Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

The hottest fins on an air-cooled engine get up to what, 500 degrees? If the bike is running decently in 90 degree weather, I don't think an extra 20 is going to make a whole lot of difference to cooling system efficacy. Maybe on the racetrack, but not commuting.
500 is more like exhaust pipe temp. The running coolant temp of a happy water cooled engine is like 170-200. Air cooled won't be too far off from that, but will fluctuate more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's a fairly recent recall out on the 2006-09 Street Triple / Daytona 675 R/R. If you think you might be able to take advantage of it or at least get some cash for your old dead reg you might want to look into it.

In other news today I put about 5 pounds of winter air in both my tires. I hate winter.

I have my old r/r from my wrecked 07, wonder if I can get something for it. I think it works though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sold it...sold my 1998 KDX200 after many miles, crashes, injuries and fun. May be headed to look at a bike tomorrow which will be bought only to trade for a fun track toy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Schlieren posted:

I don't even think that's possible on an air-cooled bike, is it?

It's literally a pain. I came out of Sturgis this summer with a first degree burn on my right thigh from the Buell, which doesn't cool itself properly below 50mph/3krpm.

Mechanically, it did fine. But I was an afterthought for sure.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Today, I gave a bike hope. I brought it home.

It's a 2001 SV650s that was a short-lived track toy, then a failed streetfighter project, then a legitimate daily driver. The guy I bought it from was the daily-er, but during his ownership, had a 4th kid with his wife, so the bike took was given the back-burner treatment for about a year.

All the important bits are there, but it's going to need a decent going over. At the very least, I need to:
- clean the carbs
- do all the fluids
- new brake pads, battery, chain, sprockets, spark plugs, possibly tires, and a wiring harness if I'm too lazy to fix a couple bodge-jobs on there now

As for the non-essentials, it needs:
- a subframe
- headlight and associated gauge to make it a naked, but I'll keep the clipons
- fairings and a paintjob if I feel like it

It's going to be a track bike after I get it running, and then I'll slowly rebuild it at my leisure until it's streetable, at which point I'll sell my Ninjette.

It has a title. I got it for $200 :whatup:

I got it back kind of late tonight, so all I did was dremel off the old chain and dive into the carbs, but I figure I'll be able to crank it in a few days.

You'll be back on the road in no time buddy :unsmith:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 10, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I suppose that's a pretty decent deal :v:

Want to buy some SV parts?!?!?! (I'm thinking about selling mine (shocker))

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Please yes, the last thing I want to deal with is eBay. PM me with what you have if (when) you do end up selling out.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Replaced the battery with a Motobatt battery, I think the RR might've cooked the battery since 2 days in a row I had to chuck it on a charger before the bike would start. weird part is that the bike started for me every morning this week,

Anyway, after replacing the battery I did notice that the old one was a bit warped, it looks like it's been sucked in on both sides

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Finally got my new back tyre fitted yesterday and wrestled the wheel back into place before breakfast. Celebrated by enraging cagists on the way to work.

Old BT016 mysteriously deflated with no sign of an entry or exit wound - suspect a bad valve. My LBS fitted some sort of big gently caress-off monster valve, it's like the Seattle tower. No really, I think it's a Skymall product. It probably makes toast as well as retaining air.

The 016 must be a very light tyre, because it wasn't even down to cords and I swear it was only a couple of mm thick in the centre. Impressive or worrying, depending on how you see these things.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Replaced the handlebars on the Buell (PO bent them). Spent hours fiddling around with the throttle somehow sticking, only to discover that my throttle return cable is super frayed which either wasn't an issue with the housing having been set up just so previously, or maybe I just made it worse when taking it off/putting it back on. No idea how something like that breaks in just 8k miles.

At least maybe this means my slow return to idle wasn't due to the intake manifold rubbers, we'll see.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
well I didn't wreck it.. but I almost did.

The CB125's brake stay bolt sheared off when I hit the back brake.

The brake rod wrapped itself around the rear axle a couple times.
The centerstand pin which is also the brake pedal mount is bent all to hell and the brake pedal is sticking out at a 45 degree angle.

I'm hoping that's the extent of the damage though... I haven't pulled the drum off to see if the shoes are hosed up or a spring snapped or something.

