Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I forgot to post these because I was so bummed :(

Everything sort of fitted in. :)

Yeah, it's a pretty big oil cooler if you can consider the trash can is a standard size drum.

I couldn't find the little plug for this port on the oil filter housing so I put a broken pressure meter on it and clipped the lines. Works for me!

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
Synchro shift or MTL is too to thin to run by itself if you're making anything past stock power. The synchros survived just fine in my car, the bearings on the other hand..... MT-90 is thick enough to deal with power but always left me with a slight clunkiness on the original and a Jacks rebuilt. Now I run the Diaqueen and its been the best shifting fluid I've ever used. Though looking at how thin it is and how quickly it gets dirty I kind of wonder about its tolerance for big power. A 50/50 mix of MTL and heavy shock proof work too, but I'm far too lazy to bother mixing things.

The type of fluid has almost no bearing on leaks. You have other issues at hand. Scored up axle stub shafts or bad seal install. Maybe even a spot in the trans case section where somebody didn't use enough RTV or rubbed it off putting it together. Also check the transfer case seal going into the trans.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Was only a quart down on the transmission, put a quart of MTL 90 in there and shifting is back to normal. Seal holds. Car is now starting. Oil pressure gauge is hooked up, oil cooler is mounted (but barely fits with the current oil filter and the way the intercooler is set up etc.

Yay no leaks, driving the car! :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Mini-update:

Car currently drops about .1 V per day-ish or less. Not terrible, but I'm keeping the killswitch concept going.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I started a tumblr for engine bay inspiration:

http://jdmspirits.tumblr.com

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I've been looking into rebuilding my JIC setup, and other than the fact that they're looking pretty rusty and awful, I might make a swap to this:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/vendor-announcements/444944-2g-koni-based-coilover-group-buy-dennis-grant-specs.html

as they're based around dyno'd konis versus "mystery" valved JIC. I really wish I hadn't run the JIC shocks through the winter.

Blaaaaaaaah

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Octopus Magic posted:

I've been looking into rebuilding my JIC setup

Have you called RRE to see how much this would run? I am honestly curious and would one day like a set of Muellerized JICs.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

Have you called RRE to see how much this would run? I am honestly curious and would one day like a set of Muellerized JICs.

I called up JIC and it's going to be around 800 bucks for a full rebuild with new shocks, fresh exchanged springs, and completely rebuilt all around. I'll be sending them out at the end of the week or so (I hope).

800ish is a lot cheaper than spending 1700+ on a Koni setup that it's more or less equivalent to.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Octopus Magic posted:

I called up JIC and it's going to be around 800 bucks for a full rebuild with new shocks, fresh exchanged springs, and completely rebuilt all around. I'll be sending them out at the end of the week or so (I hope).

800ish is a lot cheaper than spending 1700+ on a Koni setup that it's more or less equivalent to.

Does JIC USA still hate John or have they kissed and made up?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Don't know, don't really give a poo poo. He still sells JIC stuff so whatever.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Ok, so I went through this thread and found my checklist:

Immediate tomorrow night plans:
Pull SRS airbag light.
Stick a silencer in the exhaust for inspection.
Put my old Eclipse wheels with sumitomos all around on it temporarily.
transfer over the current DSM Link settings for backup.
-- All Done
Shop plans:

Catch can for oil blow by, catch can for radiator overflow, -- Deprioritized Had the breather line rerouted to the intake, not worrying about the coolant container yet.
Reattach the pull fan to the radiator because the mounts broke. -- Removed fan. Was only hooked up ans an A/C fan. Might get a SPAL pusher or something down the line.
Heat shield the turbo more. -- Oops
Heat shield the intake filter. -- Double oops. Need a new intake filter at some point, will probably just shield it myself with aluminum
Install the Brembos (the car already has nice braided stainless lines on it, woo hoo). -- DONE! (need some brake pads though)
Replace the braided stainless steel clutch line that I blew. -- DONE
Clean up the wiring harness and the crap alarm wiring harness. REMOVED
Latch down the battery better (maybe go to a mini setup) -- DONE Went mini battery
Mount the Advan wheels and tires. -- DONE
Dyno Tune it -- kind of done
Check the front balljoints out. -- DONE (joints replaced)
transfer over the oil cooler setup from my other car. -- DONE

