Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

Weee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuff3
Oct 9, 2012

Thats bad rear end id ride it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
So I've decided to try screwing around with modeling DotA 2 items. I have some limited experience with Maya (but I'm not attached to it at all) and a lot of 2D experience. What software package would you guys recommend to a blank slate such as myself? Let's pretend I expand my use of it past DotA 2 junk, at some point.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Yip Yips posted:

So I've decided to try screwing around with modeling DotA 2 items. I have some limited experience with Maya (but I'm not attached to it at all) and a lot of 2D experience. What software package would you guys recommend to a blank slate such as myself? Let's pretend I expand my use of it past DotA 2 junk, at some point.

Maya seems to be the recommended package for working with DotA 2, so if that's where you want to start you might as well stick with Maya. I use it every day, so it's not bad or anything.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Trying to make animated water look good.

It's rendering at the moment, it might look total bollocks in motion.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

cubicle gangster posted:

That's actually really impressive. I've tried working with water a few times in the past and it's always been bland - akin to video game water.

Don't be disheartened by seeing it in motion - ILM have a small team of people, including a physics professor from Stanford, working exclusively on fluid simulations. Battleship and Pirates stretched it and now there's a new one in the works. Unless you have some serious coding skills behind it, anything in motion close to that still is worth being proud of.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't suppose there is some sort of awesome tutorial/guide out there that would let me look up max terms and give me the maya equivalents, etc, is there?

I switched from being an artist to a producer and we use maya at the new studio and so I don't have enough experience with Maya on the daily to really learn it, and I'm too lazy/busy to learn Maya in-depth in my free time.

I'm getting tired of hassling artists at work for "hey how do I do this Max function" all the time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

Ah, I always love making water using only noise and displacement. There was a really cool video from the Maxon site that showed how they did water in a movie, it quickly shows how they built up the layers of stuff, you're missing a few of them and it might be good to check it out:

(Direct Link to Video)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I don't suppose there is some sort of awesome tutorial/guide out there that would let me look up max terms and give me the maya equivalents, etc, is there?

I switched from being an artist to a producer and we use maya at the new studio and so I don't have enough experience with Maya on the daily to really learn it, and I'm too lazy/busy to learn Maya in-depth in my free time.

I'm getting tired of hassling artists at work for "hey how do I do this Max function" all the time.

I just use google for this very purpose and it always seems to work well.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I swear this does exist; I remember having a reference file(I think it was a PDF?) when I moved from XSI to Maya that listed all of the most common functions between Max, XSI and Maya, gave all the different names and hotkeys etc, but I'm hosed if I can find the drat thing now. I'll keep looking.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Jewel posted:

Ah, I always love making water using only noise and displacement. There was a really cool video from the Maxon site that showed how they did water in a movie, it quickly shows how they built up the layers of stuff, you're missing a few of them and it might be good to check it out:

(Direct Link to Video)

I do need more foam layers!
The little one I have at the moment is based on ao, but I need to develop a pass more like theirs. I'll do that in post over the top if this render works out :)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Hey there! I've just posted a new version of the rules for review, and I'd appreciate it if you all could take a moment to give it a read.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp-36TJXPTo
animated version. Might take a minute for the quality to increase.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

pipes! posted:

Hey there! I've just posted a new version of the rules for review, and I'd appreciate it if you all could take a moment to give it a read.

Please change all the header images to comic sans.

Thanks in advance.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Megaspel posted:

Please change all the header images to comic sans.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'll alternate between Comic Sans and Viner Hand for maximum clarity.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

cubicle gangster posted:

That's really amazing! Good job!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster posted:

Fantastic! If you need any more foam - it isn't much.

Are you following any particular tut? Always wondered how to do it from scratch.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Does anybody here use "ergonomic" chairs/mouse+keyboard/anything else in their work environment? Now that I'm working 40+ hours a week at the studio sitting in front of the computer, I'm finding that a regular computer chair really sucks. Some of my coworkers use the yoga ball, but I couldn't really get into it.

I was looking into something like this maybe:

http://www.amazon.com/AeroMAT-35955-Low-Back-Deluxe-Chair/dp/B000T9EHU6/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1350156042&sr=8-89&keywords=ergonomic+chair

I use a tablet for sculpting and modeling 90% of the time, but could a non-standard mouse work better for the wrist also maybe?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

sigma 6 posted:

Are you following any particular tut? Always wondered how to do it from scratch.

