Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I always thought the calls for a new Kid Icarus game were greatly embellished, but Mach Rider?

What? You don't want to dodge puddles and shoot barrels in glorious HD?

But really, I could see Nintendo turning it into something that targets that "hardcore" crowd they claim to be courting with the Wii U. It already has a post-apocalyptic setting, and they could make it an open world shooter/racer type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That was the exact rumour from a year or so back - Retro was supposed to be working on an open-world, post-apocalyptic Mach Rider reboot. Then again, I think that rumour was spread by the same guy that was hyping up a Star Fox/Metroid crossover game for this year's E3.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
The baby Andross! :supaburn:

Mach Rider would be an awesome replacement for a character for Darksiders. :v:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo always develops these neat little games that get forgotten and the NES had more than any other generation due to the fact they were trying to make games for their first console.

R&D1 had tons of niché titles on the NES like Gumshoe, Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, Clu Clu Land, Devil World, Balloon Fight and Urban Champion (not to forget Metroid, Kid Icarus and Duck hunt). For the SNES you had Battle Clash, GameBoy you had Solar Striker, Arcades had Sheriff. There's a ton of titles to work from that could be made into some great reboot franchises. Of course, looking at the titles it's easy to see that a lot of these are time killers and that's why they do Wario Ware games now.

I guess what I really want is a big cartoony update to Pro Wrestling where you're following the new generation and the Amazon is the Commissioner with you playing as the son of Starman. I'm weird.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wrecking Crew and Balloon Fight both got sequels (and Balloon Fight is getting another one in Nintendo Land) and those Donkey Kong climber games for GBA/DS are basically Clu Clu Land games.

I don't know that it's even possible to salvage a decent game out of Urban Champion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Recent wacky rumors from skimming NeoGAF's Wii U thread:
Someone cryptically hinting at RE6 and Capcom exclusives or RE6 w/exclusives depending on how you read it, "RE6 Capcom exclusives barring changes". He hasn't been an obvious bullshitter in the past and seemed level headed, so who knows with that one (particularly since it sounds reasonably in line with how Capcom does things anyway).

And someone on LinkedIn apparently leaked something, the profile is edited now I guess, but according to that thread it used to say: "Working for Straight Right on a short term contract, porting a triple-A Square Enix game to the yet-to-be-released Wii U platform." This has a bit more to it since Straight Right's CEO has mentioned working on other stuff before:

quote:

Eurogamer - Sept 7
"We've made a number of bets on the Wii U, so we're certainly hoping that the platform comes strongly out of the gate. We've got two other titles in development.
"One of them is original, our own IP, and another is based on another big franchise that will come out in 2013. It's a big title and you will have heard of it," he teased.
And just published today:

quote:

So many secrets, each more secret than the next. Yeah look we do have a couple more games in development on Wii U, one of which will be announced shortly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Square-Enix game is almost definitely Tomb Raider.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wish there were some parallel universe where Rare just handed their IPs back to Nintendo and we could get really amazing revivals of Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Kazooie.

Instead their IPs will be left to die. God damnit.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Jet Force Gemini

Yes. This really needs a sequel/rerelease, it's such a great game.

And I wish Square-Enix would make a new Chrono Trigger game for Wii U.

I still get upset when I think about this quote related to the Chrono series:

Wikipedia posted:

At E3 2009, SE Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto remarked, "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

I've bought Chrono Trigger 3 friggin' times, Shinji Hashimoto. :mad:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

thexerox123 posted:

I've bought Chrono Trigger 3 friggin' times, Shinji Hashimoto. :mad:

Did you buy Chrono Cross three times? :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Did you buy Chrono Cross three times? :v:

Just the once, but I actually loved that game and would gladly buy it again if it were available on WiiWare or DS or whatever. :( Especially since I loaned my PS version away years ago.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

And I wish Square-Enix would make a new Chrono Trigger game for Wii U.

Did you play the extra content on Chrono Trigger DS?

I do not want Square Enix to attempt another Chrono game ever again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Did you play the extra content on Chrono Trigger DS?

I do not want Square Enix to attempt another Chrono game ever again.

I did, ugh. TRAVEL UP AND DOWN REPETITIVE MOUNTAIN :v:

At least the new equipment was great, you can have Robo doing some serious crit damage.

I don't know if it made up for the fact that they changed 99% of Frog's dialogue, though. Such a strange decision.

