw it at the booth there and figured it a sign, and picked it up instantly.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm actually surprised to see that they edited out the Star of David in the Solomon's Key episode. Even Nintendo, back in the 80s, let that one slide. I mean, I guess I can understand why someone would do that, but given Solomon's Key refers to, it's not completely inappropriate.

The only thing is I don't know if that's the master that Fuji handed to them since I never watched that episode when it was on Kotaku.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only thing is I don't know if that's the master that Fuji handed to them since I never watched that episode when it was on Kotaku.

I have those files, and indeed it came censored like that. The Star of David is still plastered all over the floors in Ninja Gaiden though.

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned the edit that had to be made on the DVD cover.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

zari-gani posted:

I have those files, and indeed it came censored like that. The Star of David is still plastered all over the floors in Ninja Gaiden though.

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned the edit that had to be made on the DVD cover.

Can you elaborate on this?

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

zari-gani posted:

The Famicom controller?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
It totally is the controller isn't it. I had noticed it before but I thought that might've been on the original art so I never mentioned it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

cronox2 posted:

It totally is the controller isn't it. I had noticed it before but I thought that might've been on the original art so I never mentioned it.

Yeeep, sadly had to be changed due to licensing issues.

ETA: vvv The game's opening screen. It's blurred out.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 16, 2012

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

Where did it appear pre-censoring? Was it just listed as one of the powerups, or...?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

Yeeep, sadly had to be changed due to licensing issues.

It's because we all flipped the covers to display your art! :v:

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
The Retro Game Master USA Facebook group just linked the Amazon best seller rankings for "TV Game shows".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959121011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

I went to the link and smiled.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

Ah! I didn't notice because the subtitles cover it. Interesting.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Shingen posted:

The Retro Game Master USA Facebook group just linked the Amazon best seller rankings for "TV Game shows".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959121011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

I saw that earlier and I'm really happy to see it do so well. :)

I'm also happy that it shares the top ten with three different Whose Line Is It Anyway? DVD sets. That's still one of the best comedy shows IMO... It's too bad that the attempts to revive the show under different names didn't last long and/or were on weird channels that hardly anyone watched like Game Show Network. :(
[/derail]

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shingen posted:

Wow, I didnt realize the damage we were doing. We knocked the Match Game all the way down to 9th, and thats a loving tragedy.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Match-Game-DVD-Collection/dp/B000J3EB8K/ref=zg_bs_2959121011_15

I hate owning physical media, but theres a used copy for just five dollars...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cultural question:

I really like the "Aces of Hardware Will not be Appearing" segments. I noticed that in each after Arino seals away the hardware underneath the floor, it's like he apologizes/consoles (pardon the pun) the unit.

Is this some aspect of culture, Shinto, is he being a goof, or some combination?

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Three-Phase posted:

Cultural question:

I really like the "Aces of Hardware Will not be Appearing" segments. I noticed that in each after Arino seals away the hardware underneath the floor, it's like he apologizes/consoles (pardon the pun) the unit.

Is this some aspect of culture, Shinto, is he being a goof, or some combination?

I thought it was more thanking the console for its (attempt at) hard work. Kind of like a hardware burial. But more along the lines of "retiring it to the attic". So probably a combination of the above.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I just watched the Shiren the Wanderer episode (or episodes since it was a two-parter) on the DVD, which was one I was really happy to see get translated since I watched the raw version a long time ago. Maybe it's the fact that I've played, but never beaten, a number roguelikes in the past few years (including the classic NetHack, the DS remake/port of Shiren, and it's Wii sequel) and know how brutal they get, but I still can't figure out why that's considered one of the worst episodes to Japanese fans unless they're just not that into roguelikes. :confused:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That Ghouls & Ghosts episode :aaaaa:

What a loving evil game. Seriously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I just watched the Shiren the Wanderer episode (or episodes since it was a two-parter) on the DVD, which was one I was really happy to see get translated since I watched the raw version a long time ago. Maybe it's the fact that I've played, but never beaten, a number roguelikes in the past few years (including the classic NetHack, the DS remake/port of Shiren, and it's Wii sequel) and know how brutal they get, but I still can't figure out why that's considered one of the worst episodes to Japanese fans unless they're just not that into roguelikes. :confused:

I think it's that Emoto does the hard work of building him up.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's that Emoto does the hard work of building him up.

