Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ugh, so our toilet clogged we think due to flushable kitty litter, however it's been like 12 hours or so and I've plunged the hell out of the toilet and even gone through the trap portion with a little auger thing. It previously was not flushing at all, now it flushes very slowly.

I've tried plunging, augering, letting some grease-busting soap with warm water sit in the pipes for a while... any other household cures I can try in the meantime?

I'm calling the landlord tomorrow but figure I might as well keep trying in the meantime. At this point I don't think it's the litter, that stuff breaks up in about 1 minute of contact with the water, so maybe it just grouped a bunch of non-soluable stuff together before it dissolved which is now the source of the clog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

You can try a longer snake that you can attach to a drill, but if you used a closet auger and it didn't help, you're probably out of luck unless there's a cleanout fitting you can get to downstairs (if you're opening the cleanout below a clogged toilet, cut a neck hole and arm holes in a garbage bag and wear it to reduce the risk of being covered with poop.)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
My doorknob's lock has been sticking recently when getting the key in and out. Previously, our pet-sitters had used powdered graphite on it to get things moving smoothly. I just hosed it all down with a silicone lubricant and now it works like a dream.

I'm okay with purchasing new hardware for the front and back doors if this fix has broken anything, so I'm just curious if silicone lube will ruin/break my doorknob locks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Nah, it should be fine. But if you want a permanent fix, you might just be able to get away with taking it to a locksmith and getting it re-set. It might just need new pins and springs. That should only cost you a few bucks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I installed a pre-hung interior door recently, and I need some help with the casing. The frame is slightly less deep than the rough opening, maybe a quarter inch inside and outside. Enough that nailing the casing to the frame will leave a sizeable gap on the outside edge, too wide to caulk effectively anyway. What should I use to shim that? Screen bead i think might be too thick, and I'm not sure what I could use that would be thinner.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is this door frame going to be painted or stained? There's always wood putty... Even if you're staining, I've gotten pretty good results from Minwax stainable wood filler before.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 15, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Is this door frame going to be painted or stained? There's always wood putty... Even if you're staining, I've gotten pretty good results from Minwax stainable wood filler before.

Yes, painted most likely. The casing I have is pre-primed, as is the door and frame. So I'm guessing the idea is to shim every few feet along the frame for nail support, and fill in the gap with filler? I have some variety of filler that I used on a previous project that was quite gritty even after sanding, is there a specific variety I should look for?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

stubblyhead posted:

I installed a pre-hung interior door recently, and I need some help with the casing. The frame is slightly less deep than the rough opening, maybe a quarter inch inside and outside. Enough that nailing the casing to the frame will leave a sizeable gap on the outside edge, too wide to caulk effectively anyway. What should I use to shim that? Screen bead i think might be too thick, and I'm not sure what I could use that would be thinner.

Ideally the door jamb depth is sized exactly but if its not, you can put on a sufficiently sized strip to extend the jamb.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I just bought a trailer house and the back bedroom has some soft spots in the floor here and there (its just straight plywood). Would I be ok to put down some hardibacker over the plywood or should I tear the entire floor up before putting it down? This might be a dumb question, I'm not too keen on home repair stuff. I kinda just bought this house for 1500 bucks because it was cheap, and in decent condition.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
You should replace it but be prepared to find further damage once you start opening things up

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I'm planning on building a fence and buying 8' prefab shadowbox panels to nail to the posts and I can't seem to find a conclusive method of attaching them. So far I've seen 2 approaches:

Use joist hangers on the post to support the stringers
Since I don't want to knock the outer 2 pickets off the panel, I can't use double-shear hangers; I'd have to use angle iron or toe-nail them in.

Attach panels to the side of the posts
I'll have to adjusting my post spacing from 96" to 92.5" to accomodate. Also, because the pickets on these particular panels alternate sides -- in other words, if a picket is outward-facing on the left, it will be inward-facing on the right of the panel --, I'd need to buy an extra picket or some other 5/8" spacer to keep the panels straight.

I think there's maybe just something fundamental that I'm missing.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 17, 2012

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Untrustable posted:

So I just bought a trailer house and the back bedroom has some soft spots in the floor here and there (its just straight plywood). Would I be ok to put down some hardibacker over the plywood or should I tear the entire floor up before putting it down? This might be a dumb question, I'm not too keen on home repair stuff. I kinda just bought this house for 1500 bucks because it was cheap, and in decent condition.

