Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

So, I'm pretty much done with tekin escs... I have two RX8s I need to send in, after I get replacements they'll be up for sale cheap if someone wants them.

any word on your replacements? i might be interested in one of those Rx8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
While I still drive my Stampede VXL 4x4 around occasionally (except the ESC cooling fan on the Mamba Max Pro took a dump), I found myself all caught up in flying by accident. Started out with a HobbyZone Supercub. Crashed it a number of times, rebuilt it, and now it just does death spirals.
I bought a Mini Cub which I fly regularly with good success.
Last week I bought the Phoenix 4.0 Flight Sim with a Spektrum DX5e transmitter (and had to dump $250 into my computer to make it work) and have been flying on that ever since.
I just ordered a Parkzone Corsair Brushless setup.

Do we have a thread for aerial RC stuff?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TotalLossBrain posted:

Do we have a thread for aerial RC stuff?

It's in DIY & Hobbies. I don't know why this thread isn't in there. I had no idea it existed until I searched for RC stuff the other day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

any word on your replacements? i might be interested in one of those Rx8s

Haven't gotten RMA's for them yet, kinda forgot about it after getting that new esc. I'll try to get them replaced in the next few weeks, their turnaround is a little slow though so could be a month or more before I get them back :(.

I will list them for sale when I have the new ones.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
no worries; In my losi scte I use a hobbywing sct pro, it gets the job done however the sensor port is so lose that it shakes itself out and becomes sensorless. its driving me crazy, So i'm looking for something to replace it. I thought at first it might have been the tekin pro4 motor, but it has the same problems on a 4pole hobbywing motor I have as well.

in short, I need a new esc for my losi 4x4 anyone have any suggestions?

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 10, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like the RC racing bug is about to bite me again.

At my local club they are starting to run a VTA (Vintage Touring Car) class. The idea behind it is you run a body shell of a car that was run in either the American or Australian touring car races during the 60s and early 70s. You also have to run tyres with a tread pattern and (for on road touring) large side walls. The bodies have to be painted in designs that were similar to what was run in those classes.

The motors used in it are the 21.5T blinky brushless motors, which means you have relatively slow, but sideways action with the tyres. Might be fun to drag the Tamiya 415 out again and give it a bash in this class.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

no worries; In my losi scte I use a hobbywing sct pro, it gets the job done however the sensor port is so lose that it shakes itself out and becomes sensorless. its driving me crazy, So i'm looking for something to replace it. I thought at first it might have been the tekin pro4 motor, but it has the same problems on a 4pole hobbywing motor I have as well.

in short, I need a new esc for my losi 4x4 anyone have any suggestions?

RMA process has started on those esc's, will keep you updated :)

For your SCTE I'd be looking at one of two ESCs - the RX8 or a Castle Mamba Max Pro. 4x4sct is notoriously tough on electronics. The trucks are heavy, powered by insane motors, and only driven by a 2s battery... By running 1/8th oriented electronics you're at least giving them a shot at holding up to the abuse.

The MMP is 'designed' for 1/10th scale but it's a seriously stout little esc. There's a bunch of them out there in 1/8th buggies (hell it's what AE puts in the SC8e!) and they hold up great. That's what I ended up throwing in the Tekno and it's been fine.

Honestly I really like the Tekin hotwire interface, and never had ANY trouble with that esc in my SC104x4. The thing is crazy adjustable and the newer revisions are fairly robust. I never ran a fan on the thing either and it always stayed cool. The SCTE is heavier than the SC104x4 though so you may want to leave it on if you go that route.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

RMA process has started on those esc's, will keep you updated :)

For your SCTE I'd be looking at one of two ESCs - the RX8 or a Castle Mamba Max Pro. 4x4sct is notoriously tough on electronics. The trucks are heavy, powered by insane motors, and only driven by a 2s battery... By running 1/8th oriented electronics you're at least giving them a shot at holding up to the abuse.

The MMP is 'designed' for 1/10th scale but it's a seriously stout little esc. There's a bunch of them out there in 1/8th buggies (hell it's what AE puts in the SC8e!) and they hold up great. That's what I ended up throwing in the Tekno and it's been fine.