This. Plus watching him be so bad at the game and seemingly not understand its system frustrated them. I've seen a couple fans say the episode isn't as bad if you've never played the game before. So to sum it up, the fact that he spends half the challenge being irritatingly awful at the game and the other half powering through until the end with a super sword that was handed to him makes it a bad/boring challenge in their eyes.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

zari-gani posted:

This. Plus watching him be so bad at the game and seemingly not understand its system frustrated them. I've seen a couple fans say the episode isn't as bad if you've never played the game before. So to sum it up, the fact that he spends half the challenge being irritatingly awful at the game and the other half powering through until the end with a super sword that was handed to him makes it a bad/boring challenge in their eyes.

I've never played Shiren, but I did notice that at least early on, he hadn't caught on to some of the basic tricks of roguelikes. In particular, he'd run up to monsters and they'd get in the first hit, when he could've hung back and waited for them to approach him.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

kimpira posted:

I've never played Shiren, but I did notice that at least early on, he hadn't caught on to some of the basic tricks of roguelikes. In particular, he'd run up to monsters and they'd get in the first hit, when he could've hung back and waited for them to approach him.

I was actually yelling at the screen at one point When he was trying to pick between the Postponement Staff and the Dragon Herb to kill an enemy at a point where he was at 1 HP, poisoned, and unable to use his mouth. Like I said above, I've never played Shiren, and I was still all USE THE drat STOREHOUSE JAR! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE ANYWAY!

I mostly liked the episode because it's fun to watch people's first experiences with roguelikes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Came across this via tumblr, seemed like the sort of thing other GCCX fans would be interested in: Japanese Video Game Flyer Collection

Be aware that Google Chrome's automatic translation breaks the menu at the top, so you'll have to turn it off to pick a different section. The Famicom section is the second from the left, and the various selections are different genres.

I like this artwork for the Ghostbusters game, as bad as the game is: http://gamedic.jpn.org/museum/tirasi/fc_act/img/fc00122.jpg

benjiman
Sep 2, 2011
I was in my Japanese History seminar today (you pick two other subjects apart from the language itself to study along side for year 1 - I chose history and politics)and I almost jumped out of my god drat seat when the teacher started talking about the 53 stations of the tokaido being set up. The only thing I heard for the rest of the seminar was the song in my head :(

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

This. Plus watching him be so bad at the game and seemingly not understand its system frustrated them. I've seen a couple fans say the episode isn't as bad if you've never played the game before.
It's a million times this. I've played a lot of Shiren, and a big part of it is spending days dying in order to best understand how to handle situations and how items work. Once you've gained that understanding, it's all about building up your stocks and developing a game plan to make to the top of the Table Mountain dungeon, kind of like preparing to scale an actual mountain. Emoto building up some nice swords and items for Arino just takes out the most appealing thing about Shiren to someone who has played it before, that sense of slow progress toward the goal. Watching Arino waste all these items because he doesn't understand how they work is just doubly painful to watch.

Rather than a challenge, it would've been better suited for a season long segment (complete with death totals :unsmigghh:)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I just watched one of the quiz episodes I skipped- the Sengoku period one- and it was great. Toujima's mastery of America TRANSPORT and Arino handing out treats to Abe and the other AD was so funny. Great episode. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I can see your guys' points about why the Shiren episode is considered bad. I guess I enjoyed it because I actually learned stuff about the game that I never knew before (like the melding pot) and I think it's kinda fun to watch someone who doesn't know much about roguelikes try to play one. Plus, I still love the part after Arino dies the first time he gets to the final boss and one of the staff members screams like he got shot or stabbed.