Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Yoshifan823 posted:

Can someone reccoment me more good indie/dance/synth/lo-fi/surf pop in the vein of Tennis, Summer Camp, Best Coast, Hospitality, Chairlift, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Real Estate, Telekinesis, etc?

try anything that goes with the twee moniker, but for more lo-fi/surf pop indie stuff, start with Black Tambourine, Raveonettes, Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Hunx + his Punx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Can someone reccoment me more good indie/dance/synth/lo-fi/surf pop in the vein of Tennis, Summer Camp, Best Coast, Hospitality, Chairlift, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Real Estate, Telekinesis, etc?
I've always thought Real Estate sound exactly like The Radio Dept.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Niggurath posted:

I wonder if anyone can recommend me something similar to Mae Shi/Signals. Semi dancey but very strange electronic rock I guess? It's hard for me to describe them.

Tubelord have a similar big vocal harmonies and energetic punk-influenced not-punk rock thing going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoYAKYDawxc

Also Make Believe are a really off-kilter indie rock band with weird vocals, this guy kinda splits the difference between the later mae shi singer and frank black style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8R_7sqpQgI

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
What are the essential/best Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums?

Also are there any artists that sound a bit like James Blake? I like the minimal dubstep sound and the synth's he uses on tracks like Wilhelm Scream and To Care (Like You).

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

msinclair posted:

Also are there any artists that sound a bit like James Blake? I like the minimal dubstep sound and the synth's he uses on tracks like Wilhelm Scream and To Care (Like You).

Jamie Woon, definitely.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

msinclair posted:

I often ask this even though I already listen to some of the Seeds, but I think it's something like From Her to Eternity, Your Funeral My Trial, Tender Prey, and Murder Ballads making up my choice four, but others with more versed opinions might lend better insight (I haven't heard Kicking Against the Pricks, The Firstborn is Dead, or Henry's Dream).

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

msinclair posted:

My favorite are Kicking Against the Pricks, Tender Prey (probably the one everyone will agree on), and Henry's Dream

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Comin off this big punk bender on the previous page, I have a sort of similar request. I don't really listen to much hardcore punk or alot of the (to me, generic sounding) punk that tends to be sorta well known in punk circles. I'm more of a fan of Plan-it-X and related pop-punk type stuff. The best example would be The Max Levine Ensemble (and Spoonboy) as awesome pure fun pop punk, but Good Luck is great too, Imperial Can, Andrew Jackson Jihad's electric stuff, and some of the more instrumental stuff like Fashanu, Shinobu, and Teenage Cool kids (their first album, mainly, anyway.) I also really like alot of the new garage punk like Black Lips, Nobunny, Ty Segall, and Hunx. So I'm pretty much looking for anything that's similar to any of this stuff.
Also I really enjoyed both of these, if that helps:

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

bomblol posted:

Comin off this big punk bender on the previous page, I have a sort of similar request. I don't really listen to much hardcore punk or alot of the (to me, generic sounding) punk that tends to be sorta well known in punk circles. I'm more of a fan of Plan-it-X and related pop-punk type stuff. The best example would be The Max Levine Ensemble (and Spoonboy) as awesome pure fun pop punk, but Good Luck is great too, Imperial Can, Andrew Jackson Jihad's electric stuff, and some of the more instrumental stuff like Fashanu, Shinobu, and Teenage Cool kids (their first album, mainly, anyway.) I also really like alot of the new garage punk like Black Lips, Nobunny, Ty Segall, and Hunx. So I'm pretty much looking for anything that's similar to any of this stuff.

Browse through IfYouMakeIt.com for free albums and videos from a lot of plan-it-x/diy pop punk/indie stuff. Definitely check out Spraynard, Delay, RVIVR, and The Sidekicks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm trying to get into electronic music and know nothing about it. I enjoy stuff like the Tron: Legacy soundtrack and Swedish House Mafia (esp Greyhound). I know that's probably as mainstream as it gets but any song/artist recommendations?

I like epic sounding stuff, if that makes any sense.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Daft Punk Alive theyre behind the torn legacy soundtrack it's awesome.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm trying to get into electronic music and know nothing about it. I enjoy stuff like the Tron: Legacy soundtrack and Swedish House Mafia (esp Greyhound). I know that's probably as mainstream as it gets but any song/artist recommendations?

I like epic sounding stuff, if that makes any sense.

Corny French house is a soft spot of mine (I don't really dig too deep into though). Daft Punk were part of that whole thing. Here's some cool repetitive and uplifting trax!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGMMlXlBaG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Gg0RdEWQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PvUHjoUJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04dk5PH5uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwr71AhakhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeMvR--ICk

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I'm into Child by David Lang at the moment, what other works of his should I check out?

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I really really love Rossz csillag alatt született by Venetian Snares, and I'm wondering if there's anything else similar to it in terms of frenetic, complicated stuff out there. I've heard lots of more ambient things, but what I really like about this album is that it's so incredibly intense (the most intense and chaotic parts of it are my favourite bits).