Honestly I really like the Tekin hotwire interface, and never had ANY trouble with that esc in my SC104x4. The thing is crazy adjustable and the newer revisions are fairly robust. I never ran a fan on the thing either and it always stayed cool. The SCTE is heavier than the SC104x4 though so you may want to leave it on if you go that route.

cool man, I have two mamba max pros and know they are awesome (so far) looking at a rx8 mostly because I love trying new things.

Are you still running 1/8th buggy nitro? I know you sold your rc8b but you seemed to really enjoy it. I just took to the smell of nitro myself and bought a used mugen mbx6r, now i'm just figuring out what engine i should get, to which i have no idea. Like to have something that is reliable but wont break the bank. Maybe a Alpha 21 F850 + EFRA 2081 Pipe Set Combo, which i'm told is the same as the re-branded orion but cheaper.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

cool man, I have two mamba max pros and know they are awesome (so far) looking at a rx8 mostly because I love trying new things.

Are you still running 1/8th buggy nitro? I know you sold your rc8b but you seemed to really enjoy it. I just took to the smell of nitro myself and bought a used mugen mbx6r, now i'm just figuring out what engine i should get, to which i have no idea. Like to have something that is reliable but wont break the bank. Maybe a Alpha 21 F850 + EFRA 2081 Pipe Set Combo, which i'm told is the same as the re-branded orion but cheaper.

The RX8 is a great esc, I don't know if I got a couple lemons or what but they have been pretty solid overall. REALLY like the hotwire interface and all the settings you can tweak on (although needing to have a laptop with you at the track is kind of annoying).

Yep, still running nitro :). It's kind of winding down now that we're getting close to winter, but I do plan on running the 1/8th winter series over at Omaha's huge indoor track. Might be a bit chilly but those engines should make a ton of power in cold weather!

I built a Losi 8ight 2.0 awhile back and have been incredibly happy with its performance and durability. Your Mugen is a great car... that was actually my second choice behind the Losi. I had a MBX6 converted to electric with a Tekno v4 kit awhile ago and it was built like a brick shithouse. Handled very well too. You'll love it!

Regarding engines, unfortunately I've found that you pretty much get what you pay for in the nitro world :saddowns:. I had high hopes for my first engine - a Werks B6 + 2058 pipe. They're reasonably price, and ran GREAT for about 2 gallons. Tons of power, idled perfect, pretty easy to tune even for a newb like me. Just after the 2 gallon thing just would not hold a tune, wouldn't idle, etc etc. Turns out the front bearing took a poo poo and was sucking air. It ingested enough dirt the piston/sleeve were basically toast.

Got an OS Speed .19 / OS 2090 pipeset and it's been pretty good. Wore out pretty fast though, it needs a sleeve pinch and I think it'd be fine. Ran awesome for ~4 gallons. I'm now running a used old OS VZ-B that someone modded. Thing freakin RIPS and runs like a drat champ.

Basically nitro is a ridiculous money pit and you're constantly working on the cars and engines. But when everything comes together... it's awesome. Nothing like a pack of nitros screaming down a straight :)

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Heh, funny you mentioned werks, I just got myself a used werks b6pro with a 2058 pipe. It's got less than two gallons on it. I hope I have better luck with it, been reading up on a few nitro engines and its not the first time I heard about the front bearing going on the werks b6 as well.

It's got less than 2 gallons on it and I only paid 95 bucks on it, hope its good.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Hey guys, selling my complete HPI Blitz operation! Everything you need to start bashing, or racing in your local Stock SCT class!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512090

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Seems like this belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXXC5Lpo04

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So how does one find a place to go r/c car racing. I'm now about an hour from where I was, and the track I was going to was another 45 minutes from there.

Are tracks just that rare? I think I have four slot car tracks I can chose from. But nothing for r/c.

I'm in melrose park, Il. if that helps.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nerobro posted:

So how does one find a place to go r/c car racing. I'm now about an hour from where I was, and the track I was going to was another 45 minutes from there.

Are tracks just that rare? I think I have four slot car tracks I can chose from. But nothing for r/c.

Check the RC Tech forums. There are some good region sub forums there, you might be able to find a track there

rctech.net

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Nerobro posted:

Ask at hobby shops, google for "(your city/nearby cities/county) rc racing"

Years ago when I lived in California there weren't any real tracks around my area, but a bunch of the hobby shops had races on the weekends where they would set up road tracks in the parking lot.

