Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

McDeth posted:

God drat truck drivers. I swear to god, half of them are mentally retarded and the other half seriously have me wondering...

Wanna guess how many cars and pick-ups I've seen hit trucks tough guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Watch out, he'll attack you in a meth-fueled rage!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

auzdark posted:

I found this on my daily surfing on the internet, but I was not able to find a story for it, looks like a terrible case of buffer over run! (I always wanted to see what a train would do to a road haha)

This was posted more than a year ago in this thread, but I had to find the story. Yes, it was a buffer overrun. I found a German railfan talking about it on a forum:

(Note: Google translate)
"The reason was that the Tfzf ran past a stop signal, went on a short siding, ran over the buffer stop, and traveled 170 meters on the road, until it came to a stop. As it happened in the night, there were no other parties involved."

Other pictures:

edit: Hang on, ignore that "story." I found another page saying that this is a 1:87 Marklin model train. Wow, that fooled me!

Brother Jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 16, 2012

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

edit: Hang on, ignore that "story." I found another page saying that this is a 1:87 Marklin model train. Wow, that fooled me!

No, that's just a joke it says that big metal panel lying next to the engine is "obviously" the HO-scale electric pickup shoe (Flsterschleifer). Also I learned a new German word today, thanks.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Brother Jonathan posted:

This was posted more than a year ago in this thread, but I had to find the story. Yes, it was a buffer overrun. I found a German railfan talking about it on a forum:

(Note: Google translate)
"The reason was that the Tfzf ran past a stop signal, went on a short siding, ran over the buffer stop, and traveled 170 meters on the road, until it came to a stop. As it happened in the night, there were no other parties involved."

Other pictures:

There's no way those photos are from a model :shepface:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

No, that's just a joke it says that big metal panel lying next to the engine is "obviously" the HO-scale electric pickup shoe (Flsterschleifer). Also I learned a new German word today, thanks.

Ah. Thanks for the correction. I wish I could read German to find out more about how that happened. Nothing seems to be available in English.

EightBit posted:

There's no way those photos are from a model :shepface:

I was weighing two possibilities: One, this was the most detailed model train I had ever seen, and two, a train jumped a buffer with enough speed to travel 170 meters down a road. I just can't get my mind around the second one!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

Ah. Thanks for the correction. I wish I could read German to find out more about how that happened. Nothing seems to be available in English.

I was weighing two possibilities: One, this was the most detailed model train I had ever seen, and two, a train jumped a buffer with enough speed to travel 170 meters down a road. I just can't get my mind around the second one!

Well, this was from a German web site.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The little engine that could (breathe fire)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoo-MfSUS-w

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone posted that in the GIFs thread in PYF and there was a goon who was able to identify what line that was in Japan. Apparently that happens a LOT there, and it's pretty crazy. Almost looks like they're racing each other :haw:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

~Coxy posted:

Hah, I prefer N scale myself because it always seems to me you can actually have proper lines and geometry in a reasonable amount space.

An uncle in law has a fancy new HO scale layout and even though it takes up most of the room there's only enough space for an elongated oval more and the engine with a few carriages takes up slightly less than half of the total length of the line.
There's a lot you can do with HO (plus there's so much more in the way of equipment and detail parts available for it) to make it look 'natural' in even a small space. I'm personally looking into modular setups to make the most of my space.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zeether posted:

Someone posted that in the GIFs thread in PYF and there was a goon who was able to identify what line that was in Japan. Apparently that happens a LOT there, and it's pretty crazy. Almost looks like they're racing each other :haw:

Yeah, that one is actually photoshopped pretty badly though, but it does happen a lot.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Zeether posted:

If you charter your own train, you can in fact hold a real race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhosPAKEHI&feature=relmfu

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Cygni posted:

Yeah, that one is actually photoshopped pretty badly though, but it does happen a lot.
Is photoshopped code for sped up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkieCbMRn7U

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sped up an the middle portion cut out, yes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just some Russians, push starting a train. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i80zIsRUbRM

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I struggle to believe that's real. Those things weigh around 150-180 tonnes. You can't just push that like that.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
It's also not like the drive wheels are mechanically connected to the engine in any way, they are usually electric motors...right?