I know nothing about electronic music and I stumbled across this album by accident, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Whitefish posted:

I really really love Rossz csillag alatt született by Venetian Snares, and I'm wondering if there's anything else similar to it in terms of frenetic, complicated stuff out there. I've heard lots of more ambient things, but what I really like about this album is that it's so incredibly intense (the most intense and chaotic parts of it are my favourite bits).

I know nothing about electronic music and I stumbled across this album by accident, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Check out My Downfall, also by V Snares. It's quite similar, although not quite as good.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

bomblol posted:

The Exploding Hearts, The Spits, Royal Headache, Cheeky, Little Lungs, P.S. Eliot, Swearin', White Wires, Mean Jeans, virtually anything on Dirtnap, In The Red, Rob's House, Douchemaster, Burger, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rS5V9mZHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ffx9MoOr-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiXXAiA0YGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytm_8qpfys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NcnR33H8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtDv6qB5MQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0foF4JEqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8EQTUVr9QE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7J2J_pRoiA

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Whitefish posted:

Definitely check out Aphex Twin (or Richard D. James under one of his many other aliases), especially the album Drukqs. People would probably argue with me that any of his earlier albums would be a better entry point, but I think Drukqs strikes the best balance between the ambient and the chaotic, and it's possibly his most experimental.

Cock/Ver10
Kladfvgbung Micshk
Mt. St. Michel Mix + St. Michael's Mount

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Whitefish posted:

So I think you want more breakcore. Lets go with that.

Nero's Day At Disneyland
Igorrr
Dev/Null

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

msinclair posted:

For Nick Cave (solo), The Good Son is my favorite, and then From Her To Eternity, Murder Ballads, and Boatman's Call are all great. His work with Birthday Party is also great, so check out Prayers on Fire and Junkyard. I'm not the keenest on Grinderman. This is a personal thing (because I idolize Warren Ellis), but check out his soundtracks that he's done for John Hillcoat and The Assassination of jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford if you really want to get into the deep cuts of Nick.

As far as minimal dubstep, most people tend to enjoy Burial too. My personal favorites are the Kindred and Street Halo EPs, and then Untrue is great as well.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

slowdave posted:

Check out My Downfall, also by V Snares. It's quite similar, although not quite as good.

Rollersnake posted:

Definitely check out Aphex Twin (or Richard D. James under one of his many other aliases), especially the album Drukqs. People would probably argue with me that any of his earlier albums would be a better entry point, but I think Drukqs strikes the best balance between the ambient and the chaotic, and it's possibly his most experimental.

Cock/Ver10
Kladfvgbung Micshk
Mt. St. Michel Mix + St. Michael's Mount

NoiseNoiseNoise posted:

So I think you want more breakcore. Lets go with that.

Nero's Day At Disneyland
Igorrr
Dev/Null

Thanks, I'll check all of this out.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I'm looking for music I would categorize as like upbeat Bossa Nova. Stuff I could listen to on a warm sunny day with a drink in hand. Here's some stuff I like

The Girl From Ipenema - Stan Getz
Doralice - Stan Getz
L'Effet Jokari - Coralie Clement
Samba de mon conuer qui bat - Les Chiques
Ahh - Les Chiques
Voce Ja Foi Bahia - Astrud Gilberto

Basically, my favorite piece of video game music is Final Fantasy 7's - Costa Del Sol track. Every now and then I get the urge to find some music similar to it, but haven't had much luck. Thought I would see if anyone could point me towards the upbeat stuff. Thanks

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

f1av0r posted:

I'm looking for music I would categorize as like upbeat Bossa Nova. Stuff I could listen to on a warm sunny day with a drink in hand. Here's some stuff I like

The Girl From Ipenema - Stan Getz
Doralice - Stan Getz
L'Effet Jokari - Coralie Clement
Samba de mon conuer qui bat - Les Chiques
Ahh - Les Chiques
Voce Ja Foi Bahia - Astrud Gilberto

Basically, my favorite piece of video game music is Final Fantasy 7's - Costa Del Sol track. Every now and then I get the urge to find some music similar to it, but haven't had much luck. Thought I would see if anyone could point me towards the upbeat stuff. Thanks

That track isn't upbeat, if anything it's even more languid than most bossa, it just has percussion which isn't a given. If you're into the super-schmaltzy side of the genre, Bebel & Astrud Gilberto's albums should work. And Nouvelle Vague. If you also want to hear some of the more artistically acclaimed stuff that isn't mean strictly as elevator muzak, try Joăo Gilberto, Nara Leăo & Vinicius de Moraes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anything like Purity Ring or Vitalic?

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Okay, a bit of an odd request. Due to the extremely happy resolution of a complicated chain of events, my insane landlord is getting evicted. She lives right next door to us and has made my life and the lives of my housemates a torment for the last several months. She is, to put it succinctly, quite insane.

My housemates and I will be fine; our lease will survive the eviction and we are on very good terms with the new owner of the property. The eviction will be a happy and triumphant day for all of us, and we plan on throwing a bit of a rager.

We're looking to make a playlist of appropriate songs to bid farewell to our psychotic landlord--basically anything that fits the situation. A representative sampling of what we have so far includes:

Hit the Road Jack - Jeff Zavac & the Craetts
Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
The Imperial March
Move Bitch - Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz
Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Steam

We have a few others in this general line. Any assistance is appreciated.