Replace it. It'll require it eventually, you may as well do it now vs. a couple years down the line when your heavy expensive furniture/large relative goes through the floor.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Untrustable posted:

In the alternative, if you don't want to rip up carpeting, you can do what I did at my brother-in-law's doublewide: cut plywood to just fit between the floor joists, also cut some 2x4, crawl underneath the thing; slam the plywood up against the soft spot, and sister in the two pieces of 2x4 to the adjacent floor joists with nails or screws to hold it in place.

His problems were mostly in traffic areas & doorways. His floor material was Masonite, which is like a thick, compressed cardboard :wtf:

His home is on a concrete slab, and it was free of nasties and dead critters, so YMMV.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My home flooring problem solved itself. When the movers put the wheels on the trailer, it ripped in half.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

His home is on a concrete slab, and it was free of nasties and dead critters, so YMMV.

It's on a concrete slab, but also has a crawlspace?

Untrustable posted:

My home flooring problem solved itself. When the movers put the wheels on the trailer, it ripped in half.

Are you familiar with the expression "a blessing in disguise?"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Are you familiar with the expression "a blessing in disguise?"

Yeah, so instead I'll just use the brand new windows, doors, and other assorted bits cannibalized from the now ruined trailer to add six feet of width to my current 12X50 trailer. I might make a thread to chronicle myself, and my family full of contractors tearing apart my 1500 dollar mistake and using it to improve the other trailer I own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Untrustable posted:

Yeah, so instead I'll just use the brand new windows, doors, and other assorted bits cannibalized from the now ruined trailer to add six feet of width to my current 12X50 trailer. I might make a thread to chronicle myself, and my family full of contractors tearing apart my 1500 dollar mistake and using it to improve the other trailer I own.

Do this, it sounds redneck awesome as hell

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

stubblyhead posted:

It's on a concrete slab, but also has a crawlspace?

It's a trailer...It's rolled in on wheels, then jacked off the axles onto deadmen, so there's a crawlspace on the slab, under the trailer.

So It's sitting on a slab. As opposed to sitting on dirt.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I've got my basement torn down to the studs for a remodel. I am going to have drywall installed. 2 questions:

1. Does the orangepeel texture traditionally sprayed on drywall do anything besides make it easier to hide blemishes? Acoustic dampening? My plan is to have it done smooth, without the texture.

2. What country of origin is best for drywall? Should I simply specify 'not Chinese' in the contract, or what? Does the U.S. even manufacture drywall anymore?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
There are different "levels" of drywall finish
http://nationalgypsum.com/resources/tech-talk-revisiting.htm

Lower levels are suitable for texture (spray, skip trowel, etc). Takes less time/money. Smoothwall (level 5) is rather time consuming to do it right but leaves a smooth finish

National Gypsum (what you'll find at the big box) is made in the US. I don't think you'll be able to find Chinese drywall anywhere

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
My door-handle seems to have broken spectacularly. At least I can't get back in if I end up outdoors somehow. The locksmith costs a bazillion to hire for fixing it.

The handle can rotate 360 degrees without opening the door, and I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that I basically can't leave my apartment now. Any hobby-locksmith who knows how to fix a doorhandle that rotates without opening the door?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Remove your door handle, get a friend to watch your place for an hour, and go get a replacement at the hardware store (take the old one with you). On the other hand if it's an apartment, this isn't your problem. Call the landlord.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Vim Fuego posted:

I've got my basement torn down to the studs for a remodel. I am going to have drywall installed. 2 questions:

1. Does the orangepeel texture traditionally sprayed on drywall do anything besides make it easier to hide blemishes? Acoustic dampening? My plan is to have it done smooth, without the texture.

2. What country of origin is best for drywall? Should I simply specify 'not Chinese' in the contract, or what? Does the U.S. even manufacture drywall anymore?
If you're in the US, you'll want to use American-made drywall. Drywall is heavy as gently caress and expensive to ship; anything you get shipped from overseas is going to be so cut-rate that quality will suck abysmal rear end compared to what you get domestically for the same price. Most of the big producers (national, georgia pacific, etc.) all have regional plants to reduce shipping costs. (ex-LF lurkers: Don't forget to c/p this to grover.txt! Though, as a REAL quote, it might not have the same punch as the rest of your library, sorry.)

There are two ways to finish drywall: plaster and mud & tape. In both cases, it takes a lot of effort to make drywall smooth and still hide the joints. For plastering in particular, textured coats are a lot cheaper because they're quicker to do. Not a big difference, mind you, but it will cost you a little more for smooth. Smooth coats are required by code in kitchens and bathrooms, but you can do whatever you want in your basement.

