Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I've officially got a bonkers problem...
I just moved into our new apartment and its a BRAND new building (finished in July.) It's a nice building, too. Not crappy.

Well I plug my iMac in and go wireless. All is well. When I use my TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet... about 5 minutes into usage my circuit breaker trips. Flip it, power on... Same thing.

Go back to wireless... no more tripping. Any thoughts? Anyone ever even HEARD of this or had it happen?

It worked ok in a 30 min test in my last building.

Before you go changing breakers is that all that you plugged in? Are there any high power consumption devices like heaters on the same circuit? I'm asking this because I don't want you to set your apartment on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

Tapedump posted:

That's the range of addresses you get when a device is looking to the router for a dynamic IP address (router is doing DHCP), but said device is not getting one.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address.html

Turn off the router, the switch, and the laptop. Power them back on in that same order, waiting a minute or two in between devices.

If the laptop still gets a self-assigned address (169.254.x.x), the switch is likely bad.

Ok, I tried that and I am still getting the 169.254.x.x...I guess I'll just exchange this switch as it seems to be bad. Thanks everybody for the help.

lazywhiteboy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 13, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

Before you go changing breakers is that all that you plugged in? Are there any high power consumption devices like heaters on the same circuit? I'm asking this because I don't want you to set your apartment on fire.
I'll investigate what else may be on the circuit but as for what I had plugged in in that room was nothing more than my iMac, an external HDD and the Powerline Ethernet dongle.

The dryer may have been running... When I get off the toilet I'll see if its on the same circuit or not. Honestly it's possible the little bedroom wall heater thing (strip near baseboard) is on that circuit... But it wasn't on.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I've officially got a bonkers problem...
I just moved into our new apartment and its a BRAND new building (finished in July.) It's a nice building, too. Not crappy.

Well I plug my iMac in and go wireless. All is well. When I use my TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet... about 5 minutes into usage my circuit breaker trips. Flip it, power on... Same thing.

Go back to wireless... no more tripping. Any thoughts? Anyone ever even HEARD of this or had it happen?

It worked ok in a 30 min test in my last building.

This is quite interesting, some people complains the breaker will attenuate the signal:

quote:

Most homes built after 2004 have Arc Fault Interrupters installed on all circuits serving bedrooms. Is the breaker that trips is an Arc Fault Interrupter or a Ground Fault Interrupter you might have to replace it. Please specify the company that manufactured the breaker. Some Arc Fault and Ground Fault Interrupters attenuate the HomePlug Signal. Square D, Eaton and Cutler Hammer breakers will pass the homeplug signal. Eaton makes a Classified Breaker that can be used in service panels other than Eaton Service Panels. I had to replace my Siemens Arc Fault Interrupters because of signal attenuation issues, with Eaton Arc Fault Interrupters in order to use HomePlug Adapters in my master bedroom. Unless you have had a lot of experience doing electrical work, have a qualified electrician replace any breakers that attenuate the homeplug signal.

while others complain about AFCI breakers tripping when there is a large amount of data going through it

quote:

I would gander that the high frequency two-way data communication is likely screwing with the electronics in the AFCI itself. I'm guessing they were probably only designed to be used with 60Hz, so here is possibly another application from advances in new technology that AFCI’s were never intended to handle.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I noticed that there was discussion in relation to the circuit breakers tripping. It's worth getting an electrician in to make sure the circuit isn't overloaded and then try changing the circuit breaker to one of the same rating but without the tripping problem.

I'm not recommending going to a higher rated circuit breaker as that won't necessarily address the problem and it gives an increased chance of electrical fire, then the risk of the insurance company finding out the wiring was non-compliant (something that I've advised loss adjusters of post fire).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

I noticed that there was discussion in relation to the circuit breakers tripping. It's worth getting an electrician in to make sure the circuit isn't overloaded and then try changing the circuit breaker to one of the same rating but without the tripping problem.

I'm not recommending going to a higher rated circuit breaker as that won't necessarily address the problem and it gives an increased chance of electrical fire, then the risk of the insurance company finding out the wiring was non-compliant (something that I've advised loss adjusters of post fire).

So confirm it's AFI or GFI and then (if given the blessing) try swapping to the other?

I may do that. Or I may just suck it up and decide that WiFi streaming from my mac to my PS3 is as good as it's going to get.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about such a random (and kind of fringe-off-topic) issue. :)

You, too, EC & Danza. :)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
So I just bought the Asus RN16 and installed dd-wrt onto it. So far so good, but I've been having a problem I've never encountered with wifi networks before. It has something to do with the way wpa/wpa2 works:

Basically, my roommate and I can only connect to the network if we the wireless security is using wpa. This makes sense because neither of our computers is particularly modern. However, my girlfriend's laptop (much newer) cannot connect to this wpa network. It can only connect if I create a virtual lan that is set to use wpa2.

The weird thing is that she connects to the wpa network just fine. She is assigned a DHCP ip, is totally recognized by the router, and she is listed as "connected." However, she cannot connect to the internet (even the router page will not resolve), and chrome keeps indicating that she is trying to connect through a proxy. I've never seen anything like it.