Mid range:

Clean up the interior (new center console, new driver side sun visor, vacuum it , etc ) -- DONE
Swap gauges from the cheap stuart warner crap to the Greddy stuff from my Eclipse. (Maybe go Stack?) -- DONE+1 (new Greddy PHW boost gauge! Clean wiring harness too!)
Swap seats from broken down DSM to my Zeta 3 --DONE
Put the radio/HKS EVC 6 in. --DONE
Put rebuilt JIC Suspension back in. (have to send this out) --Sending out this weekend
Align the car. -- post JIC install
Transfer over the rollbar. -- some weekend job
Upgrade to V3 DSMLink. -- DONE

Far off plans:

Paint/Eclipse conversion with ricer front end. -- uhh
Duct hood. -- ummm
Clean up and sell the Eclipse off. -- IN PROGRESS

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 3, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Belldandy posted:

Does anyone not hate him? Although I guess when it comes to evo suspension you either hate Mueller or hate Robi or hate them both.

I'm not a huge fan of the JICs but rebuilding them seems like the right choice. Otherwise it's Konis or spending 2500+

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

JIC might not be the best but 2G DSMs are really limited on suspension offerings, and they were good enough for me at NHMS and Limerock. For 800 bucks vs. 1800 for very slightly better performance isn't worth it. K+W varient 3s are dumb and don't come with upper mounts (which is RIDICULOUS for a loving 2300 dollar suspension setup) so I'd have to get that custom machined and get better spring rates than what they come with which is a whole lot of effort++ for another "okay" shock.

If I had my druthers I'd drop 5-6k on a set of custom Ohlins up at AMF Motorsports in New Hampshire, but I'm really not at that level.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Octopus Magic posted:

JIC might not be the best but 2G DSMs are really limited on suspension offerings, and they were good enough for me at NHMS and Limerock. For 800 bucks vs. 1800 for very slightly better performance isn't worth it. K+W varient 3s are dumb and don't come with upper mounts (which is RIDICULOUS for a loving 2300 dollar suspension setup) so I'd have to get that custom machined and get better spring rates than what they come with which is a whole lot of effort++ for another "okay" shock.

If I had my druthers I'd drop 5-6k on a set of custom Ohlins up at AMF Motorsports in New Hampshire, but I'm really not at that level.

Not until you beat me at Mt. Akina you aren't.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Not until you beat me at Mt. Akina you aren't.

Uphill or downhill???

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Shipped out the shocks, took measurements before I sent them out. Should be there on friday. :neckbeard:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Took a deposit on my red car today... Will be sad to see it go but I just don't have the time to work on it like I should.

:smith:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Took a deposit on my red car today... Will be sad to see it go but I just don't have the time to work on it like I should.

:smith:

I'm surprised someone wants it with the amount of rust under there. Are you happy with the amount?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BoostCreep posted:

I'm surprised someone wants it with the amount of rust under there. Are you happy with the amount?
Of what, rust? :haw:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I'm okay with it. Wish I could've spent more time on the car to get another grand or more out of it.

Pulling off the suspension really wasn't as hard as I thought ir was going to be. I could've salvaged the car definitely but like I said, I just don't have the time/access to the vehicle.

Basically it's going to pay for a new front bumper + door caps + carbon rear hatch + aerocatches + suspension rebuild.

Fine by me.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 17, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

And she's gone.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A sad day indeed. I'll pour out a forty of Mobil 1* in memoriam,

*not really cause that poo poo's expensive yo but the sentiment is there all the same

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RIP Redbutt, the DSMiest of us all.