DoD writes exhaustive guidespecs for construction, but it's all public so you can unabashedly steal it for your own use:

Some contract posted:

3.2 APPLICATION OF GYPSUM BOARD
Apply gypsum board to framing and furring members in accordance with
ASTM C 840 or GA 216 and the requirements specified. Apply gypsum board
with separate panels in moderate contact; do not force in place. Stagger
end joints of adjoining panels. Neatly fit abutting end and edge joints.
Use gypsum board of maximum practical length; select panel sizes to
minimize waste. Cut out gypsum board to make neat, close, and tight joints
around openings. In vertical application of gypsum board, provide panels
in lengths required to reach full height of vertical surfaces in one
continuous piece. Lay out panels to minimize waste; reuse cutoffs whenever
feasible. Surfaces of gypsum board and substrate members may not be bonded
together with an adhesive, except where prohibited by fire rating(s).
Treat edges of cutouts for plumbing pipes, screwheads, and joints with
water-resistant compound as recommended by the gypsum board manufacturer.
Minimize framing by floating corners with single studs and drywall clips.
Install 5/8 inch gypsum or 1/2 inch ceiling board over framing at 24
inches on center. Provide type of gypsum board for use in each system
specified herein as indicated.
3.2.1 Application of Single-Ply Gypsum Board to Wood Framing
Apply in accordance with ASTM C 840, System I or GA 216.
3.2.2 Application of Two-Ply Gypsum Board to Wood Framing
Apply in accordance with ASTM C 840, System II or GA 216.
3.2.3 Adhesive Nail-On Application to Wood Framing
Apply in accordance with ASTM C 840, System III or GA 216. This method may
be used in lieu of ASTM C 840, System I at the option of the Contractor.
3.2.4 Semi-Solid Gypsum Board Partitions
Provide in accordance with ASTM C 840, System IV or GA 216 .
3.2.5 Solid Gypsum Board Partitions
Provide in accordance with ASTM C 840, System V or GA 216.
3.2.6 Adhesive Application to Interior Masonry or Concrete Walls
Apply in accordance with ASTM C 840, System VI or GA 216.
3.2.7 Application of Gypsum Board to Steel Framing and Furring
Apply in accordance with ASTM C 840, System VIII or GA 216.
3.2.8 Arches and Bending Radii
Apply gypsum board in accordance with ASTM C 840, System IX or GA 216.
3.2.9 Gypsum Board for Wall Tile or Tile Base Applied with Adhesive
In dry areas (areas other than tubs, shower enclosures, saunas, steam
rooms, gang shower rooms), apply glass mat water-resistant gypsum tile
backing board or water-resistant gypsum backing board in accordance with
ASTM C 840, System X or GA 216.
3.2.10 Exterior Application
Apply exterior gypsum board (such as at soffits) in accordance with
ASTM C 840, System XI or GA 216.
3.2.11 Glass Mat Covered or Fiber Reinforced Gypsum Sheathing
Apply gypsum sheathing in accordance to gypsum association publications
GA 253. Follow gypsum sheathing manufacturer's requirements of design
details for joints and fasteners and be properly installed to protect the
substrate from moisture intrusion. Do not leave exposed surfaces of the
gypsum sheathing beyond the manufacturer's recommendation without a weather
barrier cladding. Provide continuous asphalt impregnated building felt
over sheathing surface in single fashion with edges and ends lapped a
minimum of 6 inch. Property flash the openings. Seal all joints, seams,
and penetrations with a compatible silicone sealant.
3.2.12 Floating Interior Angles
Minimize framing by floating corners with single studs and drywall clips.
Locate the attachment fasteners adjacent to ceiling and wall intersections
in accordance with ASTM C 840, System XII or GA 216, for single-ply and
two-ply applications of gypsum board to wood framing.
3.2.13 Control Joints
Install expansion and contraction joints in ceilings and walls in
accordance with ASTM C 840, System XIII or GA 216. Fill control joints
between studs in fire-rated construction with firesafing insulation to
match the fire-rating of construction.
3.2.14 Application of Foil-Backed Gypsum Board
Apply foil-backed gypsum board in accordance with ASTM C 840, System XIV or
GA 216.
3.2.15 Application of Predecorated Gypsum Board
Apply predecorated gypsum board in accordance with GA 224. Attach
predecorated gypsum board with adhesive and fasteners as recommended by the
manufacturer. Conceal fasteners in the finished work.
3.2.16 Application of Impact Resistant Gypsum Board
Apply in accordance with applicable system of ASTM C 840 as specified or
GA 216. Follow manufacturers written instructions on how to cut, drill and
attach board.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 19, 2012

