Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Guy Fieri showed his own restaurant on a DDD episode and that place looked terrible. It was in the same realm of TGI Fridays or Chevy's. During the recipe demos the camera also zoomed in on the knives and of course it was the Guy Fieri brand,

Which one? The one that serves pizza sushi or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know, they served sushi tacos which didn't look that bad but everything else was like chain restaurant food.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Frot Lesnar posted:

I'd rather see more of the "gently caress you poor people" shows about places I could never afford than exposés about how unsanitary the restaurants I can afford to eat at are.

Yeah, I see no reason why this show should be on food network. All it does is freak people out even more so about health and food prep.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cream_Filling posted:

It's an integral part of watching, too.

Seriously, that endorsement deal is probably the most realistic one ever. It's hardly shilling if you actually use their product constantly.

Paula Deen :colbert:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Thought the thread would enjoy this: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/anthony-bourdain-roast.html

"Look at all these wonderful chefs... and Rachael Ray. Rachael doesn’t measure any of her ingredients in the kitchen. She just 'guesstimates,' although, to be fair, that orange powder in the Kraft macaroni and cheese box is already measured, so it’s really not that impressive. Rachael Ray is the only person on this stage who can make homemade bread using nothing but store-bought bread. It’s a gift". —Ted Allen

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Mu Zeta posted:

Guy Fieri showed his own restaurant on a DDD episode and that place looked terrible. It was in the same realm of TGI Fridays or Chevy's. During the recipe demos the camera also zoomed in on the knives and of course it was the Guy Fieri brand,

Did he use Rachel Ray cookware and Sandra Lee martini glasses too? Viva paper towels and genuine Welch's grape juice at the bar? That is kinda nauseating.

And is DDD so hard up for location suggestions that they are starting to use the host's haunts in the programming, or is this a [hidden] endorsement/plug?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh god, they apparently dumped that black guy with Fieri's hair on Unique Sweets season premiere for Baron Ambrosia!

DDD seems to have somewhat gone downhill lately, unusual amount of Hawaii content though. There's gotta still be more surprising places left---they just need to focus on that and less the oddball stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Thought the thread would enjoy this: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/anthony-bourdain-roast.html

"Look at all these wonderful chefs... and Rachael Ray. Rachael doesn’t measure any of her ingredients in the kitchen. She just 'guesstimates,' although, to be fair, that orange powder in the Kraft macaroni and cheese box is already measured, so it’s really not that impressive. Rachael Ray is the only person on this stage who can make homemade bread using nothing but store-bought bread. It’s a gift". —Ted Allen

This really shows how awesome Ted Allen is when he's not on Chopped. His quotes are pretty easily the best of the bunch there.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I never knew Ted Allen was so ice-loving-cold. I mean, "Guy, I remember the first time I met you, you taught me how to pronounce your name correctly. Just fit the word 'fi' and 'airy,' because no one is more concerned about Italian authenticity than the motherfucker who created Johnny Garlic’s."

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I never knew Ted Allen was so ice-loving-cold. I mean, "Guy, I remember the first time I met you, you taught me how to pronounce your name correctly. Just fit the word 'fi' and 'airy,' because no one is more concerned about Italian authenticity than the motherfucker who created Johnny Garlic’s."

I would really enjoy Ted Allen more if he left Food Network. Chopped, that other show (the one that involved science), and other appearances have convinced me that the writing is holding him back, not his talent.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Frot Lesnar posted:

I'd rather see more of the "gently caress you poor people" shows about places I could never afford than exposés about how unsanitary the restaurants I can afford to eat at are.

Hong Kong still does a couple of these every now and then...but I agree with you about how the lack of "gently caress you poor people" shows. But then again even the Top Chef contestants state how Fine Dining is going out of fashion.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Heat Seekers is a fine dining show but I would like to see a food eating duel contest like EAT THAT TACO in the vein of name that tune. "I can eat that taco with 8 squirts of hot sauce Alton."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Frot Lesnar posted:

Heat Seekers is a fine dining show but I would like to see a food eating duel contest like EAT THAT TACO in the vein of name that tune. "I can eat that taco with 8 squirts of hot sauce Alton."