Thanks guys!
I'm not, but it is based on water I did for a yacht job last year, which I spend a couple of days loving around with. It's not wavy, but it gave me a good understanding of how the maps worked. I just did a search for it too, and you can find 3 of my images here - http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/boats/wally-ace-yacht/

The best thing I can say and the only way I can see to do it with any sort of relevant feedback is switch to scanline and create the entire thing in the diffuse map. I did a loving gang of test renders and knocking them out at a few frames a second was the only way i could figure out the motion. It's 2 noises in a mix and another 2 noises in a mix, both in a mix. The phase is animated on all and they all have seperate uv channels with the map moving. I'm not even sure how much of that is neccessary.

It didnt render anything like how it looks in the base, gently caress knows how you'd get a decent base out. The water in those still yacht images was heavily photoshopped too, it didnt render anything like you see in those stills. That look could be recreated in fusion with falloffs and dirts and various new maps though, given time, so i'm gonna have a go at doing a tropical version too.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 14, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

Thanks guys!
I'm not, but it is based on water I did for a yacht job last year, which I spend a couple of days loving around with. It's not wavy, but it gave me a good understanding of how the maps worked. I just did a search for it too, and you can find 3 of my images here - http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/boats/wally-ace-yacht/

The best thing I can say and the only way I can see to do it with any sort of relevant feedback is switch to scanline and create the entire thing in the diffuse map. I did a loving gang of test renders and knocking them out at a few frames a second was the only way i could figure out the motion. It's 2 noises in a mix and another 2 noises in a mix, both in a mix. The phase is animated on all and they all have seperate uv channels with the map moving. I'm not even sure how much of that is neccessary.

It didnt render anything like how it looks in the base, gently caress knows how you'd get a decent base out. The water in those still yacht images was heavily photoshopped too, it didnt render anything like you see in those stills. That look could be recreated in fusion with falloffs and dirts and various new maps though, given time, so i'm gonna have a go at doing a tropical version too.

Most of it I can do, but even in the maxon video they only really used straight noise/turbulence maps, how did you get the such harsh peaks/spikes in yours that you just posted (not the yacht one as much). I've never really been able to work out how to get a nice /\ shape out of noise.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

SVU Fan posted:

Does anybody here use "ergonomic" chairs/mouse+keyboard/anything else in their work environment? Now that I'm working 40+ hours a week at the studio sitting in front of the computer, I'm finding that a regular computer chair really sucks. Some of my coworkers use the yoga ball, but I couldn't really get into it.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroMAT-35955-Low-Back-Deluxe-Chair/dp/B000T9EHU6/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1350156042&sr=8-89&keywords=ergonomic+chair

I use a tablet for sculpting and modeling 90% of the time, but could a non-standard mouse work better for the wrist also maybe?

That looks interesting, I remember wishing something like that existed (probably already did!). A couple of my coworkers had yoga balls but I didn't like how low they sat.

I got one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002L15NS0/ref=mp_s_a_4?pi=SL75&qid=1350215386&sr=8-4

It seemed like Maya/Unity/scripting days were better in the kneeling chair, but tablet days were more comfy in the office chair (which didn't have arms so I would tend to sit on sideways and/or fold my legs up onto it, doubt that was good for posture.) My current job has so-so chairs with annoying arm rests so I'm thinking about bringing it back in.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

SVU Fan posted:

One of my coworkers has one of those, she said she would rather have a regular chair.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Are there any city style procedural building generating scripts that anyone would recommend?

I need to rapidly prototype something and don't have the time to manually throw some buildings together.

This was looking really promising but I can't get it to run in Max 12.

http://tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen.htm

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I used ghosttown to do a 1.5sq mile part of korea for a job a while ago. the images arent public, but it handled it very well.
I drew each area over a google maps plan of the site, made the main street cuts and let the script do the rest. looked pretty convincing.

edit: http://kilad.net/site/

It's a few more versions along now too, it looks incredible now.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Awesome thanks I'll take a look at that. Figured out I needed to run max as an admin to get the previous script to run.

Also downloaded the SoulCollection to detach the models once they're generated.

Why companies don't use this script for sandbox games I have no idea.

Unless they do.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So for a short film I'm working on in Maya I have a character who is going to pick up a mask and wear it around. Should I put a joint in the mask and then attach it to the rest of the rig once the character puts the mask on? Or should I do something else? Is it possible to key joints so at one point something is attached to a rig and at another point it's not?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Ccs posted:

So for a short film I'm working on in Maya I have a character who is going to pick up a mask and wear it around. Should I put a joint in the mask and then attach it to the rest of the rig once the character puts the mask on? Or should I do something else? Is it possible to key joints so at one point something is attached to a rig and at another point it's not?

When I did something like this I had two masks: one already attached to the character, and one loose in the scene to be picked up. Once they picked it up and placed it on their face, I keyed the visibility so the one rigged to the character became visible and the loose one vanished. Line it up right and you shouldn't even notice the switch.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Ccs posted:

Is it possible to key joints so at one point something is attached to a rig and at another point it's not?

