Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

illectro posted:

I have an RMA and the package is sent, I just need to convince them that it's their problem.

I hope you videotaped the packaging process. Asus rma centers in the past have damaged peoples devices and then claimed it was the owners fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I hope you videotaped the packaging process. Asus rma centers in the past have damaged peoples devices and then claimed it was the owners fault.

Wow this company is getting Worse and Worse in my eyes all the time. I wish Google did not use Asus for the Nexus 7, if this is what their customer service is Like!

Maybe next time it will be a Samesung or something quality like that, maybe Google will finally utilize Motorla

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kirk posted:

Wow this company is getting Worse and Worse in my eyes all the time. I wish Google did not use Asus for the Nexus 7, if this is what their customer service is Like!

Maybe next time it will be a Samesung or something quality like that, maybe Google will finally utilize Motorla

The current rumor is the 10" Nexus device will be by Samsung so I doubt they'll let Samsung control both 7 and 10 if they're giving them 10 already.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

The current rumor is the 10" Nexus device will be by Samsung so I doubt they'll let Samsung control both 7 and 10 if they're giving them 10 already.

I am glad that is the Case, I'm sure Samesung will do a better job than Asus. Here is to Hoping.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh Kirk.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kirk posted:

I am glad that is the Case, I'm sure Samesung will do a better job than Asus. Here is to Hoping.

I don't think Samsung's doing so well in tablet space. Phones, sure. Mostly, people just buy ASUS if they want an Android tablet now a days so I don't know.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, this problem is fixed with the update to 4.1.2.

Still wondering if it's a good idea to get an extended warranty with the Nexus 7.

Yep, Paul from google posted in that newgroup thread I linked to earlier

quote:

As you may have heard, Android 4.1.2 has started rolling out. This update includes a fix for 16GB Nexus 7s which may experience slower performance when running out of storage space. Android 4.1.2 is being distributed via over-the-air (OTA) update over the next several days; if your tablet hasn't received it yet please be patient.

If you're experiencing this issue and installing the update doesn't immediately resolve the it for you, I have a couple of recommendations. You can fill the device's memory up and then remove a few megabytes worth of data. Alternatively, you can reset the device (Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset) the tablet. After you've done either of these you should be able to re-fill the tablet's memory as much as you like without encountering this issue again.

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread who reported this problem, and especially those who helped us troubleshoot the issue. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

So the issue is supposedly resolved. I probably won't have time to test it myself for a while, though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeah...dare I ask what is Going on with All This?

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any setting to turn OFF the homescreen rotation on the Nexus 7? I liked it the way it was before.
Wait, the 4.1.2 update is out for the Nexus 7 already? Mine hasn't updated or told me there's an update and when I manually tell it to look for updates it tells me I'm already up to date.

*Edit Nevermind, pays to read to the end of the thread.

BarkingSquirrel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 12, 2012

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

In case anyone has a stock JRO03D N7 that's not getting the OTA you can do it manually (this will not work if your N7 is a 3S model, Google hasn't sent that OTA out yet):

• download the update - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo..._13498580655453
  • name it something not retarded
  • run the SDK Manager to make sure your ADB is up to date. mine wasn't and didn't recognize the below listed 'sideload' command and caused me to tear my nonexistant hair out
  • move your non retardedly named update to the same directory as your ADB.exe
  • plug in your usb and fire up ADB
  • adb reboot bootloader
  • on the tablet select reboot recovery (you can adb into recovery but for some reason my adb gives me fits)
  • while in recovery hold power + volume up to get the recovery menu. it's finicky so you may have to do that button combo a few times
  • select update via ADB
  • on your computer do 'adb sideload whateveryounamedit.zip' (without the quotes)
  • reboot when prompted

So, what's with the affiliate tracking link?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465751&userid=42391

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So, I went ahead and bought a Kindle Fire HD based purely on the fact that it had a brighter screen and "true" stereo speakers. Let's be honest here for a second, no one likes hearing sound out of one side of a tablet.

Anyway, you can side load a bunch of apps onto it without rooting and so that's what I did. The silk browser is kind of a POS, but opera mobile is buttery smooth. I know that the Nexus 7 has a faster processor and a blank slate OS, but for Netflix and e-reading you really can't beat the Fire. I'm sure eventually you'll be able to wipe and restore with CM10 but honestly its not that bad, amazon just needs to work a bit on their launcher optimization. If I can run CM9 on an HP Touch pad, then the eventual CM release for the Fire should be pretty snappy.

edit: and with all this talk about hardware issues...maybe the fire was the way to go after all.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 12, 2012

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

krushgroove posted:

Kirk's a pretty cool guy.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rabble posted:

I know that the Nexus 7 has a faster processor and a blank slate OS, but for Netflix and e-reading you really can't beat the Fire.
Do you mean for the price or am I missing something that makes the Fire unbeatable for those uses?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494233&pagenumber=112&perpage=40#post408137456

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I do love that 10inch Samsung rumour, given its magicing up a 10" 2560x1440 display, which hasn't been on Samsung's road map.

