Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Captain Foxy posted:

Go look at the 'puppy breath' thread. Guess someone got their panties in a bunch :allears:

SIG HEIL PUPPIES SIG HEIL

That bulldog puppy picture is adorable at least. The thing on its leg looks more like a bandage than an armband though. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I broke its loving leg because it wasn't cute enough and it's a genetic abonimation

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I can't decide if I like the undecided ears or the teeny eyebrow dots more :3: I'm really glad it's not me raising a herder puppy again though.
Yeah, he is Really loving Annoying and his cuteness is pretty much his only saving grace for now. And the fact he already has an amazing recall and he's actually genuinely interested in following me around. A refreshing change after raising two Lapponians, who would for example randomly decide they wanted out of the rain and head home on their own at the tender age of 7 weeks. I've had countless "gently caress I lost my puppy" moments in the past few weeks, where I frantically scan the horizon for Sukka and run around like an idiot looking for him while he's following me and trying not to get stepped on.

I'm very much hoping Sukka's ears will eventually decide on staying up. That way he'd fit in with the Lapponians better and also prick ears are best :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Dr. Chaco posted:

The bottleneck idea is an interesting point--I was just reading about polycystic kidney disease in Persian and other related cats, which is a dominant trait. You would think that would make it easy to breed out--just don't use cats that are affected in breeding programs. But, if almost 40% of Persians are affected, you just created a huge bottleneck and other undesirable traits are bound to pop up more frequently than before. So, yes, health testing is important, but you're right that it shouldn't be a black and white matter in a lot of cases.

I've heard that argument in Arabian horses, who can pass on SCID which kills foals who get it from both parents. At first I dismissed it as an excuse to keep breeding horses who were making people money but were SCID carriers (it's recessive so if the horse gets it from one parent they'll live but be a carrier, but you breed two SCID carriers together and you might end up with a dead foal, if I remember right), but then when I actually started learning more about breeding them I realized that at that time anyway it was true. I knew a lot of responsible breeders who would breed a SCID carrier but only to horses who had been tested and were clear, with a long-term plan towards breeding out the disease but not killing bloodlines in the process.

But on the other hand I definitely met some irresponsible breeders who used the bottleneck excuse to justify not even considering SCID when pairing horses.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Rixatrix posted:

I'm very much hoping Sukka's ears will eventually decide on staying up. That way he'd fit in with the Lapponians better and also prick ears are best :3:

This is a lie. Ears that change from upright to floppy when a pup is tired are best :colbert:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Eva at her first compitition.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SuperTwo posted:

Eva at her first compitition.

I DID IT :buddy:

She looks like she had the best time. Though a couple of those pictures are terrifyingly shark-like.

I tried to take some pictures of Kaydee all freshly dyed and stuff.

Stop it.

E: Eh, I've already got'em uploaded.

What?

After that picture she leapt up and dove head first into a wall so who knows.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 15, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looks like she enjoyed herself. :3:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
In this picture, Zoso airs his business in the afternoon light.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

All dogs are Puppy at heart. I also will call anything Bud if it seems friendly.
Dogs, children, and the mentally disabled (literally or figuratively) all get called "Buddy" by me, my grandpa did it, my dad did it, and now I can't stop. :ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WolfensteinBag posted:

It sounded like this issue in particular is up for legislation wherever the author lives. You know, "More than 1 unaltered bitch, it's A PUPPY MILL!!!" sort of thing. :rolleyes:

I think the Author is in Texas, where a recent law went into effect requiring commercial licensing if you have 11 or more intact cats or dogs and/or sell a certain number of animals in a year. The law is far from perfect but quite frankly it is miraculous that such a law got passed at all given the "how dare the government tell me what to do" attitude common in the state.

If I remember right there was very briefly at one point some talk about having more finely divided classes because (as is standard for such things) the lobbyists for the massive puppy mills went out and found (or made up) the most sympathetic tear-jerking cases they could which would just barely fall under the new rules. I think one of the ideas kicked around was even to include a category for someone with more than one intact dog who also sells puppies, but with little requirements beyond than having to file a license application.

