Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Amandyke posted:

Sadly California makes fun mods either difficult or expensive (tickets, ref's etc)

Do you happen to have a dyno sheet Bob?

Yeah, I imagine the EWG would give you a pretty massive boost in power with a bigger turbo (10-15% minimum - I got about 500 rpm in spool reduction and almost 20% with my VF48).

Dyno graph per request:

Edit: it looks like I didn't remember the numbers right, apologies - ~323 on low boost, and 342 on high boost, torque approximately the same; posts have been corrected accordingly. The EWG spring is still set at ~14.5 (sport mode is just above wastegate pressure at 16 psi). Sport# is 18 psi.

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

BobTheFerret posted:

Yeah, I imagine the EWG would give you a pretty massive boost in power with a bigger turbo (10-15% minimum - I got about 500 rpm in spool reduction and almost 20% with my VF48).

Dyno graph per request:

Edit: it looks like I didn't remember the numbers right, apologies - ~323 on low boost, and 342 on high boost, torque approximately the same; posts have been corrected accordingly. The EWG spring is still set at ~14.5 (sport mode is just above wastegate pressure at 16 psi). Sport# is 18 psi.

Nice and smooth. I spool a few hundred rpm sooner, but you can see where my tuner had some trouble with the combination of 8.9:1 compression and a legacy gt sized intake tube (which should give better resolution at higher flow rates iirc).

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Bought one of these for some reason, possibly mental illness.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kaws! posted:

Bought one of these for some reason, possibly mental illness.

Holy poo poo man, you found a way to make a SVX look like crap. We demand more pics!

(I have this feeling I know who you got the car from, those wheels are familiar)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Always funny to compare turbo dyno charts to NA dyno charts.

109 furious horses.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

BobTheFerret posted:

P&L Intake/larger MAF sensor
Fully heat-tape wrapped larger tmic (Spearco)
TGV deletes
1000CC injectors (with a DW 300 pump)
Turboxs uppipe and downpipe
44mm tial external wastegate (vent to atmosphere - this makes a HUGE difference in power, especially on a larger turbo, since it can essentially act like an exhaust cutout. Take a look at dyno comparisons with this and you'll get an idea of what a difference it can make)

We have pretty similar setups in this regard. My EWG is plumbed back into the downpipe because I live in Brooklyn and that level of noise won't be acceptable here. This may cost some horsepower or not, depending on who you ask.

I've got:
FP Green HTA
TGV Deletes
3" Turbo Inlet
TurboXS downpipe
Grimmspeed uppipe
KStech CAI
1100cc injectors
fuel rails/pump/fuel pressure regulator
upgraded oil pump
Process West top mount intercooler
38mm Tial EWG plumbed into downpipe
Grimmspeed crank pulley (no gain from this part as far as I can tell)

Probably also several other things I can't think of right now, as car is turning into the ship of Theseus. I'm using the stock STi axleback exhaust for sleepier appearance. I've heard the piping is not even full 2.5" on the axleback and I'd probably pick up 10-15 wtq from a true 3" straight through exhaust, but this is my daily and exhaust rules are pretty harshly enforced here.

Here the car is on the dyno, taking a brief break from being stolen by the scumbags in my neighborhood. The new PAS dyno is allegedly a "heartbreaker", at least as compared to the one they used to use at No Limit Motorsports.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 15, 2012

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Roman Rambo posted:

We have pretty similar setups in this regard. My EWG is plumbed back into the downpipe (a controversial topic in some places) because I live in Brooklyn and that level of noise won't be acceptable here. This may cost some horsepower or not, depending on who you ask.

I ended up getting a piece of tubing fabbed with a 2-foot long fiberglass straight-through muffler installed - cost about $140, but it's fantastic at controlling the sound compared to what it was before (it gets louder, but not unacceptably horribly loud like it used to with the EWG open). No loss of flow as well.

I actually kept the stock axleback for noise reasons, so the atmospheric dump is also a little more necessary for flow - I used to live in a historic district (strict noise regulations) and now in a dense condo complex, so I definitely don't want something loud that will rattle the neighbors' walls every time I come and go.

vvv Yeah, if you have real inspections or serious penalties like in California, it's completely impractical. We just have OBD2 checks in Arizona (every 2 years), which are quite easy to pass.

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 15, 2012

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I've thought about the muffler thing. I worry that it will have issues passing inspection since it is essentially an exhaust cutout, even if it goes through a separate muffler. I suppose that it is just a matter of what inspector looks at the thing, or if he even does look at it.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 15, 2012

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a cheap exhaust system in Canada? I pretty much need everything from the headers back on my 1999 Forester.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I am apparently a terrible negotiator.

My girlfriend has been car shopping more or less all summer and finally decided to wait on the Crosstek's release. We went into the dealer to look at one over the weekend and she decided to pull the trigger. After some time looking over options she had placed an order through the dealer for a Limited dark gray/black leather Crosstek w/ nav and moonroof. She's been driving a dying Civic Hybrid up to this point and is really looking forward to having something we can take to the mountain or throw bikes in the back of.