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

It's also not like the drive wheels are mechanically connected to the engine in any way, they are usually electric motors...right?

The only thing I can possibly even fathom is that they somehow wired the dynamic brake to feed back into the batteries so they could charge enough to start but even that's extremely :psyboom:.

Some (more modern?) diesel locos have 'jog' mode, where the traction motors can come online for a short period under battery power, avoiding the need to start the engine. It's meant to be used for short yard movements. I'd say they were using that and did the video for a laugh.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

BlackShadow posted:

The only thing I can possibly even fathom is that they somehow wired the dynamic brake to feed back into the batteries so they could charge enough to start but even that's extremely :psyboom:.

Some (more modern?) diesel locos have 'jog' mode, where the traction motors can come online for a short period under battery power, avoiding the need to start the engine. It's meant to be used for short yard movements. I'd say they were using that and did the video for a laugh.

How far could it go on batteries? I used to drive electric buses (with a diesel turbine generator) and those things could only go about 500 feet on battery power before dying. I can't imagine a full-blown locomotive going very far on batteries alone.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Im back, and for that I am sorry

Nam Taf posted:

I struggle to believe that's real. Those things weigh around 150-180 tonnes. You can't just push that like that.

I remember reading a wikipedia article a year or so ago about some older Russian diesel electrics that could be push started. I can't remember which ines for the life of me, though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Nam Taf posted:

Ive pushed an empty coal car by myself before and I weigh 150....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Nam Taf posted:

Steel wheels on steel rail have a gently caress off low rolling friction. How else do you think you can move 20,000 tons with only 12,000 hp?

In one yard I worked, that there was a spot where if there was a gust of wind above 15 mph, cars would roll out on there own to the other end of the yard. That provides some pucker moments!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Steel wheels on steel rail have a gently caress off low rolling friction.

For example, the world record for pulling a train with one's teeth is a pull of 297.1 metric tons over a distance of 2.8 meters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just from an energy point of view I really can't see how four people can put enough kinetic energy into the locomotive in a few seconds to turn over a v16 diesel fast enough to start it. Looking online I found a paper by a capacitor company indicating the crazy large amounts of power required to start a locomotive diesel engine: peaking at 70kW or 2kA at 38V, and it still took 8 seconds with an average draw of around 30kW to start!

I can believe they pushed the locomotive to move it, but someone in the cab hit the starter switch.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Yeah I don't think you can pop the clutch in a locomotive

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Yeah I don't think you can pop the clutch in a locomotive

Wanna bet? :smug:

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
locomotives made by Audi or BL Jaguar excluded.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Norfolk and Westerns J class 4-8-4s were said to be so perfectly balanced and finely built with roller bearings everywhere in the driveline (unusual in any steamer) that they could be pushed by two men. That's a locomotive weighing nearly 400 tons. Incidentally the Virginia museum of transportation held a tug of war competition where two teams pulled on opposite ends of the J class 611. They evidently were able to move it despite having another team working against them.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have been curious about the antenna poles along the track being installed. For a moment today I considered that they might not be just for PTC but for relaying DP radio signals for making trains longer. A short bit of research turns up that these are just for the PTC system to operate.

The antennas are made for the 220mhz range
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=307895

which is inline with info I found here on wikipedia on the Positive
Train Control page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control#Radio_spectrum_availability

which matches information from this 2008 FRA pdf
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/research/PTC_Technical.pdf

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Steel wheels on steel rail have a gently caress off low rolling friction. How else do you think you can move 20,000 tons with only 12,000 hp?

I know this, I design the things.