However all that could be untrue and it is entirely possible such an idea was never proposed in earnest at all but instead was the product of a slippery-slope "Your breeding rights will be next! Call your TX Rep!" campaign. Texas politics are frequently like that.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Captain Foxy posted:

I broke its loving leg because it wasn't cute enough and it's a genetic abonimation

Oh, you already bought a new avatar. Well ok then nevermind

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

That is loving magnificent.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aw I missed Captain Foxy's fancy new title/av too. :saddowns:

So I was thinking today at work, "if I had to keep any one of these dogs in daycare, who would it be?" Solely considering personality, I decided it would be one of the three red cattledog mixes, in a heartbeat. I must hate myself. They are all such good dogs though. :saddowns: I would also consider this black and tan pit we have. He's kind of a butt with other dogs but he is a Very Good Dog with people. :3:

Daycare has made me decide I will never own Goldens though. ALL of the Goldens I've had (except one because she's old and just wants to sleep mostly) are way too demanding of affection and they loving love to bark, especially in other dogs' faces while they play. I will also never own Boxers simply because they're like caffeinated stupidity on four legs.

We have this Airedale Terrier who, despite there being 6 tennis balls, she will pick out ONE specific ball and bring it to me to play fetch. She will not play with ANY of the other balls. If I toss her one of the other balls, she immediately spits it out. It's interesting.

I will also never own poodles or mixes thereof because holy loving goddamn Jesus burrs are a bitch and a half to get out of those coats, especially the beard and tail.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I am so glad Bailey is easy to pill- the vet recommended some benedryl for his itchiness (and it's been helping). I've been dreading doing it because Bailey can be such a sensitive soul (WHY DID YOU SPRAY ME WITH SOOTHING SPRAY I HATE YOU) but apparently so long as I wrap it in cheese he doesn't give a poo poo and will actively come and pester me if I move pills/ pill wrappers around.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you.

When Terra was on steroids and antibiotics I'd cut her little chunks of chicken, then put a pill inside the slice.

The first time the pill fell out, I just put it in my hand and handed it to her and she was like "what? more food? fantastic!" and ate it right up. I've never been so relieved in my life.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HookShot posted:

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you.

When Terra was on steroids and antibiotics I'd cut her little chunks of chicken, then put a pill inside the slice.

The first time the pill fell out, I just put it in my hand and handed it to her and she was like "what? more food? fantastic!" and ate it right up. I've never been so relieved in my life.

As someone with a dog who has needed at least 2 pills a day for the last year and a half I am so grateful to have a dog that doesn't question treats at all. I used pill pockets for a long time but eventually I felt I should have stock in the company and got sick of buying them. Now I mix peanut butter and rice flour into a dough and use that. Works just as well and is way cheaper/less full of crap. Major knows he gets ~special treats~ in the morning and will sit on my couch drooling until I give him his pills.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

As someone with a dog who has needed at least 2 pills a day for the last year and a half I am so grateful to have a dog that doesn't question treats at all. I used pill pockets for a long time but eventually I felt I should have stock in the company and got sick of buying them. Now I mix peanut butter and rice flour into a dough and use that. Works just as well and is way cheaper/less full of crap. Major knows he gets ~special treats~ in the morning and will sit on my couch drooling until I give him his pills.

For all the devious intelligence our dogs have, we could do some much to them in exchange for a tasty morsel and they're completely okay with it and unsuspecting.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
It's not a done deal for several reasons yet, but I think I might be moving into a bigger place on incredibly short notice because my husband is a crazy cat lady. We've been choking on our own stuff in our one bedroom apartment anyway, so it's not like we haven't thought about it for other reasons... But it's my refusal to adopt a 5th cat without getting a bigger place that brought this on. Darn you, crazy cat husband. You just want more kitties because you're not the one who has to feed them and clean up after them! :colbert: Good thing I'm crazy too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

vv I know someone who had a ewe that twinned a black and a white lamb and she would only feed the black one. They had to put a black coat on the white one so it could nurse. Sheep are really dumb. vvv
That's actually a really old method, although in the old days it was generally along the lines of "skin a dead/stillborn lamb, tie the skin onto the one that's being ignored, mother too dumb to know the difference."

And yes, sheep are dumb as gently caress, I am happy to confirm after growing up with a flock of a couple dozen.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

wtftastic posted:

For all the devious intelligence our dogs have, we could do some much to them in exchange for a tasty morsel and they're completely okay with it and unsuspecting.

Psyche acts suspicious of her pill-in-peanut-butter (I'm lazy and just push it into the peanut butter without hiding it) and sometimes tries to avoid it if she's not hungry. If I hold it close enough to her nose, though, her instinctive dog-to-peanut-butter magnetism kicks in and she gets this look on her face like she's disgusted with herself as she gobbles it up...

But really, she can quit peanut butter anytime she wants, guys.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Captain Foxy posted:

That is loving magnificent.