The base price + options came out to ~$28k and I sort of figured we didn't have much room to negotiate since the car is so new and they've been flying out of the lot. The dealer adjusted markup for the single car they had on the lot that hadn't sold yet was like $1500 so I guess I thought that only paying base price would be fair. I was also expecting that she would take a look at the cars on the lot and decide she needed to think about it some more so I didn't prepare by doing as much research as I should have going into it.

We agreed that the $28k price sounded good and the salesperson put the order in for her with no obligations.

Now... my question is, now that I've looked up the invoice price on edmunds and can see that the invoice price is ~$1800 less and the "real market value" is $800 less, what're the chances if we call the salesperson and say we'd like to reconsider the price, how much negotiating power do we have at this point? nothing has been signed so I guess worst case scenario we'd maybe burn a bridge with the dealership and have to re-place the order with another dealership in town?

Does anyone have experience with something like this? I should also mention that her mom just purchased a new Outback from this same dealership (different salesperson) only a month ago.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

MMD3 posted:

Now... my question is, now that I've looked up the invoice price on edmunds and can see that the invoice price is ~$1800 less and the "real market value" is $800 less, what're the chances if we call the salesperson and say we'd like to reconsider the price, how much negotiating power do we have at this point? nothing has been signed so I guess worst case scenario we'd maybe burn a bridge with the dealership and have to re-place the order with another dealership in town?

If you have nothing in writing, worst case scenario is you'll piss off the salesperson. Most likely though, they'll come back to you with a better offer, especially since you're still way above invoice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Four Banger posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a cheap exhaust system in Canada? I pretty much need everything from the headers back on my 1999 Forester.

Junkyard? Pick Your Part here always has Foresters.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I was a dumbass and left my carkeys by the mailbox. They were gone today, how screwed am I in terms of getting Subaru to re-key the car?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This may eventually be Horrible Mechanical Failures fodder, but I've been playing with the notion of building my own cruise control. What sort of vehicle bus does Subaru use, and where can I find documentation on it?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Holy poo poo man, you found a way to make a SVX look like crap. We demand more pics!

(I have this feeling I know who you got the car from, those wheels are familiar)

Where there is a will there is a way!

Hopefully those wheels don't look familiar, as I bought it with stockies and sprayed these in my front yard with cans from the local art shop like a true Subaru enthusiast.

It was found on the side of the road in Sydney with a broken engine due to some spastic replacing the injector seals wrong that resulted in bent rods due to hydrolock.

Got it from a workshop in Sydney after driving an EG33 up from Canberra. I got the S3ARs for $120 with tyres and sprayed them in the driveway. The workshop I got it from had some S3ARs, but they weren't quite advertised at the $120 mark.

Its just like owning any other Subaru really, just a little more ugly looking. Just got back from a 20 hour trip form Canberra to Sydney and back for some work; I wish the SVX was sorted because it would have made for a nice drive rather then the shitbox work Holden Astra.

kaws! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 17, 2012

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

blargle posted:

I was a dumbass and left my carkeys by the mailbox. They were gone today, how screwed am I in terms of getting Subaru to re-key the car?

A good locksmith would be able to take apart one of the locks and reproduce a key for you. No need to rekey the car.

Or do you have a car with chipkeys.... Then you'd still need to have a locksmith figure out what key you have, then have subaru make them, and reprogram your car to those chip keys. That is expensive. Get a spare this time.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 16, 2012

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

blargle posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get a new key cut at the dealership if you give them the VIN. I did this with my old toyota, and my friends old RS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chrisgt posted:

A good locksmith would be able to take apart one of the locks and reproduce a key for you. No need to rekey the car.

Or do you have a car with chipkeys.... Then you'd still need to have a locksmith figure out what key you have, then have subaru make them, and reprogram your car to those chip keys. That is expensive. Get a spare this time.

I think he's less concerned about having a key to use since presumably he has a spare and more concerned about someone out there with a set of his keys who also knows where he lives.

That's why he would want the locks re-keyed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On my 06 WRX keys at least the chip is removable and could probably be inserted into a new key.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

bull3964 posted:

I think he's less concerned about having a key to use since presumably he has a spare and more concerned about someone out there with a set of his keys who also knows where he lives.

That's why he would want the locks re-keyed.

Ok, fair enough. But if you have new keys made. They'll have a new RFID tag in them. And even though the old key will turn in the ignition, it won't start the car. I guess there there's the issue of security in your car. That sucks pretty hard.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

blargle posted:

That sucks man. Have you checked the lost and found part of Craigslist? Or the office ( if you live in an apartment ) I open someone decent found them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kaws! posted:

Where there is a will there is a way!

Hopefully those wheels don't look familiar, as I bought it with stockies and sprayed these in my front yard with cans from the local art shop like a true Subaru enthusiast.

Ahhhh so you have had it for a bit? Then if you know Ben Neal / Ichiban Imports then I have seen it.

Some of you are aware KB and I now have this ...

