Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Shut up and use Simple Green and Testor's Dullcote)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Manifest posted:

Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Shut up and use Simple Green and Testor's Dullcote)

Winson, make this happen please!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Indolent Bastard posted:

80's 'eavy Metal version.

Gave it a go...
... Came out 50% old school 50% hot dog stand.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Shut up, I can't buy Simple Green or Testor's Dullcote)

VogeGandire posted:

I don't varnish my models.

I tried the GW spray stuff and it full-on ruined a unit of Chaos Warriors, so I've never tried again.
GW Purity Seal: Try it, you'll never use another varnish again! you'll be afraid to

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you use airbrush undercoat you really need to varnish.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If you use airbrush undercoat you really need to varnish.

There we go.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

VogeGandire posted:

I don't varnish my models.

I tried the GW spray stuff and it full-on ruined a unit of Chaos Warriors, so I've never tried again.

Hobby Lobby and other stores sell clear coat for cheap.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I occasionally see someone who obviously didn't varnish their models.
It's sad because nice paintjobs are often ruined by chipped paint from traveling to and from countless games.
Varnish is like having Ret style shields on your minis. That whole thing has to wear off before your paint takes any damage.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I usually don't varnish my models either. I don't really think it's completely necessary as long as you're reasonably careful when handling them (and they've had a proper undercoat). They've stood up to years of gaming with very few touch-ups, and it's usually the metal models that pick up some battle damage, which varnish probably wouldn't prevent anyway.

That being said, it's definitely not a bad idea to varnish your stuff, and I do varnish all my 15mm stuff (with ArmyPainter matte).

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

krushgroove posted:

Also, can someone measure their Screamers of Tzeentch? Length, width and thickness? I want to try molding some daemon stuff and they're one of the things I'd like to make for sure.

Average tip of teeth to tip of tail 4"

Length of main body tips to gums 1-1/2"(1.5) to 1-3/4"(1.75)

Width 1-1/2"(1.5) to 1-5/8"(1.625)

Thickness is about 0.5" thick. They are thin lil' guys. At most 1" if you include the tallest shark fin.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I don't varnish my models, but then again I don't play, so they mostly just sit there. Though I am slightly worried about when I eventually move.

This weekend I dusted absolutely everything I have ever painted. Some of this poo poo has been un-dusted for like 8 plus years, sitting in the open. Hundreds of O&G, now nice and clean and bright.

I look forward to the day I have nice, wide glass curio with properly spaced shelves.

And random stuff, now dust free:

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012
What would people recommend as the best games workshop varnish option?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

None. Or spray them with deodorant. Why does it have to be GW? There is a reason everyone is posting about Testor's.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dishwasherlove posted:

None. Or spray them with deodorant. Why does it have to be GW? There is a reason everyone is posting about Testor's.
Oh look. A Wargamer who doesn't know what deodorant is for. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

acetone

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

dishwasherlove posted:

There is a reason everyone is posting about Testor's.

Testors Dullcote is the best.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Feeple posted:

I find a roll-on better than spray. Easier application to the wet palette so I can thin it for superior results.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Feeple posted:

:golfclap:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I use Army Painter matte varnish. Works pretty drat good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Krylon Matte Finish is my jam http://www.krylon.com/products/matte_finish/ Hasn't failed me yet.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Luebbi posted:

I've recently bought a can of GW spray varnish, but heard such horrible things about it that I've left it unopened so far, ready to return it to the store for something else. Did I just hear exaggerations, or is it really poo poo in a can?

It's poo poo in a can, return it for something else.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Bachtere's post brings to mind a question, does anyone have preferred places they shop for display furniture?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
While we're on a varnish kick, do you have to dilute varnish that you're spraying through an airbrush?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

motoh posted:

Bachtere's post brings to mind a question, does anyone have preferred places they shop for display furniture?

My wife has been scouring antique shops for about a month now. We've found several that I would have purchased, but she didn't like.
So try an old antique shop. Curio and glass-front china cabinets rule for minis.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Cheapest glass cabinet is from Ikea. http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90182171/

Anything else is real furniture and costs money, chances are you might have to go custom for something that is good for minis.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Yes, the IKEA Detolf is the cheapest, but the problem is that the shelves are few and far apart for miniatures. I tried to remedy this by building my own shelves, half and full variants. Turned out pretty damned good actually.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
This is what we did for MSP's pair of Ikea cabinets.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Customizing_a_Glass_Display_Case_by_AesSedai

My stomach aches every time I open it just incase we didn't do it right and a glass panel falls and everything breaks. Has not happened but if we ever move it will be looked into.