While a 11 inch 2560x1440 display and tablet to be released in latter stages of 2012 have been on their road map for 2 years! Its amazing how many tech sites release stuff without even thinking about the information that has already been released and has appeared on those same sites.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't think Samsung's doing so well in tablet space. Phones, sure. Mostly, people just buy ASUS if they want an Android tablet now a days so I don't know.

In America maybe, but in the UK Samsung are very very popular for Tablets, hell cant even remember ever seeing any transformer in any physical shop here. Also Samsung tablets in the Uk can be had for very low prices (as long as its not a 3G one) e.g. 10.1's for £250, has been as low as £220 with voucher codes etc.

ukle fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 12, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd completely forgotten that they even participated in it. Then I remembered about the Flyer and all of the chatter about whether it would actually include the stylus or not, etc.

Gingerbread and Honeycomb tablets were the worst.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

duTrieux. posted:

So, what's with the affiliate tracking link?

No clue. SA auto appended it. Is this something new this forum is doing for shortening long URL's? It was definitely a Google.com address when I posted it.

Edit: Mother fucker, it's something XDA is doing.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 12, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got a Stylus from Boxwave, and this thing works pretty well. I wouldn't say it worlds better than your finger, but it's a bit more precise and you don't have your hand and finger blocking the screen when you use it.

It's got a cool tip on it too, a sort of soft mesh. Much smoother than the rubber tips I've seen on other stylii.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

randyest posted:

Do you mean for the price or am I missing something that makes the Fire unbeatable for those uses?

Eh, unbeatable is kind of an overstatement. I'm just really enjoying the dual speaker design as compared to my parents iPad. The Fire is a purpose built media consumption device that can also do tablet stuff and the nexus 7 is a tablet that can also do media stuff.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57530223-94/google-10-inch-tablet-would-push-display-tech-envelope/

Remember the CNet rumor about the 10" high density display Samsung Nexus tablet? Same author has posted a follow up report which casually mentions that its expected in the first half of 2013.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ukle posted:

I do love that 10inch Samsung rumour, given its magicing up a 10" 2560x1440 display, which hasn't been on Samsung's road map.

While a 11 inch 2560x1440 display and tablet to be released in latter stages of 2012 have been on their road map for 2 years! Its amazing how many tech sites release stuff without even thinking about the information that has already been released and has appeared on those same sites.

In America maybe, but in the UK Samsung are very very popular for Tablets, hell cant even remember ever seeing any transformer in any physical shop here. Also Samsung tablets in the Uk can be had for very low prices (as long as its not a 3G one) e.g. 10.1's for £250, has been as low as £220 with voucher codes etc.

I don't really believe those specs myself but I'm not in the market for a 10+" tablet anyway so I wouldn't care if it was somehow the quality of an IMAX screen in a 10".

As for Samsung, I think it's mostly in the US that Samsung hasn't done nearly as well in tabletspace as they have in phone. Not sure.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'd completely forgotten that they even participated in it. Then I remembered about the Flyer and all of the chatter about whether it would actually include the stylus or not, etc.

Gingerbread and Honeycomb tablets were the worst.

Honestly, the same happened with me. I forgot HTC ever did tablets so I'm not sure how much of a loss this is as I haven't seen them being sold for about 6 months now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't really believe those specs myself but I'm not in the market for a 10+" tablet anyway so I wouldn't care if it was somehow the quality of an IMAX screen in a 10".

As for Samsung, I think it's mostly in the US that Samsung hasn't done nearly as well in tabletspace as they have in phone. Not sure.

Honestly, the same happened with me. I forgot HTC ever did tablets so I'm not sure how much of a loss this is as I haven't seen them being sold for about 6 months now.

The Flyer was a decent little tablet, but the lack of including a stylus and the ridiculous price, I think it was around $600, with the stylus being $70 made it ridiculous. I picked one up for $200 (with the stylus) and it was alright. The stylus was more of a gimmick and it didn't have enough pen resolution to make it useful. My one year old loved it, though, I have an Evernote skitch notebook full of him scribbling.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No clue. SA auto appended it. Is this something new this forum is doing for shortening long URL's? It was definitely a Google.com address when I posted it.