Sort of like an american version of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twr0AaFTaxw

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh god how I wish somebody caught that entire Bourdain roast on tape. Reading it is one thing---but seeing lots of these folks go off would be a sight to behold!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

CrushedWill posted:

I would really enjoy Ted Allen more if he left Food Network. Chopped, that other show (the one that involved science), and other appearances have convinced me that the writing is holding him back, not his talent.
One of the quotes from Boudain himself was actually about the Chopped producers are pretty much holding him back and how much better he was on Top Chef. I've only seen maybe two seasons of Top Chef (plus a few episodes here an there) and kinda remember seeing him as a guest judge on there, but I don't remember how good of a judge he was.

Also, even though I don't care much for Boudain (he seems way too :smug: for my liking), I got a good laugh at this since I care for Guy Fieri even less.

quote:

[To Guy Fieri, again] "What are you, 48? 49? Are you pushing 50? Which begs the question… when will you start to de-douche? Are we going to gradually segue to more age-appropriate attire? As the years pass, will the sun glass slowly move forward, eventually finding their way to, say, your eyes? What then? Will your cruel masters at Food Network jettisen you like they did Mario and Emeril before you? I’m worried about this."

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ted Allen was great on Top Chef. I am weird and liked queer eye for the straight guy for the most part and he was good there, too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He was also good when he was a judge on Iron Chef America.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

quote:

"Everybody’s been asking me, 'What on earth are you going to say at Bourdain’s roast? He’s been poo poo-talking your name everywhere.' And I’ve been saying, 'Don’t you worry about me. I won’t touch him with a 10-pole, because smack-talking Bourdain would be like hitting a piñata full of poo poo.' Real messy. I want everyone to understand that I’m going to be the bigger man. I’m going to take the high road. I wouldn’t dare come up here and call Anthony Bourdain any of these things that people have called him: No-good, loud mouth, jerkoff, wannabe authority, pseudo rebel, nerd, poo poo-talking, blow hard, celebrity-seeking, Eric-Ripert coattail, Mario Batali rear end-kissing hate monger ... Jose Canseco of the food world, snaggle tooth, Lurch-looking motherfucker. No, I’m here to take the high road." — Guy Fieri

"Anthony, I gotta ask a question, why do you hate me so much brother? ... Is it because you went to a fancy culinary school and I didn’t? I hear you’re the only one in class who did most of his cooking with a spoon and a Bic lighter." — Guy Fieri

Question: is Guy Fieri the worst, or the goddamn worst? He's at a roast for the the guy who talks the most poo poo about him than anyone else and he just whines about not being liked. And his insults are the worst. He actually called Anthony Bourdain "no-good" and a nerd. I'm surprised he didn't bring his mom on stage to give Bourdain a stern talking to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly thought that second joke was pretty good. Better than any of the quotes they have from Bonnie McFarlane at least.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Obeast posted:

Also, even though I don't care much for Boudain (he seems way too :smug: for my liking), I got a good laugh at this since I care for Guy Fieri even less.

Bourdain is a grade A douche bag as well. He has been openly critical of chefs that put celebrity over cooking, yet he has a media empire which includes books and TV shows. He recently bailed from Travel Network to try and get an even bigger presence on CNN. He is becoming what he previously despised.

As much as I dislike Tony, he does have a point when he calls out Food Network personalities for not being able to cook. I share your intense dislike of all things Guy Fieri. He's a walking cartoon, one that appears to have mediocre cooking technique while having enough personality to persuade others of perceived value.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I honestly thought that second joke was pretty good. Better than any of the quotes they have from Bonnie McFarlane at least.

I like Bonnie McFarlane but I'm not sure what she or any of the other comedians were doing there. Surely there's enough people from the cooking world that would love to take shots at Bourdain.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain is a grade A douche bag as well. He has been openly critical of chefs that put celebrity over cooking, yet he has a media empire which includes books and TV shows. He recently bailed from Travel Network to try and get an even bigger presence on CNN. He is becoming what he previously despised.

As much as I dislike Tony, he does have a point when he calls out Food Network personalities for not being able to cook. I share your intense dislike of all things Guy Fieri. He's a walking cartoon, one that appears to have mediocre cooking technique while having enough personality to persuade others of perceived value.