I'm gonna draw something special just for you today. :3:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I have a friend who gives her dog treats by tossing them and having the dog catch them. When the dog needs pills, all she has to do is throw them and the dog has no idea of the difference until she's already eaten them. :downs:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

I'm gonna draw something special just for you today. :3:

You tease

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

So, you guys up for some sleuthing? We had a SUPER CUTE GSD puppy come into my work last week. Knowing ALL about the breeders in the area, and curious to where the pup came from, I was devastated to learn it came from one of the local puppy stores. :argh: So, the baby and I stopped by said puppy store today. :ssh: He got to laugh at all the super cute puppies, and I got to find out where the puppy supposedly came from! They have a binder out with all their inventory/info sheets on the puppies, and I got to snap this:

(It was out in public view, so I have no problems posting this, but I'll take it down in a second if anyone, here or otherwise, has a problem with it.)

I put the address and name into Google, and all that came up was a masonry company. :iiam:

So, anyone have any idea what those registration numbers are for the sire and dam? I tried Googling the dogs' names, but absolutely nothing came up. At this point I'm guessing it's just some guy with two GSDs trying to make extra cash, but who knows if it's also just a front for a broker or something. Just wondering if anyone can figure out where the parents came from! :)

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Kiri koli posted:

But really, she can quit peanut butter anytime she wants, guys.

Psyche and I should form a support group. We can call it "gently caress the kids with peanut allergies".

Have a dramatically lit poodle.

and a JRT bumper sticker

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So. Um. Is it dumb that I am already thinking about/getting excited for PISS? :saddowns:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Skizzles posted:

So. Um. Is it dumb that I am already thinking about/getting excited for PISS? :saddowns:

PISS is the best time of the year. Plus only its 2 weeks until November already! I already got some gift certificates for pet things on crazy sale that I can always use on myself if my PISSee doesn't have pets that can use them.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

I love PISS and SASS. And the Nail Polish SS this year too. I only ever really get Christmas presents for my mom, partner, and best friend – so spoiling people's pets is a treat. Last year I got someone with like 8 cats and a couple dogs! Awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PISS is pretty much the best thing for this time of the year, because you get to make so many goofy pets so happy :3: I've been squirmy about it for a couple of days now. No crazy rear end dreams like last year yet though. And I've already been talking at Tiaz about SASS.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

WolfensteinBag posted:

I put the address and name into Google, and all that came up was a masonry company. :iiam:

So, anyone have any idea what those registration numbers are for the sire and dam? I tried Googling the dogs' names, but absolutely nothing came up. At this point I'm guessing it's just some guy with two GSDs trying to make extra cash, but who knows if it's also just a front for a broker or something. Just wondering if anyone can figure out where the parents came from! :)

To be honest, it looks like an unlicensed Amish puppymill trail to me.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Invalid Octopus posted:

I love PISS and SASS. And the Nail Polish SS this year too.

I skipped PISS and SASS last year, maybe the last 2 years? because :effort:

But I am doing these 3 this year! Already shopping for nail polish and thinking about SASS ideas.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Skizzles posted:

Ive been excited for PISS since August :saddowns:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I had so much fun with PISS last year! I can't wait either! My dog is lying next to me whining right now so I'm going to guess he can't wait either.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

You think you guys are bad? Pardalis works at a nice little local premium pet supply place, which means we collectively have not stopped looking at/setting aside things that could be potential PISS presents since last PISS.

I don't know why it's so fun to buy things for other people's pets but it is.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

PISS means I can buy fun toys for other people's pets that my dog would either destroy or can't use. Its kind of fun.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I'm going to sign up for PISS this year for the first time I think. :) My life has been too chaotic the last couple of years for me to confidently say I could ship things out on time, but things have settled down and I'm excited about it. I love buying things for critters.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I've been on the fence about doing PISS this year. The last two years I participated (and I hadn't done so before) I never got to see any photos of the pets enjoying their packages. I was bummed. :( I'll probably participate this year, but it'll depend on how things pan out over the next month.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I wish I could participate. :sigh: PISS looks like a lot of fun but my boyfriend and I are in the process of trying to buy a house so I'm not super-confident about shipping and having the money to buy gifts.

(Plus I really want to get a better camera before I do so I'll have better pics of my animals flipping out over STUFF AND THINGS :byodood:)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm excited about PISS because someone is getting a stuffed pillow version of their pet and I get to play with the sewing machine.

I'm worried though because Sadie has a rather "meh" attitude towards toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I'm excited about PISS too. Always fun to torture other people's animals with clothing. Also, I literally always spend over the limit because OMG YAY ANIMALS.

• Locked thread