Also there aren't very many real hobby shops anymore :(

Up here (WA) I guess there's a really nice offroad track and a dirt oval and a nearby indoor carpet track about 30 minutes away from me. But I only JUST rediscovered how much fun this stuff is, and pretty much missed any chance to go see some races until next spring.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

That's a pretty cool piece of design, I really wanted to see him flog it over some jumps or cars or something though.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
Doug, we are having a big scale event on the 27th. you should load up the east side crew and head over!

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Great car chase made with RC cars (and helicopter) :

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/watch-massive-rc-chase-2012-10-17

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Evil_Ash posted:

Doug, we are having a big scale event on the 27th. you should load up the east side crew and head over!

Hmm...let me check out the crawler forums. Not sure if I can personally swing it that weekend, but I'll promote it to our club members. I wish you guys lived closer so I could bring my sled out for truck pulling. I see you have a few guys really wanting to do it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

Heh, funny you mentioned werks, I just got myself a used werks b6pro with a 2058 pipe. It's got less than two gallons on it. I hope I have better luck with it, been reading up on a few nitro engines and its not the first time I heard about the front bearing going on the werks b6 as well.

It's got less than 2 gallons on it and I only paid 95 bucks on it, hope its good.

Hope it works out for you :ohdear:. It was a badass engine when it ran, just didn't last long. The 2058 is one awesome sounding pipe though.... super mean sounding!

Nerobro posted:

As mentioned before one of the best places to check for tracks is on rctech. It's a cesspool and you'll have to dig through a lot of crap to get the info you want, but it is probably on there.

Looks like you're not too far away from Leisure Hours in Joliet ... that's an outstanding track and is probably going to be one of your best bets in the Chicagoland area. I'm not aware of anything further north than LH, but do know of a couple tracks south of there in IL.

Minor update... raced the 1/12th onroad car for the first time last weekend. WHAT A loving BLAST! I really wish there was a carpet track closer to me... I'd probably not run much offroad if there was. As it is, I can really see 1/12th making me a better racer overall. They're so responsive and everything happens so goddamn fast. We're "only" running 13.5t blinky but drat. Those cars certainly carry some freakin corner speed!

Pretty happy with the CRC Xi so far, just need to get more trigger time in behind it. Going from offroad to one of the faster onroad classes may have not been the brightest idea but hey it's fun :).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I did not have a good experience at leisure hours. I stopped by during Living Legends, and the guys in the pro-shop were... not pleasant.

"Hey, what classes do you run." and the responses were short, sharp, and vague. "1/10 blinky, 1/10 modified" and a variety of other cryptic responses, all said with speed and a stutter. I wanted to find out what it would take to race there. I left knowing I was a bother because I wasn't "in the know."

At Harbor Hobbies up in Winthrop harbor were happy to explain their popular classes, what chassis were competitive, and what nights the racing was on. And what was a good starter setup.

Which I now own... (Tamiya Mini M05) but I can't spent the 90 minutes to drive there on race nights.

They also were very happy to let me run my 1/24th scale cars on their track.

I just want to run road cars. That's all. Is that to much to ask? :-) I really, really miss my Bolink 91 Sport. It looks like todays equivalent is the Serpent suprstox, or the Mardave chassis.

Edit: Well that's fun. I just mapped both harbor hobbies and lesiure hours. They're both about an hour and ten minutes from my house. Nice.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 18, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Price lowered to 300 bucks! Everything you need to SCT race!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Nerobro posted:

I did not have a good experience at leisure hours. I stopped by during Living Legends, and the guys in the pro-shop were... not pleasant.

"Hey, what classes do you run." and the responses were short, sharp, and vague. "1/10 blinky, 1/10 modified" and a variety of other cryptic responses, all said with speed and a stutter. I wanted to find out what it would take to race there. I left knowing I was a bother because I wasn't "in the know."

At Harbor Hobbies up in Winthrop harbor were happy to explain their popular classes, what chassis were competitive, and what nights the racing was on. And what was a good starter setup.

Which I now own... (Tamiya Mini M05) but I can't spent the 90 minutes to drive there on race nights.

They also were very happy to let me run my 1/24th scale cars on their track.

I just want to run road cars. That's all. Is that to much to ask? :-) I really, really miss my Bolink 91 Sport. It looks like todays equivalent is the Serpent suprstox, or the Mardave chassis.

Edit: Well that's fun. I just mapped both harbor hobbies and lesiure hours. They're both about an hour and ten minutes from my house. Nice.