Hopefully the new owner will make good use of it. :(

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Good memories of that car :( Did you leave the Grand Slam Pro stickers on?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Good memories of that car :( Did you leave the Grand Slam Pro stickers on?

All stickers were left on the car including Mai Merodee. :sigh:

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

All stickers were left on the car including Mai Merodee. :sigh:

Ohhhhhh buddy. :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Ohhhhhh buddy. :(

at least i got the photos of my ex that were somehow sitting in there????

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

MY SUSPENSION came in this weekend.

I forgot to post the pictures.

(ignore the measuring tape, it was for references and I totally forgot to take pictures of which shock goes where so it was totally stupid what I did).

Before all blown and busted:

After:

Look pretty drat good IMHO.

Going to install them next spring, no point in letting them sit on the car doing nothing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Let's talk vents!

My car has a big turbo. It needs big cooling. Vents help cooling (as does shrouding and such

Here are some vents that I am considering:

Instant Gentleman/Supermade Hood vents. $199

Pros: Look small enough to fit with the "power bulge".

Cons: Too much Nissan sourcing? Expensive for 2 pieces of fiberglass.

Old reliable Carbontrix vent. $189.

Pros: Cheaper, Carbon.

Cons: Not really as much airflow. as some others.

Outlier:

Mustang GT500 hood vent.

Pros: Super cheap.

Cons: Mounting is a pain, might not clear my upper radiator hose. Might be too wide because stupid power bulge.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A guy I know did this:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, I've seen that car on tooners, but I'm not ready to ditch my stock radiator setup just yet (2G's radiators go stock to the middle of the radiator rather than the side).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Figure out where the low and high pressure zones are on the car, cut hood as necessary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A good excuse as any to drive around a track with three dozen stripper tassels stuck to the panelwork.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I thought the AI method was a ball of yarn, tape, and a camera. :v:

I think closer to the leading edge of the hood the better. I'd go with the carbontrix one.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
You can always try the greyforest mod.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/67265-greyforestgsts-project-hood-vents.html

jtmcinder (old mod) spent a couple of weeks and drew a grid out on his car at one point and mapped the pressure (using vacuum line, tape and a mechanical boost gauge) and said the greyforest mod is pretty much in the center of the lowest pressure area on the hood. I think it fits the bill on price. Hoods are cheap enough to cut up and see if you like the results before trying it with the one on your car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

You can always try the greyforest mod.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/67265-greyforestgsts-project-hood-vents.html

jtmcinder (old mod) spent a couple of weeks and drew a grid out on his car at one point and mapped the pressure (using vacuum line, tape and a mechanical boost gauge) and said the greyforest mod is pretty much in the center of the lowest pressure area on the hood. I think it fits the bill on price. Hoods are cheap enough to cut up and see if you like the results before trying it with the one on your car.

I remember that mod from back in the day, but not particularly fond of how it looks with two little weenie vents right there, as dumb as that sounds.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Octopus Magic posted:

I remember that mod from back in the day, but not particularly fond of how it looks with two little weenie vents right there, as dumb as that sounds.

It is perfectly legitimate. I haven't seen it in person and don't feel like cutting up a hood only to decide I hate it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

It is perfectly legitimate. I haven't seen it in person and don't feel like cutting up a hood only to decide I hate it.

Yeah. I just think it'll look silly/think it looks silly no matter how functional cheap it is.

Speaking of which, I finally broke down and bought a crabon hatch /C-West S15 knock off front bumper.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Busted butt for a good 2.5 hours on pulling off the rear bumper. Despite being a Florida car, I still snapped 3 bolts on removal.

The rest of the day I spent wiring up my Japanese tails. Someone at Mitsubishi took the easy way out when they were building the wiring harness vs. the Talon harness. Didn't get to build the angle brackets, but compared to the wiring I'm doing it's easier doing this junk.

Reverse lights aren't getting any power, I think it's the reverse switch. Going to go back at it on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Screw you, Talon rear end!

Rear hatch and front end are coming in tomorrow.

• Locked thread