Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

LLSix posted:

Fixed that for you.

:ohdear: Do not anger the trees man, they will cut you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So... who exactly was the target audience for this cartoon? I only watched up to right after the opening narration (with the guy talking about the Inner Sphere and how the Clans made the mistake of invading HIS HOME PLANET), and I only barely managed to understand what the gently caress was going on because of what I've learned of the setting from this thread.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

:ohdear: Goons gonna diiiie.

They have me in an Atlas. poo poo's in the bag.

...now PTN will murder me. :ohdear:

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished up to the 4 minute mark.

Now to do some more work on the update!

Please keep doing this.
I just about woke up my roommate when I saw the map of the Inner Sphere.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The cartoon is really inconsistent when it comes to Dropship/Jumpship artificial gravity. Also, even if you ignore everything else, you can tell it's the Space 80's by the unnecessary combat flips.

Edit: Oh man, watch through episode 3 at least- Elementals have never been portrayed more hilariously! Rocket-hugs AWAY! :glomp:

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 17, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

W.T. Fits posted:

So... who exactly was the target audience for this cartoon? I only watched up to right after the opening narration (with the guy talking about the Inner Sphere and how the Clans made the mistake of invading HIS HOME PLANET), and I only barely managed to understand what the gently caress was going on because of what I've learned of the setting from this thread.

It's kind of bizarre how much crap from the setting they stuffed in. The big dude with the beret drops mention of his citations and they're actually in line with battles the 4th Skye fought in 3039 and were given citations for, which also means the dude met Caesar Steiner once and it was probably the highlight of his life. I'm not sure if all the name-dropping is to pad the script (animating people talking is cheaper?) or if it's to lure board game grognards like me to watch a children's cartoon (which, even though I was a child AND BT gamer when it came out, I still knew it sucked).

To answer your question, the people who made the show don't know and neither do I.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

W.T. Fits posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I didn't need to understand the political implications of tentative cooperation between Kuritans and Steiners to enjoy giant robots blowing each other up as a child.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

W.T. Fits posted:

Ten year old me apparently.

That said, twenty seven year old me is painfully aware that it's not actually much better than the rest of Battletech's writing, and it makes Victor Steiner-Davion actually seem like he's not a total failure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So how do the Mechwarriors control the arms of the Mech to the point where they work like human arms (including fine control over individual fingers) if the control interface for the Mech is two joysticks, a bunch of buttons and a helmet that makes sure you don't fall over?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I didn't need to understand the political implications of tentative cooperation between Kuritans and Steiners to enjoy giant robots blowing each other up as a child.

It's not about the political machinations of the Inner Sphere. It's about the fact that the voice acting and animation are poo poo and nothing makes any sense on any level.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

So how do the Mechwarriors control the arms of the Mech to the point where they work like human arms (including fine control over individual fingers) if the control interface for the Mech is two joysticks, a bunch of buttons and a helmet that makes sure you don't fall over?

Toe buttons.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

DatonKallandor posted:

Tongue lever inside the neurohelmet.

And gauss rifle shells filled with angry bees.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Neurohelmet handles fine motor control too; it's just that the only person to talk about that was Robert N. Charette.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Neurohelmet handles fine motor control too; it's just that the only person to talk about that was Robert N. Charette.

"Robert N. Charette- Still better than whatever writer YOU like."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PhotoKirk posted:

Tongue lever inside the neurohelmet.

And gauss rifle shells filled with angry bees.
Please, they were filled with genetically modified super bugs that had their venom sacs replaced with "sea krate" venom.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I don't think there is a real answer, and each author made up their own. The GDL books mention that there is a secondary glove-thingy (a waldo, for a pointless bit of knowledge) that controls the hands and arms, for example.

How much the neurohelmet actually controls is another tossup, which varies from being balance only to directly controlling how the 'Mech walks and moves. The real answer is that both work exactly as needed to advance the plot.

The super bees help too, of course.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I probably won't be able to finish the update tonight, but I'm going to try. Most likely it will be tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, everyone!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arquinsiel posted:

Please, they were filled with genetically modified super bugs that had their venom sacs replaced with "sea krate" venom.

I know, I was there, but angry bees rolls off the tongue better. Remember his perpetual motion ship?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah yes, the infamous "bop drive" :pseudo:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 18, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, my parents are heading back home tomorrow; so expect an ER PPC Headshot update shortly after I get off work. Sorry about the delay, everyone.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's cool, I had the same situation last map, although my ER PPC headshot missed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, my parents are heading back home tomorrow; so expect an ER PPC Headshot update shortly after I get off work. Sorry about the delay, everyone.

S'all good, homes. You've been busting rear end on Battletech for a while now. No one's sweating you taking a couple days.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
He just doesn't know how to tell the thread that I somehow got an ER PPC headcap using LRMs. He didn't even know the dice could do that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Farseli posted:

He just doesn't know how to tell the thread that I somehow got an ER PPC headcap using LRMs. He didn't even know the dice could do that.