That sucks :(. I've never actually been to LH but there's a few local (central Iowa) racers who are drat near regulars over there. They've spoken extremely highly of it.

That's one of the things that really irritates me about this hobby... certain tracks/stores are drat near HOSTILE to their customers. When I got started in it I was steered in completely the opposite direction I should have taken, and throwing myself into the race scene (which wasn't attached to the shop) was daunting at best.

Now I'm waaaaaaaay too far into it and see how people running things can get burned out and irritated if they don't have the right personality to deal with the public. I've been maintaining two tracks and directing races since last April and HOPE everyone that runs with us is having a good time :). Started up a novice night with instruction for new racers and I certainly don't mind taking the time to get someone steered in the right direction when it comes equipment choices. If I don't know, I'll tell them so... not just try to sell them something random (and more than likely lovely).

It's a huge pain the rear end and extremely annoying at times, but if the track owners / race directors have the right outlook on things it makes it better for everyone!

/rant

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sorry to hear about that lovely local store. The big store here in St. Louis is a mixed bag but the majority of the R/C counter is staffed by pricks who seem to go out of their way to avoid customers or be condescending. Many of these guys are the same local dickbags that turned me off with racing in the first place.

When I was about 10 years old I had no clue about "hobby grade r/c" and thought all trucks were Nikko styled. My dad brought me into the hobby shop to run my toy Nikko Black Thunder R/C truck on the track. Needless to say, it was atrocious on the track. The owner watched me run a couple laps (nearly breaking my truck with the jumps)and loaned me a gen 1 RC10T to do some laps. I nearly poo poo my pants. After seeing that I could handle the truck my dad bought me a Traxxas Hawk 2 race truck and my brother a just released Traxxas Rustler. I soon started racing in the bi-weekly kids races and I've been involved in the hobby ever since.

I really appreciate that old man behind the counter for helping me get started. Had it been one of these counter jack-offs at my LHS they probably wouldv'e just laughed at the stupid kid trying to drive his toys r us special on "their" race track.

I just don't get how guys like that have jobs where they actually interact with the customer.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
And some of these clowns are the business owners who depend on customers for survival. I'll never understand it. No wonder so many go out of business.

We have one shop like this in Kansas City. The owner is a real dbag.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Sorry to hear about that lovely local store. The big store here in St. Louis is a mixed bag but the majority of the R/C counter is staffed by pricks who seem to go out of their way to avoid customers or be condescending. Many of these guys are the same local dickbags that turned me off with racing in the first place.

When I was about 10 years old I had no clue about "hobby grade r/c" and thought all trucks were Nikko styled. My dad brought me into the hobby shop to run my toy Nikko Black Thunder R/C truck on the track. Needless to say, it was atrocious on the track. The owner watched me run a couple laps (nearly breaking my truck with the jumps)and loaned me a gen 1 RC10T to do some laps. I nearly poo poo my pants. After seeing that I could handle the truck my dad bought me a Traxxas Hawk 2 race truck and my brother a just released Traxxas Rustler. I soon started racing in the bi-weekly kids races and I've been involved in the hobby ever since.

I really appreciate that old man behind the counter for helping me get started. Had it been one of these counter jack-offs at my LHS they probably wouldv'e just laughed at the stupid kid trying to drive his toys r us special on "their" race track.

I just don't get how guys like that have jobs where they actually interact with the customer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I try and support the LHS as much as I can but when they treat you like poo poo it's real easy to just go online. The owners can blame online sales for stealing business when in reality it's really their own fault for making in store customers feel like they are a nuisance. Luckily not all shops are like this.

My other main hobby is that I'm a guitarist who plays out in bars/clubs every weekend (the funny thing is that the money I make playing guitar seems to always equal a new trinket for my scx10!) and many mom and pop music shops are the same. Walk in and you have people treating you like a jerk for even opening the door. Then they blame the big chains for putting them out of business.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Took the Dingo out to a little streambed thing in a local park. Last time I was out it still had the 55turn motor in it and the thing was so slow it wasn't very fun at all. After switching out to the 27 turn it has muuuuch more top end it made cruising around the muddy hills a blast. The 55t motor is still much nicer for crawling—all that torque and low speed control help on tricky rocks. With the 27t it feels very easy to accidentally hit the throttle too hard and launch it.

