Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good history of beer book? I already own the Oxford Companion and Brewmaster's Table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good history of beer book? I already own the Oxford Companion and Brewmaster's Table.

They're written for homebrewers and probably geekier than you want, but both Radical Brewing and Designing Great Beers have lengthy sections on beer history. DGB in particular goes into great depth about the origins, traditions and defining traits of many different styles. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it unless you're looking to actually brew yourself but it might be worth seeing if you can get them through your local library.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

i need to drink more and post less, actually (or possibly not spend so much time on the computer while at work)

Same.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Docjowles posted:

They're written for homebrewers and probably geekier than you want, but both Radical Brewing and Designing Great Beers have lengthy sections on beer history. DGB in particular goes into great depth about the origins, traditions and defining traits of many different styles. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it unless you're looking to actually brew yourself but it might be worth seeing if you can get them through your local library.

I'd recommend Radical Brewing over Designing Great Beers because DGB is bone dry about its telling and I think Radical Brewing could theoretically appeal to even a non-homebrewer.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

What makes New Jersey a bullshit state? Are you just reiterating such old stereotype crud that most people do, or are you talking from experience from being in North Jersey? Because I can understand either of those points since you'd either be brainwashed to think NJ sucks, or you'd have a skewed perception since North Jersey blows. Either way, you're wrong. New Jersey has it's problems and downfalls, like every state, but none of those you would possibly know about unless you lived here such as high property taxes, high car insurance, rear end in a top hat drivers, and etc. And BTW all pre-conceived bullshit you hear about New Jersey is based off the North side, not Southern Jersey.

I lived in NJ in roughly the same area as you for years, and spent a whole lot of time going to various towns, townships, cities, and boroughs all around that entire belt of NJ. There are things about it that are charming. There are some very decent bottle shops. But on the whole, NJ is really a bit crap. It stands out the most when you drive to another state (not NYC or Phil) and notice how much safer the drivers are, and how even people being dumbasses in rest stops are more polite, on average, than you are used to.

The bottle shop you want in Philadelphia is a bodega grocery a few blocks east of Jose Pistolas and Monks. I'll find you the name/address in a sec.

e: its the Foodery on 10th and Pine. And holy poo poo did you know you can go inside of places on googlemaps now?

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 16, 2012

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I lived in NJ in roughly the same area as you for years, and spent a whole lot of time going to various towns, townships, cities, and boroughs all around that entire belt of NJ. There are things about it that are charming. There are some very decent bottle shops. But on the whole, NJ is really a bit crap. It stands out the most when you drive to another state (not NYC or Phil) and notice how much safer the drivers are, and how even people being dumbasses in rest stops are more polite, on average, than you are used to.

The bottle shop you want in Philadelphia is a bodega grocery a few blocks east of Jose Pistolas and Monks. I'll find you the name/address in a sec.

e: its the Foodery on 10th and Pine. And holy poo poo did you know you can go inside of places on googlemaps now?

Being from Jersey, I truly think every state has the worst drivers, heh.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
@joinstarfleetdental, I've been to the Foodery, it has a great but overpriced selection and I can't get a 6 pack. Are there any stores in the Philly area where I can buy a 6 pack instead of a case or a single? Also my store got 3 cases of New Jersey's 20 for BCS so I was able to snag a 4 pack. I can't wait to try this then age the other 3. The process to make this intrigues me very much, thanks to the GI brewer for sharing.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Recommendations for go-to 3 Floyds beers, both from tap and/or bottled? I'm going to Chicago this weekend and realized I've never had anything they brew.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

The SARS Volta posted:

Recommendations for go-to 3 Floyds beers, both from tap and/or bottled? I'm going to Chicago this weekend and realized I've never had anything they brew.

You better like hops...