To be fair to Tony, the books are his own writing, and he's been an author for a lot longer than he's been famous, and the move to CNN isn't to get a higher profile, it's because Scripps (Owners of Food Network) bought Travel Channel, so it's pretty consistent with everything he talks about to want to get out of there. I'd hardly say the guy has a "media empire" compared to the likes of Rachael Ray or Guy, he just does what he loves (writing, travelling, eating), and is a compelling enough person that people want to pay him to do those things.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I like Bonnie McFarlane but I'm not sure what she or any of the other comedians were doing there. Surely there's enough people from the cooking world that would love to take shots at Bourdain.

Yeah, all of the comedian quotes in there were lame typical roast jokes. The ones from the food people were so much more personal, which means they were way funnier.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

To be fair to Tony, the books are his own writing, and he's been an author for a lot longer than he's been famous, and the move to CNN isn't to get a higher profile, it's because Scripps (Owners of Food Network) bought Travel Channel, so it's pretty consistent with everything he talks about to want to get out of there. I'd hardly say the guy has a "media empire" compared to the likes of Rachael Ray or Guy, he just does what he loves (writing, travelling, eating), and is a compelling enough person that people want to pay him to do those things.

I had no idea about the transfer of ownership of Travel Channel to the Borg (aka Food Network). I still thing Tony is a smug rear end in a top hat that aspires to become what he previously despised, but I completely understand his desire to get the hell away from the Travel Channel. Thanks for the info!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

CrushedWill posted:

He's not trying to sell his own line of kitchen wares like most of the celebrity chefs do. If wanting to keep your standards high on your show and writing memoirs makes you a sell out, I really don't know what to tell you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Moving to CNN is a good move. Probably won't have to do this again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CrushedWill posted:

I had no idea about the transfer of ownership of Travel Channel to the Borg (aka Food Network). I still thing Tony is a smug rear end in a top hat that aspires to become what he previously despised, but I completely understand his desire to get the hell away from the Travel Channel. Thanks for the info!

He's a New Yorker, he's a smug rear end in a top hat by definition. :v:

Basically, the writing was on the wall the minute the ink dried on Scripps' acquisition of Travel Channel, considering that Bourdain went there in the first place to get away from the Food Network assholes. He didn't even have to do another season of No Reservations -- Scripps is just showing leftover episodes from Season 8 and calling them the Final Tour or whatever.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Bourdain even badmouthed Scripps during his reddit AMA that was hosted by Travel Channel on YouTube. His disdain for them knows no bounds.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

axleblaze posted:

It's like a Lisa Lampanelli joke on any other roast. Just because you know that she's way less talented than whoever the joke is about, about doesn't mean it can't be funny.

Question: is Guy Fieri the worst, or the goddamn worst? He's at a roast for the the guy who talks the most poo poo about him than anyone else and he just whines about not being liked. And his insults are the worst. He actually called Anthony Bourdain "no-good" and a nerd. I'm surprised he didn't bring his mom on stage to give Bourdain a stern talking to.

I was about to say that you don't need to be a trained chef to drive around the country and announce that fried things from non-chain restaurants are yummy. Or so I thought, until I found out that Adam Richman is apparently a chef.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Ted Allen was great on Top Chef. I am weird and liked queer eye for the straight guy for the most part and he was good there, too.

I'm over Tom Collichio. Give me a Ted Allen and Hugh Acheson judge's table on Top Chef.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

I have a feeling alcohol is an integral part of Sandra Lee's "cooking". Well, for the people eating it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK21SZoXoa4

It's amazing that she doesn't have jaundice yet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jenkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK21SZoXoa4

She probably pukes most of it up after dinner anyway.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Jenkin posted:

Per Wiki:

quote:

Amanda Hesser wrote in The New York Times that Lee "...seems more intent on encouraging people to create excuses for not cooking than on encouraging them to cook wholesome simple foods", concluding that "...she has produced two books in which she encourages a dislike for cooking, and gives people an excuse for feeding themselves and their families mediocre food filled with preservatives".

Sounds like a culinary role model to me :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

CrushedWill posted:

He has been openly critical of chefs that put celebrity over cooking, yet he has a media empire which includes books and TV shows.
Les Halles closed in '08 and I have no idea when he was last actually listed as the executive chef there. The point being, Bourdain's well-known not for his stint at Les Halles but specifically because of his writing and travel shows.

There are plenty of reasons to complain about who he is/what he does but it's weird to nail him to the wall on that one when he's put his writing/tv stuff before his cooking since, well, we've all known him.