Edit: Mother fucker, it's something XDA is doing.
Hahahha holy poo poo. Yesterday I copied something from my lovely local news site, and when I pasted it, it appended "Read more at" and the url to the text. What a dirty trick.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm thinking about picking up a Nexus 7 today. Is the rumored 32 gig likely to just be a storage upgrade or is there any other reason I should wait for it instead?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

loudog999 posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Nexus 7 today. Is the rumored 32 gig likely to just be a storage upgrade or is there any other reason I should wait for it instead?

No one knows.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
My 16 GB Nexus 7 has been getting sluggish lately and I've been reading that this can happen if the storage is almost full. It's running CM10 M2 (4.1.2). Looking at the screenshot below, I can't figure out where a lot of the space is being used. It only shows 4.13 GB free, but everything else it shows doesn't come anywhere near close to 9 GB. I'm assuming something has to be using that space. I only have two nandroid backups and I don't know what else it would be.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

letsgoflyers81 posted:

My 16 GB Nexus 7 has been getting sluggish lately and I've been reading that this can happen if the storage is almost full. It's running CM10 M2 (4.1.2). Looking at the screenshot below, I can't figure out where a lot of the space is being used. It only shows 4.13 GB free, but everything else it shows doesn't come anywhere near close to 9 GB. I'm assuming something has to be using that space. I only have two nandroid backups and I don't know what else it would be.

Backups can be >1GB, so it isn't totally impossible that's where your missing space went.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So, an updated T-Mobile end of year roadmap leaked, and it doesn't seem to have any new Nexus devices on it whatsoever.

That could mean nothing, I'm not familiar with T-Mobile's roadmap procedures and whether they would list unannounced devices or not, but it doesn't look like they have a lot of exciting stuff coming up.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/new-t-mobile-roadmap-shows-possible-release-dates-for-windows-phone-8x-lg-optimus-l9/

EDIT: Uhm, wait, this doesn't seem to be the phone thread. Whoops.

Octopode fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 13, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Octopode posted:

So, an updated T-Mobile end of year roadmap leaked, and it doesn't seem to have any new Nexus devices on it whatsoever.

That could mean nothing, I'm not familiar with T-Mobile's roadmap procedures and whether they would list unannounced devices or not, but it doesn't look like they have a lot of exciting stuff coming up.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/new-t-mobile-roadmap-shows-possible-release-dates-for-windows-phone-8x-lg-optimus-l9/
Not sure if you missed the phone thread on accident or what, but this isn't terribly surprising. T-Mobile doesn't sell the Galaxy Nexus either so I don't see why a new one would be on their roadmap. The GSM version is purchased directly from Google.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Any apps that store their respective app data in cache wont show on that list either, the big one being Google Music.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
My Nexus 7 still hasn't received the new update. It should have gotten it by now, right?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

BarkingSquirrel posted:

My Nexus 7 still hasn't received the new update. It should have gotten it by now, right?

You can clear the data in your Google Framework Services in Settings > Apps > All. I did that and the updates (the new version of the Play store and 4.1.2) came up instantly. Clearing the framework just reset a few minor preferences- I haven't see any negative effects of doing it.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Siroc posted:

You can clear the data in your Google Framework Services in Settings > Apps > All. I did that and the updates (the new version of the Play store and 4.1.2) came up instantly. Clearing the framework just reset a few minor preferences- I haven't see any negative effects of doing it.
That worked. Thank you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Android Police claims to have gotten a tip from someone who works at Staples.

Apparently, the 32GB Nexus 7 will drop on October 18th and be $248.37 for their business customers.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What do people think of these Android Mini PCs?

Any experiences?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I went ahead and bought the 16gb Nexus 7 for $250. I am loving it so far. My iPad 3, even though I love it and the screen is beautiful, was just too cumbersome to carry as an ereader, this thing is perfect.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

loudog999 posted:

I went ahead and bought the 16gb Nexus 7 for $250. I am loving it so far. My iPad 3, even though I love it and the screen is beautiful, was just too cumbersome to carry as an ereader, this thing is perfect.

You know the iPad mini is (almost certainly) coming in about a week, right?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

clockworx posted:

You know the iPad mini is (almost certainly) coming in about a week, right?

Yeah, but I'm not interested in another ios device. My iphone and ipad have me covered on any ios apps I want, and my Nexus with any android. Also, emulators without the need to constantly worrying about updating vs jailbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
http://news.yahoo.com/google-99-nexus-tablet-reportedly-launch-ahead-holidays-131545094.html

The guys with the the $99 Nexus rumor are still insisting it's happening, hitting before the holidays, and they're getting specific with the part vendors.