Dreadnaught and Arctic Panzer Wolf are big, hoppy, and awesome. Someone will pipe up with Zombie Dust, but I greatly prefer the other two. In fact, I still prefer Alpha King to ZD. Most of their seasonals are good but not great, in my opinion, but nothing they do is bad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Details on Cantillion's Zwanze Day are out. Saturday December 1. Some new locations available this year, including Denver.

quote:

America - USA :
Armsby Abbey - Worcester, Massachusetts
Avenue Pub - New Orleans, Louisiana
ChurchKey - Washington, D.C.
Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar - Denver, Colorado
Holy Grale - Louisville, Kentucky
Hop and Vine - Portland, Oregon
Lord Hobo - Cambridge, Massachusetts
Monk's Café - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Novare Res Bier Café - Portland, Maine
REAL a gastropub - Honolulu, Hawai'i
Redlight Redlight - Orlando, Florida
Spuyten Duyvil - Brooklyn, New York
The Foundry - Kansas City, Missouri
The Trappist - Oakland, California
Toronado - San Diego, California
West Lakeview Liquors - Chicago, Illinois

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

You better like hops...

Dreadnaught and Arctic Panzer Wolf are big, hoppy, and awesome. Someone will pipe up with Zombie Dust, but I greatly prefer the other two. In fact, I still prefer Alpha King to ZD. Most of their seasonals are good but not great, in my opinion, but nothing they do is bad.

Agree. Three Floyds is probably the world's most overhyped brewery, and nearly everything they make has too many drat hops. Honestly though, I'd recommend you try at least all of their year-rounds - Robert The Bruce is still among my favourites though I don't drink it as often as I used to.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Docjowles posted:

Details on Cantillion's Zwanze Day are out. Saturday December 1. Some new locations available this year, including Denver.

I will definitely be at Monk's on Dec. 1st. It will definitely be a shitshow.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

crazyfish posted:

Agree. Three Floyds is probably the world's most overhyped brewery, and nearly everything they make has too many drat hops. Honestly though, I'd recommend you try at least all of their year-rounds - Robert The Bruce is still among my favourites though I don't drink it as often as I used to.

Thanks guys. I didn't want to ask something as obtuse as "GOING TO CHICAGO, WHAT SHOULD I DRINK?" :v: but 3F was the first to come to mind.

There's an off-chance I'll be at the Map Room at some point but might not have much of a chance to try new stuff anyway. Might make a Binny's run if we're still in town when it opens on Sunday, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Docjowles posted:

I would definitely make the drive down to Chicago that day depending on what they would offer and how good my chances would be of not having to fight people to drink beer or stand in lines for hours.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

I would definitely make the drive down to Chicago that day depending on what they would offer and how good my chances would be of not having to fight people to drink beer or stand in lines for hours.

Yeah, WLV's site is saying details coming soon. If it's not a shitshow, I'm interested.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

They have sixpack discounts whenever you buy six and if you want six all the same you just loving take five more off the shelf and they have piles of sixpack holders everywhere and :psyduck:.

Docjowles posted:

Europe : Belgium - Brussels : Moeder Lambic Fontainas

Planning my calendar around it!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

They have sixpack discounts whenever you buy six and if you want six all the same you just loving take five more off the shelf and they have piles of sixpack holders everywhere and :psyduck:.

I don't know why you're being aggressive about it, I am asking a legitimate question. I've only been there once and the only thing I remember about it is that the prices are ridiculously high, $20 for an Alesmith Speedway Stout. Is it completely illegal for a single store to offer singles, 6 packs, and cases in PA, as in New Jersey?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The SARS Volta posted:

I just had Zombie Dust but I really liked it :v: other than that Robert the Bruce is good, my friend really loving loves Gumballhead but I would categorize it as "good but not great." Their Moloko Milk Stout is also supposed to be pretty tasty.

Non Three Floyds, you should check out Two Brothers if they don't have it by you. Their Heavy Handed IPA is a pretty tasty seasonal. Their Ebel's Weiss wheat beer is really loving good, imo. They have a brewpub out in the western suburbs that I was at a month or two ago, and the food is very reasonably priced, as is the beer. Plus, the tour is free and they give you three free samplers just for going on the tour.