Here's a terribly picture of it out at the park:

Since I'd had a hankering for a kit, I wandered down to my local hobby shop and wound up walking out with an M-05RA. It's basically the M-05 with a little bit more ride height and some dirt guards.

When I was a kid reading RC Car Action I spent ages fantasizing about the Tamiya mini kits so I figured I'd live out my childhood a bit and get one. Didn't realize that it only came with cheeseball friction dampers and bushings, so I'm waiting for bearings+shocks to come in before I start my build.

Anyone have a basic ESC with LiPo cutoff they'd like to sell me? The one it comes with doesn't have that or a BEC. Either that or a recommendation for something new.

With a growing number of kits I'm thinking about picking up a transmitter with model memory so I don't have to flip teeny switches and adjust trim every time I change things up. Is the Spektrum DX3C any good? Are there cheaper programmable options?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
As awesome as Tamiya is, almost all of their kits come with absolute bare bones stuff (obviously they have some kits that come fitted out but they're just crazy costly).

You're crawler looks awesome.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Question for the everyone.

I've been into nitro for so long and I have electrics but they're all brushed powered by NiCds. I'm a bit tired of messing with nitro and tired of getting complaints running them just about anywhere. I sold them off as a result.

Now to my question, since Christmas is right around the corner a large portion of my discretionary income is going to go toward the kids. What is the cheapest way I can get into lipo and brushless motors on the cheap. Doesn't matter if it's on or offroad. Thanks for the help.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The chinese brushless systems from hobbypartz.com seem to get pretty good reviews, but you'll have to look around a bit to figure out which ones are best for you system. Castle's SCT combos seem like a great deal too: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAETT&P=FR

For lipos I go with roar approved hardcases from hobbypartz or hobbyking. For brushless motor+esc, a couple lipos, and a lipo compatible charger you're probably looking at $250 or so all in.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Powder you should definitely invest a decent radio with model memory. It makes things infinitely easier. You can get an older Spektrum system for dirt cheap as well. Glad you like the 27t. It's just so much more fun.

Those chinese systems work well. While I don't own one I know several friends that have them and they work great. As we've talked about in this thread the only downside is how long the international shipping can take. A friend of mine had one of the nice ones for his 1/8th e-buggy. He burned it up by not using a fan (his fault) and the replacement took around a month so he missed a bunch of racing.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

what's the cheapest way to get a 17.5 or 21.5 brushelsss setup.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

You can get an older Spektrum system for dirt cheap as well.

Any suggestions on models? Seems like most of the old/previous gen ones I've found for cheap only have 2 model memory, which is a little scant. Might just have to wait around a while and see if one of the newer units comes up on Ebay.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

front wing flexing posted:

I've been into nitro for so long and I have electrics but they're all brushed powered by NiCds. I'm a bit tired of messing with nitro and tired of getting complaints running them just about anywhere. I sold them off as a result.

Now to my question, since Christmas is right around the corner a large portion of my discretionary income is going to go toward the kids. What is the cheapest way I can get into lipo and brushless motors on the cheap. Doesn't matter if it's on or offroad. Thanks for the help.
Hobbywing makes cheap kits which get good reviews from my friends who have run it.

Other option is to go second hand. RC Tech has a huge For Sale forum. You usually have people selling top level stuff for nothing there.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Any suggestions on models? Seems like most of the old/previous gen ones I've found for cheap only have 2 model memory, which is a little scant. Might just have to wait around a while and see if one of the newer units comes up on Ebay.

I have a DX 3.0 that has 4 model memory. I've had it for about 4 years now and I love it.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

I've got an HPI Blitz with batteries, brand new 17.5 lipo battery, etc. etc. Everything you need to get into electric. I can sell it to you cheaper than I'm asking, cause you're a fellow SAS poster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

powderific posted:

You should be able to snag a non-dsmx DX6i for under $100 used these days. Lots of options, lcd screen and 10 model memory

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I picked up a bearing set and shocks for the M-05ra at my local shop and they gave me the wrong shock set. I told them they didn't look right and the guy insisted that the dude who pulled them from the shelf raced M chassis cars and knew what they were. And, since they don't have the right shocks in stock, I'd have to wait an unknown number of weeks to get the right ones. And they'll only give me store credit on exchange. Think I'm gonna go back to buying on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's why you need to walk in with the part number. Be sure and tell the owner how disappointed you are with the service.