Is this just how things work with these newer routers, or am I doing something wrong?

edit: I've discovered WPA/WPA2 mixed mode. Problem solved

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 15, 2012

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Trying to set up new a roaming network on Airports (Modem -> refurb newest Airport Extreme -> refurb newest Airport Express) is really proving to be a challenge for me. I'm starting to wonder if the WAN port on the Apple-direct refurb Airport Express is shot, despite the usually bulletproof quality of Apple refurbs.

Anyone else try setting this up? I'm running the Airport Utility on a Windows machine, but can try again on a MBA if you all think that makes any difference. Checked through Apple support forums and noticed a bunch of different things to check (enabling IP6 on the PC, resetting TCP/IP settings) and still getting nowhere after my due diligence.

One method that worked for a lot of people recommended doing a factory reset (with Ethernet connected from AirExt LAN -> AirExp WAN), then using "Configure Other" with the IP address showing in the Airport Utility with the default password of public. The catch is that the Airport Express shows the private IP address of the Airport Extreme (ie: 10.0.0.X), so doing that takes me to edit the settings on the Airport Extreme and not Express.

Anyone go through this and have any ideas?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

SKULE123 posted:

Trying to set up new a roaming network on Airports (Modem -> refurb newest Airport Extreme -> refurb newest Airport Express) is really proving to be a challenge for me. I'm starting to wonder if the WAN port on the Apple-direct refurb Airport Express is shot, despite the usually bulletproof quality of Apple refurbs.

Anyone else try setting this up? I'm running the Airport Utility on a Windows machine, but can try again on a MBA if you all think that makes any difference. Checked through Apple support forums and noticed a bunch of different things to check (enabling IP6 on the PC, resetting TCP/IP settings) and still getting nowhere after my due diligence.

One method that worked for a lot of people recommended doing a factory reset (with Ethernet connected from AirExt LAN -> AirExp WAN), then using "Configure Other" with the IP address showing in the Airport Utility with the default password of public. The catch is that the Airport Express shows the private IP address of the Airport Extreme (ie: 10.0.0.X), so doing that takes me to edit the settings on the Airport Extreme and not Express.

Anyone go through this and have any ideas?
I have a last gen time capsule and latest gen express and roaming was configured automatically for me by the ios setup utility. It found the time capsule, asked if I wanted to extend the network or setup a new one. I initially had the cable connected to the LAN port of the express and it didn't work but switching to the WAN port, holding reset while plugging in the express, and repeating the initial setup got it working right away.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Just a quick couple of questions. I have a Virgin Media (UK ISP) provided cable modem and dual-band N-router. My internet speed for wired devices is ~60MB, but in my room upstairs it gets ~20-30MB on wireless. There is a fair amount of interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum - even on the emptiest channels, but I can't switch to 5GHz because the range isn't far enough (and I don't have an adapter)

Is interference likely the cause of this speed issue? If I physically move the machine closer to the router should my speed theoretically increase?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Interference is not the only thing that will impact on performance. Distance and the number and type of obstructions in the way of the signal have an effect. Wireless travels well if there is nothing physically in the way. The more walls and floors between your computer and the wireless router generally the worse the performance.

So yes the closer it is the router the better the performance.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Devian666 posted:

Interference is not the only thing that will impact on performance. Distance and the number and type of obstructions in the way of the signal have an effect. Wireless travels well if there is nothing physically in the way. The more walls and floors between your computer and the wireless router generally the worse the performance.

So yes the closer it is the router the better the performance.

Thanks, I will move it right next to the router tomorrow and see if the distance is the reason the speed is so lovely.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Hi guys, I'm just wondering how secure MAC Address Control is? Due to the Nintendo DS not liking anything other than WEP security keys, I've disabled my WSK/WPA key and set up MAC Address Control so that my ps3, pc, phone, DS, laptop (etc) are able to connect still. Will this be secure enough? I'm assuming from the description people still can't use my network, even though it doesn't have a password, unless i specifically allow them through my router page via their MAC number, is that right?

I'm not particularly worried about people stealing my internets cus I live around old people and I just can't see it happening but I'd like to know that it's not gonna be too easy for someone to do if they were so inclined.. :)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It is enough to stop someone from accidentally clicking on your network and trying to connect, but it will hardly slow down anyone actually trying to connect to your network intentionally.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
I've got three WAPs at a place (two AirPort Extremes, one AirPort Express, if that makes any difference). Is it best practice to have all the 2.4GHz signals on the same channel, or different channels? The area is pretty much devoid of other wireless networks.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Earl of Lavender posted:

I've got three WAPs at a place (two AirPort Extremes, one AirPort Express, if that makes any difference). Is it best practice to have all the 2.4GHz signals on the same channel, or different channels? The area is pretty much devoid of other wireless networks.

Definitely use a different channel for each. They should roam between APs if they have the same SSID.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -