Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

PISS is literally the greatest. :3: I think this might be my third year to participate and every time I've gotten toys I would have never thought to get for Koji and he LOVES them (as well as subsequent fosters. Sasha, whenever the hell she goes home, is going to be taking those animal balls I got last PISS because she has to play with them all the time and Koji likes them but not as much as little miss obsesses over them.) That and treats that he can eat because PI goons know how to read ingredient labels. :h:

I also loved being able to rePISS someone and make their experience awesome.

Goon generosity is the best generosity. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Topoisomerase posted:

To be honest, it looks like an unlicensed Amish puppymill trail to me.

Oooohh, I bet that's it! There's one out in IN across the border, I have a client who bought a dog from them. :rolleyes: Thanks! Not that it's good news... :sigh:

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Oh yay! PISS talk has begun. I definately plan on participating again this year. I love shopping for other people's pets and seeing all the crazy pics of everyone's gifts. Last year, HuskyJackal made me a very cool drawing (scratchboard) of Archie and Gus which I absolutely love. It's on display in my living room. Even more special since I lost Gus a few months later.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I would very much love to do PISS again. Maybe I'll even see about going international this year :3:

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
We too are looking forward to PISS!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oooohh, I bet that's it! There's one out in IN across the border, I have a client who bought a dog from them. :rolleyes: Thanks! Not that it's good news... :sigh:

I was talking to a GSD lady over the weekend who was telling me that I'm lucky that George is probably puppy milled (which I'm not so sure of anymore, though I think the most likely scenario for him being dumped is "impulse buy that got too big") because puppy milled GSDs don't have the same hip dysplasia problems that a lot of the show lines do. I'm not sure if that's true or not but it could be a positive spin for the little guy if it is. :unsmith:

Tangentially (the lady above did this), I'm kind of getting sick of GSD people complimenting me on George and asking about his breeding and then getting all weird when I say that he's a rescue and I don't know his lines. They always fixate on his hind dew claws as a reason he "must not be purebred" or "must be puppy milled." I'm like, hey stranger your dumb rear end is the one who was just raving about how pretty he is and what a good example of the breed he is so what does your sudden change of opinion say about you? Not everyone does this by any means and it's not like I don't appreciate education about the breed but seriously.

Amusingly enough the single most experienced GSD person I know is the only one who didn't do that when he found out about George's background. He comes up and started asking about his breeding, comments I remember are [paraphrased], "Now this guy must be from German lines, and he's clearly bred for work rather than show." When I was like, "I don't know, maybe?" and told him how I found George, he was like, "that's great, so many good GSDs wind up in bad places!" and then went on to tell me why he liked George and what George's faults (from a breed perspective) are. It's not that I expect compliments for rescuing my dog, but it's nice when people don't automatically think he must be a lovely dog when they find out that someone dumped him in the desert and I was just lucky enough to find him.

Sorry for the rant, I had a short conversation like that today too so I'm grumpy. Here's a picture of the monstrosity modeling his new hiking gear shortly after I got him back from his interim home:

Not the best picture but most of my photos of him are blurry shots of him jumping at the camera because he thinks it must be a toy so...:shobon:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

2tomorrow posted:

I'm kind of getting sick of GSD people ... breeding ... lines

Here's a picture of the monstrosity modeling his new hiking gear shortly after I got him back from his interim home:

Ugh I don't like those purebred people, and I tend to really like purebred dogs. I don't care if my dog is sired by the winningest dog out of the winningest bitch. Are the pups healthy? Were the parents healthy? Were they bred for the right reasons? Lines and championships don't really matter to me. I mean, I think GSDs should be able to work, and ScH is "their" sport. But it doesn't really intrinsically matter if my dog is West German with SchH3 going back 10 generations or from a breeder that produces obedience- and agility-titled family pets. What matters is a healthy, mentally-sound dog that can do what it should, according to breed characteristics.

George looks awesome! I love all the red gear.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Yeah, it's a bit of a culture shock for me because all my other dogs (except maybe one, but he's probably an intentional herding cross) are in the same boat--almost certainly purebred ACDs, but rescues so little idea of their breeding. But I live in the country and so everyone works their ACDs, so you don't get that snobbiness about origins. If the dog can work (and mine can), then they're cool. I've been peripherally aware of that sort of snobbiness about bloodlines but it just hasn't really been something I experienced firsthand until I got George.

Thanks for the compliments on him and his red gear. I think he looks lovely in the color. Right now he's in a blue-and-purple reflective collar though. I got it on clearance at REI and it is really well-made and super hi-viz so I love it especially because a lot of our search training is in the evenings so I'm tracking him in the dark. Often I pick up the reflection from his collar before the much larger reflective patches on his work vest or the glow stick I attach to him. But then we go hiking and it clashes with his snazzy red backpack and makes me sad (we've long since graduated from the head collar or I'd really be a mess).

I'm sure you all wanted to hear so much about my canine fashion sense.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
I have never participated in PISS but I've lurked in this forum since 2005 and always wanted to. I only recently got my own account, so I can post and stuff. I hope I qualify to participate!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm going to try to talk my mom into letting me participate this year after missing out last time :|. The cat lives with her, so she has to be in on it or she freaks out on me. (The internet scares her.) I had lots of fun the first time. I'm super busy and hoping I can even go home for a few days this year, but I can probably manage just by buying stuff online. :ohdear:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Part of why I got a forum account was so I could participate in PISS.

The foster program I got my cats from is having a bake sale this weekend! I have really cute silicon molds in the shapes of cats that I'm going to make chocolates with!

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I love PISS, mostly because I love buying things for pets I don't have or toys and treats that Maverick doesn't like. I cant wait!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

This showed up on my Facebook, not sure if it's valid or not but I bet some PI folks would be happy to take home a bomb-sniffing dog:

quote:

The United States Marine Corps has around 400 IED (Improvised Explosive Device) sniffing dogs that are being decommissioned and need forever homes.
They all need forever homes. Most of the dogs are breeds such as:
Labradors, Belgian Malinois, Border Collies, German Shepherds &
Rottweilers. These dogs are all incredibly well-trained. Many of them have served in war zones and are responsible for sav
ing countless American, NATO and foreign lives. The dogs are based in the District of Columbia (D.C.). Adoptive families

must be able to travel to D.C. to pick up the dogs or arrange transport at their own expense.
Please help these war heroes get the lives they deserve.
The contact for interested adoptive families is:
Brian D. Miller PM IED Detector Dog Program
Marine Corps Systems Command
910-652-3645 Ext-321
brian.d.miller7@usmc.mil
PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. THANK YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wouldn't falsifying a usmc.mil address be a huge pain in the rear end? Most of my pals in Okinawa were marines. All their work email addresses are usmc.mil at the end. And I'd imagine if he was trying to puppy mill older dogs out via a military address, they'd get rid of him.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Yay! PISS! I have been thinking about being that crazy person to mention PISS first for last couple of weeks. On the way home from work I had decided I was going to post today. Now I don't have to be the first crazy person. Yay, PISS!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

RazorBunny posted:

This showed up on my Facebook, not sure if it's valid or not but I bet some PI folks would be happy to take home a bomb-sniffing dog:

It's not valid. I am not sure whether that many dogs have suddenly been decommissioned or not (seems unlikely to me as it is usually an issue of individual dogs retiring rather than massive cuts, but my only experience is with local PDs/SOs, not military so who knows how relevant), but if those dogs were in need of homes they have them by now.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Wouldn't falsifying a usmc.mil address be a huge pain in the rear end? Most of my pals in Okinawa were marines. All their work email addresses are usmc.mil at the end. And I'd imagine if he was trying to puppy mill older dogs out via a military address, they'd get rid of him.

I believe the guy it is attributed to is real, but it seems that he is not the author of the email. I'm guessing it is something like a situation I saw a couple of years ago, where like 70 horses of a certain breed needed a home, it went viral and they were all rehomed within a few days but I'm still seeing it crop up like 3 years later. Either a misunderstanding or a situation that happened a long time ago and somehow got revived.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 17, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I couldn't find anything online debunking it :( The Marine Corps is doing a massive personnel drawdown, so it made sense that they might be decommissioning dogs too, but I guess there's a good chance it could be a fake. In which case I feel bad for the guy who owns that email address.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I've never done PISS but I think I'm going to this year! I love shopping for gifts :) And ooh the nail polish secret Santa sounds kinda awesome too. I might be a little obsessed with nail polish though. Unforunately (or not, depending on your perspective) Savannah's toehawks are way too long to make painting her nails practical, they'd get all gummed up with polish before it dried :(

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Neena posted:

I've never done PISS but I think I'm going to this year! I love shopping for gifts :) And ooh the nail polish secret Santa sounds kinda awesome too. I might be a little obsessed with nail polish though. Unforunately (or not, depending on your perspective) Savannah's toehawks are way too long to make painting her nails practical, they'd get all gummed up with polish before it dried :(

Doooo iiiiiit.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Trial run of having Bailey in my room tonight- thus far he was very worried about the crate moving and wasn't sure he wanted to enter my room but I gave him nice treats, opened the kennel door and he settled right in. We'll see how this plays out.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well at work today I had to protect a pit bull from a labradoodle. WELP.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
^^^If I were a cool dog and a labradoodle was coming right for me I'd probably be a bit taken aback too

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Well at work today I had to protect a pit bull from a labradoodle. WELP.