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Any way to get glue/tape remains from windows? I left them up far, far too long and I have difficulty getting them off again. Right now I'm using water to wetten the stuff and a razor to scrape it off but it is slow and costs a lot of effort so I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Get a window razor, they're a big handle that the razor mounts on and it cuts the worktime by about a billion minutes. A little Goo Gone will help too (get the gel so it doesn't run if you're working on vertical surfaces like a window), or acetone if you don't value your nervous system or the stuff around the glass.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Any way to get glue/tape remains from windows? I left them up far, far too long and I have difficulty getting them off again. Right now I'm using water to wetten the stuff and a razor to scrape it off but it is slow and costs a lot of effort so I'm hoping there's an easier way.

I've had luck with lighter fluid, but Goo Gone is the better option as far as being sure you'll get it off/not choking on fumes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Namarrgon posted:

WD-40 works great too.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I just noticed that my water heater has a very slight leak around a panel about 1/3 of the way down. We knew it was getting older when we bought the house, so I assume its in the process of giving up the ghost. The one we have now is electric, does anyone have any recommendations on models or brands, or any sort of advice about what to look for in a replacement?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For any kind of sticker or tape, naphtha will remove it nearly instantly.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I had some water intrusion in the ceiling and wall above a window a couple years ago. The leak was fixed, but I've never gotten around to doing anything about the fact that the leak spot looks like poo poo. I want to fix this:

The walls are lathe-backed plaster, but this is an exterior wall so it's probably brick. I have no idea what's behind the ceiling, as it sucks rear end to get into the attic. I patched a hole in a wall a while ago by busting out the broken stuff, cleaning up the hole and the lathing, and filling with some plaster patch and it looks great. Can I do this same basic thing here, or does the fact that it's a ceiling/exterior wall and water damage make a difference? I did some reading online, and it recommends sealing it. Is that necessary in this case?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If not the wall but the ceiling leak caused that problem and it has been properly patched, then sealing it shouldn't be necessary. Don't bother getting up in the attic. If the roof is only a few inches above that crack, then there wouldn't be any room for you to even get a close look at it. You got the right idea: chip out all of the loose stuff (you may have to take down the window trim if it goes behind it) and patch it up.

The thing that sucks about textured walls and ceilings is that they're a bitch to match.

CadavericSpasm
Nov 5, 2009
How do you get oil-based primer off of glass, i.e windows?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CadavericSpasm posted:

How do you get oil-based primer off of glass, i.e windows?

Utility knife blade used as a scraper.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Glass scraper

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I just finished a 21x21 cross stitch piece and want to hang it on the wall. I am broke, but want it to look at least semi presentable. Frames at that size are pretty expensive, but I wouldn't use the glass or anything. Is there any way I could rig up a frame on the cheap? Any other methods of hanging a tapestry-like thing that I'm not thinking of? There are rough edges, but I suppose I could fold them back somehow.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Can someone tell me what the appropriate uses of electrical tape actually are? It seems like all the things a MacGyver type would want to use it for would be unsafe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

wrapping electrical wire i guess, but heatshrink insulation is better if you have it. I can't stand electrical tape, leaves nasty residue all over poo poo.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

NancyPants posted:

Can someone tell me what the appropriate uses of electrical tape actually are? It seems like all the things a MacGyver type would want to use it for would be unsafe.
Electrical tape is designed specifically to be used with electrical installations and is non-conductive and stable. It's used in conjunction with other styles of tape for wrapping split-bolts. Multi-colored tape is used for permanently marking larger conductors (which only come in black). Tape is also used a lot when pulling cables through conduit and other temporary work.

Here's a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tsx6im7qng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007
I have a quick question that I hope has a quick and easy answer.

I recently borrowed a friends Craftsman 33cc Trimmer. It started up fine a few times, then the pull string got caught and wouldn't retract.

I took the back off, fixed the string issue and placed it back on, but now the engine won't start. I have absolutely no experience with this, so if anyone knows how to fix it, please pretend I'm 6 years old when explaining.

I just don't want to return it and say, "Oh yeah it won't start because I hosed it up."

Thanks in advance.