I've never been to Half Acre, and have only had their Daisy Cutter from a can before, but it's really tasty, and again, if it's not distributed to where you're from, I would try it.

I am sure that some other Chicagoons can give you some other recommendations.

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

The SARS Volta posted:

Thanks guys. I didn't want to ask something as obtuse as "GOING TO CHICAGO, WHAT SHOULD I DRINK?" :v: but 3F was the first to come to mind.

There's an off-chance I'll be at the Map Room at some point but might not have much of a chance to try new stuff anyway. Might make a Binny's run if we're still in town when it opens on Sunday, though.

Do yourself a favor and go to Haymarket Brewery. The stuff they brew is awesome and they have guest taps/bottles of 3F and other awesome midwest stuff.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

Is it completely illegal for a single store to offer singles, 6 packs, and cases in PA, as in New Jersey?

Yeah, pretty much.

You're right about the Foodery's prices being highway robbery, though. There is a new bottle shop opening in Fishtown though, so hopefully that will introduce a little bit of healthy competition.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I've only been to the Foodery once and they didn't put prices on any of their loving beers, so I only found out at the counter they were sky high. Infuriating.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Oh gosh the first Zwanze Day I'm reasonably close to :neckbeard: I wish I could goto the Crooked Stave for it because that venue rocks, doubly so for otherwise being in a total ghetto.

Sorry for the dumb question but is there anything in particular I have to sign up for beforehand or do I just show up and wade through the crowd?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RiggenBlaque posted:

I've only been to the Foodery once and they didn't put prices on any of their loving beers, so I only found out at the counter they were sky high. Infuriating.

They have a catalog with prices in the back, but it's always extremely out of date.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Modern Automaton posted:

Do yourself a favor and go to Haymarket Brewery. The stuff they brew is awesome and they have guest taps/bottles of 3F and other awesome midwest stuff.

Seconding this, Mathias is amazing, but all of their Belgian IPAs are exceptional.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oh gosh the first Zwanze Day I'm reasonably close to :neckbeard: I wish I could goto the Crooked Stave for it because that venue rocks, doubly so for otherwise being in a total ghetto.

Sorry for the dumb question but is there anything in particular I have to sign up for beforehand or do I just show up and wade through the crowd?

You should check ahead on what is going on. Call the bar, follow their social media etc. My friends who made the drive to Avenue Pub last year said a line had formed for tickets to allocate the beer beforehand. Would suck to show up for nothing.

e:
http://lushtastic.com/2011/09/19/cantillon-zwanze-day-2011/

air- fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 16, 2012

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Different places do it differently. I was at Russian River for last year's, and basically they just gave a ticket to everyone who happened to be waiting in line when they opened that day which allowed them to buy the small tasting size (they only got one 5gal keg, I think).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

danbanana posted:

You better like hops...

Agree. I'm not a huge fan of ZD, maybe it's the Citra, I don't know. Alpha King, Gumballhead, and anything they make is good. Wasn't a huge fan of Arctic Panzer Wolf, but I really want to try Dreadnaught.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This isn't really a beer post except to say that there is a Bell's event at the biggest beer bar in town. I am not there. But I have now learned via Twitter that LeVar Burton is there.

Could have gotten beer and met Geordi. And now I have neither. :[

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

This isn't really a beer post except to say that there is a Bell's event at the biggest beer bar in town. I am not there. But I have now learned via Twitter that LeVar Burton is there.

Could have gotten beer and met Geordi. And now I have neither. :[

Bell's Black Note is delicious, but don't take my word for it...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

Bell's Black Note is delicious, but don't take my word for it...

:golfclap:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

This reminds me that I have a Black Butte XXIII that I've been sitting on. Does this stuff improve with age?

I keep unintentionally "aging" beers by putting them in my fridge and waiting for just the right occasion to open them. It's a problem.
The Black Butte anniversary beers generally do improve with age to a point. Six months to a year would definitely be fine, and a lot of them go longer than that. I drank my last XXI about six months ago and it was still fantastic. I got a taste of XX at some point this year, and it was starting to go downhill but still great. Since the batches vary a bit, so will the aging potential.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Too rough, too bitter.