People can't accelerate that much mass that quickly. All those 'pulling huge weights with teeth' are at a snail's pace. I wasn't referring to them being able to move it, rather that it gained that much momentum that quickly.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Wicaeed posted:

It might be diesel-hydraulic rather than diesel-electric, but that just raises further questions along the lines of "but, but...torque converter!".

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
In 1978 at 8 years old, I was watching Superman the movie. I saw "Otis" (Ned Beatty) is walking in front of old commuter locomotives on his way into Lex Luthor's (Gene Hackman) underground lair.

Even as a child, I knew then how differentials, gearboxes, and driveshafts worked. I had even experimented with electrical circuits and motors. My young mind had a great deal of trouble fathoming how a great diesel engine could transmit it's power through driveshafts, gearboxes, and differentials to 6 axles.

When someone mentioned to me that the diesel used electricity to drive the train, I immediately assumed he only meant light small passenger trains. I assumed these must have much weaker diesels than the giant freight trains which I watched pass over the massive steel trestle next to John Muir's old historic house in Martinez, California.

It is funny the things we think as a child, and the things we remember about it as adults.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

An Amtrak train bound for Detroit derailed on Sunday, thankfully it wasn't too serious.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121021/NEWS06/121021035/Amtrack-train-Chicago-to-Pontiac-derailment-Niles

E: vvv :lol: vvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 22, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
on the plus side, they didn't end up in Detroit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Itzena posted:

It might be diesel-hydraulic rather than diesel-electric, but that just raises further questions along the lines of "but, but...torque converter!".

And that's not all of it. There are even some locomotives that use honest to goodness gears to drive the wheels. And hilariously complex transmissions to make it all work. Even multiple engines, driving a differential so one engine can shut down. Freaking germans...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

B4Ctom1 posted:

I assumed these must have much weaker diesels than the giant freight trains which I watched pass over the massive steel trestle next to John Muir's old historic house in Martinez, California.

Cool, I went to high school in Pleasant Hill (College Park).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Back to the push-starting a Diesel-electric locomotive:

quote:

Don Oltmand is right [previous poster- "You could - with a DC main gen -, if you had enough residual magnetism in the TM field coils or had enough oomp in the batteries to provide some magnetic field." .

Not that you can do it on all locomotives with DC generators but on older GP-7 locomotives with dynamic brakes you could get the engine rolling, plug the motors put it in notch 1 (or manually pickup the battery field) and the generator will rotate (hopefully in the right direction). hopefully you have just enough battery voltage to keep the main power contactors and the B contactor picked up ! If not you must block them in with bits of wood. The reverser and braking contactor can be thown manually and will stay where it is put.

On non dynamic engines I would usually take some auto motive jumper cables and short the traction motor fields together taking the place of the missing braking contactor.

I need to qualify the fact that the only locomotives I've done this way are GP-7s and 9s , it may be possible to do it on others but I have no experience doing it.

Many DC locomotive generators are getting scarce , not because of scrapping or burning out . The EMD DC generators make excellent motors for conveyor belts and drilling rigs..

I personally don't know if any of this is true/makes sense.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/205121.aspx?sort=ASC&pi332=1

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Wanna guess how many cars and pick-ups I've seen hit trucks tough guy?

I'm not talking about trucks vs. cars, I'm talking abou trucks vs. trains. How the gently caress does a truck driver manage to drive into the side of a train? Oblivious? Clinically blind?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

McDeth posted:

How the gently caress does a truck driver manage to drive into the side of a train? Oblivious? Clinically blind?

Must be related to these morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tired, plus dirty windshield, plus off-white train cars, plus bad lighting almost did it for me. I suddenly realized that I couldn't see the road ahead of me. I was distracted by the red lights off to the side of the road that I didn't realize were on the engine. This was in the city.

Actually my windshield wasn't even that dirty.

My brother was in a similar situation except it was a dirt road with no lighting at all, and he actually did hit the train.

Of course these were both on uncontrolled, barely used crossings. At night.