I think you're missing his point about celebrity chefs given that -and I could be wrong about this one- he doesn't call himself a chef first at this point.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm over Tom Collichio.

I've forever had a problem with him. He is pretty much the definition of a celebrity chef, and his expertise are steaks. I don't want to act like people don't routinely kill their beef, but cooking a steak is not too far beyond boiling water. Especially if every cut you get is identical, the same temp, your grill/broiler/pan is always about the same temp. You pretty much just season, flop it on, flip it, and remove. If a fryer at Wendy's didn't beep when the fries were done, it would be about as intricate.

Yet, he always loves to claim authority on Italian cuisine. At least Scott, can't eat a red onion, cooks italian. He doesn't just rely on the fact his family name and some relatives were Italian to prove his worth. From someone who grew up in an Italian family, I find most of Collichio's comments about his Italian expertise pretty weak.

I could do without ever seeing him on a television again, but if I had to pick the one Top Chef "best chef ever to be on TV" to never see again, Rick Moonen, come up and accept your award. My was he terrible on TC Masters. I love sustainability. So much so I opened up a seafood restaurant in the middle of a loving desert. Yep. Tons of local, sustainable fish right here. In the sand.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

There are plenty of reasons to complain about who he is/what he does but it's weird to nail him to the wall on that one when he's put his writing/tv stuff before his cooking since, well, we've all known him.

But there inlies the rub (haha I made a food pun). I agree with you that Bourdain is fundamentally not currently a cook/chef, he is a media presence in the sense he pumps out books and TV shows that eventually turn into books. Yet he seems to be all over those that do the same thing. Food Network has fundamentally shifted from a network that promoted chefs and cooking related topics to a channel that attempts to position itself as a media presence with a food backdrop. Bourdain can't stand Food Network, but I'm not sure if he resents the fact that they hire people that can't cook, or if it's because they are doing a good business by slopping up media presence in the food genre.

Bourdain (and anybody else) have every right to take Food Network to task for hiring the assclowns they do to represent them. Short of Ted Allen and Alton Brown (and maybe one other person I am forgetting), I can't say I have much respect for any of the regulars there in terms of the food they are capable of producing. But I find it a bit hypocritical for him to go after a media company for doing the exact same thing he is in a different manner.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain can't stand Food Network, but I'm not sure if he resents the fact that they hire people that can't cook

Yes, this. He hates Food Network for promoting celebrity chefs that only really have the celebrity part mastered, eg Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee. I think he's all for, say, Mario Batali being a celebrity and Food Network (hypothetically) promoting the poo poo out of Mario Batali.

I just happened to see this video the other day that I think is apropos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR0pQcp5jYg

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain (and anybody else) have every right to take Food Network to task for hiring the assclowns they do to represent them. Short of Ted Allen and Alton Brown (and maybe one other person I am forgetting), I can't say I have much respect for any of the regulars there in terms of the food they are capable of producing. But I find it a bit hypocritical for him to go after a media company for doing the exact same thing he is in a different manner.

Bourdain will be the first to tell you, though, that he's one of those assclowns, too. He doesn't like to refer to himself as a chef in the first place (there's a reason his second book and his first TV show were called A Cook's Tour, not A Chef's Tour), and if you ever catch one of his speaking engagements, he'll readily admit that he didn't get to where he is because of his cooking, he got to where he is because he's a jackass with a big vocabulary.

He hates Food Network, and the people on it, because they're pretending to be something they're not -- because Food Network isn't about food.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Timby posted:

He hates Food Network, and the people on it, because they're pretending to be something they're not -- because Food Network isn't about food.

I will hate on Collichio all day, everday, and generally will defend Anthony, but don't you think that, in many ways, is more offensive than the "actors" who embrace it? If there were never a Hunter S Thompson, I am not so sure what Bourdain would be doing. His entire schtick is Hunter who worked in a restaurant industry.

To an extent, i find people more insufferable when they take a job, know what they are buying into, and the reason they even got the job is to try to be edgy, thought-provoking, and ballsy. All while cashing the same Food Network checks the people he supposedly hates.

Don't get me wrong, he is far more interesting than 95% of the people on FN. But, to not believe his show is a faux-intellectual travel show about him acting all deep and dark while having an entire network foot the bill and an entourage of cameras can only go so far. I soured on him when he, er, I mean Travel Channel, some producer, anyone but him, picked a Filipino, who never had actually been to the philippines as a host. That was, in my mind, when the shark jumped.