At our current place I bought a big Billy shelf with two doors and 2-3 extra shelves. Looking online I can't find the makeup, in store you can kinda make your own. I didn't buy the glass shelves and I regret it, but the price was cheaper for the wooden ones.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
All this dullcoat talk has made me pop down to the hobby store and get some. I've been using a giant can of picture sealant to no ill effect, but experience shows me there's a usually a reason when a gaggle of fans crap on about the same thing over and over again.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm jealous of all you people with display cabinets, I don't have the room in my tiny flat for anything of the sort. :smith:

If we're talking varnish, I use Vallejo Game Color varnish, one coat of gloss then one coat of dull. Brush on, not spray.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 17, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I bought a Billy bookcase from Ikea, then fitted two of their glass doors to it, and replaced the shelves with their glass shelves. Job done.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I was quite lucky, when we moved into our old house someone left a corner display cabinet. I recently had to relegate it into my study in order to decorate the nursery. Not that anyone besides you guys ever saw my models anyway vOv

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Crowleraptor posted:

What would people recommend as the best games workshop varnish option?
Nitro solvent :colbert:

And seriously, only the old GW Matt Varnish in blue cans, from like 10 years ago. All recent GW "varnishes" are utter poo poo (yes, Purity Seal is poo poo, do NOT try it).

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If we're talking varnish, I use Vajello Game Color varnish, one coat of gloss then one coat of dull. Brush on, not spray.
And remember to give the gloss one a day to dry before you do matt; frosting is often caused by the underlying layer being still wet.
And I'm now calling my VGC Vajello paints :allears:

VVV: Hmm, I might try it before I make the scenic base+army holder. I have a half can of this crap and no idea how to use it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think I heard that purity seal is foam-safe, so you could use it to undercoat your terrain before you prime it, I guess?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pierzak posted:

And I'm now calling my VGC Vajello paints :allears:

Haha, whoops. :commissar:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OneTrueBru posted:

Finished off those practice Fists from the other day:

Gonna request a step-by-step on those Imperial Fists :drat:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Tendales posted:

I think I heard that purity seal is foam-safe, so you could use it to undercoat your terrain before you prime it, I guess?

I'm not so sure. I believe it's the aerosol in primer that eats through most foam.
I seal my foam with a watered down pva glue.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Flaky posted:

Gonna request a step-by-step on those Imperial Fists :drat:

The airbrush honestly does most of the work, all I need to do is make sure my highlights aren't utterly cack-handed, but here we go:

I don't generally do things in strictly regimented fashion, so you can shuffle the steps around a fair bit. The paints listed are from Vallejo's Game Colour range, but the metallics and washes are Citadel's.

0. Strip old ebay paintjob, slice fingers to ribbons removing chunks of dried glue and inhale plenty of plastic dust filing off mold lines. :v:

- Airbrush. (leave the weapon and base for later, glue everything else)

1. Prime white/light grey
2. Basecoat Heavy Goldbrown
3. Vaguely-zenithial coats of Sun Yellow, just don't spray underneath the model generally, and make sure it's smooth and bright.

- Basecoats + some washes.

1. Black basecoat, then Boltgun Metal for any silver bits. Wash 'em with BADABBLACK once dry.
2. Paint the armour ribbing, breather vent and the eyesockets black (or dark grey).
3. Charred Brown basecoat, then Burnished Gold for the gold bits. Wash 'em with Devlan Mud once dry.
4. Heavy Red for trim, purity seal wax and the aquila.
5. Beasty Brown was washed into the recesses and panel lines. Don't worry overmuch about little mistakes, the line highlight will likely cover them later.
6. Khaki basecoat for any parchment.
7. Imperial Blue coat for the eyes, leave a bit of black at the edges if possible.

- Highlights.

1. Highlight the front of the eyes with Ultramarine Blue, draw a fine line around the bottom of the lenses with Wolf Grey. Do the little white reflection dot at the back.
2. Highlight the armour ribbing with Cold Grey. Wash black if it's too stark!
3. 1:1 Bonewhite:Sun Yellow line highlights for the armour. Any really prominent bits can be hit with pure Bonewhite.
4. Bloody Red for the red areas. Final highlight with Hot Orange.
5. Bonewhite highlights for the parchment, do some squiggles with a dark brown. Light wash with Devlan Mud, then edge highlight the paper with Off White.
6. Silver metallics received a Chainmail highlight.
7. Gold metallics were given a Burnished Gold highlight.

- Finish up

1. Do the boltgun and base to your liking, and glue/pin them on.
2. Get angry at Apply decals.
3. Varnish the bastard.

...and done. I've probably forgotten something, but hopefully this is at least somewhat useful.

Squiggly Beast fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 17, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Ork Battlewagon, now with FULL MAGNET POWER

The front is fully magnetized to where you can switch out for the deffrolla or the ram, and the two orks in the back are similarly set up. The two guns on top didn't require anything more than a washer underneath to keep them balanced.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Khorne Berserker Rhino time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

Khorne Berserker Rhino time!

This is great. Did you use weathering pigments to add the faded brown around the tracks, or is it painted on?

My Dark Vengeance librarian, in-progress. He needs some work still, and some highlighting. Any other suggestions appreciated.

• Locked thread