Yes, you can use parent constraints on the object that's getting moved around, but they can be a bit of a pain to work with. floofyscorp's method sounds like a good trick.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

floofyscorp posted:

When I did something like this I had two masks: one already attached to the character, and one loose in the scene to be picked up. Once they picked it up and placed it on their face, I keyed the visibility so the one rigged to the character became visible and the loose one vanished. Line it up right and you shouldn't even notice the switch.

This works better than animating the constraint on and off IMO.

cubicle gangster: Thanks. I am mostly a maya guy, so your instructions only made a little bit of sense. Since there are so many prebuilt water / fluids in Maya's visor, I generally just do that. However, it would be nice to have a simple workflow in case I wanted to build a water material from scratch.

SVU Fan: I have pretty bad RSI. Best thing I can recommend is build yourself a STANDING workstation. Seriously, it is much healthier and allows you to keep your arms bent at a 90 degree angle (less wrist strain).

I recommend Ergatron products but you can probably find generic copies of their stuff cheaper.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
So we're thinking of experimenting with Octane and Unity in our pipeline to increase output volume/detail and enable us to do some realtime interactive material with our products (playgrounds, pavilions, water slides, etc park stuff). Anyone have any experience with either of those? How much am I going to hate my life?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I don't know about Octane, but Unity is lovely. By far the most artist-friendly engine/pipeline I've ever worked with, such that I pine for it at work :sigh:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Might be worth looking into lumion.

http://lumion3d.com/

cryengine powered and incredibly straightforward.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

cubicle gangster posted:

I used ghosttown to do a 1.5sq mile part of korea for a job a while ago. the images arent public, but it handled it very well.
I drew each area over a google maps plan of the site, made the main street cuts and let the script do the rest. looked pretty convincing.

edit: http://kilad.net/site/

It's a few more versions along now too, it looks incredible now.

This is awesome. Is there something comparable like this for Maya? I don't need anything of this high detail, but something that could generate a bunch of randomized cubes on a grid or road structure would be really useful!

Barring that, I'll just fumble it in Max and then export to Maya, maybe?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

This is awesome. Is there something comparable like this for Maya? I don't need anything of this high detail, but something that could generate a bunch of randomized cubes on a grid or road structure would be really useful!

I actually was looking for stuff like this yesterday. I found two free scripts. One is QTown http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/modeling/poly-tools/c/qtown and Kludge City http://kludgecity.wordpress.com/.

Q Town is for building entire cities. It makes 1 building per face and Kludge makes 1 building per plane mesh. I haven't played around with Kludge yet since I didn't know how to use it, but I have played with Q Town a little bit. It would have come in handy a few months ago when I was doing a flyover of a city. Can be seen about 1 min in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ud56bs5Knk

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Yeah.
You can make a shitload of facade textures and have it use those on more simple geometry, it'll handle all the mapping for you. If you also made reflection & displacement maps for each one too you can fake a shitload of detail very quickly, and have a gang of control over the look of the whole thing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys texture your stuff these days? I mostly low-poly model so its traditional PS and Max, but I'm making a high poly character very slowly and just about ready to start texturing. My friend said I'd be mad to do anything but paint the high in Zbrush and after watching some vids it looks awesome!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't know if it's gotten better (I assume it has), but as of a couple years ago, I hated polypainting in Zbrush. It seemed so weird to me for my texture painting to be tied to the polycount, and when I was a beginner, the fact that matcaps didn't bake out into texture maps pissed me off and soured me to painting in Zbrush.

I've had great personal success using the 3DCoat/Photoshop linked combo. Painting in 3DCoat is pixel-based and uses a layer and blend mode set up meant to mirror Photoshop's, so you can literally swap between painting on your flats to painting on the model and back again with menu options in 3DCoat.

To each their own, I guess.

Disclaimer: I work in games, so my desired end result is to export some maps to then load into a game engine. If you're just rendering cool stuff or whatever, that'll be a different work flow.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I do too so I may have to experiment and see which works best for me. Is 3d Coat free?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No, unfortunately. I guess it also depends on your choice of style. If you're handpainting everything, then you probably wont do much better than Photoshop. If you're relying on a lot of normal map information and such, your bakes and Zbrush work will go a long way before you even put color down.

I'll reiterate again, though, that the last time I painted in Zbrush was literally a couple years ago, so I'm sure it's changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Awesome thanks man. Yeah this is going to be very normal heavy so hopefully a lot of info will be down for that. I was going to use the lightbox tool thingy to paint his face on from photo ref as well. I do however like to hand paint pretty much anything I can so I think this will be an interesting exercise.

I'll spam you guys with some more updates once I've finished unwrapping the low.