Labradoodles are always the real bastards. Every time poo poo went down at the daycare or boarding, it was always a drat ~doodle starting it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I mean, at LEAST this doodle was huge and gray, and could have passed for an Irish Wolfhound mix. That was his only redeeming quality. He hates other dogs (why the gently caress is he in daycare) and is obsessively needy toward people. Some guy came up to the window to be all "omg lookit all the doggies lol" and the doodle lost his loving mind because he thought he was going home with that guy or something. He was bouncing around whining and pissing the other dogs off so it literally became like a pool of snarling, snapping dogs. And me, just one poor little attendant to deal with that.

I loving hate doggie daycare.

e: ^^^ At my previous daycare I actually had a doodle who was a very polite, but shy, guy. It was SO awesome for him there because the groups were small and with some encouragement from me he was really coming out of his shell and playing awesomely with some of the other dogs. I felt awful for him that it got shut down. :(

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 17, 2012

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Unfortunately, DOGPARTY is off until next week due to scheduling conflicts. Disappointing, but it gives me more time to figure out the best way to do the meat-cake.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I actually saw a labradoodle at Petco on Sunday that was really well put together. Like, he was just a very sensibly built, compact, nicely shaped dog with better overall conformation than all of the poodles and labs I see. I'm sure it was a total accident, but it was neat to see. Most of the labradoodles I run into look like retarded muppets.

edit: it was because hybrid vigor.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

edit: it was because hybrid vigor.

Saw a goldendoodle patient die of a highly invasive, fast growing brain tumor at the age of 2. Hybrid vigor.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Anyone looking to breed top top longhaire super Quality GSDs? This fine specimen is for sale!
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/classifieds.viewad?adid=161813

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Well I don't think I'll be doing that again. Got maybe ~3 good hours of sleep. Every time I tossed or turned or adjusted myself Bailey would move around, whimper, or lick stuff. Finally around 3am he started pawing at the door. I waited for him to be quiet, let him out into the bed room and then he stared at me/ wandered around the room snuffling loudly. Finally at 4 I kicked him out into the living room and kept the door open just in case he wanted his crate back.

God drat it dog.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

WolfensteinBag posted:

Anyone looking to breed top top longhaire super Quality GSDs? This fine specimen is for sale!

I think my jaw dropped looking at that. That is a really messed up looking dog or crippled tribble

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Let's make a dog that is gargantuan AND lacks the ability to support its own body!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Superconsndar posted:

Let's make a dog that is gargantuan AND lacks the ability to support its own body!

also, is just kind of ugly

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Well at least you don't have to worry about him jumping up on someone and knocking them over. He'd try and his legs would give out.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

a life less posted:

also, is just kind of ugly

It looks just sad and bear like. I want to cuddle it and its disproportionately huge legs.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oh god, it's legs! :gonk:

I found a woman's lost dogs today. As I was coming out of work I noticed this HUGE reddish-brown dog wandering around the parking lot. I could see that he had a collar on, so I just assumed that he had probably just jumped out of a car and was giving his owner a hard time. Then a Chocolate Lab puppy, probably about 6 months old, comes running after him. I call to them and they run up to me; I grab the big guy's collar and luckily he has tags, so I called the owner's number and sure enough, he'd escaped from his yard earlier this morning. She lived about a mile and a half away from the shopping center. There is a Pet Supplies Plus right next to my work, and in the process of hanging up the phone I lose my grip on the big dog and he runs right into the PS+. Luckily the workers there were awesome and slipped leashes on the dogs while we waited for the owner. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the big dog - he definitely had some mastiff in him, he was really gorgeous.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Saw a goldendoodle patient die of a highly invasive, fast growing brain tumor at the age of 2. Hybrid vigor.

But she was so nice and sweet, although I guess that could have also have been due to the brain tumor :(

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

How do these dogs even breed naturally? The average American show GSD's legs look like they're going to give out under it own weight. Add another dog, and you've suddenly got a big ol' puddle of hip dysplasia flopping on the ground.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
http://imgur.com/FnLXy

Ausiedoodle.
Ausie. Doodle.
:ughh:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Oh, they're been around a while too and they can be spectacularly ugly. The only thing I don't understand is mixing two breeds that already have the non-shedding type of coat. Maltese and Poodle- what sense does that make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I want a Rottweiler, Cocker spaniel, Poodle mix. So I can call it a Rockadoodle. But seriously wouldn't that aussie/poodle mix be seven levels of hell to groom?

• Locked thread