Tl;dr: need songs for celebratory party bidding farewell to insane landlord.

E.: genre doesn't matter; only that it fit the theme.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So I really like science fiction metal. Stuff like Traveller's Lord Weird Slough Feh, Hexen, a little bit of Bolt Thrower, and Galaktiktron is alright. What do you guys recommend for sci-fi metal?

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

blakout posted:

Daft Punk Alive theyre behind the torn legacy soundtrack it's awesome.

Basically all of Daft Punk's material, but it's important to note that Alive is a live mash-up of Daft Punk's music as mashed up live by Daft Punk. Basically it's the greatest greatest-hits album of all time.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Is it okay to suggest songs you'd just like other people to hear in this thread?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Is it okay to suggest songs you'd just like other people to hear in this thread?

No. It is not.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

axleblaze posted:

No. It is not.

Okay, anyone know some good Britpop?

tentril
May 9, 2012
What are some really good concept albums? I really like Ayreon's The Human Equation, Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche, and Ziltoid by Devin Townsend. I don't even need to it be heavy or anything, I just really like the more connected feeling concept albums have.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Anybody know anything like Bohren & der Club of Gore other than Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble? I don't really like KDE, and it is kind of hard to explain, but if I had to make a line between Jazz and Post-Rock it'd go like:

All the rest of jazz -> 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis ---> ???? ---> B&dCoG ---> KDE ---> Post-Rock

The question marks are the music I'm looking for.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

tentril posted:

What are some really good concept albums? I really like Ayreon's The Human Equation, Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche, and Ziltoid by Devin Townsend. I don't even need to it be heavy or anything, I just really like the more connected feeling concept albums have.

Phantom on the Horizon by The Fall of Troy is a pretty rockin' concept EP.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tentril posted:

The Monitor by Titus Andronicus?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

tentril posted:

Quasimoto - The Unseen
Rome - Flowers From Exile
Mithras - Forever Advancing Legions
any Parliament album (Clones of Doctor Funkenstein or Mothership Connection would be good starting places)
Residents - Big Bubble
Residents - Mark of the Mole
Residents - The Tunes of Two Cities

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Residents - Big Bubble
Residents - Mark of the Mole
Residents - The Tunes of Two Cities

Also Wormwood which isn't my favorite Residents album musically, but might be my favorite conceptually.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Jefferoo posted:

So I really like science fiction metal. Stuff like Traveller's Lord Weird Slough Feh, Hexen, a little bit of Bolt Thrower, and Galaktiktron is alright. What do you guys recommend for sci-fi metal?
You might want to check out Warp Riders by The Sword and pretty much everything by Coheed and Cambria (definitely start with In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3).

Fair warning though, the singer of Coheed and Cambria has an ... unusual voice.

tentril posted:

The albums I mentioned above are concept albums, but you could also check out these:

Akimbo - Jersey Shore (a concept album about shark attacks on the New Jersey shore, or, as Akimbo put it: "nature will gently caress you up and sharks, in particular, will totally gently caress you up")
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind (instrumental post-rock album, but comes with the short story in a booklet)
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (also post-rock, considered a concept album but never admitted as such as far as I know)
Kool Keith - Black Elvis/Lost in Space (two concepts: on the first half, Kool Keith raps about being Black Elvis, the second half is about being lost in space, surprisingly)
e: The Ocean - Precambrian (two CDs, even)
Intronaut - Valley of Smoke

I suppose most albums by The Mars Volta are concept albums, but it's also super proggy musical wankery and the lyrics are indecipherable.

Also, for shits and giggles: Several Ween albums have a concept of sorts (12 Golden Country Greats is Ween taking the piss out of country, The Mollusk has a vaguely nautical theme, for example).

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 25, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tentril posted:

What are some really good concept albums?

I can list of a ton of concept or near-concept albums (the Kinks, Deltron 3030, The Mountain Goats, Animals, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, eels, Sufjan Stevens) among my favorites, but the only thing that comes vaguely close to what you listed is Lift to Experience's The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've started listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and I'm really digging John Finn's Wife, Mercy Seat, and Papa Won't Leave You Henry and their live album. I'm not real familiar with the genre they belong to though, what would be some other songs and bands to start listening to with a similar sound?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'll give this a shot. My googling has come up short.

I like the sound of the saxophone being played in a dark alley in the rain. Usually by a guy who needs some extra coin for the week.

I absolutely love it.

Can anyone recommend something like this? I've listened to a lot of Jazz/Blues Saxophone radio stations with no real luck. It is almost always an ensemble type of band.

I just want to listen to a dude playing a sad sax tune, in an alley, in the rain. Not really up beat. Just relaxing. Soothing. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Can anyone recommend some good Dancehall? I was on a road trip last week and when we were in Toronto, we heard the BEST radio station; it was basically just high energy dancehall with a lot of "Bo!", "Riddim!" and "Big up Selektah!" type stuff being shouted all the time. However, I have no frame of reference for this musical genre so I guess I'm just looking for 3 or 4 names to explore. Thanks!