A MY00 RX. Yes, it's going to be be the next gravel racer. But before that happens..... how easy is it to shove MY06 suspension and brakes into this, icluding the front alloy control arms?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yeah, I called the dealer and it's about $100 for a new spare key without keyless entry, and $52 to reprogram all the keys. Having all the locks changed would probably be hilariously expensive so I'm not going to do that, since it's a chip key they can open the doors but can't drive it away.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Ahhhh so you have had it for a bit? Then if you know Ben Neal / Ichiban Imports then I have seen it.

Some of you are aware KB and I now have this ...

A MY00 RX. Yes, it's going to be be the next gravel racer. But before that happens..... how easy is it to shove MY06 suspension and brakes into this, icluding the front alloy control arms?

Yep, got it from Ben for a steal. Had a EG33 sitting around doing not much so it worked out well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Front control arms from a GD sedan (GG wagons are the same as GCs) on a GC will widen the front track. You might have to carry the front axles over as well.

Struts, I think you might have to egg out the existing strut holes for the studs to fit into.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Front control arms from a GD sedan (GG wagons are the same as GCs) on a GC will widen the front track. You might have to carry the front axles over as well.

Struts, I think you might have to egg out the existing strut holes for the studs to fit into.

Axles will be no problem, filing holes no problem considering. Wider track front / rear is exactly what we want.

If brakes are an easy fit then we're gold

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Isn't Ben the mechanical stig for MightyCarMods?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Axles will be no problem, filing holes no problem considering. Wider track front / rear is exactly what we want.

If brakes are an easy fit then we're gold
Brakes should be an easy fit; local people put surplus JDM 4pots onto JDM GCs for rally purposes all the time. They are the biggest possible brakes that fit under 15s as I'm absolutely sure you know.

If you're swapping the motor look out for the radiator and fans; the NA radiator is so drat thin and the fans are single speed.

4pot info: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t62893-diy-4-2-piston-calipers-rs.html

In case you need it here's a link on how to convert rear drums to discs: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t144728-diy-drum-disc-brake-conversion.html

I can order and ship the Kartboy bracket if for some reason you can't get it shipped to Australia.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2012

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Sockington posted:

Isn't Ben the mechanical stig for MightyCarMods?

Ben is indeed the mechanical stig.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kaws! posted:

Ben is indeed the mechanical stig.

Whoa. My Internet browsing/watching has come full circle. :3:

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I had the car dynoed with EWG venting to atmosphere and then a couple of days later with it redirected into the exhaust. The conditions were substantially the same on both days, perhaps a few degrees cooler on the vent to atmosphere date.

HTA FP Green, 93 octane pump gas, stock internals, Process West top mount intercooler, all other supporting mods, 38mm EWG venting to atmosphere:

Same deal, but EWG redirected into exhaust (no boost plot on this second one):

This is a low reading dyno - stock STi comes in at around 200 to 210whp.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 18, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Where can the pop clips that are used for the engine cover, under body cover and various spots be bought at a reasonable price? I believe there are two types: some with cutouts for phillips head screw drivers in the top, and some that are completely flat on the top. Is there a difference in use, size or quality between the flat and phillips tops, or are they interchangeable?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In my experience, go to the dealer and they'll hand you a bag of 'em for free.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Safety Dance posted:

In my experience, go to the dealer and they'll hand you a bag of 'em for free.

What happpens is that certain parts packages come in kits. For example, the head gasket parts kit comes with valve cover gaskets, a donut gasket for the exhaust, and spring bolts. The ones that don't get used end up laying around the shop.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Splinter posted:

Where can the pop clips that are used for the engine cover, under body cover and various spots be bought at a reasonable price? I believe there are two types: some with cutouts for phillips head screw drivers in the top, and some that are completely flat on the top. Is there a difference in use, size or quality between the flat and phillips tops, or are they interchangeable?

http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Bumper...subaru+fastener

9 dollars for 15 subaru specific ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

7 dollars for 40 generics. I'm going to order a generic box once my 30 subaru ones are used up.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks. Ordering some right now

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

After a couple of years, I've finally pulled the pin on new wheels for my 08 LGT.

Enkei EKM3's in gunmetal.

They look awesome, and yes, I do work in a lovely neighborhood.

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010
Hello subie goons, I grabbed a brand new wrx a month and a half ago and I am now in the market for accessport. If I bought the perrin, does it still come with the cobb maps/ability to download them or are they wiped?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Rocketmoose posted:

Hello subie goons, I grabbed a brand new wrx a month and a half ago and I am now in the market for accessport. If I bought the perrin, does it still come with the cobb maps/ability to download them or are they wiped?

What perrin product did you buy? Intake, downpipe, etc etc? Any maps you need for the accessport should be available on cobb's website. Unless you want a map specific to a certain intake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
just noticed smoke coming from my engine bay the other day on my 2005 Saabaru, popped the hood and saw coolant splashed on the radiator & coolant reservoir, took it into the shop. $600 later I have a new radiator and thermostat :( my non-engineering minded self is just sitting here thinking why can't they figure out how to make a longer lasting radiator? My car has 85k miles, here's hoping I'll never have to replace it again. At the same time I had them check my brakes and it turns out I needed new front rotors and pads so that was another $400... fun fun.