Kinda scary when you're going around a curve at 2/3 the bike's max speed (40mph)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Ordered all the replacement parts after my crash. I will say that Aprilia actually prices their parts pretty well. The foot peg assembly I ordered was 20$ cheaper than on my SV650, the tail plastic I needed was 50$ and so on. Pretty happy all up.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
A new throttle push cable for the Buell is gonna be $100, well it's $50 if I order it in the US but then there's shipping. I think I'm going to try and replace just the inner cable first.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

High Protein posted:

A new throttle push cable for the Buell is gonna be $100, well it's $50 if I order it in the US but then there's shipping. I think I'm going to try and replace just the inner cable first.

It might just have gotten some dirt down in it. They make throttle cable cleaner and lube. We had that problem once with my honda.

VVV lovely.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 15, 2012

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It might just have gotten some dirt down in it. They make throttle cable cleaner and lube. We had that problem once with my honda.

It's completely frayed, unfortunately.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Spent the weekend wiring and fiddling with my new battery and electrics project. I got everything together and routed, but I probably will redo this based on some lessons learned along the way.

Here are some pics:

First a couple "before" shots of the old battery box and electrics.

The bikes stock wiring had One Fuse To Rule Them All. I wired in that fuse block ($10 from O'Reilly) to convert to Suzuki's 1 + 3 fuse system for later bikes. Otherwise, my coil relay is the only real mod to the wiring.

The new set up swaps in a Shorai (could not resist the sexy, sexy lithium) battery and an FH014 R/R from a 2008 CBR which will be .

Here is that battery next to the old one.

I went back-and-forth from several earlier tray designs, trying to tuck the battery into the front tray. All options there, however left me with either a rear wheel clearance issue behind the box, or more of a visible box than I want.

The new set up eliminated the old wooden platform I had before. That piece did 2 things (a) level my seat on the frame using the hinges (which sit about 3/8" above the frame tubes; and (b) provided a platform to mount my tail-light signals and plate.

I kept a piece of the old board in the center for leveling, but in the next iteration, spacers on the bottom of the seat are a better way to do this.

For the tail light, I fabbed up an extension from some aluminum angle bar, riveted that to the back half of the pan and bolted it (and the pan) to the old fender mount holes.

I drilled some holes to ventilate that battery box. Then I re-routed the wires to the new location and drilled more holes, installed grommets and snaked the wires into place. Where the pan or tray have flat edges near the wiring, I covered them with some black press-on auto panel trim. Here's what turned out:

This is functional and close to what I want. So, I'll use it for now, while I work up a cleaner new version.

The next iteration will benefit from lessons on this one, especially with respect to routing the wires and drilling holes. A number of these could have been placed better had I followed a different sequence.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Reassembled my Ducati for the first time. It's been looking like this since about 2 owners ago when someone totalled it:

Until today after I got the parts back from a painter and put them back on:

The paint still has some issues that will hopefully be resolved this winter with some more clearcoats. And the bodywork has more issues due to what looks like a bent radiator (???) causing the panels to not line up with each other under the engine. Not sure what I'll be able to do about that. Also needs a wash and a new left muffler that's in the mail curently.

Anyway, as when you launch ships you have to hit them with a champagne bottle, when you inaugurate Ducatis you have to go here:

Jesus christ those coffees are expensive.

But then while I was riding for a few hours I stopped and noticed something was a bit funny. Did you see it in the second photo? I didn't notice it until about 45 minutes after that photo:

Amazingly enough, the axle, despite being entirely out of the right side adjusting block, was still in the swingarm slot. So my drivetrain didn't explode. So I rode the 70 miles back home, looking under my right knee to see where the axle was, and stopping every 30 minutes to kick the axle back in from the left side. No biggie. But now I'll have to wait 4 months to get the parts from Italy.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That is a real nice bike!

You drove home with that axle? :psyduck: I would've called some friends with a van.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Amazingly enough, the axle, despite being entirely out of the right side adjusting block, was still in the swingarm slot. So my drivetrain didn't explode. So I rode the 70 miles back home, looking under my right knee to see where the axle was, and stopping every 30 minutes to kick the axle back in from the left side. No biggie. But now I'll have to wait 4 months to get the parts from Italy.