It's especially maddening, since they shut down that 3D fan-made remake of Chrono Trigger, so that they could protect the franchise that they're doing next to nothing with in lieu of endless Final Fantasy games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

It's especially maddening, since they shut down that 3D fan-made remake of Chrono Trigger, so that they could protect the franchise that they're doing next to nothing with in lieu of endless Final Fantasy games.

I still have the music from that.

Matthew Valente's version of Corridors of Time is probably my favourite song period.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I preordered mine a few weeks ago (deluxe) when I heard about the US ones selling fast. Still haven't decided what I'm going to get with it though. I do want ZombiU, but not while it's my only game (limited budget, careful spending, etc) if it's only going to be about 10 hours long. I'm thinking maybe NSMB or Lego City. Just wish Rayman Legends hadn't been pushed to 2013 - I loved Origins.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Check out the Sonic racing thread if you like cart racers. It has a lot of promise, online multiplayer, and they just posted a 25 minute gameplay video.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Has there been any concrete information on how well the Wii U pre-order is going, beyond guesstimating? I have this fear that the launch is going to be weak and really hurt Nintendo.

The Square-Enix game is almost definitely Tomb Raider.

The developer of Tomb Raider previously said that it'll be a while for a Wii U version, because they want to make major changes to the gameplay for it to fit the system. It won't be a simple port, and it sounded like they wanted to do it themselves.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Gamestops in the USA aren't taking any more pre-orders (which happened fairly rapidly after pre-orders were open) which means their managers think that they're going to sell all the stock they get. Nintendo wouldn't be planning on having a poo poo launch whilst simultaneously selling out.

By the sounds of it, you can still pre-order in Europe but I don't think the pre-order culture is as big over here and it will vary from country to country. I was in Spain when the Wii launched and could have easily bought a few whilst in the UK a lot of places were sold out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well preorders are basically sold out everywhere. It will be sold out everywhere for months. Even the PS3 with no games at $600 was sold out everywhere at launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Check out the Sonic racing thread if you like cart racers. It has a lot of promise, online multiplayer, and they just posted a 25 minute gameplay video.

I wasn't aware there was a WiiU version of Sonic Racing Transformed, nor that it was a launch title. I might get this eventually, but not as my first WiiU game as I'm not that big a fan of racing games.

Revol posted:

Has there been any concrete information on how well the Wii U pre-order is going, beyond guesstimating? I have this fear that the launch is going to be weak and really hurt Nintendo.

The developer of Tomb Raider previously said that it'll be a while for a Wii U version, because they want to make major changes to the gameplay for it to fit the system. It won't be a simple port, and it sounded like they wanted to do it themselves.

The listed release date was in 2013, so it's actually still a solid bet on it being Tomb Raider.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shelf Adventure posted:

Gamestops in the USA aren't taking any more pre-orders (which happened fairly rapidly after pre-orders were open) which means their managers think that they're going to sell all the stock they get. Nintendo wouldn't be planning on having a poo poo launch whilst simultaneously selling out.

When I bought my 3DS, the Gamestop clerk explained how Nintendo is notorious for short-changing Gamestop on stock of big launches.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
They still wouldn't understock to the point where the launch is a failure. If they sell every unit they send out, which is what the pre-orders imply in the US, they can't really have a better launch unit wise without producing more and they wouldn't be planning to have a failed launch by not producing enough units.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Revol posted:

When I bought my 3DS, the Gamestop clerk explained how Nintendo is notorious for short-changing Gamestop on stock of big launches.

It's not just gamestop that is sold out... currently your only option is to brave the inevitable cluster gently caress that will be walmarts layaway.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 15, 2012

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm just hoping that it won't be a pain in the rear end to find a WiiU when Monster hunter comes out. :ohdear:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shelf Adventure posted:

They still wouldn't understock to the point where the launch is a failure. If they sell every unit they send out, which is what the pre-orders imply in the US, they can't really have a better launch unit wise without producing more and they wouldn't be planning to have a failed launch by not producing enough units.

The assumption I was getting was that Gamestop wasn't getting quite as much stock as it would want, and it was instead going to other locations.

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus

Revol posted:

The assumption I was getting was that Gamestop wasn't getting quite as much stock as it would want, and it was instead going to other locations.

My guess is that the gamestop employee you spoke to about this was guesstimating.