I say this even as a fan of Moxie.
That's...weird. Most people (including me) complain it's too malty to the point of being syrupy. I agree there's not a lot of hop complexity, and it can come across as straight bitter without pine or citrus.

Since we're on the subject of Joseph James anyhow I'll throw in a little more narrative. Everyone likes small brewery business chat, right? They went through an ownership change recently due to health problems with the original owner. During that it wasn't clear whether they'd stay in business, so their head brewer, Alex Graham, left to take an open marketing position at Tenaya Creek, another local brewery. There haven't been any formal announcements about who's replacing Alex yet, but I have it on good authority it's someone with very strong IPA experience. Expect the Hop Box formula to change again, for the (much) better.

In the meantime, Joseph James is releasing some of Alex's last beers. Their Oktoberfest is on-point for the style, delicious and sessionable. Tomorrow they release the barrel aged RIS. I got a taste of that during a tour, and I have to say it might be Alex's best work. Him marketing for Tenaya Creek is wasted potential approximately on par with Leonardo da Vinci doing an ad campaign for a webcomic. Hopefully once they get their expansion finished Tenaya Creek can set him loose on the brewing side again.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Grabbed the last Jolly Pumpkin bomber at my local; thanks for the recommendations!

Boulevard Stingo is fantastic, and I realized this just in time for the neighborhood bar to rotate it off their tap. drat my Oktoberfest addiction. :arghfist::smith:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Got paid today so I marched down to the bottle shop and bought a few things to stock the fridge with. Chief among them is Collage which is a collaboration between Deschutes n Hair of the Dog. It is a mix of...oh god it's too complex

quote:

The Dissident – A Flanders style brown ale 100% aged in a Domaine Drouhin French Pinot Noir barrel. 30 IBU’s, 10.5% ABV

The Stoic – A Belgian Quad 100% aged in a Heaven Hill Rye Whiskey barrel. 20 IBU’s, 11.0% ABV

FRED – 100% aged in a Heaven Hill Bourbon Midwest barrel. 65 IBU’s, 10.0% ABV

ADAM – 100% aged Francois Freres New Oregon Oak. 50 IBU’s, 10.0% ABV

At $10 for a 12er I hope it's pretty good.

(No Dissident yet :mad:)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Collage...At $10 for a 12er I hope it's pretty good.

This was the last thing we opened at a recent bottle share. After a lot of other things, it's hard to really judge but I remember saying I liked straight Adam more than it. I haven't had Dissident or Stoic.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Got paid today so I marched down to the bottle shop and bought a few things to stock the fridge with. Chief among them is Collage which is a collaboration between Deschutes n Hair of the Dog. It is a mix of...oh god it's too complex

Someone sent me a bottle of it in a trade forever ago and I just recently opened it on a whim. Was really sad when it was gone and wish I had received more than one bottle. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you're sitting on a bottle of Stone 16th Anniversary IPA, I'd recommend moving it into the 'age for kicks and see what happens' pile. I opened a bottle last night that had been in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and was really disappointed - the hops had fallen out of it, and the lemon was turning astringent. Not a pleasant experience, which is too bad since Stone 15th was still good even almost a year later when I had it.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Podima posted:

If you're sitting on a bottle of Stone 16th Anniversary IPA, I'd recommend moving it into the 'age for kicks and see what happens' pile. I opened a bottle last night that had been in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and was really disappointed - the hops had fallen out of it, and the lemon was turning astringent. Not a pleasant experience, which is too bad since Stone 15th was still good even almost a year later when I had it.

I thought this beer was utter poo poo and turned me off of ever buying another Stone product. Just horrendous!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Damnit, I have been sitting on this for a while, maybe 6 weeks? and was going to share it with my beer loving uncle at Thanksgiving.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

It'd be better for your Bath and Body Works-enjoying aunt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Podima posted:

I had it on draft and I didn't think it was very good at all, and certainly wouldn't have been worth aging.