Do we know if he replaced those dice?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did not.

Incidentally, the update process has begun.

I will let everyone wonder whether this laughter is meaningful:

Ahahahaha!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did not.

Ahahahaha!

Whose mech tripped over onto its head and exploded?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did not.

Ahahahaha!
At... at least it isn't "mwahahahaha"?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Despite being a Cardassian he hasn't got the CJF accent down.

It's meant to be awkawkawkawk.

Grep that and you'll see what he sed.

:goonsay:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Despite being a Cardassian he hasn't got the CJF accent down.

It's meant to be awkawkawkawk.

Grep that and you'll see what he sed.

:goonsay:

I hate you so much right now. I still remember some of the bits of gawk I learned about in one of my CS college courses.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

landcollector posted:

I hate you so much right now. I still remember some of the bits of gawk I learned about in one of my CS college courses.

Awk is short for awkward, amirite? My job got so much easier (this was basically applying consistent documentation templates to an old FORTRAN sim at a NASA contractor) when I realized Perl wasn't lostech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sally Forth: Tactical Update 5

Combat Phase:

Cudgel wins with 19 votes (18 votes against)

“I’m fine with Cudgel,” Emil Voronov said. “Tag it, it will work for now.”

Piet grumbled into her microphone for a moment but held her tongue. She was less sanguine when Alimah’s LRM’s scored a hit on the still distant Talyn’s Cougar. Fist balled, she slammed it down on the transmit button. “Talyn is mine,” she’d only begun to say when a loud warbling squelch overpowered her transmission.

“You will follow orders,” Wilberforce corrected in tones as cold as hers had been fiery. Piet cursed into a microphone that refused to transmit and nearly bit through her lower lip as she struggled to keep her anger under control. Wilberforce continued unabated, his own fury cold as the winds on Strana Mechty. “Piet, you lost your place to an adoptee because you could not follow orders. I say you are a capable warrior; now help me prove it. Let us both show our former comrades that discarding us was a mistake.”

Mission Objective:

Defeat Clan Forces (0/10)

Or

Bypass Clan Forces (0/14)

Key:
X1 Banshee IIC, X2 Archer, X3 Po
X4 Merlin, X5 Marauder, X6 Hunchback
X7 Blackjack, X8 Dervish, X9 Vindicator
X10 Mongoose, X11 Hussar, X12 Cyclops IIC
X13 Exterminator IIC, X14 Atlas

Enemy Movement Mods:
Don’t matter this turn.
E1 Sohei: +3 Jumped
E2 Wolf Spider: +2
E3 Copperhead: +1
E4 Rifleman IIC: +2 Jumped
E5 Swordbreaker: +2
F1 Swordbreaker: +1
F2 Unknown: +2
F3 Unknown: +0 Stationary
F4 Seagull: +4 Jumped
F5 Anklebiter: +2

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 20, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Man I love these image readouts. I can follow the combat phase especially a lot easier now.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I foresee problems when someone will try to spot / shoot several targets in one round with this template.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

I foresee problems when someone will try to spot / shoot several targets in one round with this template.

It's a work in progress, it'll also have issues when damage overflows a section into another. I'll work around that as it happens.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not certain I like this format- it seems a bit crowded. The text-only layout for the turn itself worked just fine, and it was easier to get a look at the map to see the Goon movement before reading about the shooting/punching/Justice Foot-ing.

It's good to see some fire exchanged though, not that it's exactly going in the Gooncompany's favor. Next turn should be fairly interesting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So many clanners in the open, one of which is small, nasty and stationary. Hopefully gooncompany will be removing a pair of erppcs from the board this turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

So many clanners in the open, one of which is small, nasty and stationary. Hopefully gooncompany will be removing a pair of erppcs from the board this turn.

If they can get line of sight to it, I will be impressed.

apostateCourier posted:

I'm not certain I like this format- it seems a bit crowded. The text-only layout for the turn itself worked just fine, and it was easier to get a look at the map to see the Goon movement before reading about the shooting/punching/Justice Foot-ing.

It's a work in progress, and one I will refine. Would you prefer I use [TIMG] tags instead?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 20, 2012

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a work in progress, and one I will refine. Would you prefer I use [TIMG] tags instead?
Yes, that would solve the problems I have with the format. I like seeing the movement before the shooting, and that would allow me to do so even easier than the original format did.

Edit: Oh hey, I just noticed the "Zell status" and "Target" sections. I like that, it makes it a lot easier to tell what the enemy dispositions are for those unsure about clanner mentality, and allows at a glance to see which ones are safe to bait by pulling their target back to max range (but not beyond) and dog-piling on.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 20, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I like the new format. Makes everything a lot easier to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Switched to TIMG. Also, I'm working on an update to the combat sheet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2012

• Locked thread