Slickdeals Wii U Pre-Order Thread:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5189788-The-unOfficial-Nintendo-Wii-U-Pre-Order-Thread

The wiki on that link has an ongoing list of all wii u retailers and the current status of pre-order availability. For the time being, every single place is sold out.

StepDadJeff fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 15, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

Well preorders are basically sold out everywhere. It will be sold out everywhere for months. Even the PS3 with no games at $600 was sold out everywhere at launch.

The PS3 sold out everywhere for about two days and then sat on shelves for the rest of the holiday season. Anyone remember the Sony executive who said he would give people $1500 if they could find a PS3 on shelves in early December and everyone joking about how they could now be millionaires?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So the Scribblenauts devs put up this teaser image:

...and someone thinks they've got it figured out:

The Japanese version of Super Scribblenauts was published by Konami and featured a bunch of Konami characters, so it's not unfeasible, I guess.

Revol posted:

Warren Spector also said it'd be literally impossible for them to make a Wii U version of Epic Mickey 2, and now it's a launch title.

Tomb Raider was already listed as a Wii U game in a magazine or two, and I'm pretty sure it's a UE3 game, hence why it seems like the likely pick.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Tomb Raider was already listed as a Wii U game in a magazine or two, and I'm pretty sure it's a UE3 game, hence why it seems like the likely pick.

It's not UE3, it's Crystal D's proprietary Crystal Engine, though I don't doubt a Wii U version of the game is coming since they'll have to adapt the Crystal Engine to the system anyway going forward. Might as well make a game while learning the ins and outs to offset initial R&D.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J posted:

I'm just hoping that it won't be a pain in the rear end to find a WiiU when Monster hunter comes out. :ohdear:

Yeah I'd order a Wii U ASAP after the holidays, sales will skyrocket with the release of that game I think.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wish there were some parallel universe where Rare just handed their IPs back to Nintendo and we could get really amazing revivals of Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Kazooie.

I want a new Blast Corps :argh:
I like that they're all cartoony characters, then bam, (relatively) realistic Epona's head. Kind of reminds me of the Godfather.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

japtor posted:

I like that they're all cartoony characters, then bam, (relatively) realistic Epona's head. Kind of reminds me of the Godfather.

Yeah, the right side looks more like Bowser & co to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

In a good and just world, Banjo-Threeie would be a WiiU game.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah I'd order a Wii U ASAP after the holidays, sales will skyrocket with the release of that game I think.

I'd order it now. Given the Wii drought after it came out, you might not get another chance until February.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In a good and just world, Banjo-Threeie would be a WiiU game.

It would exist in the first place, you mean.

quote:

I'd order it now. Given the Wii drought after it came out, you might not get another chance until February.

That's true.

Have a canadian friend that's saying it's not really a big deal up there and he's not hearing about it going out of stock. Is he dumb as hell or is Canada just not crazy about pre-ordering?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Have a canadian friend that's saying it's not really a big deal up there and he's not hearing about it going out of stock. Is he dumb as hell or is Canada just not crazy about pre-ordering?

No he's right. The Black model has sold out at most stores but the White model seems to have plenty in stock. I ordered mine a good five days after you were able to pre-order and I was just the second person to get a White model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No he's right. The Black model has sold out at most stores but the White model seems to have plenty in stock. I ordered mine a good five days after you were able to pre-order and I was just the second person to get a White model.

I'd say it's because people don't want a repeat of the 'arcade' xbox 360's.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Bobnumerotres posted:

It really depends on the region. I live in a really backwater town in Canada. I was curious so I checked at the local Walmart just a few days ago and they still have both models readily available for pre-order. It's great, but I just don't have the funds to buy one this year. They'll most definitely be out by the end of October though once they start promoting it for Christmas or something. :(

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
What's the main reason people are getting the Deluxe or Premium model? Nintendo Land or download discounts?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Only baby consoles are white. Are you a baby, AngryCaterpillar? :colbert:

I'll get it since Nintendo Land sounds more interesting everytime I hear more about it, will likely be getting a lot of stuff digitally, and the higher onboard memory's just a little bit of gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What's the main reason people are getting the Deluxe or Premium model? Nintendo Land or download discounts?

The specs are in the OP. Essentially, it's a bigger hard drive (32GB instead of 8), A charging stand for the game pad, Nintendo Land tossed in, and you get a membership discount of 10% off of ALL eShop purchases.

• Locked thread