He goes and stays in a fancy hotel, jokes about how he used to be a drug addict, mentions how he appreciates food, met some great people, and then a really condescending take on a culture he didn't experience outside of a film crew. Let me explain (Insert any country that isn't the US.)"

"In the end, I left with a feeling of calm and peacefulness, but yet an uneasy anticipation of what is to come. Will this (insinuating 3rd world) country ever rise to the levels of success of it's Western counterparts, or, perhaps, are they better off living in this idyllic homage to times forgotten? Time will tell. Yet, my experiences in po-dunk-nowhere have left me profoundly changed, and, I think, for the better. Hey. Maybe I didn't need the streets of NYC to find enlightenment. Maybe it was in a rice paddy/poor rear end farm/whatever all along." Cut to scene of him with insufferable glasses on, ink blotter, and "Noooooooo Reservations."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

I soured on him when he, er, I mean Travel Channel, some producer, anyone but him, picked a Filipino, who never had actually been to the philippines as a host. That was, in my mind, when the shark jumped.

You know that was a contest right? People had to send in tapes of themselves trying to convince Bourdain to go to whatever country. That Saudi Arabian woman won, but the Filipino guy was the runner up.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

osukeith161 posted:

I will hate on Collichio all day, everday, and generally will defend Anthony, but don't you think that, in many ways, is more offensive than the "actors" who embrace it? If there were never a Hunter S Thompson, I am not so sure what Bourdain would be doing. His entire schtick is Hunter who worked in a restaurant industry.

To an extent, i find people more insufferable when they take a job, know what they are buying into, and the reason they even got the job is to try to be edgy, thought-provoking, and ballsy. All while cashing the same Food Network checks the people he supposedly hates.

Don't get me wrong, he is far more interesting than 95% of the people on FN. But, to not believe his show is a faux-intellectual travel show about him acting all deep and dark while having an entire network foot the bill and an entourage of cameras can only go so far. I soured on him when he, er, I mean Travel Channel, some producer, anyone but him, picked a Filipino, who never had actually been to the philippines as a host. That was, in my mind, when the shark jumped.

He goes and stays in a fancy hotel, jokes about how he used to be a drug addict, mentions how he appreciates food, met some great people, and then a really condescending take on a culture he didn't experience outside of a film crew. Let me explain (Insert any country that isn't the US.)"

"In the end, I left with a feeling of calm and peacefulness, but yet an uneasy anticipation of what is to come. Will this (insinuating 3rd world) country ever rise to the levels of success of it's Western counterparts, or, perhaps, are they better off living in this idyllic homage to times forgotten? Time will tell. Yet, my experiences in po-dunk-nowhere have left me profoundly changed, and, I think, for the better. Hey. Maybe I didn't need the streets of NYC to find enlightenment. Maybe it was in a rice paddy/poor rear end farm/whatever all along." Cut to scene of him with insufferable glasses on, ink blotter, and "Noooooooo Reservations."

^^^ This is exactly the issue I have with Tony. I do find Tony interesting, but my need to know more about the people I watch on TV has really hosed up my TV viewing lately. In some ways, I feel like I should have stuck with watching the program in front of me, and not dug into what I see as hypocrisy from Tony, Batali's underhanded tip handling, or any of the other poo poo some of these people have pulled (aka Paula Deen and her diabetic endorsements). I'm too curious for my own loving good.

All of this talk about Tony has left me really hungry for a DDD restaurant recommendation, the kind where the food is only edible by those that had their taste buds shot off in the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You know that was a contest right? People had to send in tapes of themselves trying to convince Bourdain to go to whatever country. That Saudi Arabian woman won, but the Filipino guy was the runner up.

I've seen both episodes. Abso-fuckig-loutely. So now that that is settled, why is it any different? It wasn't a contest where "whatever I picked out a hat, even if it was whale-eating Alaskan province, is what I will go to." It was chosen. Very carefully. And if you don't believe so, then woe is you. Submitting VHS tapes (did anyone really do this?) to a network is not at all vs the same legal rigidity of contests like lotteries or gambling. Take your romanticized notion of "contest" away, which it never was, and it was insulting.

• Locked thread