That is insane. 70 miles with no axle nut?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fuuuuuuuck! I would have been making GBS threads myself so hard. Nice bike anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stare: Brb, making sure my axle nut is tight and secure.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
That makes me want to safety wire everything on my bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

xd posted:

That makes me want to safety wire everything on my bike.

As a Buell owner, safety wire (we call it Harley wire) is part of my everyday toolkit.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

As a Buell owner, safety wire (we call it Harley wire) is part of my everyday toolkit.

You don't use the red safety wire in a plastic bottle?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't have even noticed my axle was hanging out, thank god for cotter pins!

Still, it's a beautiful bike!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I went to a buddies place to take off and remount my rear tire so I can clean all the grass and dirt out of it after crashing. He has a no-mar tire changing machine, its pretty slick and surprisingly easy to do. Except for balancing. That is some weird voodoo magic.

RandyWest
Sep 2, 2011
Changed the exhaust on my Honda.
I removed the db killers but came to a conclusion that the bike was a bit too loud and decided to put them back.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Speaking of loud look at that logo.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Went back and re-did the battery box and electrics tray for a bit of a cleaner look:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chain and sprockets, almost.

JT front, supersprox rear. DID x-ring chain. My harbor freight chain tool can't push the pins through the plate before I try to set the rivets, so I'm stuck until I get something higher quality.

I took a picture of what came off. I knew it was in stupidly bad shape, and rode it 800 miles before parts showed up.

Points to note: rollers broken off, broken teeth on rear sprocket, horribly hooked front sprocket. I found a couple of rollers in the sprocket cover when I took that off. It sounded really, really, really bad the last few hundred miles.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Chain and sprockets, almost.

JT front, supersprox rear. DID x-ring chain. My harbor freight chain tool can't push the pins through the plate before I try to set the rivets, so I'm stuck until I get something higher quality.

I took a picture of what came off. I knew it was in stupidly bad shape, and rode it 800 miles before parts showed up.

Points to note: rollers broken off, broken teeth on rear sprocket, horribly hooked front sprocket. I found a couple of rollers in the sprocket cover when I took that off. It sounded really, really, really bad the last few hundred miles.

I used vice grips to get the pins through the plate the first time I did a chain. After that I got the Motion Pro chain tool which works well if you're careful. I've broken the breaker pin and rivet pins though. I think the HF tool is pretty much just for breaking.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I used vice grips to get the pins through the plate the first time I did a chain. After that I got the Motion Pro chain tool which works well if you're careful. I've broken the breaker pin and rivet pins though. I think the HF tool is pretty much just for breaking.

I've got vice grips; I'll give that a shot.

I have a hardened steel punch I ground to profile to rivet the pins. I load that in the HF tool and it worked pretty well to rivet. I use the standard pin to break the chain.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I ground the head of the old rivet with a cutoff wheel/dremel before pressing out the old link. I went slow and covered up the surrounding area from metal shavings, made it a lot easier even on a small cam chain. I've read that some of the companies require you to grind the head on larger chains (530?).

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Sold my beat-to-hell '88 Hawk GT last week. This weekend I bought my new ride!

Today begins the mild wrenching. Previous owner apparently didn't know how to turn a singular bolt, the controls and gear shifter are in horrific positions, comfort and rideability wise, so they're both getting adjusted the moment I get home from work. Woo. Also pulling the battery from my buddy's '89 Hawk because it keeps completely draining trying to start in the chilly weather with no choke cable...

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Traitor.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hawk GTs came out when I was in high school, and were the most awesomest bikes ever...now they're just old beaters that need to be phased out. *snif*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man, I want to get a Hawk GT someday, when I have the room for a second bike. They look super cool.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bucephalus posted:

Hawk GTs came out when I was in high school, and were the most awesomest bikes ever...now they're just old beaters that need to be phased out. *snif*

but but but you could invest $10k and have a bike that's somewhat competitive in vintage classes!!!!!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Mine was mildly hosed in a lot of ways. I bought it for $900, sold it for $700 when I found the front sprocket was welded to the countershaft. :v: Just don't have the space or money to work on it right now.

When I've got a garage or a spare room or something in the future, hopefully in my next place, I'd like to build a street fightered Hawk from the frame up with one of Hordpower's 700cc engines.
:rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Haha, I had a feeling you were that guy. Guess you didn't need my cowl after all. :v: